• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pedro Pascal Is Reportedly Making a Lot of Money in The Last of Us HBO TV Show

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a new report, Pedro Pascal is making $600,000 an episode to play Joel in HBO's upcoming TV adaptation of PlayStation's The Last of Us. Compared to how much the cast of Friends was making by the end of the show -- $1 million an episode -- this may seem like a humble amount, but by today's standards, it's a pretty hefty paycheck. To put this number into better perspective, Netflix is reportedly paying Henry Cavill $400,000 and episode to play Geralt of Rivia, the series' protagonist. Making $600,000 per episode, Pascal gains to make $6 million across 10 episodes.

The report comes the way of Variety, who explains that in the current landscape cash is largely upfront due to the age of streaming. In other words, there are fewer back-end facets of contracts that allow acting talent to earn more over time. And even when these deals are struck, they aren't paying out like they used to.

Stuart360

Good wage obviously but not huge compared to some poeple in the past, like the Friends cast as said, and Mulder and Scully were making close to that in the last few seasons of X-Files 20 years ago.
Also really surprised Henry Cavill 'only' made $400k an episode for The Witcher, to say he's pretty much a B level movie star, and a much bigger name than the likes of Pedro.

Kenpachii

Good wage obviously but not huge compared to some poeple in the past, like the Friends cast as said, and Mulder and Scully were making close to that in the last few seasons of X-Files 20 years ago.
Also really surprised Henry Cavill 'only' made $400k an episode for The Witcher, to say he's pretty much a B level movie star, and a much bigger name than the likes of Pedro.

Did henry ever appeared in a movie/series that was a juggernaut success tho? I feel like everything he gets pushed into is average at best.

Pedro featured in game of thrones, basically the main guy in mandalorian both he is highly praised on. He's also featuring now in movies like the next movie with tom cruise which probably will also be a hit.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Did henry ever appeared in a movie/series that was a juggernaut success tho? I feel like everything he gets pushed into is average at best.

Pedro featured in game of thrones, basically the main guy in mandalorian both he is highly praised on. He's also featuring now in movies like the next movie with tom cruise which probably will also be a hit.
The Superman movies?. I mean regardless, Cavill is a bigger name than Pedro. I think if you asked 100 random passers by on the street, a lot more would know who Henry Cavill is over Pedro Pascall.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hope he invest in a helmet

Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

Last edited:

Kenpachii

The Superman movies?. I mean regardless, Cavill is a bigger name than Pedro. I think if you asked 100 random passers by on the street, a lot more would know who Henry Cavill is over Pedro Pascall.

Yea i liked his movies, but from what i hear they where considered a flop.

Pedro basically because of mandalorian and his appearance in games of thrones is pretty hot stuff to get into your series. That's why he's getting paid that much probably.

Stuart360

Yea i liked his movies, but from what i hear they where considered a flop.

Pedro basically because of mandalorian and his appearance in games of thrones is pretty hot stuff to get into your series. That's why he's getting paid that much probably.
I mean i like Pedro too. I actually think the second season of Mandalorian was the best tv series i have seen in years.
He also confirmed a third series in a recent interview.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Good for him. He has genre chops and is an excellent actor. He's worked his way up from GoT to NARCOS and both DC and Disney properties.

If the show sucks it won't be because of him or the actress playing Elly (Lady Walder from GoT. . . chick who went out like a boss).

Hugare

So they are definitely going for "Part 2" on Season 2 lol

Good for him. Look like he is a good dude, and great actor.

Deserves the same paycheck as those big stars from Hollywood that get way more money for a 2h movie

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Does he really have that accent from Game of Thrones? Very weird if he does. Also a British Ellie. Not sure what they are thinking at all with the casting tbh.

Roberts

Like the guy a lot in pretty much everything I have seen him so far. He’s got tons of charisma to spare and deserves every dollar.

Reallink

I love Cavill, but relative to Pedro, he is still a b list actor. This may change depending on the Witcher's success.

I legitimately have no idea who Pedro Pascal is, have never heard his name once outside of videogame forums, and couldn't pick him out of a lineup of 5 people. Never seen a single movie or show featuring him AFAIK. In terms of broad actor recognition, it's almost certain that far more people know of Cavill if only as "Oh, Superman", but what list that qualifies him for I don't know.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
They probably feel comfortable with the price because they know how the story ends. It's not with a lot of Pedro Pascal paychecks, spoilers.

Might go 'FORE episodes into season 2.

Yoboman

Good for him

Seems like a guy who was only getting extras roles for a long time before getting a big break

I don't know about that. Pedro Pascal is big name because of Game of Thrones, Narcos and The mandalorian and Henry Cavill is a big name because... Superman??

What surprises me though is that Pedro is making a show for Disney competition. Aren't there some kind of exclusivity deals?

600k is really low to what other are paying. The suckers at Apple payed Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon 1.2 million for episode for a series that nobody saw lmao.

I legitimately have no idea who Pedro Pascal is, have never heard his name once outside of videogame forums, and couldn't pick him out of a lineup of 5 people. Never seen a single movie or show featuring him AFAIK. In terms of broad actor recognition, it's almost certain that far more people know of Cavill if only as "Oh, Superman", but what list that qualifies him for I don't know.
So you haven't heard of the Mandalorian? The show that started Disney plus?

Nah he was huge in Narcos before that and game of thrones. The man is a stud.
Game of thrones. It was one of the best characters. Narcos was meh just like the rest of the series and I didn't care for the Mandalorian but I know it was a pretty big show. More than anything Henry Cavill has done.

MrKnocks

Neo Member
T
I don't know about that. Pedro Pascal is big name because of Game of Thrones, Narcos and The mandalorian and Henry Cavill is a big name because... Superman??

What surprises me though is that Pedro is making a show for Disney competition. Aren't there some kind of exclusivity deals?

600k is really low to what other are paying. The suckers at Apple payed Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon 1.2 million for episode for a series that nobody saw lmao.
The Morning Show is a fantastic show. Take that back!

According to a new report, Pedro Pascal is making $600,000 an episode to play Joel in HBO's upcoming TV adaptation of PlayStation's The Last of Us. Compared to how much the cast of Friends was making by the end of the show -- $1 million an episode -- this may seem like a humble amount, but by today's standards, it's a pretty hefty paycheck. To put this number into better perspective, Netflix is reportedly paying Henry Cavill $400,000 and episode to play Geralt of Rivia, the series' protagonist. Making $600,000 per episode, Pascal gains to make $6 million across 10 episodes.

The report comes the way of Variety, who explains that in the current landscape cash is largely upfront due to the age of streaming. In other words, there are fewer back-end facets of contracts that allow acting talent to earn more over time. And even when these deals are struck, they aren't paying out like they used to.

Yeah, its bad. But it's just the way it is these days. Daniel Craig is making more (up front) to play some 'I can't remember why he's important but he's vaguely charming' detective in the Knives Out movie trilogy (2 and 3 to come straight to streaming from my understanding--$100M over three movies) than he did playin JAMES FREAKIN' BOND. FACTS

Not that he's super old or anything but it's a ton of money to be paid all at once that he can just put away and have it make him infinitely more into his retirement. I don't blame the guy for doing that when the alternative is killing himself for a blockbuster 'must be experienced in the theatre' type movie.

Then there's the opposite side of the coin where youngins like Scarjo are suing because their movie was supposed to be box-office dynamite but because it was offered on an already-overpriced streaming service, she didn't make the same bank. Not trying to demonize anyone but I think the contrast there is interesting.

What? Cavill has done supes, MI 7(?), that huge Tudor show (virtually the same as Got), the spy movie (Man from Uncle) and the Witcher. He totally dominates over Pascal.

Lul what? Got is watched by at least 10x the size audience (being nice). Tudors in the latest season averaging a little above 2 mil viewers. The last season of Got was around 20 mil just on HBO and pirated by nearly 3 times that. Not saying Cavil ain't based but c'mon now...

Soodanim

Lul what? Got is watched by at least 10x the size audience (being nice). Tudors in the latest season averaging a little above 2 mil viewers. The last season of Got was around 20 mil just on HBO and pirated by nearly 3 times that. Not saying Cavil ain't based but c'mon now...
Do you have a source for GoT being pirated by 60 million people?

Pretty ridiculous for an actor who doesn't look a shit like the main character

I assume they hired it because of its name mainly

The guy's a good actor. Maybe that's one of the reasons he got the part?

My personal pick for Joel would've been Hugh Jackman. His look for Prisoners very, very Joel-like... His performance was great in the movie

EruditeHobo

There were 22 episodes of Friends per season, and 6 cast members all getting the same rate... so it's a whole different metric being used here.

Going to be a Joel-heavy season. And while yes it's a good paycheck for a show, he's almost certainly the only person getting paid like this for this season -- no one else has the leverage of being in a hit streaming show, which his people will have used to exert some influence in getting that kind of number.

Mikey Jr.

I wonder if they will make this a 1 season thing?

Like everything is wrapped up and that's it.

Or will they break up tlou into multiple seasons? Joel getting impailed is probably a good season cliffhanger.

MadPanda

Banned
We really enjoy his acting. First at Mandalorian, but he was with a mask. Then we watched narcos and agent Pena was amazing. I'm sure my wife will be surprised when I tell her he's going to be Joel in this series.

Great Hair

Banned
There are about 100 peeps working on it, making each up to 100K? plus 30? actors earning up to 600K ... so in total we can estimate the following :
"Rent a few servers Sony and make a fokking CGI MOVIE YOU LAZY CUNTS! and no need to pay HBO, dumb actors anything!!

CAPISCE!!"
Mario Mean GIF

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned

Pedro is huge. Even before the mandalorian he was blowing up. Great character in game of thrones which is one of the biggest shows ever. He was also amazing in Narcos and I’m pretty sure that show was pretty big when it first came out

Dibils2k

yeah those were established series/characters 😆

its higher than cavill probably because cavill wanted to make that series where as here money was used to pursuade the actor not the material

The guy's a good actor. Maybe that's one of the reasons he got the part?

My personal pick for Joel would've been Hugh Jackman. His look for Prisoners very, very Joel-like... His performance was great in the movie
Pascal is a fantastic actor
It's only I didn't like the choice, even if he's the best possible choice from a commercial standpoint, still looks nothing like Joel

And this, you know, is not good for a videogame based opera, even more if it's one of the most important series ever now, appearance fidelity is also important and casting has been terrible so far

There were dozens of better compromises between talent and resemblance

FunkMiller

Henry got fucked by the whole Superman debacle. Snyder & WBs mistakes unfortunately got their stink on him. He's also made a few questionable decisions when it comes to his representation. The move away from UA was a mistake.

Top Bottom