• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pc will be the dominant gaming platform going forward.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm a Lucky dude that got both a 3090 in his PC and a ps5 digital.

I did the PC tv thing for a couple years. This year I switched back to console on tv and PC at a proper gaming desk.

I can tell you with confidence, PC gaming on the couch is a dumpster fire experience compared to console on the couch.

PC should stay at the computer desk where it belongs.

If the Steam Deck pans out, truly PC gaming could go handheld as well. It seems to have all the tools to do so.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated

I did the PC tv thing for a couple years. This year I switched back to console on tv and PC at a proper gaming desk.

I can tell you with confidence, PC gaming on the couch is a dumpster fire experience compared to console on the couch.

Can you expand on that?

What were the dumpster fire elements that annoyed you?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not a single PC and console gamer I know games on mobile.
They are probably out there and they just dont want to tell. It's like how mtx is humongous and the biggest drivers of sales and profits, yet most people wont tell you they buy virtual coins, EA Ultimate Team packs, etc... They'll tell you they just bought a $20 DLC expansion, but wont tell you they also spent $20 on character skins.

One of my old coworkers and a bunch of us would occasionally talk about PS or Xbox. Nobody ever brought up mobile gaming.

They one day, I saw him in his office looking at his phone kind of pissy. Who knows. Maybe his kid got bad news at school or his stocks were getting crushed that day.

Shortly after I saw what was on his phone. He was playing Clash of Clans.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Using a controller? Most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

Rykan

misread the first comment, my bad.

As for the second, Mario Run was freemium, but then Nintendo charged full price which lead to the sales diving. Nintendo's mobile games overall are vastly under performing the competition, there are already reports of them leaving the market altogether. This is because their primary audience is on console.
Mario Run was always a 10$ purchase. It just had a few free demo levels.

As for Nintendo's mobile games vastly under performing the competition, where the heck do you get your information from?

Fire Emblem heroes is more profitable than the entire Fire Emblem franchise combined.

Dream-Knife

Banned

You never used the desktop configuration for your controller in steam?

bit_blaster

Neo Member
Mario Run was always a 10$ purchase. It just had a few free demo levels.

As for Nintendo's mobile games vastly under performing the competition, where the heck do you get your information from?

Fire Emblem heroes is more profitable than the entire Fire Emblem franchise combined.
from here: https://i2.wp.com/miketendo64.com/w...intendo-mobile-games.original.png?w=669&ssl=1

Nintendo also shut down Miitomo and Dr. Mario World, so thats not a good sign of success for their mobile games.

Rykan

from here: https://i2.wp.com/miketendo64.com/w...intendo-mobile-games.original.png?w=669&ssl=1

Nintendo also shut down Miitomo and Dr. Mario World, so thats not a good sign of success for their mobile games.
They have made over 1bn in profits in just 4 years since they've started doing mobile games. The fact that they've shut down 2 underperforming games (which is completely normal in the mobile space) does not mean that their mobile efforts overall are underperforming.

Much as I love gaming on my PC over consoles, mostly because I can mod/tweak them to improve graphical issues, e.g. increase the draw distance and fix the atrocious pop in in games like Scarlet Nexus (and soon Tales of Arise) which uses Unreal Engine 4), I think it is the consoles that will remain the dominant gaming platform for one reason: they are cheaper. I wanted to upgrade my 2013 built PC with a GTX 1080 Ti last year but scalpers and high pricing of GPUs put paid to that. I wanted to upgrade it this year but availability and pricing is still a real issue so it looks like I'll be waiting until 2022. Thankfully, my PC is still very capable despite its age and ageing i7-4770K CPU and plays every game I enjoy at 60+ fps and 1440p maxed out settings albeit without ray-tracing.

I do own a PS5, which I was lucky enough to pre-order from Amazon as Sony finished their announcement and have thoroughly enjoyed games such as Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Astrobots on it but I never bothered with the Xbox Series X as all its games are available on PC (and arguably better with decent hardware) so there did not seem any point in buying one. Also, it has no real exclusives unlike the PS5, which might not have that many but at least it has some! I do own an Xbox One X but that has remained unused really about a year after I bought it. It's a great piece of hardware (or rather was) but the games just looked and ran better on my PC. I'm also someone who enjoys having a physical games collection on consoles so Game Pass just never appealed to me (and I had owned most the games that interested me anyway on my PC).

Now though I'm thinking I would like an Xbox Series X for third-party exclusives. It's a bargain at £449... if you can find one in stock... and with my PC upgrade on hiatus then it looks to be a good buy. The PS5 annoyingly still does not support VRR (and in opinion likely never will but we'll see...), which my LG B9 TV supports as does the four year old Xbox One X, so that means having to put up with screen tearing in games like Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, a game that runs okay on my PC but looks and runs better on my PS5. For less than the cost of a mid-range GPU (at non-scalper prices anyway) the PS5 and Xbox Series X are great value for money so it is hard to see how the PC can really compete with that. You cannot build a gaming PC with the same spec as the Xbox Series X for £449, that is a fact.

PCs do more than games though which is why I enjoy using them (it enabled me to work from home for nine months during the COVID pandemic for example and listen to music while I worked!) but I cannot see how PC gaming, in this current climate of hard-to-find GPUs and ridiculous pricing, can ever hope to dominate these consoles at these prices. Console game prices are high at £70 for a first-party PS5 game but in my experience PC games aren't much cheaper either with key sellers barely discounting the typical £49.99/£54.99 Steam/Epic etc prices. A few years ago I bought the majority of my PC games from reputable key sellers like CDKeys.com and GreenManGaming and rarely paid more than £29.99. Now though, I'm lucky if I can find them for less than £39.99 and that's without factoring in the more expensive Deluxe/Ultimate editions! Also, digital games have no resell value which makes like poorer value for money. I guess that is why Game Pass might be so appealing for many people who don't care about owning games.

Top Bottom