• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCGamer: Steam Deck is already the emulation system of my dreams

jaysius

Banned
90% of the people use this sitting at their computer desk at home, people are so starved for a novel experience they’ll do it with great compromises.

PhaseJump

Banned
I want to see the receipts on this bullshit claim.

Nah bud. Too much effort. You are better off asking for proof that he carries a day pass to be off the funny farm:

You're fighting for and supporting shitty business practices that Steam are doing?

OK, you deserve all the other bullshit they're going to do.

You're FINE with PAYING for a KEYBOARD SKIN in 2022, even though it's "reward program" points, it's still something they've quantified.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
If you have a multi core cpu and a dedicated gpu you can emulate all but the last few generations.

Raspberry pie can emulate all the cart based consoles.

What does that have to do with a claim that 90% of people using this handheld machine are at home sitting at computer desks? Or are somehow so desperate for the new experience, that they'll accept compromising on quality of some sort?

barack-obama-former-us-president.gif

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
What does that have to do with a claim that 90% of people using this handheld machine are at home sitting at computer desks? Or are somehow so desperate for the new experience, that they'll accept compromising on quality of some sort?
I think the point is the experience could have been made with a device they already had and didn’t need the deck.

The deck offers some advantages but saying it na some revolutionary emulation machine is sort of weird.

PhaseJump

Banned
I think the point is the experience could have been made with a device they already had and didn’t need the deck.

The deck offers some advantages but saying it na some revolutionary emulation machine is sort of weird.

It's not weird at all.

Is there a device readily available that everybody already has, that allows us to play PC games in our hands, and has any better performance for emulation?

It's a PC. It's handheld. People will be walking around with it in their hands, sitting at more than just their computer desks.
I suspect 90% of people will be spending 25% of their time playing it while hiding in a bathroom, taking a shit; But, I come from the internet, and I am just pulling numbers out of my ass.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
If you have a multi core cpu and a dedicated gpu you can emulate all but the last few generations.

Raspberry pi can emulate all the cart based consoles. And even some of the disc ones.
Provide receipts that 90% of people primarily play Deck at their PC desk.

Name a $400 handheld that can run Switch or PS3 emu as good as Steam Deck. This $400 handheld is also going to need to be able to run PC games like TW3 at 60fps.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
It's not weird at all.

Is there a device readily available that everybody already has, that allows us to play PC games in our hands, and has any better performance for emulation?

It's a PC. It's handheld. People will be walking around with it in their hands, sitting at more than just their computer desks.
I suspect 90% of people will be spending 25% of their time playing it while hiding in a bathroom, taking a shit; But, I come from the internet, and I am just pulling numbers out of my ass.
Yup lots of tulips will be fostered with it. I guess the hiding in the bathroom implies hiding from the SO or kids.

Where are people buying all these ROMs? :messenger_grimmacing_

Seems like the modern version of what the PSP used to be. There was always demand for that and makes a lot more sense to play some old console games and portable games than most modern PC games that weren't really made to be played on a small screen and with those controllers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom