• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC ports of PS5 SSD-dependent games

Status
Not open for further replies.

VFXVeteran

Banned
All:

I thought I would bring this thread up for discussion. I'm going to try to be as technical as possible concerning this and hopefully I can kill some myths that has plagued these forums for far too long.

In the thread of the PC port of Spiderman, I asked the question how would games perform that use the SSD on the PS5 for streaming data be like for the PC with a regular HDD or even a base SSD with no DirectStorage? Like I mentioned years ago (and the UE5 demo proved this), the PC won't need DirectStorage to implement some of the games that developers used SSD for PS games.

Some people mentioned that I was in error for calling out Spiderman since it was a PS4 game but that's not the truth. People did indeed mention the PS5's fast SSD streaming in Spiderman.

Here is a video I found way back (when the PS5 wasn't even released yet) of Spiderman using the SSD to stream in data from the city.

As you can see, the PS4 chokes on such a test whereas the PS5 can run this test smoothly without any delay. The PC ports will not have this problem because of their large RAM pool that devs will have access to from both CPU as well as the GPU. Most PC gamers should have no trouble with the PS5 ports that use the SSD for streaming (Spiderman and R&C). As I mentioned before, the PS5's SSD is way ahead of it's time and won't be a requirement to run games for quite some time.

VFXVeteran

Banned
They used that as a tech demo, probably not even used on Spiderman Remastered or Miles Morales. Although the last one loads in 1.5s on PS5, let's see how PC fares with that without Direct Storage.
I think the implementation was written though. Even though they never force the camera to move that fast, I believe the SSD is still streaming in that city. It's just GPU limited with all the other things going on in the scene.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
All:

I thought I would bring this thread up for discussion. I'm going to try to be as technical as possible concerning this and hopefully I can kill some myths that has plagued these forums for far too long.

In the thread of the PC port of Spiderman, I asked the question how would games perform that use the SSD on the PS5 for streaming data be like for the PC with a regular HDD or even a base SSD with no DirectStorage? Like I mentioned years ago (and the UE5 demo proved this), the PC won't need DirectStorage to implement some of the games that developers used SSD for PS games.

Some people mentioned that I was in error for calling out Spiderman since it was a PS4 game but that's not the truth. People did indeed mention the PS5's fast SSD streaming in Spiderman.

Here is a video I found way back (when the PS5 wasn't even released yet) of Spiderman using the SSD to stream in data from the city.

As you can see, the PS4 chokes on such a test whereas the PS5 can run this test smoothly without any delay. The PC ports will not have this problem because of their large RAM pool that devs will have access to from both CPU as well as the GPU. Most PC gamers should have no trouble with the PS5 ports that use the SSD for streaming (Spiderman and R&C). As I mentioned before, the PS5's SSD is way ahead of it's time and won't be a requirement to run games for quite some time.

That fast traversal was never added to Spider-Man because Spider-Man is still a ps4 game. If you played the game I would know that.

Spider-Man is not a ps5 game. Ratchet would’ve been a better example. Bizarre thread.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
That fast traversal was never added to Spider-Man because Spider-Man is still a ps4 game. If you played the game I would know that.

Spider-Man is not a ps5 game. Ratchet would’ve been a better example. Bizarre thread.
Let's come back with Spiderman 2

Hoddi

I did a bit of testing with this when I first received my PS5 drive and posted about it on B3D. You can follow the thread starting from here.

For Spiderman, in particular, I compared the PS4 to the PS5 versions and got these results:

I figured this might be worth testing so I tried comparing the PS4 vs PS5 versions of Miles Morales. I booted into the main menu (which is in realtime like R&C) and then started a new game and let the intro sequence play out. This takes about 2:30 minutes.
PS4: 5GB
PS5: 32GB

I don't think there will be any major problems running Spiderman on PC. Even if it's the enhanced PS5 version.

Last edited:

flying_sq

I don't really think it's going to matter, people haven't seen any issues using even the slowest PC ssd on the market. I haven't looked it up in awhile, but can't they just use resizable bar? AMD is working on Smart Access Storage as well. I'd have to see Sony's drive benchmarks, and if they are mostly Synthetic or what.

All that said, if a game loads from start screen or death in under 5 seconds, I don't care if it's less.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Plenty of games already choke on a PC using a HDD. Any SSD has been pretty much fine though.

Stuart360

Yeah i was going to mention this in another thread but it will be pretty funny if the likes of Spiderman and Returnal dont even require a SSD to run on PC.
And at most i expect a simple 'SSD reccomended but not required' on the PC version.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
that's a god damn lie lol. I have a few ssds and a few 7200 rpm hdds and other than load times the games run just fine. This is all marketing bs for now.
Forza Horizon 5 would not load the textures fast enough for me at least and you would end up stalled in textureless space for a few seconds. Could have been something else though I guess.

Stuart360

Forza Horizon 5 would not load the textures fast enough for me at least and you would end up stalled in textureless space for a few seconds. Could have been something else though I guess.
Forza Horizon 5 (and 4 actually for some PC users) had this weird problem where textures, and sometimes even large parts of the road and world in front of you, would vanish or not load right while driving. I had it too, but i uninstalled the game and reinstalled on a seperate SSD to windows and the game worked perfect. The game desnt seem to like being installed on your C drive for some PC users.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The PC ports will not have this problem because of their large RAM pool that devs will have access to from both CPU as well as the GPU.

Why can't you understand that preloading PC RAM with an entire level's worth of data is not something to brag about under the new paradigm current gen consoles have introduced?

In other words, PC is doing this:

Nzg6vaE.png

PS5/Series X|S are doing this:

VmmEvXR.jpg

Not to mention the consoles' superior management of files with on the fly decompression hardware. Btw, I don't expect you to agree, this is more so for others' benefit to counterbalance any half truths you're likely to toss into this thread.

yurinka

All:

The few games Sony has released or announced to be ported to PC are PS4 or crossgen games.

Sony said they planned to release the PC ports of 2 titles this fiscal year, which we just saw are Uncharted Legacy of Thieves and Miles Morales Ultimate Edition (but selling the Remaster separatedly).

Sony seems to focus on porting big seller stuff that can be used to promote upcoming tv shows, movies or PS only sequels. The ones for the next fiscal year prettly likely will be TLOU + TLOU2 PS5+ the TLOU2 Factions games. And the most requested one is Bloodborne. Again, no PS5 only games, so the PC ports won't need PS5-like hardware, PS4+like would be enough.

In any case, most PS5 only games we saw are games using engines designed for PS4 slightly refurbished for PS5. We still don't have any game using a next gen only engine so obviously less taking full advantage of the engine and hardware. Regarding I/O they'd only need longer loading times with current games. In the future once PS5 only games start take full advantage of its hardware (including I/O) the I/O PS5 advantage may be an issue for PC ports until a huge percent of PC hardware available in the computers of Steam users gets to a similar or better level.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
that game has a few optimization problems and hdd is one of them, but it's not because of the hdd, it's because the optimization for hdds is trash. 100% disk usage on any setting is just lazy optimization.

Amiga

..The PC ports will not have this problem because of their large RAM pool that devs will have access to from both CPU as well as the GPU. Most PC gamers should have no trouble with the PS5 ports that use the SSD for streaming (Spiderman and R&C). As I mentioned before, the PS5's SSD is way ahead of it's time and won't be a requirement to run games for quite some time.

It's not just the SSD, also about the IO. PC conventions are already evolving. Direct Storage and now AMD Smart Access Storage. It's explained a bit here..

- Decompression is going to shift to the GPU. So freeing up the CPU and skipping a few steps at the same time
- Requires devs to reduce patch sizes to fit stream pipelines. this may result in reduced need for large RAM size. data would flow from SSD to CPU/GPU/RAM in a timely manner instead on needing to load a a big chunk into RAM and then wait for another big chunk to load in the old HDD based pipeline.
- Will require devs to re-engineer their engines to take advantage of it, and makes backwards compatibility difficult. This means leaving behind PS4/XB1/older PC rigs behind for good or using a different dev team to port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom