• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are wrong about Don Mattricks handling of the Xbox One compared to Phil Spencer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie666

The real Don died with Distinctive Software and Accolade.

I'm not sure the direction under Xbox was Don's fault, he didn't seem to have the support Phil seems to have. Don worked with what he was told to work with. It's like what power did Reggie and Nintendo of America actually have situation, none.

#NFL TV BOX.

feynoob

Banned
I know his video of saying go buy a 360 if you don't have internet is meme worthy but in reality he was just being honest. What does PD say to GT7 players when they don't have an online connection...yeah we got a huge game but all you can play is one track and a music rally. If you don't have internet its like you are playing something that would not even be considered a demo back in the day, less so. I mean, what did people expect him to answer....errrr well if you don't have internet, we will make a special edition just for you?
Its an insult to consumers to say that, and PR disaster. It can damage your company's reputation if you do that. Its why PR exist for this type of issue.

bender

What time is it?
Don Mattrick nearly destroyed Xbox as a brand and MS has paid nearly 80 billion dollars to try and fix it.

Nothing worth having comes easy. Don was just trying to teach us all that valuable lesson. And doesn't that make his time at Microsoft an unequivocal success?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I know his video of saying go buy a 360 if you don't have internet is meme worthy but in reality he was just being honest. What does PD say to GT7 players when they don't have an online connection...yeah we got a huge game but all you can play is one track and a music rally. If you don't have internet its like you are playing something that would not even be considered a demo back in the day, less so. I mean, what did people expect him to answer....errrr well if you don't have internet, we will make a special edition just for you?
That's one game though, always-online for the whole console is insane

bender

What time is it?
Somewhere Don is looking down at Phil. If you listen closely you can hear “good job pal, good job”.

Phil looking at Don much like Cerny looking at Kutaragi:

old-yeller.gif

Hugare

With Mattrick we got: Gears trilogy, Alan Wake, Mass Effect trilogy, Bungie Halos, 2 atomic bombs at E3 with Final Fantasy and Metal Gear coming to Xbox and more

With Phil we got Game Pass and promisses

So one thing I know for certain: I was much more excited having an Xbox console back then than I am now

Topher

Gold Member
With Mattrick we got: Gears trilogy, Alan Wake, Mass Effect trilogy, Bungie Halos, 2 atomic bombs at E3 with Final Fantasy and Metal Gear coming to Xbox and more

Don Mattrick didn't join Xbox until 2007. Peter Moore had more to do with most of those games than Don Mattrick. Actually, I don't he had much to do with any of it except perhaps Alan Wake.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

With Phil we got Game Pass and promisses

So one thing I know for certain: I was much more excited having an Xbox console back then than I am now

Gears, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Bungies games were all announced or released before Mattrick ever joined Xbox ..

He took over the position Peter Moore left as Topher mentioned above.

His biggest unique contribution to Xbox was spearheading the Kinect initiative, and we all know how that turned out.

Robb

Gold Member
Nah. Say what you will about Phil Spencer, but Don Mattrick was 100 times worse. Xbox wasn’t even a blip on my radar when he was in charge.

It’s honestly surprising to me that Phil even managed to turn that shitshow around and was able to convince the higher ups to spend billions more on acquisitions.

Its an insult to consumers to say that, and PR disaster. It can damage your company's reputation if you do that. Its why PR exist for this type of issue.
Ok, so what was he supposed to say, that what Im asking. How does he sugar coat you can't play a damn game without the internet? What diplomatic response would you give in his case besides saying its no shit a bad PR move. Tell me, what do you answer live on TV, on the spot when someone asks what if they don't have internet, what then? You probably can't come up with any logical response, which is why I said the dude was just being honest and asked on the spot and had to give an answer in 3 seconds.

MadPanda

Banned
Almost everything, or absolutely everything you you scrutinize Phil for is because of Don.

Because Don made colossal mistakes regarding the vision and aims of xbox one, that console tanked and Microsoft almost decided to close the division altogether. That's why they closed all those studios because xbox one wasn't performing even after they ditched kinect and lowered the price to 399. They couldn't change the fact that PS4 had 50% more tflops.

What Phil achieved and what is his biggest accomplishment is changing the perception of Xbox inside the company. See, under Don and in the first years of Phil's time Xbox was under the windows division and Terry Meyerson was above them and he just didn't see Xbox as something worth investing in due to poor performance.

So when Phil was requested by Satya to explain why should they stay in gaming business he managed to convince him. That's how you got to today's stage where Microsoft is investing 69b to buy ABK. At that time, Satya was restructuring the company, he closed down Nokia which they bought a year or two earlier and Microsoft's mobile division altogether and Xbox was on the same trajectory.

I think you're objectively wrong as history proves what you say isn't true at all. Surely, Don probably did some good things and Phil bad but they're far from each other.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Don Mattrick went all in with fucking Kinect and overpriced an underpowered Xbox One for $500, had a horrible reveal with TV, TV, TV and then left in July 2013 because he knew he fucked up big time and any quality games he may have signed meant nothing because outside of the hardcore fans, nobody gave a fuck. Thank God he's long gone and Thank God Myerson got his ass kicked out in 2017.

Fucking guys almost killed off Xbox and yet, people think they were good. Yeah, good for the competition. SMH. Good riddance. Hope they never ever come back.

Xbox as a whole has been pretty lackluster since 2013 tbh and this is coming from someone who’s main console is Xbox.

This is why you can’t have all your eggs in one basket in gaming anymore as a gamer. There’s so much shit to play on all three consoles it’s crazy at the end of the day.

Phil seems like a good personable guy but I really liked the Xbox One's 1st 2 years so I give Don the W lol
Ill also give him the W, Xbox actually had interesting games back then. Whoever created that UI, is the real reason of its failure. Worse fucking UI of all time. Steve Jobs died twice when it was revealed. So he died 3 times in total.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Lol, no. Mattrick nearly killed Xbox before jumping ship to mobile gaming. That's not even an opinion - that's an objective, on-the-record fact. Mattrick also never cared for Xbox from its inception - and again, that's not an opinon, that's a fact.

Mattrick inherited the Xbox 360, coasted on its success, and turned Microsoft's first party line up into an endless stream of "Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza". Everything was killed. Kinect was all him - so, props there for that success - but also: Kinect was all him, and Kinect was fucking terrible. Mattrick took the brand that gave Sony a run for its money and drove it so far into the ground that Microsoft considered getting out of gaming altogether. The echoes of the Mattrick era are still present in Xbox today, who are still trying to get their first parties back on track.

Spencer inherited the Xbone, the decimated first party line up, and the brand at its lowest point. He did his best to keep Xbox on life support. By the end of the generation, things were definitely looking brighter, but it was clear that Microsoft kept gaming at arm's length for the Xbone generation. Now, it's all in. And that's all Spencer.
My man spitting truths here. I owned an Xbox 360 before I had a PS3. The lineup was incredible in the early days while everyone was trying to figure out how the hell the over-engineered PS3 worked. There were more JRPGs on Xbox 360 in the early years, it was wild. Gears of War at launch was THE game to play.

Then there was this sudden shift to Kinect and I bought one to mess with some games. I had fun with Dance Central and Child of Eden, but then the upcoming Xbox One made Kinect mandatory and it was just weird. Coupled with the shuttering of numerous studios, you could tell the company was going in the wrong direction and I ditched the Xbox brand. They broke trust, and when they looked into selling the brand to Amazon at one point, it told me that gaming wasn’t considered integral to Microsoft’s success.

Leadership has shifted heavily since then, but Xbox Series X is still not a must have for me despite Phil’s efforts. I want to play Starfield, but I won’t buy a console for one game. The next Fable? Who knows when that’s coming.

I know Phil Spencer is righting the ship, but it takes a lot more effort to build back what Mattrick destroyed. I won’t buy an Xbox anytime soon, but that’s because of Mattrick’s legacy. He fucked the Xbox brand badly, the effects lingering across shy of three console generations.

UnNamed

Banned
Don Mattricks had a huge impact because of his work on musics in videogames in the '80.

That's why in this industry everybody know him as Don Mattricks with Stereo Sound.

tommib

Whenever there is a negative Xbox related thread on here (and they are daily pretty much), the vast majority of them are started by Eddie.
It’s hard to take his viewpoint seriously to be honest.
To be fair, he stirs the pot for both camps. They’re always some hot take thread. It’s like we have our own oficial clickbaiter.

Ozzie666

To be fair, he stirs the pot for both camps. They’re always some hot take thread. It’s like we have our own oficial clickbaiter.

to be fair, he is an equal opportunistic against all sides. He's the guy who tosses the grenade and watches the chaos and everything burn. Laughing all the way.

Last edited:

Banned
japanese exclusive Chaos Child

Chaos;Child was not a deal or anything. the creator of the "Science Adventure" series, that also includes Steins;Gate, is a huuuuge Microsoft fanboy.

back in the day every single game of that team was an Xbox and Windows exclusive for at least a few years. they later got ports to other systems but originally they were all exclusively developed for Microsoft products only.

the Xbox 360 back in that time also was like the Japanese indy game box, with many exclusive games releasing on Xbox 360 first or only on it. many japanese Shmups were PC and 360 only.

and this at first somewhat carried over to the Xbox One, but to a much lesser degree.

Godot25

Banned
I noticed a lot of people are rewriting the Xbox One so that it seems Donny Matt is some kind of monster and didn't do a good job on the Xbox One. As the guy who did good in later part of the 360, only slowly letting things get out of hand with the rise of Kinect's success (also him) but still releasing some good games, he did a great job with the games and deals he set up for the Xbox One. it wouldn't be until mid 2015 where we started seeing what Phil would do and I think we need to compare the two for how they handled the Xbox One given that the biggest problem people had was the pre-release policies which were almost all turned around before launch (and ironically several of those policies people don't mind now) and the bad messaging from guys Larry hyrb under his watch. But otherwise he had a good game plan.

Don Mattrick

1. Saw the launch of Xbox one joining sony in breaking the record of 1 million consoles sold in the first 24 hours

2. His team led to the first 15 million units of sales which others coming in during the restructuring failed to do, so of the ~50 million Xbox One sales the first 15 million were in just a bit over 1 year, a massive chunk, before the decline then the static yearly sales until 2020.

3. Killer Instinct reboot, japanese exclusive Chaos Child, Titanfall deal, Fable Legends, Scalebound deal, Quantum Break contract, Crackdown 3, Forza 5, Ryse deal, Dead Rising 3 deal, Fighters within, Lococycle, power star golf, Xbox Fitness, Max curse of brotherhood, Halo Spartan assault, Zoo tycoon. all ready and in place before the end of 2013 in the launch window.

4. Had already got the deal going for Titanfall, Kinect sports rivals, got dev for Gears remake started, had already had 343i on the Halo MCC, had the Tomb Raider and Evolve(for 2015) deals ready, Got Dance Central spotlight ready, D4 Deal, Starpoint gemini indie deal, had Forza Horizon 2 ready, greenlit the Project Spark project, got the deal for Fantasia music evolved, partnered for Kalimba and ubisofts Shape up. These all were released in 2014

Phil Spencer

1. Screamride. Made the deal for Sunset overdrive when Insomniac needed a pub. Cancelled Scalebound, Cancelled Fable Legends, delayed Crackdown 3, delayed Quantum Break, did a bad job controlling issues with Halo MCC at launch. Oversaw Halo 5 disappointment. Ori and the Blind Forest, Fruit Ninja Kinect, then went on to move support away from Kinect, and got developers to as well resulting in Kinect being dead. Closed several studios without replacing them with anything, put Xbox at the lowest studio count in the history of the brand by late year. State of decay, happy wars. Rare Replay. Forza 6,

2. In 2016, finally releases Don signed Quantum Break after long delays, Raiden V, Recore, Forza Horizon 3, releases don signed Gears 4, , new hardware revision, Xbox One S.

3. In 2017, Project Scorpio Xbox One X revision, halo wars 2, Halo wars definitive, Forza 7, BC, Gamepass, Voodoo Vince remastered timed, Cuphead deal indie, rereleasing Don Kinect Disney games but for controller only to pad out the lineup, Super luckys tale (console launch exclusive for One X), Hello neighbor (console launch exclusive), Pubg timed, acquisitions storm starts.

<>
Phil had cut off many good staff and closed studios and reduced the amount of studios under Microsoft to the lowest point (5 or so studios, 3-4 AAA) with cancellations, delays even with other games I haven't listed as there's several, while seeing a decline in top franchises, and for those games he didn't cancel he didn't over see them resulting in ok or mediocre releases, bad timed deals except for a few that didn't do much of anything, the death of Kinect burning those players, rereleasing Kinect games from the 360 with the 3 Disney games to pad out a bad lineup, and going on an acquisition spree.

I'm not saying Phil didn't turn things around because his hardware and services strategy did put the Series consoles in their current positions as the fastest selling consoles for the brand so far, BUT it's also this focus on hardware and surfaces that he put over the games leading to the acquisitions as he cut the meat without replacing what was in the refrigerator so to speak, leading him in a corner where he NEEDED to buy studios because there he wasted too much time on hardware and services. We still see the impact of this now.

Hopefully that will change in 2023, but it's clear there was a clear different in strategy and gaming appeal between launch of Xbox One to mid-2015, and mid-2015 onward. They aren't even close. I still remember some people complain that the PS4 didn't have games in the first 1.5 years on the market, and how much Killzone was written off as a demo and Knack was run over and over again as a joke, while Xbox stacked the launch months going into 2014, and then still had goodies for that year.

Some later stuff Phil delayed was from Don too. When you look at the whole picture, Phils biggest contributions outside a few good titles was One S, One X revisions, and BC+Gamepass.

Now that since a few years ago Phil got Nadella to give him more access to cash for supporting studios, it's not time for Phil to finally surpass Mattrick in GAMEs too as well as the other areas. I personally will not give him another year, although i don't expect more delays i will say in the rare chance it happens...no.
Yeah. That's some rose - tinted glass bullshit

Yes, Xbox One had a record breaking launch. But tbh you would have record breaking launch with almost any console these days. People back then were hungry for new hardware after prolonged generation of X360/PS3. Problem with Xbox One was not initial sales, but sales after few months on the market. You realize, that Microsoft had to make Kinect-less bundle (Kinect was main Mattrick push) and even then bundle some games to get Xbox One off the shelves after first half year on market? That's not great...

I agree that launch lineup was better. But thing is that it had to be better since Xbox One had no backwards compatibility. So if there was not Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza 5 etc. you would literally had no games to play. Also it's really strange to compare both launches since today we are deep into "live service" stuff which does not require 20 new games at launch of consoles since many people are sticking with "their" games.

Funny that you attributed launch lineup to Mattrick, when Spencer was head of Microsoft Studios back then...

Problem with Mattrick was that he gutted Microsoft Studios, made several studios work on Kinect games, tarnished brand with bad product vision and he was not able to convince Microsoft CEO to get behind gaming. But the thing is...it's because of Spencer was able to convince Nadella, that Xbox is still here and there are huge investments into Xbox brand. Mattrick did not do it. And also, we can all agree that first two years of Spencer's reign was just to mop up Mattrick's bullshit.

Do you realize, that before Spencer, Xbox had 5 bigger-ish internal studios? (343, The Coalition, Turn 10, Lionhead, Rare)? That's on Mattrick. I think it is fair to criticize Spencer for fact that he did not invest in expansion of first-party sooner (if he was able to do it in 2016, games would be already here), but also fair thing to say is that many of those "new" studios had contractual obligation (The Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3 etc.).

So yeah. It's not like we are now in ideal situation. But Mattrick was absolutely wrong with his decisions around product focus and his inability to have great first party offering. But that shit just takes too much time to correct. Don't forget that it took Sony several years to get their first-party in top-tier shape. It was not done overnight. But I take it as it is. 2022 was probably worst Xbox year in terms of first-party (maybe 2017 was worse), but the fact is that we won't see that kind of bad performance again. We have 6 first-party games already announced just for first half of 2023 (8 if you counts Age of Empires console ports). And I'm sure that another 1-2 games will be announced for second half (Hellblade 2? Belfry?)

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

lets not forget this one too.

And yet a few years later without internet connection it’s impossible to play or your experience is severely diminished due to lack of Day 1 patches, etc.

I might write a more detailed response later but in short: people do not give Don enough credit. The problem was Microsoft was going too fast - they only had one successful console before (X360) and didn’t anticipate that paradigm shift to connected services and TV will take a few more years than expected.

BabyYoda

Banned
The last third of the 360's life cycle was horrible, they really dropped the ball there and that was also Don's fault you say, wow...I never bought an Xbox One (any version) cos of that ass hat.

Godot25

Banned
The last third of the 360's life cycle was horrible, they really dropped the ball there and that was also Don's fault you say, wow...I never bought an Xbox One (any version) cos of that ass hat.
Yup. That's what OP (and other people who are trying to defend Mattrick) conveniently ignore. Xbox 360 was juggernaut that was built by Peter Moore and co. Then Mattrick came and console floundered.

If OP's argument was that Moore was better then Spencer, then absolutely. Moore secured exclusives for games like Mass Effect, BioShock, timed exclusivity on GTA IV DLC's and attach GTA to Xbox platform (Same for COD), Gears of War, they went after Japanese creators. And stuff that came out in 2008+ can be directly tied to Moore. Then Mattrick came and Kinect came...and everything went to shit.

Last edited:

Mess

Both have been terrible at their jobs but at least PC is being handled way better now so I'd vote Phil (although I suspect that comes from Nadella's overall strategy more than anything)...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I agree. Don was great. I owned an Xbox 360 (which I still have) because, at that time, Xbox had many awesome games that if you didn't play, you'd feel you missed out.

Now, under Phil, Xbox isn't a "mandatory" console to have. It's more of a convenience thing.
  • You prefer Gamepass? Buy an Xbox (or ... not and just get the PC gamepass)
  • You want to save money in the short term? Buy a Series S (or ... buy a Steam Deck)
That wasn't the case with Don. It wasn't just a matter of convenience or having an Xbox as an additional option.

If you didn't own an Xbox back then, you'd miss out on Halo/Gears (on their peak) and other games like Mass Effect, Ace Combat 6, Battlefield 2, Call of Juarez, Command & Conquer, Witcher 2, Ninja Gaiden, GTA IV DLCs, Bioshock.

Just look at those names!

Ozriel

M$FT
I agree. Don was great. I owned an Xbox 360 (which I still have) because, at that time, Xbox had many awesome games that if you didn't play, you'd feel you missed out.

Now, under Phil, Xbox isn't a "mandatory" console to have. It's more of a convenience thing.
  • You prefer Gamepass? Buy an Xbox (or ... not and just get the PC gamepass)
  • You want to save money in the short term? Buy a Series S (or ... buy a Steam Deck)
That wasn't the case with Don. It wasn't just a matter of convenience or having an Xbox as an additional option.

If you didn't own an Xbox back then, you'd miss out on Halo/Gears (on their peak) and other games like Mass Effect, Ace Combat 6, Battlefield 2, Call of Juarez, Command & Conquer, Witcher 2, Ninja Gaiden, GTA IV DLCs, Bioshock.

Just look at those names!

“Xbox was great when they didn’t give the consumers options”!

Ozriel

M$FT
Not sure how anyone can say Don Mattrick was better.
Who cares about launch games lineup? You buy consoles for a generation. Don Mattrick screwed up the entirely Xbox One generation.

Phil’s brought Gamepass, brought multiple options to play Xbox Games and successfully negotiated much better funding and emphasis on gaming from MS, leading to a significant expansion in first party capability which should bear significant fruit in games this gen.

Ozriel

M$FT
Congrats on spending 80 billion, really difficult, lots of hard work there.

25 first party studios BEFORE Activision. So no, not $80 billion. Not even close.

The hard work was convincing Nadella and the Microsoft board to invest heavily in Xbox. Taking gaming from a side venture to a key pillar at Xbox, with Spencer reporting directly to Nadella and sitting at the Executive table.

you imagining Phil reached under his couch for billions of dollars is hilarious.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
“Xbox was great when they didn’t give the consumers options”!
Xbox was great because it offered something unique in the console space and of the highest quality.

What do you think Phil is doing? Buying Bethesda, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, and not releasing those games on PlayStation and locking them as Xbox exclusives. Does that add options for consumers?

They both haven’t done much for Xbox IMO, Xbox one was a mess under Don and Phil still haven’t created and cultivated any original new IP for Xbox since his time with Xbox.

Xbox essentially has the same problem today that it had under Don which is the lack of quality games that shape Xbox’s identity compared to the other two competing companies.

I don’t think Don or Phil is to blame, it’s most likely the higher ups that probably has made things difficult for both.

Don = “Let’s turn Xbox into the new cable box with a camera!”

Phil = “Let’s turn the Xbox brand into the Netflix of gaming!”

Both these philosophies don’t actually improve the gaming experience which is why they continue to struggle, they have not firgured out that they need to focus on improving the gaming experience. A Series S doesn’t do that, Game pass don’t do that, Being able to play Xbox games through a Samsung TV doesn’t do that.

You have to build a solid foundation before trying to expand the reach to more “potential players “ and I think this is Xbox’s issue currently. Hence, why they have to cut prices on consoles that come out 2 years ago while competitors continue to charge more and actually make sales.

Last edited:

Three

He's a scapegoat and just wasn’t good at PR. His output on console launch was ten times better than Phil's.

ComboBongo

Neo Member
I noticed a lot of people are rewriting the Xbox One so that it seems Donny Matt is some kind of monster and didn't do a good job on the Xbox One. As the guy who did good in later part of the 360, only slowly letting things get out of hand with the rise of Kinect's success (also him) but still releasing some good games, he did a great job with the games and deals he set up for the Xbox One. it wouldn't be until mid 2015 where we started seeing what Phil would do and I think we need to compare the two for how they handled the Xbox One given that the biggest problem people had was the pre-release policies which were almost all turned around before launch (and ironically several of those policies people don't mind now) and the bad messaging from guys Larry hyrb under his watch. But otherwise he had a good game plan.

Don Mattrick

1. Saw the launch of Xbox one joining sony in breaking the record of 1 million consoles sold in the first 24 hours

2. His team led to the first 15 million units of sales which others coming in during the restructuring failed to do, so of the ~50 million Xbox One sales the first 15 million were in just a bit over 1 year, a massive chunk, before the decline then the static yearly sales until 2020.

3. Killer Instinct reboot, japanese exclusive Chaos Child, Titanfall deal, Fable Legends, Scalebound deal, Quantum Break contract, Crackdown 3, Forza 5, Ryse deal, Dead Rising 3 deal, Fighters within, Lococycle, power star golf, Xbox Fitness, Max curse of brotherhood, Halo Spartan assault, Zoo tycoon. all ready and in place before the end of 2013 in the launch window.

4. Had already got the deal going for Titanfall, Kinect sports rivals, got dev for Gears remake started, had already had 343i on the Halo MCC, had the Tomb Raider and Evolve(for 2015) deals ready, Got Dance Central spotlight ready, D4 Deal, Starpoint gemini indie deal, had Forza Horizon 2 ready, greenlit the Project Spark project, got the deal for Fantasia music evolved, partnered for Kalimba and ubisofts Shape up. These all were released in 2014

Phil Spencer

1. Screamride. Made the deal for Sunset overdrive when Insomniac needed a pub. Cancelled Scalebound, Cancelled Fable Legends, delayed Crackdown 3, delayed Quantum Break, did a bad job controlling issues with Halo MCC at launch. Oversaw Halo 5 disappointment. Ori and the Blind Forest, Fruit Ninja Kinect, then went on to move support away from Kinect, and got developers to as well resulting in Kinect being dead. Closed several studios without replacing them with anything, put Xbox at the lowest studio count in the history of the brand by late year. State of decay, happy wars. Rare Replay. Forza 6,

2. In 2016, finally releases Don signed Quantum Break after long delays, Raiden V, Recore, Forza Horizon 3, releases don signed Gears 4, , new hardware revision, Xbox One S.

3. In 2017, Project Scorpio Xbox One X revision, halo wars 2, Halo wars definitive, Forza 7, BC, Gamepass, Voodoo Vince remastered timed, Cuphead deal indie, rereleasing Don Kinect Disney games but for controller only to pad out the lineup, Super luckys tale (console launch exclusive for One X), Hello neighbor (console launch exclusive), Pubg timed, acquisitions storm starts.

<>
Phil had cut off many good staff and closed studios and reduced the amount of studios under Microsoft to the lowest point (5 or so studios, 3-4 AAA) with cancellations, delays even with other games I haven't listed as there's several, while seeing a decline in top franchises, and for those games he didn't cancel he didn't over see them resulting in ok or mediocre releases, bad timed deals except for a few that didn't do much of anything, the death of Kinect burning those players, rereleasing Kinect games from the 360 with the 3 Disney games to pad out a bad lineup, and going on an acquisition spree.

I'm not saying Phil didn't turn things around because his hardware and services strategy did put the Series consoles in their current positions as the fastest selling consoles for the brand so far, BUT it's also this focus on hardware and surfaces that he put over the games leading to the acquisitions as he cut the meat without replacing what was in the refrigerator so to speak, leading him in a corner where he NEEDED to buy studios because there he wasted too much time on hardware and services. We still see the impact of this now.

Hopefully that will change in 2023, but it's clear there was a clear different in strategy and gaming appeal between launch of Xbox One to mid-2015, and mid-2015 onward. They aren't even close. I still remember some people complain that the PS4 didn't have games in the first 1.5 years on the market, and how much Killzone was written off as a demo and Knack was run over and over again as a joke, while Xbox stacked the launch months going into 2014, and then still had goodies for that year.

Some later stuff Phil delayed was from Don too. When you look at the whole picture, Phils biggest contributions outside a few good titles was One S, One X revisions, and BC+Gamepass.

Now that since a few years ago Phil got Nadella to give him more access to cash for supporting studios, it's not time for Phil to finally surpass Mattrick in GAMEs too as well as the other areas. I personally will not give him another year, although i don't expect more delays i will say in the rare chance it happens...no.
Phil was the head of Microsoft studios from 2009-2013...... he was responsible for signing those deals prior to the Xbox One launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom