• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC is finally the golden standard for gaming

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
High frame rates and resolution on pc over consoles and that's about it. That's what you call a golden age?
If You Say So Ok GIF
And better input lag, mouse&kb for shooters with no pathetic aim assists, better FoV, 21+: 9 screens, mods, emulators, tons of exclusives since The Pong, free online, fast loading times for games up to the PS4 gen, providing tech for consoles to exist for some dirty peasants come here be ignorantes/hypocrites and that's about it, I think. And i didn't call anything golden age. You must be seeing things on my posts.

For me, I just want my medal of honor series back. Sadly, they whored for a VR title, like valve did.
You do know that Medal of Honor went on as Call of Duty, right? The MoH devs left and started Treyarch, from which the first CoD's came.
So if you're looking for MoH, look for CoD.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
20 years ago ? In 2002 ? Medal of Honor Allied Assault was released to universal critical acclaim and would lay the foundation for the ultra scripted FPS template and the team would go on to make Call of Duty. Unreal Tournament 2003 was released. Battlefield 1942 would release and go on to sell millions and usher a new era of multiplayer games. Gothic 2 and Morrowind were released. Blizzard and Ensemble would do battle in the strategy space with Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3, which would go on to create the MOBA genre and also become the fastest selling PC game in history and the 7th million seller Blizzard game.

Soldier of Fortune 2, No One Lives Forever 2, Jedi Outcast, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale 2, Hitman 2, Syberia 2, Mafia, Age of Wonders, Medieval Total War, Mechwarrior Mercenaries, Stronghold.

Jesus, now you made me wish i could go back in time to that time when pc was so shit that it was shaping gaming history that we feel this very moment still
Imagine saying the time of these games was shit. Typical auto-aim suckers judgement/peasantry.

Emulation is amazing but also disgusting. Nothing ever feels and looks as good as original
Eh, I have to disagree here. I mean sure, "opinions" and all, but this is bordering on false.

I am a retro enthusiast and own many retro consoles and games with varying setups. And on PC, a retro game running on RetroArch with nice shaders feels and looks GREAT. So a nice 2D pixel game with nice scanlines/CRT shaders looks great. As for 3D games, I don't play my actual physical Dreamcast anymore and play my Dreamcast games on RetroArch instead, because once I saw Soulcalibur running at a native (1440p) on my monitor I was absolutely floored. I can't go back to the OG Dreamcast. Same for GameCube games, Dolphin is amazing and I no longer play those games on the actual GameCube (well, Wii, since I have a Wii that's backwards compatible with GameCube games).

Not to mention some key additional features:
- on PC, I can play any retro game with any controller I want. So for Dreamcast or GameCube games for example... I hated both of those controllers for fighting games, but can instead play them with a nice pad of my choice on PC
- You have community stuff like Retro Achievements that breathes new life into retro games. (Shout out to NeoGAF's own jshackles jshackles who introduced me to it.)
- You have other cool things like the Resident Evil 2/3 HD mods for GameCube on Dolphin, mods for games to be compatible with widescreen or performance mods like making some games 60fps, etc...

So I would say that depending on the retro game and environment, emulation on PC may actually be superior for the reasons I listed.

It's better now than it ever was. Night and day better. And still getting better.

To say otherwise is senile old fart think.
So you're saying this: Agree with me or you're an idiot.......

Hmmm, riiiiiiiight. And you're SO wrong!!!

Mobile gaming is bigger than PC right now. Let that sink in. Golden Age, HAH!
The Golden Age was late 90's/ early 2000's.

After that, shit went downhill and you know it. Unless you're like a 20 year old who doesnt have the faintest clue what you're talking about.

I guess you're just oblivious and are trying to justify having a 1.5 - 2k Unicorn Rainbow RGB light in your room.

ViolentP

I mean, even the original Xbox One had modular customization to some extent. But even that wasn't more difficult than pressing 1-2 buttons. PC's are years away from that level of user-friendliness imo.

Not sure how differently performing harddrives and mid-gen upgrades are relevant to this argument? The majority of console users buy harddrives simply to store some extra games. Not to cut their loading times from 19 to 13 seconds. And mid-gen upgrades are purely optional and straight to the point (1. buy console 2. play game)
Performance disparity. Console gamers are not stupid. They can install upgrades if needed. I think they prefer simplicity however. Plug and play on equal footing. That idea is dying.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I feel like with the disappointing news of Sony not meeting their forecast is a sign that players from Playstation has indeed migrated to PC. Expect to see this trend in the coming decades.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: AX8

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I have to confess: whenever someone says he didn't like DOOM Eternal, I think it's because he played it with a controller. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I played '16 with one since back then my PC sucked, but when I went to play Eternal on PC I immediately realized how much faster it was and how it required far more precise shots. Don't know how you are supposed to achieve those with a gamepad.
By relying on tons of aim assists fooling them making them to think they are good at aiming. And then coming here saying the difference is only resolution and expensive hardware.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
By relying on tons of aim assists fooling them making them to think they are good at aiming. And then coming here saying the difference is only resolution and expensive hardware.
Yeah it sucks. I could never play an FPS with a controller, just as I never could play an action game with KB&M.

At least it seems that more games are able to use KB&M on consoles, pretty cool imo.

Maybe it's a sign of consoles becoming more and more like PCs, which imo is the inevitable future. You have KB&M on consoles, and this gen it's having games with (bare-minimum, for now) graphical settings.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah it sucks. I could never play an FPS with a controller, just as I never could play an action game with KB&M.

At least it seems that more games are able to use KB&M on consoles, pretty cool imo.

Maybe it's a sign of consoles becoming more and more like PCs, which imo is the inevitable future. You have KB&M on consoles, and this gen it's having games with (bare-minimum, for now) graphical settings.
Depends on the game. I play Batman Arkham games with mouse+kb, but not Devil May Cry.

i agree. then again, most cpus from that era still rocks nowadays

you could chug a 1070 on your 3770k and keep gaming at 1440p or whatever. i remember the times when best gpu you can match with a 2500k was a gtx 580... it can even stride along with a gtx 1060

i'd say a 5600x will probably be able to handle a 4070/5070 at 1440p. the good thing about a base PC build is that if you create a good basis of ram/cpu/mobo, you can easily upgrade your GPU and keep on with it
Correct on all fronts. My original PC build (which, again, I use as a backup/hobbyist machine these days) has the original 3570k I bought in 2014. That is "only" a 4-core/4-thread processor but it STILL performs great.

I have an IRL buddy who keeps telling me that the 2600k is the greatest processor he's ever owned. He's now on a 5600x (or 5700x, can't remember), and yet he still sings the praises of his original 2600k.

So all that is to back you up in that yes, a good core base (MoBo + CPU + RAM) can go a very long way.

Klik

You do know that CoD and A LOT of other games support KB&M on consoles? I play 120 fps with mouse and keyboard on ps5. No need for a pc.

Let's face it. PC's for gaming are WAY overpriced and the lack of "install and go" doesn't help the Golden Age argument.

Tinkering with settings, drivers, unoptimised console ports.... Yeah pc is the way to go........

I went from PC to console because of the ease of use. Consoles are catching up to PC's just like consoles caught up to the arcades. And that for a fraction of the price.

Go ahead and grow an E-peen with your 1000 dollar GPU's, I'll just press power and be gaming 20 secs later.

Golden Age my ass.
Well to be honest before i though same as as you, like i said i was a ps4 player for years. Warzone is supporting mouse&kb, how about apex, battlefield etc?
I really start to appreciate PC gaming, i love that so many people are using mics, talking, love that there is a chat, there is huge community in every game. On PS is just so isolated, you feel like you're playing alone.

Also, yes PC gaming is a bit more expensive. But you know what, this is hobby of mine and i only have 1 life to live, that's why i wanna be 100% happy with it. On PS i always felt like it was half experience.

Also like i said, if someone loves racing games, PC is the way to go. GT7(played lot of GT Sport) has big playerbase but there are so many dirty drivers/phiyscs and handling are way to arcade..

I'm glad consoles finally have decent CPU and SSD, it will benefit gaming overall. But PC gaming is an amazing experience especially if you have decent rig. I played Apex on PS4 pro for like 500hours and now when i play on PC with mouse at 144hz its just totally different story.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You do know that CoD and A LOT of other games support KB&M on consoles? I play 120 fps with mouse and keyboard on ps5. No need for a pc.

Let's face it. PC's for gaming are WAY overpriced and the lack of "install and go" doesn't help the Golden Age argument.

Tinkering with settings, drivers, unoptimised console ports.... Yeah pc is the way to go........

I went from PC to console because of the ease of use. Consoles are catching up to PC's just like consoles caught up to the arcades. And that for a fraction of the price.

Go ahead and grow an E-peen with your 1000 dollar GPU's, I'll just press power and be gaming 20 secs later.

Golden Age my ass.
PC has support for kb&m (plus minimum input lag for this) for 100% of the shooters since Wolf3D or before, not just some new CoD or other penny. LOL at "A LOT".

.Pennywise

Banned
PC gaming has been the gold standard for at least a solid decade now. We've been having PC versions of the majority of AA/A third parties for a long while now. Not to mention all of the many genres and publishers that are exclusive to PC since forever.

Instead of 3x the price it's 2x the price. Prices are still very high.
Nah. You can finally get GPUs at retail price after being 5x its price for years. And you can actually get them, when just a year ago it was near impossible to find one.

Nah. You can finally get GPUs at retail price after being 5x its price for years. And you can actually get them, when just a year ago it was near impossible to find one.
Fair, depends on what we're calling "retail" though. Reference cards by Nvidia, for example, are still a bit hard to find. Those are what most people think of as "true" MSRP.

For example, the 3070 reference is $499. I got an email today (finally! After over a year of being in the queue) from EVGA saying that their 3070 FTW is available for... I think $750 after taxes. So although that's EVGA retail, it's still a 50% markup over reference retail.

PC has support for kb&m (plus minimum input lag for this) for 100% of the shooters since Wolf3D or before, not just some new CoD or other penny. LOL at "A LOT".
Wolfenstein didnt have mouse support. Just sayin'.

And yes, city builders, lots of fps games, mmorpgs support kb&m. But I guess this is the best retort you can give? Try harder.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Wolfenstein didnt have mouse support. Just sayin'.

And yes, city builders, lots of fps games, mmorpgs support kb&m. But I guess this is the best retort you can give? Try harder.
Do you think mouse support comes only officially? Your peasantry is showing. Again, LOL at lots, compared to pc.

Last edited:

Boss Man

PC Gaming is dead yada yada

After a long time, we can finally say that PC is the best platform to invest in regards to gaming. Despite the Master Race and whatever memes going around. The truth is, PC was always there as a gaming platform, but it never could get to be the definitive platform. Consoles were way easier back in the day, just plug & play. Then consoles got really powerful and really good (sometimes better than PC) online experiences. And when consoles were not so plug & play anymore, they had the best exclusives that you couldn't get on PC. Also most players would play games on consoles and their playerbase was always helthier.

In the last recent years, PC has been growing enormously, and kept getting more and more stuff. Nowaways almost all third party games come out for PC. All Xbox first party day one. Like 95% of Nintendo games get up being emulated and played even better than in its console. And even PlayStation first party are now getting in. Online is free and you have such a wide offer between AAA free to play games, cheap indies, platforms gifting games all weeks, getting seasonal offers every other month. Games being cross-play so you don't suffer from poor playerbase. And new technologies making your hardware last longer and more competitive (DLSS).

BUT
The Nation of the Bitcoin and Pandemic attacked...

And despite the PC getting the best of the best by long miles... It was impossible to get one without getting your anus walltet pounded. GPU, RAM and even some CPU prices were laughable when you could get a console for half the price of just one of those components...

UNTIL NOW!

Finally, after years, prices are literally plummeting.

And with that last wall falling, PC is finally entering its Golden Age.

wFOLHOg.jpg

Kev Kev

Kev, my good man... You're one of my favorite posters here so I'll approach this in a bro-tastic fashion. First of all, I'm not trying to convince you of anything here, we're just having a chat.

Second... Fair enough on your point, although I'll tell you that when I started with PC tinkering was nowhere near my radar, at all. Even putting my first PC together, most of the work was done by my good buddy who had experience putting gaming PCs together. I just wanted to turn the damn thing on and wanted it to work with reasonable framerates. Start Windows, open Steam, launch the game. That's it.

And I was such a giant pussy about the hardware (even though it was glorified Legos) that I didn't want to touch or mess with anything, even if my buddy's handiwork left a mess of cables inside the PC box. Only over time did I become more confident, to the point where I now proactively enjoy putting together a nice build with a clean, organized cable layout.

Back in those days, if somebody threw terms at me like "ambient occlusion" or "God rays" or even asked me the difference between "FXAA vs 4x MSAA" I would tell them to take a hike, because I didn't know... and more importantly, I didn't give a fuck. (To be honest there are some aspects of graphical parameters I *still* don't give a fuck about 😂)

But there are easy things that even then I was able to tell with my naked eyes. Things like framerates. Things like 720p vs 1080p. Things like higher quality textures. So often I would just choose pre-canned settings that I liked and improved on those high level things I could see. And over time (because I'm a naturally curious guy) did I start looking into the lower level settings.
TL;DR: not everyone is looking for that same "best graphics and performance that is reasonably possible" gaming experience. some, like myself, just want the process as simplified as humanly possible, even if that means an inferior experience.

yeah no hard feelings man! just discussing. my posting style comes off as more aggressive than i mean for it to, my bad.

so yeah i hear ya on all that and ill say this... if they release something where i dont have to think about hardware or parts or components, then im in. something i can just buy, plug in and enjoy video games for that generation (~8 years i suppose), then im 100% in. if its comparable in price to a new xbox or PS, then im in, lets go!

i just havent seen something like that take off yet. as soon as i do, i will start to consider making a purchase. but even then, my horrible experiences with PC gaming in the past will absolutely factor in to my buying decision, and i likely wont even be interested enough at that point (kinda like i am right now, tbh).

consoles won me over. i love the experience of a console. the ease of use beat out any desire for me to want a PC gaming experience, despite consoles being graphically and performance inferior. they just work, and you dont have to fuss with a whole lot. and i think i speak for a lot of people when i say that, we are having a blast with our consoles and simply have no desire to consider switching to PC 🤷‍♂️ why would we? "have you played titanfall!?" lol jk jk

the funny kicker to all of this is... im actually really on board with cloud gaming and the idea of not having a console or PC at all. having a puck, brick or stick, and just streaming everything and the only thing i have to worry about is having a controller will be *chefs kiss* :messenger_weary::messenger_ok: amazing. i cant wait for that future to be here (and it almost is!).

which is more to my point that i dont care about ultra high fidelity and peak performance, and i think PC players are going to be shocked to find out how many people feel the same as me as cloud gaming becomes more and more popular

but thats a whole other thread lol. im opening up too many cans of worms here :messenger_grinning_squinting: im just using that as an example to further elaborate on the idea that not everyone is looking for that same "best graphics and performance that is reasonably possible" gaming experience. some, like myself, just want the process as simplified as humanly possible, even if that means an inferior experience.

Kev Kev

PCs are great for customizing what you play and how you play it though. being able to emulate any console on a PC is pretty rad. and then when you start talking about VR capabilities, fah'gett about'it

no real good argument against PCs there. yeah you can get the experience through the OG console (if you can find one that works) or buy the "remasters" (but then youre rebuying remaster every generation), and PS has VR but its going to have a wire and not be as flexible as PC VR so...

pros and cons, different strokes, etc...

Hezekiah

Banned
GoldenEye is a really bad example, FPS was huge on PC way before it.

PC does have a history of innovation and creating new genres and sub-genres tailored for it, that is the biggest strength of PC not powerful hardware, or Steam or some other nonsense people get so attached too.

Most PC players are interested in playing MOBAs, tactical shooters, MMOs, games like PUBG or Escape from Tarkov, etc, not playing console games with higher resolution while dunking on consoles and feeling special because games runs slightly better on their PC they spent so much money on.
This times a thousand.

Tbh I'm a bit of a hardware fiend myself (within reason) and I like the idea of owning a fairly powerful GPU, especially given that I've owned a G-Sync monitor for a couple of years now. But what a lot of hardware enthusiasts - the type who include their rig in their forum signature, and who spend hours and hours on Reddit - seemingly don't understand is that they are a really small minority.

As with anything, the vast majority of PC gamers own mid-end hardware at best, and don't obsess over every frame.

Saw someone say they sold their 3090 to buy a 3090ti (despite the financial loss, the significantly increased TDP, and the marginal performance improvement) - that kind of thing is fringe stuff for hardware hobbyists.

Performance/graphics are important, but flexibility, free online, mods, and keyboard + mouse support for FPS etc are always key.

Last edited:

SNG32

can you elaborate? what has changed?
Steam and the ability to use any controller you want. Hell you can get steam to load in big picture mode and start playing games as soon as your pc loads up windows. If people are considered about plug and play.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
can you elaborate? what has changed?
Everything. If you think that PC gaming in 2022 is the same as PC gaming in 2001, or whenever you last touched one is, you're just flat-out wrong. The PC is no longer a tower device used at a desk with a mouse and keyboard. It is whatever you want it to be, if you are interested in the enthusiast side of gaming. If you want a PC that is functionally the same as a console, and is designed to be played from a couch, Playnite/SBP is there for you. If you want a traditional PC at a desk, the hardware combinations in terms of input devices, look of the system, feel, display, and sound are limitless. If you are interested in big budget, mainstream Hollywood gaming, everything that isn't a Sony or Nintendo exclusive is ported to the PC, generally day and date. If you are interested in exploring the underworld, and looking for fascinating, transformative experiences in the indie scene - that is there, and it is light years bigger and more interesting than any indie program on any console. 'Teardown' is a masterpiece of game design and engine tech, as an example. And, obviously, modding and emulation blow open the doors on what games fundamentally can be, by eliminating the restrictions placed by developers, and giving access to decades of gaming history with total freedom and no compromises.

Does the PC get poor ports? Absolutely. So do consoles. Frankly, the porting issue is often wildly overblown by neophyte PC users who believe that the problems they are experiencing are the fault of the developers, and not their own inability to build or maintain a modular system.

Does the PC have hackers in online games? Absolutely. Does it suck? Absolutely. Is it every match? No. 50%? No. Occasionally? Yeah. It's occasionally. You will occasionally see someone hacking, the round will end, and you'll never see them again. Your life won't end. You'll be fine.

This entire thread is a masterclass in wild ignorance, unhinged claims, and preposterous shit flinging which is largely unmoored from reality. PC gaming is obviously more expensive and obviously more complex than console gaming. To claim otherwise is just idiocy. Will you reclaim the costs on the PC via software discounts? Somewhat, sure. Depends on how long you're willing to wait, or how far down the gg.deals rabbit hole you're willing to go. Similarly, to claim that spiralling console software costs, the limitations of locked down systems, the already aging PS5/XSX hardware, and the largely limited software libraries of consoles are easily hand waved is fine - as long as your expectations are low.

To get back to the OP's original point though - is the PC 'the golden standard for gaming'? For some people, sure. It entirely depends on what you want. For Kev Kev Kev Kev , there's obviously a priority on a fixed spec console box which isn't modular, games do not have to be tuned, and the experience is 100% streamlined and controlled by the publisher. Who are any of us to say that he's wrong? I own all of the current consoles, but I massively prefer my PC for the reasons that I've stated. Doesn't make me right, or wrong, or anything. People just like different things for different reasons.

Which is why threads like this are utterly pointless, and I feel stupid even posting this.

Last edited:
see, this is what i dont want. talking about graphics cards and gpu's and rams or whatever. i dont have any interest in tinkering with this mess.

i think part of the hobby for some PC gamers is the tinkering. maybe that is whats separating PC and console players?
Maybe an analogy can help. Did you just buy some guitar starter kit and just stop there? Like if the strings break or whatever it's back to Guitar Center, asking them to fix it or just give you a new one?

Or did you learn how to change strings? Lower the action? Fix intonation? Swap in new pickups? Was that 'tinkering' the point of the hobby or just a necessary evil because you knew you could get more out of guitar? Did you upgrade from your starter guitar to something better once you knew what you were doing even though you could still play music on it?

Same thing with putting together and maintaining your gaming PC. You put in the work and learn things because the result is better. And it's probably not as hard as you think. Once you tailor your gaming experience to be exactly what you want it to be, the idea of going back to console just isn't very appealing even if it could save you money.

Hezekiah

Banned
This is another misconception. You don't have to spend your life's savings to have a more than capable machine. You can spend about $850 right now and get you a nice, reasonable PC.
$850? Not worth it if you want to play AAA gamea, might aswell just get a console unless you need it for work.

Hezekiah

Banned
I've seen a couple of posts of the "in the end PCs will become consoles LOL" variety.

From where I'm sitting, I see the opposite happening. "Performance" and "Fidelity" modes that are increasingly popular in console games have been a thing in PC for literally decades. Except in PC you have infinitely more tuning capability beyond pre-canned modes.

And even then, with those new modes on consoles, I still see people complaining that "well, they can give me a middle of the option road, maybe 1440p60? Or maybe 1080p60 with Ray Tracing? Or maybe they could push Fidelity Mode to 4k60 but LOL lazy devs?"

A big point of paying a premium for PC* is that you are not at the mercy of developers to give you pre-canned performance modes. YOU are in the driver's seat of exactly how to custom tailor your game to your liking based on your hardware's capabilities.

* Is this even a valid argument anymore? I think console mid-gen refreshes are throwing a wrench in the whole "PCs are so much more expensive!" conversation.
I disagree with that, the majority of console gamers won't be buying mid-gen refreshes, just like last time round. The base consoles will continue to outsell them by a significant margin.

Ultimately PC hardware is much more expensive especially if as many people in this thread suggest, you want to play at 120hz+ on high/ultra settings.

I accept the increased cost as for me the best option is own a gaming PC and a PS5, but I still admit GPU prices continue to be a nonsense.

Last edited:

Boss Man

What is SBP

Same thing with putting together and maintaining your gaming PC. You put in the work and learn things because the result is better. And it's probably not as hard as you think. Once you tailor your gaming experience to be exactly what you want it to be, the idea of going back to console just isn't very appealing even if it could save you money.

I think a lot of PC enthusiasts get this wrong. We know it isn’t hard. It’s about as hard to build a PC as it is to research a TV. It’s just less convenient to use for gaming than a console is (especially in your living room).

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

$850? Not worth it if you want to play AAA gamea, might aswell just get a console unless you need it for work.
Why isn't it worth it? Not everyone has to play on Ultra settings at 144hz. If you didn't know, most people are using a GTX 1060 which came out in 2016 and they're still playing AAA games. A 6600XT/6600 will still give you a better experience than on console which usually use medium/medium high settings. Again, a wild misconception.

Boss Man

Why isn't it worth it? Not everyone has to play on Ultra settings at 144hz. If you didn't know, most people are using a GTX 1060 which came out in 2016 and they're still playing AAA games.
An entire PS4 Pro costs about $100 more than a GTX 1060.

Looks like a similar situation between the 6600 and PS5

In both cases, your choice is between an entire functioning gaming console and a GPU that is more powerful than the console’s GPU on paper but not in practice - for around the same price.

IMO, you’d have to really love playing old PC games to make that make sense. You might as well go big and do a high-end VR set up or something. It’s expensive but at least it’s compelling.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Why isn't it worth it? Not everyone has to play on Ultra settings at 144hz. If you didn't know, most people are using a GTX 1060 which came out in 2016 and they're still playing AAA games. A 6600XT/6600 will still give you a better experience than on console which usually use medium/medium high settings. Again, a wild misconception.
I made that exact point earlier. However a lot of people on this thread are talking about playing at much higher frame rates than available on console, and that's not happening for newer games unless you're playing at 1080p. I still own a 1070ti myself - although that's because GPU price are still heavily inflated.

I've yet to see any prebuilds in the UK for that kind of price that would offer better performance than a proper next-gen console, in fact it would assuredly be worse.

An entire PS4 Pro costs about $100 more than a GTX 1060.

Looks like a similar situation between the 6600 and PS5

In both cases, your choice is between an entire functioning gaming console and a GPU that is more powerful than the console’s GPU on paper but not in practice - for around the same price.

IMO, you’d have to really love playing old PC games to make that make sense. You might as well go big and do a high-end VR set up or something. It’s expensive but at least it’s compelling.

(1) But again, as said many times here in this thread, a PC has many gaming amenities beyond what the console can provide. And that's before we count the PC as a utility/productivity machine. So comparing a standalone PC GPU to a console is not apples to apples. But if you insist...
(2) ... Trying to make a comparison between the PS5 and a new generation GPU is also flawed. That's because a last generation GPU (the RTX 2070; not sure about the AMD model) is the equivalent to a PS5. So, someone with that GPU can potentially get by for a decent amount of the generation depending on their settings. And before "b-b-but equal on paper but not in performance" -- FALSE. Like I said way earlier in the thread, for the majority of the 8th console gen (PS4/Xbox One) I used the same GPU I bought in early 2014 -- a GTX 760 -- which during the early and middle parts of the gen not only matched, but exceeded the performance of a base PS4.
(3) I gave my PS4 Pro to my nephew as a gift a couple of years ago, and let me tell you based on what I saw this past weekend I'd much rather play, say, Elden Ring on a GTX 1060 than on a PS4 Pro. When he launched the game, we looked at each other in amusement/amazement wondering whether the console was going to spontaneously combust on the spot. Thing sounded like a jet engine at takeoff. And even with the console laboring like that, the framerate on the game was absolutely atrocious, and it looked kind of ugly. My nephew enjoys the main gameplay loop of Elden Ring enough to get past his initial disappointment with the performance and visuals of the game on that console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom