• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pc will be the dominant gaming platform going forward.

SLB1904

Banned
I've barely had any problems with the PC's I've built over the last 16 years. 1 out of the technically 7 PC's I've built died completely. The mistake I kept on making was buying Gigabyte motherboards. Moved onto Asus and ASRock 6 years ago. Haven't had a problem since.
Eh. I'm not even talking about extreme like that. I use my pc all the time and I don't think I would be able to be without one. Sometimes you just get some annoying glitches. That you need a decent knowledge to fix it. Thing that most console users don't have.

Guilty_AI

Well if they aren't that good, maybe the PC crowd could stop begging for ports of them...
I'm not asking for them, Sony decided to make them out of their own accord, hoping i'll buy them.

And you know what, if something like Returnal ever gets a PC port, the chance of me buying it when it goes for like $10 does exists, since i sure as hell wouldn't pay $70 much less get a ps5 for it. So i guess they're pretty good businessmans.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I'm not asking for them, Sony decided to make them out of their own accord, hoping i'll buy them.

And you know what, if something like Returnal ever gets a PC port, the chance of me buying it when it goes for like $10 does exists, since i sure as hell wouldn't pay $70 much less get a ps5 for it. So i guess they're pretty good businessmans.

Wow, I bet they are licking their lips for that ten dollars.

Guilty_AI

Wow, I bet they are licking their lips for that ten dollars.
1489596947_woman-licking-money.gif

Kagey K

Banned
I was seconds away from buying a gaming PC today (i7, 3070 rtx), until I realized how much money I was about to spend and I only wanted to play less than a handful of games on it.

Thankfully common sense prevailed before I dropped that cash.

Last edited:

FStubbs

I was seconds away from buying a gaming PC today (i7, 3070 rtx), until I realized how much money I was about to spend and I only wanted to play less than a handful of games on it.

Thankfully common sense prevailed before I dropped that cash.
How much was it?

Kagey K

Banned
How much was it?
2200 CAD. Can't get anything with a 3060 or higher for under 2000 right now.

Was also looking at an i5 with a 1660 super in it for 1200 but it feels like that card has run its course and I'd rather pay more now and not have to upgrade for most of this gen.

FStubbs

2200 CAD. Can't get anything with a 3060 or higher for under 2000 right now.

Was also looking at an i5 with a 1660 super in it for 1200 but it feels like that card has run its course and I'd rather pay more now and not have to upgrade for most of this gen.
Yeah, dropping that kind of cash for just a handful of games really isn't worth it.

The laptop 1660 still has life because it has more VRAM than the laptop 3050/Ti, but you're talking a different value proposition and level of power in the laptop world.

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah, dropping that kind of cash for just a handful of games really isn't worth it.

The laptop 1660 still has life because it has more VRAM than the laptop 3050/Ti, but you're talking a different value proposition and level of power in the laptop world.
To be fair even the 1660 is probably overkill for the games I want to play. (Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 which I bought at launch, but haven't played since my laptop died) FFXIV, AoE 2 & 3 and probably Starcraft again.

Unfortunately I don't do anything half assed so I figured I should go all out in case anything else interests me later.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think given the current winning pace of PC, the scenario where both Sony and Microsoft will shift their focus and priority to only the PC is just a matter of when, not if. We are seeing it taking shapes now, like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, Street Fighter V, Gears 5, Halo and more being released on PC. It wouldn't be crazy to see people screaming about who has the better sales on Steam before 2026 or so: Sony or Microsoft.

As for the budget gamers, I think Sony and Microsoft will morph their archaic TV gaming console to a streaming dongle or something as a temporary bandaid solution for them until they can afford a PC.

yurinka

I think given the current winning pace of PC, the scenario where both Sony and Microsoft will shift their focus and priority to only the PC is just a matter of when, not if. We are seeing it taking shapes now, like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, Street Fighter V, Gears 5, Halo and more being released on PC. It wouldn't be crazy to see people screaming about who has the better sales on Steam before 2026 or so: Sony or Microsoft.

As for the budget gamers, I think Sony and Microsoft will morph their archaic TV gaming console to a streaming dongle or something as a temporary bandaid solution for them until they can afford a PC.
Not happening. PC doesn't have a winning pace. It's a smaller market and had in the recent years (and is expected to continue having) less growth than consoles and specially mobile. In fact mobile growth will be way higher than consoles and PC that is expected to get a way bigger market share than the one it has now. See some related market data here.

And a huge chunk of PC, its main market, are the Asian only F2P games.

The main market for paid AAA games continues to be consoles, and inside of them PlayStation (over 1600 million games sold for PS4 and counting, with most best selling AAA games or publishers mentioning PS is their biggest platform).

We saw 1st party games being ported to PC and even in MS day one (plus 3rd party turning some former exclusives into multis or even releasing on PC too) for other reasons, the main one being that game budgets and inflation increase a lot every generation but prices keep being the same and sales didn't increase that much, so AAA games needed extra revenue sources: this is why they first added DLCs, then in some cases went GaaS and many of them released their games in other platforms. They do that because they need extra revenue sources.

1st parties don't care about PC versions because they see PC like a neutral zone in the console wars competition that isn't a threat, and in the case of MS, Windows is their home where they have most of their main (the non-gaming stuff) business, so it's good for MS to move thier gaming focus there.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
PC has been the dominant gaming platform around the world for decades. The number of gaming consoles pales compared to the number of PC's used for gaming.

However I have bad news for you OP, the dominant gaming platform going forward is mobile.
When FPSs become a thing on mobile then you can call it dominant. And that’s not happening.

FStubbs

Not happening. PC doesn't have a winning pace. It's a smaller market and had in the recent years (and is expected to continue having) less growth than consoles and specially mobile. In fact mobile growth will be way higher than consoles and PC that is expected to get a way bigger market share than the one it has now. See some related market data here.

The main market for paid AAA games continues to be consoles, and inside of them PlayStation (over 1600 million games sold for PS4 and counting, with most best selling AAA games or publishers mentioning PS is their biggest platform).

We saw 1st party games being ported to PC and even in MS day one (plus 3rd party turning some former exclusives into multis or even releasing on PC too) for other reasons, the main one being that game budgets and inflation increase a lot every generation but prices keep being the same and sales didn't increase that much, so AAA games needed extra revenue sources: this is why they first added DLCs, then in some cases went GaaS and many of them released their games in other platforms. They do that because they need extra revenue sources.

1st parties don't care about PC versions because they see PC like a neutral zone in the console wars competition that isn't a threat, and in the case of MS, Windows is their home where they have most of their main (the non-gaming stuff) business, so it's good for MS to move thier gaming focus there.
I think a large part of it also is that PC, PS, and Xbox all are x86 at this point which makes the ports much easier than ever before.

(Switch benefits as well since its architecture is basically mobile architecture).

Companies don't have to do tons of R&D learning some box's alien architecture like they did back in the Cell or Emotion Engine days.

Bryank75

Banned
I think a large part of it also is that PC, PS, and Xbox all are x86 at this point which makes the ports much easier than ever before.

(Switch benefits as well since its architecture is basically mobile architecture).

Companies don't have to do tons of R&D learning some box's alien architecture like they did back in the Cell or Emotion Engine days.

On the PS side... I think they feel they are so far ahead and gotten quite arrogant.... you see it with them not offering upgrades with base versions, 10 euro / dollar tax on next gen and ports to PC are all just to eek out more money in multiple directions. Nothing really to do with architecture.

Nintendo despite it being easy to port to PC, will not do it...as they understand the model they are using quite deeply in terms of philosophy and where it works psychologically on customers. They have a very longterm strategy that builds very very loyal fans and exclusives are a key pillar to that.

yurinka

I think a large part of it also is that PC, PS, and Xbox all are x86 at this point which makes the ports much easier than ever before.(Switch benefits as well since its architecture is basically mobile architecture).
Yes, back in the PS3 gen the first ones who needed to release their games in more platfoms and stop making full exclusive some of their main IPs were the 3rd parties. But they found it was a pain in the ass because PS3 had alien hardware, even to make exclusive games for it was a pain in the ass. And for Sony, in addition to that it was too expensive due to the R&D cost you mention of doing super (in certain areas) powerful bizarre stuff.

So for the next PS4 generation, Sony decided to change and instead to use something way cheaper in terms of R&D (already existing stuff, the PC and Xbox architecture) and also way easier to develop for (we the game programmers the first stuff we learnt was to program for x86, and since we program on PCs it's the most used one and easier to code for and to test). That made the consoles way more profitable for Sony and made happy the devs because now it would be easier for them to port stuff and make games multiplatform. Releasing their games on more platforms = more revenue for them and more customers happy.

So first 3rd parties started to make some of their exclusive IPs multiplatform, and later started to bring some console only IPs to PC too because even it was a smaller market, at least was a nice extra and the ports were easy. MS followed them releasing everything on PC day one, but also because Windows is their main market when they have almost all their business (which is outside gaming).

Then after years of growing and growing more than the other, mobile, Asia and F2P have like half of the gaming market revenue or more, so Sony wants to approach these markets. But some of these Asian key markets aren't console friendly, they mostly play F2P stuff on mobile and after that PC. They are already successful in mobile and will grow, and in PC they will first start with old PC ports but later will do more Asian friendly games: F2P, made in Asia and for both console and PC.

ArtHands

That's definitely happening, considering the trend we are witnessing here. Sony's acquiring of Nixxes Studio is just them paving for the future to facilitate porting of their 1st party games, because they know they need to brace for the inevitable. They have already lost all control of Japan, and the constantly increasing budget for their own AAA games means they will have to cope by increasing their price (which they are doing) as well as seeking for sales on PC. They have tried the sweet taste of the sales on PC, there's no going back. Look at Microsoft. Even Epic has seem how big PC gaming has grown and now they are trying to make a living on PC. Various console developers are increasingly porting their console games to PC now, which is pretty unprecedented. Heck, we already see the sign when Sony axed PS Now from TV and their very own Vita but not PC.

As PC market continues to grow while Playstation and Xbox hits a reset last year and needing years to re-grow their install base, it only make sense that developers will stick to PC in the coming years and wait. Whether they will return to console is another matter.

Kagey K

Banned
Only way I see a resurgence is for them to offer games in New genres not available on consoles.

It's why I was big into PC gaming as a kid. Doom/Quake/Hexen/Heretic vs Mario and other side scrollers.

Pc back then was more than a difference of graphics settings, it was entire genres consoles couldn't do.

I don't see that happening again anytime soon.

Even going through best PC lists 2021, it's mostly console games.

It's honestly what stopped me pulling the trigger on a PC less than 12 hours ago.

Leo9

Funny how each and every generation there are people saying consoles are doomed and they only sell faster and stronger despite all of the bullshit talk.

Mobile tried to kill the consoles.... he failed

cloud gaming tried to kill the consoles.... he was struck down again and again

PC tried to kill the consoles... they failed and were thrown to the ground.

No-one can destroy the consoles
The consoles will strike you down with a vicious blow
We are the vanquished foes of the consoles
We tried to win for why we do not know
they only sell faster and stronger?
Sony best selling console is still the PS2.
The consoles will strike you down with that cinematic 30fps gameplay.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Only way I see a resurgence is for them to offer games in New genres not available on consoles.

It's why I was big into PC gaming as a kid. Doom/Quake/Hexen/Heretic vs Mario and other side scrollers.

Pc back then was more than a difference of graphics settings, it was entire genres consoles couldn't do.

I don't see that happening again anytime soon.

Even going through best PC lists 2021, it's mostly console games.

It's honestly what stopped me pulling the trigger on a PC less than 12 hours ago.
We have a bunch of young blokes at work now, 19-22yo, all of them are gamers, all play on PC, and all mostly play first person shooters.

I think that’s the genre that will grow PC gaming, new people come in age every year, and it’s a big genre on consoles and with cross play growing people will slowly go over to PC because the games and controls are simply better there.

For us oldies it’s most likely better performance and graphics on games we already play on console that will get us to invest in a PC, it’s about getting the definitive edition. Mods are cool too but not the main selling point.

rofif

Banned
We have a bunch of young blokes at work now, 19-22yo, all of them are gamers, all play on PC, and all mostly play first person shooters.

I think that’s the genre that will grow PC gaming, new people come in age every year, and it’s a big genre on consoles and with cross play growing people will slowly go over to PC because the games and controls are simply better there.

For us oldies it’s most likely better performance and graphics on games we already play on console that will get us to invest in a PC, it’s about getting the definitive edition. Mods are cool too but not the main selling point.
All people who play on pc at my work are ultra casuals who badly play bf v and only other game they know it's Witcher 3 "they played it for 100 hours!".
While the proper gamer friends who finish Bloodborne and sekiro are on console.

Tbh I know only 1 non casual pc player. He recently sold his old flat and spent 3000usd for 3080pc. Plays tarkov, ff14, vr Sims and souls. But I did helped him out few times with PS4 slim so he could finish bb, death stranding or tlou2.

I also have 3080 pc but got all at MSRP so way cheaper :p around 2k.
Since 360 in 2006, I always gravitate more towards console gaming but I always have top pc because I like to waste money.

The only definitive thing about pc ports are bugs and having to pcgamingwiki every fucking game. Even the smallest things. This week example? Saints row 3 remaster. Cutscenes running are 22fps, gameplay 67 cap. Fixed with rtss. Game don't autosave, don't remember my settings, brightness is fucked... As always, I should have played this on ps5

ParaSeoul

This is what a lot of publishers thought around 2012-2013 which is why we had a lot of always online and episodic games. And now look at the industry consoles are still the dominant force.

Fredrik

All people who play on pc at my work are ultra casuals who badly play bf v and only other game they know it's Witcher 3 "they played it for 100 hours!".
While the proper gamer friends who finish Bloodborne and sekiro are on console.

Tbh I know only 1 non casual pc player. He recently sold his old flat and spent 3000usd for 3080pc. Plays tarkov, ff14, vr Sims and souls. But I did helped him out few times with PS4 slim so he could finish bb, death stranding or tlou2.

I also have 3080 pc but got all at MSRP so way cheaper :p around 2k.
Since 360 in 2006, I always gravitate more towards console gaming but I always have top pc because I like to waste money.

The only definitive thing about pc ports are bugs and having to pcgamingwiki every fucking game. Even the smallest things. This week example? Saints row 3 remaster. Cutscenes running are 22fps, gameplay 67 cap. Fixed with rtss. Game don't autosave, don't remember my settings, brightness is fucked... As always, I should have played this on ps5
Lol well yeah drinking and playing seems to be a thing among the youngsters, lets just leave it at that. But at least two of them has been serious with CS so it wouldn’t be fair to call them all casuals, they would probably win over me blind-folded in a first person shooter.

I can relate to wasting money but my way of dealing with it is to leave the money for a future upgrade sit on Nvidia/MS/Apple stocks between the upgrades, that way I’m using their greed to be ready for whatever they throw at me. 😜

Some games are certainly better played on consoles, no doubt. The Ascent was pretty much broken on PC at launch, at least through Gamepass. I installed it, played half an hour, uninstalled it. 100-percented it on XSX instead, one of my favorite games of the year.

The thing with PC gaming is that you can tweak stuff and depending on how interested you are that can be time-consuming. It’s rarely needed though from my experience, it’s mostly a situation where you’re doing it because you can do it. On console you can complain on Twitter. On PC you can dig through wikis and forums and fix it yourself. The upside comes when you get smooth framerates, awesome graphics, great controls and fantastic mods. It’s nice. I would never completely swap out consoles for a PC though.

BabyYoda

Banned
Only if you ignore mobile. Mobile is the #1 gaming platform and it will only expand its lead.
I don't consider that a proper gaming platform in the same way as I don't consider Pachinko a proper gaming platform!

PC is even growing in Japan, a place where it used to be stagnant. I agree with the OP, the kids tend to gravitate to freedom and the PC is by far the freest platform. The hassle in getting things done is only a part of its charm, kids like a good challenge.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Yah, when PC growing in Japan while Playstation is joining Xbox in dead territory there is a clear sign.

Most of my Japanese friends has moved on from Playstation to Nintendo Switch and PC in recent times, due to growing popularity of these 2 platforms. Perspective has certainly changed, as we are seeing drastic new indie titles from Japan in recent years. They are coping well, because 3rd party Japanese games are mostly on Switch and PC now instead of Playstation. 1 of my friends there is also expressing regret for purchasing a PS5 and he sold it last week to buy a 3070TI.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Maybe, if you could actually buy a video card. It's getting a bit ridiculous.......

Kev Kev

Lol havent people been saying this for like 20 years? And yet consoles are alive and well and thriving. If anything it will become the niche of gaming, if it already isn’t…

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Lol havent people been saying this for like 20 years? And yet consoles are alive and well and thriving. If anything it will become the niche of gaming, if it already isn’t…
There are something like 120 million active steam users. Hardly niche. There are more pc's out there than any other 5 consoles combined.

CheshirexChrono

Neo Member
I feel like I've seen this brought up at the beginning of each new generation. As much as PC has a place in the market I don't believe it'll ever dominate, which is sad because I do love pc gaming.
People just enjoy consoles for their multi-purpose entertainment value and the ease of use at a relatively cheap price point.

Woodchipper

There are so many indications pc gaming will be the dominant gaming platform in the coming years. At the expense of consoles.
Yet, the PS5 becomes Sony’s fastest selling console ever, in spite of shortages. Sorry, I can’t see the indications.

Last edited:

Rykan

Been hearing this since 2005. It's just not going to happen. The only markets where the PC is a dominant platform are precisely the markets that are not worth targeting due to rampant piracy if you're a developer not making online games.
There are more pc's out there than any other 5 consoles combined.

And the overwhelming majority are not used for gaming, this is such a non - argument.

Last edited:

bit_blaster

Neo Member
At this point all I game on anymore is PC and Switch.

My PS4 has been collecting dust since I built my PC, and a PS5 is just not appealing since its almost the cost of a decent starter PC and none of Sony's woke movie games interest me.

OP made a good point which a lot aren't ready to hear, but I think once GPU prices come back down as well as consoles, then we will see PC dominate more, its already the majority of gamers worldwide if were not counting mobile. PC also does a great job appealing to old and new generations alike.

yurinka

That's definitely happening, considering the trend we are witnessing here. Sony's acquiring of Nixxes Studio is just them paving for the future to facilitate porting of their 1st party games, because they know they need to brace for the inevitable.
Their main business is PlayStation, they will continue having PC as a secondary platform for at least several years where they will throw there only a handful ports of several games old games per years. They may do some exception with a F2P MP game specially if focused to Asia, or maybe if this old port also gets a PS5 remaster/remake.

They have already lost all control of Japan, and the constantly increasing budget for their own AAA games means they will have to cope by increasing their price (which they are doing) as well as seeking for sales on PC.
They haven't lost of Japan. All known Japanese 3rd party publishers and devs had at least one PS4 exclusive. Regarding hardware sales, they are supply constrained and focus their sales on the the biggest console markets of the world, and Japan is no longer one of them, so they send little SKUs there.PS5 is the fastest selling console ever worldwide and don't sell way more due to chips shortage, so they focus their units in their best selling markets: EU and NA.

In addition to this, their consoles are the low side of their console sales curve life cycle (the start or the end of the cygle) while Switch has been on the top of its curve (middle of the life cycle), so Switch has been temporally on top for a few years. In the next couple of years we'll see how Switch sales decrease every year around the world, while the PS5 ones rise as normal part of their life cycle sales curve.

Regarding software, for Sony now over 70% (depending on the quarter almost 80%) of the game game sales are digital. So the top 30 physical game sales ranking it's starting to become not relevant, specially for a contry that has been migrating from consoles to portables and specially mobile and no longer represents a top market for the console market.

They have tried the sweet taste of the sales on PC, there's no going back. Look at Microsoft. Even Epic has seem how big PC gaming has grown and now they are trying to make a living on PC. Various console developers are increasingly porting their console games to PC now, which is pretty unprecedented. Heck, we already see the sign when Sony axed PS Now from TV and their very own Vita but not PC.

As PC market continues to grow while Playstation and Xbox hits a reset last year and needing years to re-grow their install base, it only make sense that developers will stick to PC in the coming years and wait. Whether they will return to console is another matter.
Sony and the console game publishers will continue focusing on console and will continue having PC as secondary platform beacuse it's a smaller market for AAA game sales. PC is different because gaming isn't one of the biggest markets and their main business is on Windows or subs, so they want to migrate their gaming part to Windows and subs. Regarding PS Now, they have been reworking it and soon they will announce it for mobile and tv.

As I shown you before with factual data, PC is growing less than console, has grown less in the last decade and is expected to continue growing less than console and specially mobile.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
There are something like 120 million active steam users. Hardly niche. There are more pc's out there than any other 5 consoles combined.
120mil steam accounts... how many are bots? how many are owned by 1 person? how many are accounts with 1 or 2 free games?
I still think the number is huge but it's probably inflated

rofif

Banned

My PS4 has been collecting dust since I built my PC, and a PS5 is just not appealing since its almost the cost of a decent starter PC and none of Sony's woke movie games interest me.

OP made a good point which a lot aren't ready to hear, but I think once GPU prices come back down as well as consoles, then we will see PC dominate more, its already the majority of gamers worldwide if were not counting mobile. PC also does a great job appealing to old and new generations alike.
ps5 cost of decent starter pc?
it's 400 usd (500 disc version). Includes controller and even hdmi 2.1 cable (which is like 20 bucks).
400usd will land you used 1060 lol

Rykan

The so called "Majority" of those gamers are playing online games that western audiences don't even know exist (Save for a few global games like League of Legends) or are playing pirated games.

bit_blaster

Neo Member
ps5 cost of decent starter pc?
it's 400 usd (500 disc version). Includes controller and even hdmi 2.1 cable (which is like 20 bucks).
400usd will land you used 1060 lol
Presumably you're going to buy a few games over the course of a year, and each new game is $60 USD on top of maybe some $20 digital indie games. Add all that up and you're already on your way to a decent gaming PC, I spent only 1200 CAD on mine which is around 950 USD and I have a much wider variety of games old and new that I can run at very high performance with mods for the next 6 or more years, and when I plateau I won't have to spend as much as the first time just to replace a GPU or for increasing the RAM.

bit_blaster

Neo Member
I'd also add that PC is the best platform for legacy gaming as Sony and Nintendo have more or less turned their backs on it.

I could play every retro Nintendo and Playstation game for free on PC as opposed to console where I'm at the mercy of the occasional "remaster" or "legacy collection".

Top Bottom