• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pentiment - Reviews Thread

Kimahri

Banned
GameSpot hit this with a 6/10

The review is a wall of text so I only skimmed through it. One section in particular jumped out at me though.

Seems like there is a lot of replay value here which is great imo.
I actually liked this part of the game. You're not a super hero. You don't have unlimited time. Finding a killer on a time limit doesn't necessarily lead to good choices.
if any xbox 2022 game is deserving of an 85 it should be Scorn... yet that's rated lower than this.
plague tale requirem is rated lower, so is TMNT cowabunga collection and No more Heroes 3..... WTF????

Why not do one of two things?

Either play the game and find out of it's as shit as you've decided it is.

Or just leave the rest of us alone with your opinions about a game you haven't actually played?

Little Mac

Narrative point and clicks aren't my thing but I'll give it a shot based on the scores. I'm more excited about Somerville brining released tomorrow but I haven't heard much about it impressions/review-wise.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
zFYnmNT.jpg
What does this have to do with this thread?

Karak

Mine for ACG - Test it if you have gamepass if not check to the niche.

The game can be glacial, especially the first 1-2 hours. Its a very very interesting idea but the barren presentation and the requirement to really be into it versus any real entry for others makes its hard to say leap in.
Really really glad it was made and is a great idea of the titles I want on gamepass

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
looks interesting, I wish listed it on Steam for now because it seems like the perfect kind of game to play on the Deck

it's definitely not a genre for everyone and we're seeing some scores that reflect that but glad to see Obsidian seems to have hit it out of the park for those of us who do enjoy this sort of game

clarky

Gold Member
its not just graphics Sonic Frontiers gameplay is actually existent. Whether or not it's good it certainly has more engagement than this. There's more to do in that game than in Pentiment. By all accounts Pentiment should have a way lower score, it's a niche genre and it shouldn't really sit well with reviewers. Yet it does shit like this. You can't convince me this isn't moneyhatting
You really can't be serious. That or your 5 years old.

I don't plan on arguing about this low caliber game on a $500 system.
You associate the cost spent on a game with quality or caliber? So if a game like say anthem cost 100 million to make you'd rather play it off the fact it had a big budget vs a smaller experience like that that is seemingly better from a game design perspective on paper? Honest question...I know too many gamers who won't play a game if it isn't triple A.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
GameSpot hit this with a 6/10

The review is a wall of text so I only skimmed through it. One section in particular jumped out at me though.

Seems like there is a lot of replay value here which is great imo.
I dont get how this guy considers the game having time a bad thing.
Yes all your actions use up time, so if you "wasted" time talking to the "wrong" character, thats that.
Thats part of the challenge.

splattered

Been on the fence about this one since reveal, now that it is scoring well i just hopped over and purchased it. I might not ever even play this... but my wife and son are going to love it. Money well spent in any case.

Karak

Looks like it's reviewed well and is lovingly crafted but this doesn't look like it's a game I'd enjoy personally. Might check it out if it's on a steam/keyshop sale but I'm not going out of my way to play this, definitely not at the moment anyway.
This is going to come up a lot. It's identical to how I came away from it. It is a niche within a niche. Something that the devs have spoken about and its taken game pass to see it come out. This is awesome as I think this shows some of the coolness game pass can create. But this is solidly a "Choice of" text adventure but with pics and not say like Disco or something like that.

Last edited:

Ansphn

You associate the cost spent on a game with quality or caliber? So if a game like say anthem cost 100 million to make you'd rather play it off the fact it had a big budget vs a smaller experience like that that is seemingly better from a game design perspective on paper? Honest question...I know too many gamers who won't play a game if it isn't triple A.
I dont know about you but if i purchase a system made to play games like Xbox and Playstation at $500, i expect to play AAA big budget games. Games like As Dusk falls, Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol and Pentament can be played on a mobile phone, web browser or anywhere.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
its not just graphics Sonic Frontiers gameplay is actually existent. Whether or not it's good it certainly has more engagement than this. There's more to do in that game than in Pentiment. By all accounts Pentiment should have a way lower score, it's a niche genre and it shouldn't really sit well with reviewers. Yet it does shit like this. You can't convince me this isn't moneyhatting

What even is this post?

Ansphn

You don't have to, do you? It's good to have diversity in gaming and not every game has to please YOU.
The world doesn't revolve around you, my silly snowflake.
I would have to disagree. Yes if i kept my Xbox (Xbox revolves around Phil Spencer), i would agree but when i purchased a PS5 it feels like the world does revolve around me. God of war, Last of us - part 2, Returnal, Demon souls, Horizon - Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank and more AAA on the way like Final Fantasy 16, Forspoken, Final Fantasy 7 - Rebirth, Spiderman 2 & Wolverine. I feel like im the center of the world when i switched to Playstation. AAA after AAA after AAA...

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It's games like these that make me consider getting a Series S. It's like 180€ right now, which is not that much of an investment. Then just get GP for a month every now and then.
Screw subbing monthly just get 3 years of Turkish gold for like €80 and convert it to Game Pass.

Karak

I would have to disagree. Yes if i kept my Xbox (Xbox revolves around Phil Spencer), i would agree but when i purchased a PS5 it feels like the world does revolve around me. God of war, Last of us - part 2, Returnal, Demon souls, Horizon - Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank and more AAA on the way like Final Fantasy 16, Forspoken, Final Fantasy 7 - Rebirth, Spiderman 2 & Wolverine. I feel like im the center of the world when i switched to Playstation. AAA after AAA after AAA...
This is an interesting discussion for sure. As I feel that the Playstation games do NOT revolve around me. I like many of them but not all and for sure not their normal status of 3rd person action games constantly. But I see this popping up alot. Nintendo fans as well and their like/dislike of the Switch. VR too but in a more condensed worldview obviously

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I dont know about you but if i purchase a system made to play games like Xbox and Playstation at $500, i expect to play AAA big budget games. Games like As Dusk falls, Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol and Pentament can be played on a mobile phone, web browser or anywhere.
I have no idea why the mods haven't done anything about you, but please take your whining, derailing, trolling and console warring elsewhere so people that are actually interested in the game can discuss it in peace without your bullshit. It's gone on long enough.

I more so buy a system for it's ease of access...I could afford a pc but the amount of effort that goes into it for me is a bit much. I have both an XSX and PS5 and I paused gow R to play vampire survivor because that game has me in a chokehold. I just enjoy great experiences regardless of budget. Like I'm not upset I paid both 25$ to watch black panther and everything everywhere all at once...to me its about the experience not the budget of the project.

Ansphn

I have no idea why the mods haven't done anything about you, but please take your whining, derailing, trolling and console warring elsewhere so people that are actually interested in the game can discuss it in peace without your bullshit. It's gone on long enough.
Why are you trying to get me banned? People keep responding to me and asking me questions. I have not attacked anybody and already explained my position. How am i console warring. Leave your personal hate against me because i speak the truth at the door.

Why when i can instead buy a PS5 and play Returnal, Elden Ring, God of War, Horizon and even more exclusives on the way like Final fantasy 16, Final Fantasy - Rebirth, Forspoken, Spiderman, and Wolverine. And those were the games announced so far.

Still having an Xbox over the PS5 is not a good choice and games like this make me feel pity for Xbox owners who have no choice but to keep the system due to circumstances.

I don't plan on arguing about this low caliber game on a $500 system.
Tell me you’re a PS neck beard warrior without telling me you’re a PS neck beard warrior…

SirTerry-T

sonic frontiers is an actual video game with combat, exploration, 3D graphics and gameplay
this is literally a point and click adventure game with flash graphics released on gamepass. it's rated higher somehow. MS/Obsidian has to be doing some serious moneyhatting here
Young man, define gameplay for me.

Ansphn

This is an interesting discussion for sure. As I feel that the Playstation games do NOT revolve around me. I like many of them but not all and for sure not their normal status of 3rd person action games constantly. But I see this popping up alot. Nintendo fans as well and their like/dislike of the Switch. VR too but in a more condensed worldview obviously
Whats kind of games do you like? I think it comes down to preference. Xbox used to be the home of the best FPS and is trying to be the place for Wrpg but right now they are failing miserably but who knows what the future holds. I'm not against getting a Series X in the future for dirt cheap if they finally release some AAA games.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
How am i console warring. Leave your personal hate against me because i speak the truth at the door.

Don't know who you're trying to kid when you're posting shit like this:

Still having an Xbox over the PS5 is not a good choice and games like this make me feel pity for Xbox owners who have no choice but to keep the system due to circumstances.

This goes beyond personal opinions and you're shitting on a bunch of people just because. It's not only out of line but this also isn't the place for it when it's in a review thread for what is evidently a very well crafted game. Personal opinion aside, stuff like this should be celebrated as it means more good games available for everyone.

Don't know what you're trying to achieve here.

Last edited:

nowhat

Screw subbing monthly just get 3 years of Turkish gold for like €80 and convert it to Game Pass.
I'll consider that option if/when I take the leap to the realm of green rats. This game (or Scorn, or what have you on GP currently, be it timed exclusive or not) doesn't quite push me over the edge yet. Starfield might - but also might not, I will wait for the reviews first this time around (you had your chances Todd, but fool me umpteenth time to buy another Skyrim re-release and this time I'm not falling for it. Maybe.)

Ansphn

Don't know who you're trying to kid when you're posting shit like this:

This goes beyond personal opinions and you're shitting on a bunch of people just because. It's not only out of line but this also isn't the place for it when it's in a review thread for what is evidently a very well crafted game. Personal opinion aside, stuff like this should be celebrated as it means more good games available for everyone.

Don't know what you're trying to achieve here.
In what way? You just have a bias hate against me because I'm speaking the truth. Right now, a PC can play everything an Xbox can + play some PlayStation exclusives + everything a PC can do. PlayStation is the only console in the business pushing gaming with big budget AAA. Games like Pentament and As dusk falls can be played on a web browser and smartphone. Why spend $500? Stop the hate because my eyes are wide open and you're still stuck in Phil Spencer's matrix.

SirTerry-T

I think the problem here is that you're a bit of a shallow little tinker.

Do you only watch blockbuster movies on your fancy televisions?

Or...have you ever watched one of those old black and white films when you have been feeling particularly adventurous.

Last edited:

Ansphn

I think the problem here is that your a bit of a shallow little tinker.

Do you only watch blockbuster movies on your fancy televisions?

Oe...have you ever watched one of those old black and white films when you have been feeling particularly adventurous.
Just to let you know, PlayStation also have A and AA games too. The thing is it also has a whole lot of AAA big budget games.

damidu

cool reviews, game sounds just for me as well.
loving the price too, might end up buying regardless of gamepass.

Banjo64

cumsessed
But CatLady, have you not heard about AAAA games like Forspoken?
I'll consider that option if/when I take the leap to the realm of green rats. This game (or Scorn, or what have you on GP currently, be it timed exclusive or not) doesn't quite push me over the edge yet. Starfield might - but also might not, I will wait for the reviews first this time around (you had your chances Todd, but fool me umpteenth time to buy another Skyrim re-release and this time I'm not falling for it. Maybe.)
I’ve not played a single first party Xbox game this year but I’ve still had Tunic, Tinykin and Requiem and next year Wo Long and Silksong will be on Game Pass too. Not trying to be a Game Pass preacher but yeah, still a no brainier IMO.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
In what way? You just have a bias hate against me because I'm speaking the truth. Right now, a PC can play everything an Xbox can + play some PlayStation exclusives + everything a PC can do. PlayStation is the only console in the business pushing gaming with big budget AAA. Games like Pentament and As dusk falls can be played on a web browser and smartphone. Why spend $500? Stop the hate because my eyes are wide open and you're still stuck in Phil Spencer's matrix.

You're beyond hope. Get in the bin along with all the other clowns. The only 2 platforms I game on are PC and the PS5.

Green rats I tried but apparently Phil has me trapped in his matrix.

drowning help me GIF

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Gamespot is against people drinking man-juice.

Each game should be rated by how well it executes its own goals. There is so much more than just traditional gameplay or graphics. If some guy in Moldavia makes a black and white game about a pixelated ass farting on everything and somehow makes it addictive, timely, original or memorable, he deserves a 90 metascore, goddamit.

And you seem to have already set your mind on the fact that Pentiment doesn't have any real gameplay in it, yet by reading the reviews it seems we have been given so many options on how to progress in the game, unfold the story and so on.

No lie, I'd play the shit outta this game.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Why are you trying to get me banned? People keep responding to me and asking me questions. I have not attacked anybody and already explained my position. How am i console warring. Leave your personal hate against me because i speak the truth at the door.
dude the game isn't for you and that's fine, just stop posting in here because you are derailing the thread

it doesn't matter if people are responding to you and asking questions, just stop posting or you're going to get yourself banned

plz-stop-post.jpg

Maybe you want to play pentiment and play cod after? Games exist outside of exclusives. Games exist outside of exclusives. One more time. Games exist outside of exclusives.

Top Bottom