• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pc will be the dominant gaming platform going forward.

John Wick

So why isn't that born out in games sales data?. I think it was back in the 90's when the PC was far more dominant and where many PC developers didn't have to bother with the consoles or never ported their games to the consoles themself's.
Long gone are the days when the likes of Infinity Ward, id, Epic didn't worry about consoles versions and if they did they were handled by outside developers.
Remember when Crytek only made games for highend PC's? Those days are long gone. Until you can buy a PC that can plug straight into the tv and just use a controller the PC will be an enthusiast choice

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There are so many indications pc gaming will be the dominant gaming platform in the coming years. At the expense of consoles.

* pc is easier than ever to get into, whether you are building your own or buying a laptop.

* Huge social media presence and zeitgeist. Pc gaming has an huge presence in social media. And its growing every year. In games media it is already dominant.

* An whole generation of kids being fostered into pc gaming with minecraft, roblox, fortnite etc. They will continue to game on pc as they grow older.

* Extremely strong growth in developing countries.

* Crossgen development on console, delayed next gen adoption on an software level. It is going to make lesser pc even more valid. And in two, three years its going to be very cheap to buy an pc that vastly exceeds current consoles.

* Most if not all games, including previous exclusives available on pc. Games sell systems, pc has all of them.

Everything points to pc being the dominant platform going forward. The only hurdle is the bitcoin miners driving up gpu prices. But i dont think that will matter much in a year or two. When low end pc hardware will exceed consoles anyway.
PC has no chance of becoming the dominant platform if the prices of GPU continue to skyrocket

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Which $400-500 Laptop is that?
Don't listen to the lunatics. This was always the argument. Even when I got ps4 slim for 200... they argued that pc I found in the trash and invested 200usd into, would play games better.
Ps5 for 400-500 or seriesx are amazing values. My 2k usd pc looks at ps5 and cries, the games load so long :p

Remember when Crytek only made games for highend PC's? Those days are long gone. Until you can buy a PC that can plug straight into the tv and just use a controller the PC will be an enthusiast choice
I remember the days when many developers didn't make console games and the likes of id wouldn't look to port games to the console and hand them out

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I remember the days when many developers didn't make console games and the likes of id wouldn't look to port games to the console and hand them out
Because they hated money?
Developing for pc and porting to console is possible you know. One does not exclude the other at all... Especially now that consoles are the same or better than most pcs

martino

different era , different state of engine and tools. Until ps3/360 this was nearly like developing multiple game because of engine, different architecture and overall availlable power
Now outside nintendo it's mostly develop one more set of settings.

different era , different state of engine and tools. Until ps3/360 this was nearly like developing multiple game because of engine, different architecture and overall availlable power
Now outside nintendo it's mostly develop one more set of settings.
It had little to do with the tools and more to do with many PC developers who didn't need the consoles to pay for the game development. PC games were a big deal with shops just dedicated to PC sales and everyone and their mum making a 3D card. Those days are long gone...

martino

It had little to do with the tools and more to do with many PC developers who didn't need the consoles to pay for the game development. PC games were a big deal with shops just dedicated to PC sales and everyone and their mum making a 3D card. Those days are long gone...
this doesn't invalidate what i said.
standardization is a huge reason it's happening for some time now (and why it was out of question then)

Last edited:

molly14

R11 with a 2070 super
Warnen said:
Not a fan of high end gaming PC stuff but if you stick to mid end stuff it’s affordable and still better then Ps5/XSX performance. My prebuilt Alienware cost about the same price as getting an XSX and a PS5. It also runs cirlces around them in game performance Easily getting above 120fps in games that struggle at 30/60fps on console.

You said you paid the same price for your Alienware as the ps5/XSX the R11 is about 2k ,:messenger_tears_of_joy:,so you can buy four of the next gen consoles for one R11,did you flunk maths at school??

martino

The truth is, neither console nor PC gaming is going away any time soon. Big shocker I know.
even if you have all games on all platform you will always have different audience with different expectation from the platform and hardware.
they are big enough for now.

this doesn't invalidate what i said.
standardization is a huge reason it's happening for some time now (and why it was out of question then)
I put to you, game budgets are more the reason. I mean you couldn't get much more than a PC in a Box than the Xbox or to a point the DC. but even in those days, the elite PC developers didn't care much for the consoles and even if the games were ported, it was usually handed out. But now with game development budgets so huge and console game sales so massive. The PC gang had to embrace the consoles and lead development on them too.

martino

i agree on that game budget is the reason the standardization became a focus in the first place even with different console architecture.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Warnen said:
Not a fan of high end gaming PC stuff but if you stick to mid end stuff it’s affordable and still better then Ps5/XSX performance. My prebuilt Alienware cost about the same price as getting an XSX and a PS5. It also runs cirlces around them in game performance Easily getting above 120fps in games that struggle at 30/60fps on console.

You said you paid the same price for your Alienware as the ps5/XSX the R11 is about 2k ,:messenger_tears_of_joy:,so you can buy four of the next gen consoles for one R11,did you flunk maths at school??
I got the r11 for $1200, it was before the boom on prebuilt for harvesting. But nice gotcha….

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Warnen said:

Jesus christ Dell is THE WORST why would you do that

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Jesus christ Dell is THE WORST why would you do that

because the 3d card sells fpr nearly the cost of the entire PC? Don’t worry don’t have it any more went back to Xbox. I borked the Mother board and they wouldn’t cover it for a fix. Made some $$ parting it out though.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
because the 3d card sells fpr nearly the cost of the entire PC? Don’t worry don’t have it any more went back to Xbox. I borked the Mother board and they wouldn’t cover it for a fix. Made some $$ parting it out though.
At least some use

Klik

I'm 35 and the older I get the more I appreciate plug and play. Picked up a Series X cause PS5 availability is terrible. Picked up a 55' LG C1 OLED with it and have not regretted that decision. Game Pass is fantastic for how I consume games. Anyway will I upgrade my PC in the future? Probably. When I can build a PC for, at most, $1k, and have it absolutely leave these consoles in the dust, that's when I upgrade. It may take a while but that's okay.
I'm also almost 35 and to be honest i'm kinda done with PC gaming. Of course it really depends what kind of games you play but most of the AAA games nowadays are made for console in mind. As for me, perfect solution is PS5 and then in 2024 Ps5 Pro.

The more i'm older more i realize that great GPU is like having a Ferrari limited to 100km/h,you'll never going to experience true power with it. What's the point of having GTX 2080?Even though its 5x faster than PS4/X1 Gpu you get a bit better res and frame rate and that's it. I'm jelaous seeing how games look like on 2013 console hardware. We're in 2021 and there's basically no Pc game other than Star Citizen looks better than God of War, HZD, Last of Us 2,Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman etc.

Im tired of PC gaming, no game is made for PC in mind and thats it. I remember how The Division 1 looked on GTX 680 back in 2013 and they downgraded it even on PC just because console couldn't run it.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm also almost 35 and to be honest i'm kinda done with PC gaming. Of course it really depends what kind of games you play but most of the AAA games nowadays are made for console in mind. As for me, perfect solution is PS5 and then in 2024 Ps5 Pro.

The more i'm older more i realize that great GPU is like having a Ferrari limited to 100km/h,you'll never going to experience true power with it. What's the point of having GTX 2080?Even though its 5x faster than PS4/X1 Gpu you get a bit better res and frame rate and that's it. I'm jelaous seeing how games look like on 2013 console hardware. We're in 2021 and there's basically no Pc game other than Star Citizen looks better than God of War, HZD, Last of Us 2,Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman etc.

Im tired of PC gaming, no game is made for PC in mind and thats it. I remember how The Division 1 looked on GTX 680 back in 2013 and they downgraded it even on PC just because console couldn't run it.
Absolutely.
Of course 2080 or 3080 or any new GPUs will have much more power... but that generally amounts to better resolution and framerate which is lessened by new consoles.
But as You say - I've played Death Stranding in 2019 on PS4 SLIM. 200usd console... and it was producing incredible, some of best graphics I've ever seen... Took plenty of screenshots and still use them as wallpapers (below).
PS4 pro could do 1440p so it could've been even better. Keep in mind ps4 slim was 200usd NEW in 2017. Whisper quiet and small.

jnNwPMo.png

upjqlQv.png

Of course I am abe to make this game run 4k, dlss, even 120hz and of course it looks better. But it's resolution and framerate... none of which I remember badly from ps4 slim playthrough. In fact, I remember just game an how beautiful it was.
Below please see my pc screenhot. IT looks like a postcard. Fantastic... but I've not finished this version. I've stopped playing as soon as I've learned DC comes out on ps5. I am more excited for 3d audio and dualsense upgrades.

7rzSFbE.jpg

What I am trying to say I think - Yes -the upgrade is there and yes - 3080 will be 100% used if I want it in almost any game but even as a graphics whore, I don't feel that is a 3080 improvement (being only fps and resolution)

Meesh

The old me would lean towards... no. However with the Deck playing on Nintendos hybrid philosophy I'm gonna say anything is possible at this point.

Look people need to stop looking at PCs as big computer rigs. That's not the future anymore then consoles are. PCs will always be a thing for the enthusiast but consoles will eventually reach their apex and prob already have. We are moving towards integrated systems...your phone is a PC. Machines that are open platform and do everything are what we are headed into and mobile devices are most telling. Consoles will die but won't be replaced by PCs, it will be replaced by an o really integrated system, cloud, mobile and main home system

I may not even do a big PC upgrade in the future If Sony and Microsoft create pro versions of their consoles. If so, I could ditch my entire computer setup and go for a high quality laptop. I prefer couch gaming now more than ever and Game Pass just makes sense for me at this stage in my life.

Bkdk

programming and IT will soon be a must have course for middle school students, one of the most basic course will be building a pc. ALso since programming is a must learn, open platform will definitely be the future as software will have more robust customizable options and a lot of people will know how to use them at a higher level. In the future games with no modability will be dead on arrival.

njean777

I work with kids, and yeah, no. Most of them have a Switch, PS, iPad, or Xbox. In that order also. Not once have I heard them say PC.

rnlval

Maybe consoles are just locked down gaming PCs? I mean gone are the days of bespoke hardware.

Probably the reason why I decided to get a gaming PC when I had some money for it
AMD 4700S APU is a recycled PS5 APU with disabled iGPU for the PC market.

AMD 4700S APU's motherboard includes 256 bit GDDR6-14000 like on PS5, but AMD removed Sony's DRM enforcement, restored UEFI BIOS and Windows HAL compliant ACPI.

Warnen said:

:messenger_tears_of_joy: who the fk buys a prebuild alienware

P.Jack

Regarding kids gaming habits, I don’t think anything have changed really? Young kids play console, teens/young adults play more PC and adults with family prefers console. This was true in the 90s and I still think it’s an apt description of gaming demographics.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Games sell systems, PC has all of them, but people overwhelmingly prefer consoles in EU/NA due to lower upfront hardware cost, high switching cost, direct network effects and ease of use.

gamesindustry.biz

AWpnr4Z.jpeg

0MG6kaA.jpeg

xYoHlZw.jpeg
Interesting since 2020 was a huge year for PC gaming with everyone working from home and getting into PC's

darrylgorn

I've been gaming with alienware set top boxes and MSI laptops hooked up to my TV for almost a decade now and never looked back.

You pay more at the onset and you need some rudimentary experience with computers but beyond that, it's the best way to go for gaming by far.

Last edited:

Zug

Wut ? The gaming PC market has never been in such a dire situation, it has become a hobby for rich kids (the stupid neon RGB and lame gamer accessories trends reflects that).
PC exclusives games have been almost extinct for years except some niche genres that are slowly dying out (RTS, MMO...).

I've been a PC enthusiast for the past 30 years, and I mostly play niche stuff like Everquest p99, CRPGs and I mod a lot, so I'll likely never switch to consoles.
But let's face it, PCs now have few to offer to most people compared to consoles when it comes to gaming, since consoles are now much cheaper PCs with a more friendly UI, and optimised software.

Bryank75

Banned
Games sell systems, PC has all of them, but people overwhelmingly prefer consoles in EU/NA due to lower upfront hardware cost, high switching cost, direct network effects and ease of use.

gamesindustry.biz

AWpnr4Z.jpeg

0MG6kaA.jpeg

xYoHlZw.jpeg

Yup and the console growth rate per annum is twice that of PC.

Add to that energy conservation efforts, crypto mining, widespread cheating and recent legislation limiting pre-build sales..... along with the chip manufacturing issues..... I don't see PC ever becoming dominant. It is very popular with streamers and tech enthusiasts but I wouldn't necessarily say gamers and tech enthusiasts are one and the same. Many of these people just buy games to load it up and see how it looks on their hardware and try out some mods.

FStubbs

Which $400-500 Laptop is that?
I'm going to prove you wrong. For $500 right now I can get:

https://www.newegg.com/acer-aspire-5-a515-44-r4m5/p/N82E16834316900?Item=N82E16834316900 - This has about half the power of the PS5 ... Oops, actually, half the power of the PS4.
https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000A-0AYE7?Item=9SIB29BFFF3659 - this thing here doesn't even have the graphical power of the Switch
https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000D-06Z04?Item=9SIAEYJAJ23952 - graphics can probably keep up with the Switch, but nowhere near PS4
https://www.newegg.com/red-hp-15/p/1TS-000D-0JKB0?Item=9SIAA0SF4K3099 - this thing doesn't have the graphical power of the Switch either
https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000N-03YZ2?Item=9SIA1CZEDU7424&Description=gaming laptops&cm_re=gaming_laptops-_-9SIA1CZEDU7424-_-Product - can keep up with the Switch, but nowhere near PS4

I concede defeat, you win!

So the observation right now is that in 2021, you have to look closely to find a $500 laptop that can even beat the Switch in graphical horsepower. Beating the PS5 when it becomes widely available? Pipe dream unless the argument is it'll take almost a decade for it to become widely available, or $500 laptops see a dramatic increase in quality.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Wut ? The gaming PC market has never been in such a dire situation, it has become a hobby for rich kids (the stupid neon RGB and lame gamer accessories trends reflects that).
PC exclusives games have been almost extinct for years except some niche genres that are slowly dying out (RTS, MMO...).

I've been a PC enthusiast for the past 30 years, and I mostly play niche stuff like Everquest p99, CRPGs and I mod a lot, so I'll likely never switch to consoles.
But let's face it, PCs now have few to offer to most people compared to consoles when it comes to gaming, since consoles are now much cheaper PCs with a more friendly UI, and optimised software.
Gaming itself on PC has never been better IMO. I didn't use to game on PC but seriously considering skipping the PS5 entirely since most of what I want to play comes out on Switch or PC. Though I'm speaking as a console gamer. You are correct in that the traditional PC genres are dying (and stuff like wRPGs and FPSes are made for consoles now).

The thing is, I have to have a PC. So adding the value of gaming to it is convenient. I'm not alone since PC game sales continue to increase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom