• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Ports. Close enough is good enough.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
My pc isnt even top of the line and i'm doing fine. I feel these port issues are really overblown, and 90% of the time a "shitty pc port" is also a "shitty console port".
And people setting everything to ultra and wondering why a GTX 1060 cant run the game.

I still remember the Spiderman thread where people were saying this is proof PC gaming is dead, cuz the game on ultra ultra RT taxes the CPU heavily and will fill up VRAM.
Well you could literally just set the game to high and have a swinging time even with a lowly 12400.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Just wait por devs to patch the games. So far, every single one with stutters was patched.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I don't bother rewarding poor PC ports with a console purchase. A multiplatform game that doesn't run well on PC is a multiplatform game I don't play. I'm happy to wait for patches or the inevitable 90% off sale to play.
Exactly this. I will not change some stutters for lower IQ/resolutions, frame rate, FoV, controllers support, aspect ratios, higher input lag, $70 price, paid online, no mods, worse BC, bla bla bla, etc etc...

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t preorder or buy games day one, so by the time I’m getting around to playing something - it’s been fixed.

I also think the issues are a bit overblown, and are quickly fixed.

Leaving bad user reviews is certainly one thing that can be and is done to get something fixed.

I'm one of those people who's simply happy that the game made it to the platform. Patches will eventually come from the developers and the modding community and myself can fixup the rest later. Tweak until the game works well for you, and that doesn't always mean amazing graphics.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I get your frustration, but the truth is that we are a tiny fraction of the market compared to the xbox and ps5 user base, and thus will get treated as such. Thankfully some devs like cdpr still prioritize providing a top of the line pc experience

Sentenza

I get your frustration, but the truth is that we are a tiny fraction of the market compared to the xbox and ps5 user base, and thus will get treated as such.
LUL, no, we aren’t. Is this a post from 2004?

Most multiplatform sell comparably on pc than on the other two consoles, often surpassing XBOX sales and in some cases (i.e. Elden Ring) they are the leading platform for sales.

Umbasaborne

Banned
LUL, no, we aren’t. Is this a post from 2004?

Most multiplatform sell comparably on pc than on the other two consoles, often surpassing XBOX sales and in some cases (i.e. Elden Ring) they are the leading platform for sales.
Sorry didnt mean to trigger you

BlackTron

Yep same. Other PC users cringe when I say I bought X game on PS5 as opposed to PC. They make it seem like PC is infinitely better than console in every way, when holy shit that could not be further from the truth.

PC Master Race my ass.

Multiplatform Master Race is the new hotness.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I'm a patient man. My backlog is so large that the PC port issues that have happened occasionally do not affect me.

I have a PS5, but I bought no games for it, and have no plans to ever do so. Though, I do have PS+ Extra though, so if any PC games with issues show up in PS+ Extra I might play it there...
Give it to me, so I can buy 2 games, day one.

Topher

Gold Member
Do you have data that says the pc market is as big as the console market?

It isn't quite as large as the console market, but it is no where close to being a "tiny fraction" of the console market.

Newzoo_Global-Games-Market-per-Segment_Nov-2022.png

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
OP do you even pc game?

Theres a few turds but you are blowing it up to be the norm.

Black_Stride

A 12400 is lowly now?

I can run the game at 40fps/high settings on a 4670/1060 6GB, using a VRR 240hz monitor.
Thats what NeoGAF will have you think.
That you absolutely need to have a 13900KS to play PC games.
When in truth anything from the 9600K hell probably an 8600K and up is still well beyond viable for console-esc settings.

3vT27sW.gif

HTK

Banned
The way PC players have been treated by devs is pretty shit recently.
For them main they tend to get average ports, and devs are taking the view of Close enough, Good enough.

There is an obvious issue with PC ports, in that it's different for a dev to optimise a game over so many different configurations. We see that they don't even have the time to optimise the three console versions, let alone the dozens of possible PC set ups.
They have to make a game work over three different GPU manufacturers, over multiple different generations of GPUs, with multiple different Compute Units, VRAM, speed profiles, and the same goes for CPUs with Intel and AMD, 4 core, 6 core, 8 core, multiple speed profiles etc.

However at this point they are taking the piss. We have games where a 4090 isn't doing any better than the PS5. Some devs may throw a bone like DLSS on the Nvidia GPUs, but in the main modern GPUs are not even being exploited in any way.

We even have a situation where Epic with the biggest game engine in the industry has an issue with stutter across the majority of PC versions and it hasn't been addressed. Infact, the Coalition has spent more time to try and eliminate it than Epic themselves have

So what's the answer? PC gamers invest a shit ton into their hardware, and they arnt getting the benefit.

What should PC gamers do to push for better outcomes?
What is...GET A CONSOLE?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sensitive about 30fps much?

Most gamers have SOME level of standards. Just because they don’t match up with yours does not make them any less a gamer.
You are acting like if bloodborne is unplayable and talk some shit about standards?!
Wtf. I know my standards. But I grew to ignore this crap. I am playing on console just to forget about all this crap from pc.
I don’t give a crap about bb being 30fps. It plays good.
Would 4k60 be better? Of course it would. I would spend 70$ on it right away.
But I don’t let that stop me from enjoying good games

Reactions: Rea

MikeM

You are acting like if bloodborne is unplayable and talk some shit about standards?!
Wtf. I know my standards. But I grew to ignore this crap. I am playing on console just to forget about all this crap from pc.
I don’t give a crap about bb being 30fps. It plays good.
Would 4k60 be better? Of course it would. I would spend 70$ on it right away.
But I don’t let that stop me from enjoying good games
I have Bloodbourne and quit it after a few hours. I couldn’t handle the garbage framepacing.

SeraphJan

PC is a fantastic platform for the gamer, but not for the developer for many reasons.

Overall less sales compare to consoles, cheaper price compare consoles, more piracy, need to accommodate for various different hardware and they still get shit from random people, If I were developer I would prioritize for console too instead of PC.

However I don't think there is much to complain, PC platform had become better than ever compare to last 2 decades, PC hardware had much more headroom too to accommodate bad optimization, and there is also mods, I'm fine as how it is, not to mention PC version was much cheaper on average, its still a better deal.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have Bloodbourne and quit it after a few hours. I couldn’t handle the garbage framepacing.
better some mild stuttering than +75ms more of input lag like in demons sousl 30fps mode...
bloodborne feels more responsive than 60fps demons honestly and DF measured it.
Stop being a sensitive bitch and play the game. The framepacing is overblown :p

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There was a pretty interesting explanation on this very subject on the most recent "Moore's Law is Dead - Broken Silicon" podcast. I'll post it here with a timestamp. References to NXGamer NXGamer included.

Last edited:

MikeM

better some mild stuttering than +75ms more of input lag like in demons sousl 30fps mode...
You know me and 30fps. We do not get along at all lol

DareDaniel

Banned
I've only had issues with Hogwarts Legacy and FVII Remake, both in specific areas of those games.
I don't mind waiting until they fix bad PC ports.
On a list of 120+ games that I want to play on PC, only a few haven't been cracked yet and it's all recent games (Judgment + Lost Judgment, Modern Warfare II, Dead Space..).

Rea

PC is the best place to play games. Only a handful of games having problems at launch, but they are fixed after sometimes. So, just have to watch out the performance of few games at launch. It's easy.

PC ports are really becoming an issue at the moment. People who have outlayed big money for top line rigs are not getting their moneys worth..

It was interesting to hear what DF said about it on their podcast.
They were putting alot of the blame on Unreal Engine and the fact that it's totally unoptimised for PC. On top of that the introduction of DX12 over DX11 had been causing issues, which aligned with what we are seeing with Xbox ports as well.

Black_Stride

PC is the best place to play games. Only a handful of games having problems at launch, but they are fixed after sometimes. So, just have to watch out the performance of few games at launch. It's easy.
Exactly.
Remember the days PC games came out a little while after console releases.....just imagine we are in that exact same situation.
When that AAA game comes to PC just wait a month before actually playing it.
Chances are itll be in a much better state than at launch and will offer a better experience than console.

It took me weeks to actually get out of the first section of Callisto protocol cuz performance wasnt where I was happy with it.
Ive still got Ryza 3 and Octopath Traveler 2 to get through.
I still havent started Hogwartz and Jedi Survivor is likely gonna be my holiday "release".

My backlog is large enough I dont need to play any of these single player games at launch especially if they are broken ports.

Reactions: Rea

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I can't hear the ridiculous level of NeoGAF concern trolling going on over the last few weeks over the sound of my 4090 and my accompanying erection.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Developing for multiple hardware specs on pc isn’t a hard thing to. That’s why there are recommended specs. The apis are all the same. Just in testing you grab two or three common set ups at the low and high end.

But the fact of the matter is none of the recent port issues have been about hardware. They have all been software issues.

dotnotbot

This, I expected shitty performance based on how much noise there is over Bloodborne's framepacing and it turned out it runs completely fine. Played it on PC monitor though where 30 FPS isn't as much of an issue as it is on a big ass OLED TV.

For example Assassin's Creed games on PS3 (maybe except Rogue) had abysmal framepacing issues and/or traversal stutter and no one blinked an eye back then. BB is buttery smooth compared to that.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I already have a PS4 (Pro) and Bloodborne on my PS Account and I’m still waiting for a PC version of it to actually enjoy the experience, because “sub 30 fps and chromatic aberration in spades” makes for a miserable ride.

E5D1.gif

Top Bottom