• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pentiment - Reviews Thread

Karak

Whats kind of games do you like? I think it comes down to preference. Xbox used to be the home of the best FPS and is trying to be the place for Wrpg but right now they are failing miserably but who knows what the future holds. I'm not against getting a Series X in the future for dirt cheap if they finally release some AAA games.
All games. But like anything else too much of one thing can make interest lax. For example Xbox/pc is where the best racers are to me. So thats one huge bonus. Where Spiderman is on Playstation and now PC which is also a blast.

Topher

Gold Member
Some serious children with issues that people have different tastes and enjoy different things.

Basically....

stop_liking.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
its not just graphics Sonic Frontiers gameplay is actually existent. Whether or not it's good it certainly has more engagement than this. There's more to do in that game than in Pentiment. By all accounts Pentiment should have a way lower score, it's a niche genre and it shouldn't really sit well with reviewers. Yet it does shit like this. You can't convince me this isn't moneyhatting

Tell me you don’t know about Obsidian’s pedigree without telling me you don’t know about Obsidian’s pedigree.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You do know the relation video game "journalists" have with challenge, right?
Hahaha.
I forgot journos want everything handed to them.

He even complains that he cant talk to every single character in the game because when you talk to people time moves forward, so you only have a certain number of hours to spend on doing stuff.

Ohh god I have to choose how to spend my currency(time)...and after I spend that currency it goes down.......6/10.

graywolf323

Gold Member
It's the same for me, but I do love Obsidian and their writing, the scores are certainly encouraging and most important someone mentioned you can pet cats. Since it's on Game Pass it's at least worth giving it a shot.
I would think any game where you can pet cats would be an automatic 10/10 for you :messenger_winking_tongue:

Since we are discussing niche games, Donut County (also on GamePass) is still one of the best games ever made. It takes special kind of genius to make the concept fun to play. Try it
I still need to play it. I only know about it because the main guy behind it just made Neon White, which is fantastic. His last game prior to Neon White was Donut County.

Karak

Hahaha.

He even complains that he cant talk to every single character in the game because when you talk to people time moves forward, so you only have a certain number of hours to spend on doing stuff.

Ohh god I have to choose how to spend my currency(time)...and after I spend that currency it goes down.......6/10.
Hmm that is an odd thought process as it makes it clear time passes so you will be forced. But I do feel like many of us should be familiar with these things. We have seen a lot of games going more towards the "1 play can hit everything" Of course, some developers aim for EXACTLY the opposite. But I would have to watch/read that review because if you add in the super duper slow starting, with many other things, it could be more along the line of a person feeling that the time wasted would have made the game better if it was actually engaging with the central story.
Context of course is the most important part in any review. Even if my score is well off someones(this one seems actually to be closer but the game just wasn't my thing), as long as true concrete context is there then I find it pretty valid

Karak

Since we are discussing niche games, Donut County (also on GamePass) is still one of the best games ever made. It takes special kind of genius to make the concept fun to play. Try itYUP
Since we are discussing niche games, Donut County (also on GamePass) is still one of the best games ever made. It takes special kind of genius to make the concept fun to play. Try it
YUP despite the control issues on Switch. Donut County is incredible. We had the sound guy and developer on for a podcast. That game never caught on but my god it was pure fun to me

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
if any xbox 2022 game is deserving of an 85 it should be Scorn... yet that's rated lower than this.
plague tale requirem is rated lower, so is TMNT cowabunga collection and No more Heroes 3..... WTF????

Just curious if you also had a meltdown over disco elysium metacritic scores

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
v1c4KIn.png

Karak Karak First I was thinking you make fun of my shilling here, but then I don't have a podcast slavic accent is a bitch, so it's all good : D

Whats kind of games do you like? I think it comes down to preference. Xbox used to be the home of the best FPS and is trying to be the place for Wrpg but right now they are failing miserably but who knows what the future holds. I'm not against getting a Series X in the future for dirt cheap if they finally release some AAA games.
Even though I gave you some stick in a previous reply, I can agree with this to some extent. Xbox haven’t released a must play game for me personally this year. Halo Infinite single player was great but if it wasn’t for that then I’d say that it has been years since I’ve been genuinely excited for an Xbox first party game.

Indies are great, yes, but they lack the excitement that comes with a first party AAA release. Something that shows what the system is capable of and gets people hyped up.

Ozriel

M$FT
You're beyond hope. Get in the bin along with all the other clowns. The only 2 platforms I game on are PC and the PS5.

Green rats I tried but apparently Phil has me trapped in his matrix.

drowning help me GIF

You tried, not gonna lie.
Once in a while, you come across the ones that are beyond redemption :)

Fabieter

Still playing god of war. Doubt that I finish that before calisto and crysis core, but definitely pick this up down the line on steam.

Hahaha.

I would install a trainer to give me unlimited time. Never understood why people complain about difficulty. Just fucking cheat. Problem solved.

Kimahri

Banned
Hahaha.

Eyy! don't lump all of us into the same sinking ship.

In all seriousness though, time management and the fear of chasing a dead lead is one of the great parts of this game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Tell that to the people who complain about "no gameplay" in other games then turn around and praise a picture book.
Part of the fun is the fact you have to manage time.
But you could totally cheese you way through, though it will probably detract from your enjoyment of the game.
Eyy! don't lump all of us into the same sinking ship.

In all seriousness though, time management and the fear of chasing a dead lead is one of the great parts of this game.
Not all Journos amarite.

But yeah the time management factor is part of what makes things interesting, I dont know why someone would dock the game for that.
It would be like complaining you cant upgrade all your weapons/characters to max on a single playthrough in game X because there is a limited amount of upgrade points or something.

Thats part of the gameplay, its part of what makes that playthrough unique and boon not a negative.

Top Bottom