• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pc will be the dominant gaming platform going forward.

Brofist

I don't know that it would be the dominant platform, consoles are like fast food, cheap, easy, and good enough for most people.

But the PC is becoming unavoidable as the platform to play the most games, with pretty much all 3rd party games and many console exclusives coming over now.

And if you are a serious gamer that likes to actually have some control over your hobby and not spoon fed by your favorite plastic box maker it's the way to go.

Last edited:

yurinka

There are so many indications pc gaming will be the dominant gaming platform in the coming years.
Facts point in another direction. Mobile has over half of the market share and has been by far the fastest growing gaming market and it's expected to continue in that way in the following years. And consoles continue growing as they did during a lot of years.

So no. PC won't be dominant and AAA and AA games will continue being made with consoles in mind because they will continue being their main market, specially PlayStation.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Facts point in another direction. Mobile has over half of the market share and is the fastest growing gaming market. And consoles continue growing.

Last I saw Mobile and Console were both around 7% growth, with mobile slightly higher (around 7.5%)

While PC was around 3-3.5% growth.

Could have changed in the last year with covid but I doubt it would change too drastically.

tusharngf

Gaming laptops are already very powerful. If they get cheaper i say PC future is good. The issue is semiconductor pricing. If they get it right and put everything as it is then yes PC will be dominant platform.

My main concern with PC gaming is a lot of niche Japanese games don't really sell all that great on the platform. There's definitely way more than there were 10 years ago, and I suspect that trend will continue, but we're still in that realm where some more niche titles don't even make it past 100+ reviews on the Steam page, which isn't really good for the future of those kinds of games.
That said, I love PC gaming, and hope it continues to trend upwards in use.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't think there's any doubt about it. Considering Microsoft and now Sony are releasing their first party games on PC now. This is their next gen battleground, and PC players reap the benefit by being the bystanders of the console war.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It's only dominant because it's made by a Japanese company and accepted in the East. Xbox is 'American' so it will never do as well. Even with the shit-show the PS5 is with the hardware and BC stuff everyone still pleasures themselves to a picture of the system.

MonarchJT

Banned
absolutely yes... the first page show how much people are out of touch with the gamers real world

Last edited:

hymanator

The main thing I hate about consoles is the software library not being backward or forward compatible. That's starting to change with PS5 supporting PS4 and Xbox supporting a large chunk of previous generations though.

Guilty_AI

steam is mostly fine rarely get problems with it cant say the same for the rest
Steam and gog for me.

I suppose what will cause most of the problems is either stuff thats naturally broken or 20 yo game discs people dug up from their basement.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
PCs are used for my job. Will never use them for gaming. Consoles offer more for the buck anyway.
Not really. Free internet, $60 games new with deeper discounts when on sale, free access to the graphics options, and now $10 fee on your games when you buy a new gpu.
October 5th, the last bastion of playstation falls when PC gets direct storage.
Windows 11 comes out on the 5th?

Sorta
Not for everyone, but it'll be pushed out in waves it seems

dorkimoe

Not really. Free internet, $60 games new with deeper discounts when on sale, free access to the graphics options, and now $10 fee on your games when you buy a new gpu.

only problem is nobody can get a GPU still...a full year later

Paasei

People here still think mouse clicks are hard and therefore somehow truly believe you need to work at NASA to understand how PC works, rofl. Baffles me everytime when I read some of these comments saying that PCs are hard to build/maintain/configure

Fare thee well

Neophyte
galadriel-lotr.gif

Last edited:

FStubbs

People here still think mouse clicks are hard and therefore somehow truly believe you need to work at NASA to understand how PC works, rofl. Baffles me everytime when I read some of these comments saying that PCs are hard to build/maintain/configure
This. First of all, you either have an Intel or AMD CPU and an Intel (LOL), AMD, or nVIDIA GPU. Wow, so complex. Sure, not quite as simple as "PS4", but it's not terribly complex either.

Most of these games you simply buy from Steam or gog (or whatever vendor) and play. It's nothing like it was back on DOS or Windows 3.1/95.

I beat Scarlet Nexus recently on PC. I simply downloaded the game, double clicked the icon on my desktop, and the game popped up on my screen and I was playing. Which is exactly how I would've gotten it running on PS4.

Granted, I played on a laptop, and the opportunity is there to build your own PC (which again, there aren't that many options out there, it's not like you're going to end up building an Amiga by mistake) and also I could have tweaked the settings in Scarlet Nexus if I wanted (which more and more console games let the user do too, btw). But these days, PC is as complex or as simple as you want it to be.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
If the cloud thing works out we won't really need to buy all that powerful hardware to play most games anyway...
PC, consoles, mobiles will all be successful but step by step i see mass market playing more and more on Cloud gaming and of course mobile.

Larxia

My 2k usd pc looks at ps5 and cries, the games load so long
This doesn't make any sense. Did you make a 2K PC but somehow still loading games from HDD? Because I guess then that would explain it.

Even between standard SATA SSD and Nvme drives, there's almost no difference (if at all) in current existing games, so if your loadings are so long on your pc compared to your PS5, then there's a problem somewhere with your PC.

Have you looked at the PS5 nvme SSD threads here? It's like watching a monkey play with and throw shit.

Last edited:

Brofist

PCs are used for my job. Will never use them for gaming. Consoles offer more for the buck anyway.
Offer more what? Power for the buck? Possibly, now that PC hardware prices are dumb. Utility for the buck? You’re out of your mind.

Almost everyone uses a PC at work these days, don’t see the relevance there.

Last edited:

Keihart

Unless the next gen nintendo console goes mainstream allowing for timely ports of everything, i think you are on the money.

Playstation is very set in moving on to PC to it seems, evidence by all the cross gen and ports efforts, they just need their own feature rich store but that it's probably a hard one to do since they keep failing in their onw console one, will see.

I would put my money on this being the last gen for consoles as the target platform unless Nintendo blindsides PS and Microsoft, PS and MS are putting themselves out of the space without anyone even forcing them, Nintendo is in a really good position, better than ever i would dare say.

Kenpachii

Prices for gpu's are insane atm, and amd isn't trying to help it get reduced with there price hike.

I feel its harder and harder to justify a PC these days specially. Sure there are tons of games and far more games that consoles ever will see. But the reality is, if you are a casual and don't mind controllers, ur best bet atm is consoles for sure.

NahaNago

Yeah, I tend to have the biggest problems with my pc games as well. Not all of my pc games, but I don't have these issues when playing on console.

your mistake is thinking im only talking about games

I've barely had any problems with the PC's I've built over the last 16 years. 1 out of the technically 7 PC's I've built died completely. The mistake I kept on making was buying Gigabyte motherboards. Moved onto Asus and ASRock 6 years ago. Haven't had a problem since.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Funny how each and every generation there are people saying consoles are doomed and they only sell faster and stronger despite all of the bullshit talk.

Mobile tried to kill the consoles.... he failed

cloud gaming tried to kill the consoles.... he was struck down again and again

PC tried to kill the consoles... they failed and were thrown to the ground.

No-one can destroy the consoles
The consoles will strike you down with a vicious blow
We are the vanquished foes of the consoles
We tried to win for why we do not know

Funny how each and every generation there are people saying consoles are doomed and they only sell faster and stronger despite all of the bullshit talk.

Mobile tried to kill the consoles.... he failed

cloud gaming tried to kill the consoles.... he was struck down again and again

PC tried to kill the consoles... they failed and were thrown to the ground.

No-one can destroy the consoles
The consoles will strike you down with a vicious blow
We are the vanquished foes of the consoles
We tried to win for why we do not know

The "PC gaming is dead" meme never ended. Still going strong since 2006.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
When ps5 becomes videly available you will be able to buy a cheap as shit gpu, apu, laptop that plays all games at a standard higher than ps5.
What's wrong with owning a PC and a PS5? Access to all the best games that way.

And a decent gaming laptop is gonna set you back £1,000. Also a 'real' gamer plays on a desktop, not a friggin laptop 🤦.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This doesn't make any sense. Did you make a 2K PC but somehow still loading games from HDD? Because I guess then that would explain it.

Even between standard SATA SSD and Nvme drives, there's almost no difference (if at all) in current existing games, so if your loadings are so long on your pc compared to your PS5, then there's a problem somewhere with your PC.
I have nvme drives only. Just pc don't have that integration. Direct storage is coming

yurinka

Last I saw Mobile and Console were both around 7% growth, with mobile slightly higher (around 7.5%)

While PC was around 3-3.5% growth.

Could have changed in the last year with covid but I doubt it would change too drastically.

This year PC and console have a decline YoY because are coming back to normality after the covid bump, so console and PC will see a decline YoY for the first time in many years:
Newzoo_2021_Global_Games_Market_Per_Segment_2021-1920x1080.png

Can't find the December 2020 numbers, but the estimated numbers for 2020 in summer 2020 were these ones (difficult to watch in the dark forums theme due to transparency, sorry):
Newzoo_2020_Global_Games_Market_per_Segment-52.png

The long term trend is something like this (it's a prediction from 2018 but you'll get the idea):
1*DqkL4lo9XK9BRPjLAcOizA.png

crecimiento-industria-gaming-2111505.jpg

Mobile has been the fastest growing market by far during many years and has by far the biggest amount of players and revenue. Same goes with Asia (mostly China, then others like South Korea, Japan or Russia) when you compare by regions. And same goes with F2P if you compare by business model. This is why in the recent year the console publishers got interested on mobile and F2P, and why people like Sony are interested to partner with Chinese or South Korean studios and also want to expand to PC. Because in many of these countries consoles aren't popular and they mostly play on mobile or PC, and mainly in F2P games.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I'm also almost 35 and to be honest i'm kinda done with PC gaming. Of course it really depends what kind of games you play but most of the AAA games nowadays are made for console in mind. As for me, perfect solution is PS5 and then in 2024 Ps5 Pro.

The more i'm older more i realize that great GPU is like having a Ferrari limited to 100km/h,you'll never going to experience true power with it. What's the point of having GTX 2080?Even though its 5x faster than PS4/X1 Gpu you get a bit better res and frame rate and that's it. I'm jelaous seeing how games look like on 2013 console hardware. We're in 2021 and there's basically no Pc game other than Star Citizen looks better than God of War, HZD, Last of Us 2,Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman etc.

Im tired of PC gaming, no game is made for PC in mind and thats it. I remember how The Division 1 looked on GTX 680 back in 2013 and they downgraded it even on PC just because console couldn't run it.
Many games are made for console in mind, but certain games are better on PC such as first-person shooters (especially when adjusting the FOV on an ultrawide monitor) and RTS games.

Ultimately it comes down whether it's worth it to you, but until recently console games were mostly restricted to 30fps. Being able to play at 60 - 144fps for example makes a huge difference, and a good PC will do this with a higher native resolution than the console equivalent, and with more advanced graphical effects.

God of War and The Last of Us 2 look amazing, two of the best games ever. But when you play say Red Dead 2 on high/ultra settings, at 1440p/4K you'll see that nothing can touch it.

As I say the best situation is to have both. I can get all the Playstation exclusives/console experience on PS5, but I can play BF 2042 and any MGS games on PC.

Top Bottom