• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pedro Pascal ‘Can’t See Shit’ In The Mandalorian Armour: ‘If There’s A Hole, I’m Gonna Fall Into It’

Draugoth

Gold Member
mando-1.jpg

Pedro Pascal ‘Can’t See Shit’ In The Mandalorian Armour: ‘If There’s A Hole, I’m Gonna Fall Into It’​

https://www.empireonline.com/people/rick-famuyiwa/
There’s a reason that Mandalorian armour became such a big deal in the Star Wars galaxy: simply put, it looks cool as hell. That distinctive helmet and breastplate made Boba Fett an instant hit with fans everywhere for decades – and Din Djarin has more than picked up that mantle in The Mandalorian, bringing serious swagger and slick, stoic stature to the tradition Mandalorian get-up. This really is the way. But while Mando looks undeniably awesome from the outside, the reality of being inside that suit is altogether different.

“It’s like putting on a head-to-toe glove with weights on it,
” Pedro Pascal tells Empire of what it’s like being inside Din Djarin’s Beskar get-up. While that helmet is impenetrable for his enemies to see beneath, it’s equally as difficult for the Mandalorian actors to see out of. “It’s ironic that you can’t see any facial expression because it puts you in the world so completely, and instantly makes the character feel real – but you can’t see shit!” he laughs.

Over the course of Season 1, Season 2, The Book Of Boba Fett, and now into Season 3, Mando’s armour has gone through all kinds of upgrades on-screen – and the costume has improved too in that time. But there’s no getting around it: that visor window remains as impractical as it is badass. “They’ve continued to finesse and make it more comfortable, but it’s like going blind,” Pascal recounts. “Your breath completely fogs up the narrow slit that you can see through. There’s no peripheral vision. If there’s a hole, I’m gonna fall into it.” In all other ways, though, it’s the ideal way to channel the might and mystery of one of Star Wars’ coolest heroes “When it’s on, you immediately feel powerful, protected, dangerous, and like a protector,” says Pascal. Just, don’t have him standing near any holes, ok?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
A few of the stunt actors, such as the guy they have to do most of the hand to hand combat scenes, seemed to have pretty good spatial awareness in some behind the scenes content I saw years back. Maybe they have a modified helmet for the stunt doubles, or just digitally put the helmet on their heads in post.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think the Howard girl said when she directed an episode he was never on set, they used a Mando stand in for his scenes. And you certainly can. helmet free scene don't require you pay the actor to be there. You just have to pay him to be in the VO booth.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You could probably rig up some cameras or something with a stripped down Quest 2 you would think. Just make the inside a VR mixed reality thing.

Wasn't he in the television adaptation of The Last of Us? So he has that and Star Wars to fall back on the luck bastard.

Last edited:

Toons

Banned
Yea this happens a lot with these wierd helmets. Adam Driver had no peripheral vision with kylo rens mask either

Wouldn't be surprised if the stormtroopers actors couldn't actually see anything either.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You could probably rig up some cameras or something with a stripped down Quest 2 you would think. Just make the inside a VR mixed reality thing.
hes just complaining for the sake of complaining. They shoot the damn show on a sound stage surrounded by big LED screens. There are no holes there. The stuntman who do all the fighting sequences have no problems seeing out of the thing and they are the ones who actually need to see where they are going.

Im sure its uncomfortable for him, but its bizarre that he signed up for this role knowing it would require him to wear this suit and is now throwing a fit over it.

The show is like 20 minutes long and has 8 episodes per season shot entirely in warehouses with air conditioners instead of on location. I bet he sweat more shooting game of thrones.

Toons

Banned
hes just complaining for the sake of complaining. They shoot the damn show on a sound stage surrounded by big LED screens. There are no holes there. The stuntman who do all the fighting sequences have no problems seeing out of the thing and they are the ones who actually need to see where they are going.

Im sure its uncomfortable for him, but its bizarre that he signed up for this role knowing it would require him to wear this suit and is now throwing a fit over it.

The show is like 20 minutes long and has 8 episodes per season shot entirely in warehouses with air conditioners instead of on location. I bet he sweat more shooting game of thrones.

Hes not "throwing a fit" at all lmfao

Do you have something against this guy or something?

SlimySnake

Hes not "throwing a fit" at all lmfao

Do you have something against this guy or something?
he literally left the show mid season. this isnt something new.

i have nothing against Pedro. Oberyn is still my favorite game of thrones character because of his performance. He just doesnt work in TLOU. I like him way more here, but anyone following the helmet saga knows this is not a new thing.

Last edited:

i have nothing against Pedro. Oberyn is still my favorite game of thrones character because of his performance. He just doesnt work in TLOU. I like him way more here, but anyone following the helmet saga knows this is not a new thing.
He left the show? Now I'm confused.

Toons

Banned

That's not throwing a fit though. Hes got a lot of projects going on.

Theres nothing even objectionable in this article and hes not the first nor second nor third actor to state this about the star wars helmets.

Toons

Banned
There were rumors that he had left the show and had to replaced by stand-ins until they convinced him to come back.

This was all over the internet last year. how is this new news?

I saw none of this. And I'm betting its complete media pot stirring BS.

gatti-man

He is literally carrying the last of us with his two bare hands besides ep3

ManaByte

Gold Member
He's survived this long without falling

He'll be fine

(Blooper reel anyone?)

Because he's not in the suit 80% of the time. He's only in it when they need to remove the helmet. Otherwise it's two different stuntmen wearing it and he just records his lines later.

ManaByte

Gold Member
There were rumors that he had left the show and had to replaced by stand-ins until they convinced him to come back.

That was BS made up by Grace Randolph. He didn't leave the show. They used two stuntmen from day 1 (Brendan Wayne and Lateef Crowder) in the suit. Pedro is only really in it when he needs to remove the helmet; otherwise he's just doing ADR dialog for it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That was BS made up by Grace Randolph. He didn't leave the show. They used two stuntmen from day 1 in the suit. Pedro is only really in it when he needs to remove the helmet; otherwise he's just doing ADR dialog for it.
He literally says its struggle to see in the suit and hes afraid of falling so hes clearly putting on the suit.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This whole time I thought they just paid him to do voice acting and it was just a stunt guy in the suit.

You're not wrong. He does wear it occasionally, but they use two different stuntmen for it when he's not in it.

Really not too different than Vader. When he was standing around it was David Prowse, while anytime he used a lightsaber it was Bob Anderson.

That's actually wrong, he didn't leave the show. It was that during season 1 he was at the same time doing Richard III on Broadway (saw him, he was great), because of the schedule they had to use the stuntmen, he did the voice lines later on and obviously did the scenes at the end of the season where he takes of his helmet. Season 2 I think he was mostly there.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That's actually wrong, he didn't leave the show. It was that during season 1 he was at the same time doing Richard III on Broadway (saw him, he was great), because of the schedule they had to use the stuntmen, he did the voice lines later on and obviously did the scenes at the end of the season where he takes of his helmet. Season 2 I think he was mostly there.

He filmed that Nic Cage movie during Season 2, so they used the stuntmen again. But that doesn't stop YouTubers from inventing bullshit that he left the show for monetized outrage views.

Top Bottom