• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pentiment - Reviews Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Opencritic 87

Metacritic

---

VG24 / 7: 5/5
Eurogamer: Recommended
God is Geek: 9/10
Xbox Era: 8.7/10
AltChair 9.5/10
PCGamesN: 7/10
Windows Central 5/5

Seasoned Gaming: 8 / 10.0
Read full review

GameOnAus: Recommended
Read full review

Inverse: 9/10
Read full review

The Beta Network: 6/10
Read full review

Dexerto: 5/5
Read full review

Echo Boomer: Recommended
Read full review

Mondo Xbox: 8.3/10
Read full review

Cerealkillerz 8.5/10
Read full review

Well Played 10/10
Read full review

Stevior: 8/10
Read full review

Generacion Xbox: 95/100
Read full review

Gaming Trend: 9/10
Read full review

Last edited:
Sounds like everything I hoped it would be. Great writing, tons of player agency, incredible attention to historical detail.

Seems like it is pretty slow paced though, but that's intentional given the slow pace of life back then and the fact the story takes place over decades.

Can't decide if I'm playing this or Somerville first.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Never heard of this game but it's on gamepass...

KHFpEwH.jpg

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
nice, will it be available on PC? I dont have an xbox but this seems interesting.

Best font of the year. Calling it now.

"That aforementioned dialogue in Pentiment is oozing with personality, and immediately drew me in; Obsidian Entertainment managed to make Pentiment's text-heavy narration a strength rather than a weakness. Every character in Pentiment has a unique font that mirrors Andreas' personal perspective of that character; Scribes and monks write with a flowery script, peasants scrawl with a messy hand, printers press their type into the page rather than write, and more. What's more, that font can change mid-conversation if Andreas learns something that shifts his perspective. For example, Andreas may realize that who he believed was an illiterate peasant is actually educated. Suddenly, that character's casual font becomes more formal and complex."

"This all works because the dialogue in Pentiment is written onto the page in real-time, complete with typos that are hurriedly fixed by the writer with the sound of a knife or rock scraping the ink from the paper. The ink blooms and dries over a brief period of time as it sets, and it doesn't always do so in a consistent fashion. Finally, important words that are written in a distinct colored ink (such as holy words, written in red) are placed on the page after the rest, in line with the process of actual scribes from the era. It may seem deceptively simple on the surface, but this approach to written dialogue comes with an attention to detail not seen in many other games"

Last edited:
"Being on Game Pass helps give easier access to those who may be put off by the premise initially. It is a testament to the types of games creatives can take a risk on that otherwise would never have been released in the old entirely sales-focused system."

Been saying that for a while. For all the worry that sub services will result in a race to the bottom, we're currently seeing instead that creative people are free to pursue weirder and more niche projects and can still find an audience now.

Ansphn

You can also play Elden Ring in it, considering your avatar. Unless you’re (poorly) trolling?

Pentiment is one of the games that makes me envious of Xbox owners.
Why when i can instead buy a PS5 and play Returnal, Elden Ring, God of War, Horizon and even more exclusives on the way like Final fantasy 16, Final Fantasy - Rebirth, Forspoken, Spiderman, and Wolverine. And those were the games announced so far.

Still having an Xbox over the PS5 is not a good choice and games like this make me feel pity for Xbox owners who have no choice but to keep the system due to circumstances.

I don't plan on arguing about this low caliber game on a $500 system.

Last edited:

adamsapple

"Being on Game Pass helps give easier access to those who may be put off by the premise initially. It is a testament to the types of games creatives can take a risk on that otherwise would never have been released in the old entirely sales-focused system."

Been saying that for a while. For all the worry that sub services will result in a race to the bottom, we're currently seeing instead that creative people are free to pursue weirder and more niche projects and can still find an audience now.

Indeed. That and having the GP blanket has not stopped Obsidian from geenlighting AAA projects like Avoewed, Outer Worlds 2 etc either. And reportedly this game was made by a very small team so it wouldn't have any notable effect on other development either.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its early but surprised at the good reviews. I didn't follow this game at all. All I know is it's a quirky looking game akin to some PC games in the 90s like a clicky adventure game (I think).

I was thinking the reviews could be all over the place on the ratings scale.

Why when i can instead buy a PS5 and play Returnal, Elden Ring, God of War, Horizon and even more exclusives on the way like Final fantasy 16, Final Fantasy - Rebirth, Forspoken, Spiderman, and Wolverine. And those were the games announced so far.

Still having an Xbox over the PS5 is not a good choice and games like this make me feel pity for Xbox owners who have no choice but to keep the system due to circumstances.

If this was in Pentiment, it would be written in uneducated, peasant font.

feynoob

Banned

How do grown ups act like Manchild?

Dude, no one is forcing you here.

Fanboys man. They are different breed.

tommib

Seek help, fast.

Ansphn

Seek help, fast.
Why so triggered? Was i lying in that post? I'm just an angry former Xbox and Gamepass customer lashing out cause i wasted $500 on the system and took a loss when i had to sell it at a loss to get a PS5 (I sold it at $250 cause nobody wanted to buy it for more). You guys keep thinking i'm fanboying but i'm just a disgruntled former customer of Xbox.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Why so triggered? Was i lying in that post? I'm just an angry former Xbox and Gamepass customer lashing out cause i wasted $500 on the system and took a loss when i had to sell it at a loss to get a PS5 (I sold it at $250 cause nobody wanted to buy it for more). You guys keep thinking i'm fanboying but i'm just a disgruntled former customer of Xbox.
Because you are crying like a kid dude.

This is a video game console. It just does that. Stop acting like spoiled brat.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Honestly, huge fucking kudos to Microsoft for continuining to publish and/or support the development of unique, niche games such as this.

Games that might not have the largest sales appeal but review very highly. Games like Flight Simulator, Psychonauts 2 (I know this was in development before Microsoft acquired them but Microsoft's funding allowed them to significantly increase their scope), Age of Empires IV, As Dusk Falls, and now Pentiment.

I really hope this trend continues, as these passion project type games are important to the industry.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Bunch of more reviews added to OP and the aggregates. Reviewing very nicely so far.

Top Bottom