• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People have started Comparing No Man's Sky with Starfield

Is Starfield, No Man's Sky 2.0?

• Yes

Votes: 192 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 12.4%
  • Starfield Looks Better

Votes: 128 26.0%
  • Twitter & IGN are crazy. These are two completely different games.

Votes: 111 22.6%

• Total voters

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
lol at people taking seriously at the NMS comparison.
Come on we are all adults here.

GymWolf

The 1000 planets thing sound like it.

Not sure why people is excited for that since they are probably gonna be 20 planets with actual handmade content and 980 planets with ia/random generated crap.

Don't get me wrong i like gigantic games, but people were tired of Ac bloating but they are happy for even more bloating?

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Starfield is going to look better purely because it's not the same sort of game as no mans sky

In no mans sky you can seamlessly travel from planet to planet

In starfield you are limited to a menu where you select your landing zone from, and then you watch a cutscene of your ship landing

Comparing the two is like saying mass effect and elite dangerous are the same type of game, which is complete bs

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If you didn't immediately say "No Man's Skyrim" out loud as if you were the only genius to think of it, you missed a trick.

BigBooper

No. That's silly. Show me a city in No Man's Sky. Show me a quest chain. Dialogue options.

The rest we don't know. Whether the other planets have any worthwhile reasons to visit. Whether there's survival mechanics.

It's No Man's Sky 2 in the same way that Astroneer is Kerbal Space Program 2.

Katajx

Gold Member
Starfield is going to look better purely because it's not the same sort of game as no mans sky

In no mans sky you can seamlessly travel from planet to planet

In starfield you are limited to a menu where you select your landing zone from, and then you watch a cutscene of your ship landing

Comparing the two is like saying mass effect and elite dangerous are the same type of game, which is complete bs
Hey, thank you for this! I forgot Mass Effect was a thing. I feel like I need to try more sci fi games.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Graphically no. Mechanically… yep, there are some similarities there, alright.

Starfield clearly has a far more expanded story and characters though.

PaintTinJr

For now i think Starfield looks better since it also contains loads of handcrafted stuff as well as stronger rpg elements.
However, we can't say much atm since not that much is known about how this game plays yet.
I might be wrong - as I'm only going by what I read in the comments, as haven't had time to watch the video without a quick scan - but the most difficult part of such a game to convince the audience they are in this universe is the leaving and entering orbit, and even the ~6year old launch day version of No Man's Sky completely nails the X-wing Dagobah entry and take off IMO. And from the comments Starfield doesn't let you control the landing part at all.

Here's the thing...in a parallel universe if the Starfield Bethesda staff all decided to join Hello games, today, in 12month's time which game would be able to deliver on the shared vision better? Hello game's bespoke in-house engine would probably be easier to visually enhance and probably still run at a full 60fps on Series or PlayStation IMO. So if Hello games were absorbed into an RPG publisher company a No Man's Sky sequel could arrive to market before Starfield and probably technically better in all areas going by where Starfield is for frame-rate and pacing - on XsX? or RTX 4090/RX 7800XT PC?

Last edited:

TBiddy

Here's the thing...in a parallel universe if the Starfield Bethesda staff all decided to join Hello games, today, in 12month's time which game would be able to delivery on the shared vision better? Hello game's bespoke in-house engine would probably be easier to visually enhance and probably still run at a full 60fps on Series or PlayStation IMO. So if Hello games were absorbed into an RPG publisher company a No Man's Sky sequel could arrive to market before Starfield and probably technically better in all areas going by where Starfield is for frame-rate and pacing - on XsX? or RTX 4090/RX 7800XT PC?

Forgive me. But is this a serious question?

I don't think that being like NMS is a bad thing anyway for the exploration and mining side of things. However I am quite confident that the RPG elements, story, missions and dialogues will be far superior as this is what Bethesda are great at.

Laptop1991

Ive never played NMS so i dont make the comparison myself, more like the Outer worlds without the ship flying for me so far but a lot bigger which is a good thing as i really enjoyed TOW

skit_data

I don’t either understand why some take the comparison as a negative.

It’s the good parts of no Mans Sky that Starfield does. The bad parts of No Mans Sky is probably nowhere to be seen (unless Bethesda has a similar autogenerate system) since they aren’t in the same genre really.

No Mans Sky is a survival game (that’s why I couldn’t play it more than 4-5 hours) and Starfield is a RPG (I really like the Fallout games and have spent tons of hours in them). It’s gonna be a better game but have good parts that I appreciated in No Mans Sky. That’s definitely not a bad thing.

Cant really say as ive never been into NMS but im getting the same vibes as i did when fallout 4 was revealed, its gunna be soulless and boring and no amount of mods can save it, just like FO4

PaintTinJr

Forgive me. But is this a serious question?
Why wouldn't it be serious? Hello Games are a tiny developer yet are probably 7years ahead in delivering a product on that similar shared vision, and have been improving their game (cross platform too) for 5years. All amazing games, or game engines start off with a nucleus of super talent that then needs scaled up to make games at the size of a Bethesda RPG.

My comment isn't a criticism of Bethesda, but a: look how amazing Hello games were/are! and I stand by my point, it is easier to transform the ground work of No Man's Sky into a highly polished Space RPG, at 60fps on Series/PlayStation by scaling up their team to starfield size, than to improve Starfield's 30fps to 60fps on consoles, while also adding in the essential immersive planet entry system that NMS has had since day 1.

Coping with the fact that I get to play the game in less than a year at no additional cost to me? Yeah, you're right, hard to digest the value GamePass has given me.
What no additional cost, are you idiot on purpose or what? You pay for the service that provides games. They don't give it free, like every services there is a monthly subscription fee that you have to deduct from your salary. Except if you leave with your parents and they pay it for you.

bitbydeath

No. That's silly. Show me a city in No Man's Sky. Show me a quest chain. Dialogue options.
Like these?
images

images

images

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Like these?
images

images

images

I read that post and thought to myself "People really haven't played No Man's Sky for a long long time"

What's funny is the recent Frontiers update brought this even closer to the starfield trailer in terms of outposts etc.

Hopefully Starfield is more... crafted and less procedural but only time will tell. I'm looking forward to seeing if player crafted planets in terms of mods show up to fill this void if they don't. Imagine the mod community coming together to hand craft an entire planet because Bethesda can't.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I read that post and thought to myself "People really haven't played No Man's Sky for a long long time"

What's funny is the recent Frontiers update brought this even closer to the starfield trailer in terms of outposts etc.

Hopefully Starfield is more... crafted and less procedural but only time will tell. I'm looking forward to seeing if player crafted planets in terms of mod show up to fill this void if they don't.
Yup, you can tell who actually played NMS recently and who hasnt.

I do wonder if they will do procedural for the planets tho. Nightengale looks good and AFAIK its doing procedural.

Ppl upset at the comparisons....its really not that serious.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The moment you walk off the ship and start scanning shit I immediately got No Mans Sky vibes.

Then we got the FPS spots and I got CoD vibes.

Then I saw those level 2 enemies taking so much damage to bring down and I got Assassin’s Creed vibes.

Given the budget of the two games and the size of the teams involved, it’s actually quite alarming that NMS can even be mentioned in the same sentence. Starfield looks better technically (though not to my tastes) but realistically Starfield should look multitudes better.

Belthazar

I immediately thought about No Man's Sky when they mentioned that 1000 planets to explore bullshit. Hopefully they have a better procedural generation engine than NMS, otherwise it'll be like e dozen well thought out planets that are relevant to the plot and quests and 980 that are absolutely dreadful like 90% of the NMS planets.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Watching starfield I definitely got a feeling I’d already played it.

At first I thought of Mass Effect. Then the FPS shooting parts outside reminded of that Halo infinite reveal to the point I expected to see Craig.

Then at the base building part that Todd Howard was keen to hype up, I immediately thought of NMS doing it years ago. And with a lot more than a thousand planets.

The space combat looked like a closed off map too, but despite that, some bits reminded me of Elite without the open universe.

Which is all to say, this game seems to “borrow” a lot of stuff we’ve already seen…

I also noticed they’d borrowed plenty of Bethesda jank - awkward and stiff animations, poor performance, uncanny valley talking heads.

Is there a story? Is it yet more talking heads telling a tale that isn’t interesting? No one bothered to mention that stuff - you know, the part that would’ve made the game feel different to all the games it looks like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom