• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People have started Comparing No Man's Sky with Starfield

Is Starfield, No Man's Sky 2.0?

• Yes

Votes: 192 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 12.4%
  • Starfield Looks Better

Votes: 128 26.0%
  • Twitter & IGN are crazy. These are two completely different games.

Votes: 111 22.6%

• Total voters

TBiddy

Why wouldn't it be serious? Hello Games are a tiny developer yet are probably 7years ahead in delivering a product on that similar shared vision, and have been improving their game (cross platform too) for 5years. All amazing games, or game engines start off with a nucleus of super talent that then needs scaled up to make games at the size of a Bethesda RPG.

My comment isn't a criticism of Bethesda, but a: look how amazing Hello games were/are! and I stand by my point, it is easier to transform the ground work of No Man's Sky into a highly polished Space RPG, at 60fps on Series/PlayStation by scaling up their team to starfield size, than to improve Starfield's 30fps to 60fps on consoles, while also adding in the essential immersive planet entry system that NMS has had since day 1.

I need to ask then. Do you think that throwing enough people at a project that massive could transform No Mans Sky into Starfield in 12 months?

pasterpl

Watching starfield I definitely got a feeling I’d already played it.

At first I thought of Mass Effect. Then the FPS shooting parts outside reminded of that Halo infinite reveal to the point I expected to see Craig.

Then at the base building part that Todd Howard was keen to hype up, I immediately thought of NMS doing it years ago. And with a lot more than a thousand planets.

The space combat looked like a closed off map too, but despite that, some bits reminded me of Elite without the open universe.

Which is all to say, this game seems to “borrow” a lot of stuff we’ve already seen…

I also noticed they’d borrowed plenty of Bethesda jank - awkward and stiff animations, poor performance, uncanny valley talking heads.

Is there a story? Is it yet more talking heads telling a tale that isn’t interesting? No one bothered to mention that stuff - you know, the part that would’ve made the game feel different to all the games it looks like.

you do realise that you can get any game and take it apart like this? There were not many fully original concepts that released in the last 10-15 years. Most of the games released in the last decade “borrow” stuff from other games.

Duchess

I'll betting a Coke Zero that in the next 12 month No Man's Sky will allow players to build their own ships.

The game already has such a system in place for generating them, so it probably wouldn't be a massive amount of work to let players pick and choose said pieces.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
If you watched the whole 95 mins of that MS show that’s basically what you got - I couldn’t tell one indie shooter game from the next for most of it …
Yeah, if you add in the word "connected" I'm gonna throw up in my mouth.

Give me back the glory days of single player.

I don't like people, why the fuck do you think I wanna spend my very valuable free time on them? Sheesh.

Kssio_Aug

Wait... Don't the outposts seems like a natural upgrade to Fallout 4's settlements?
And did No Man's Sky invent character creation or something??

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

ToadMan

you do realise that you can get any game and take it apart like this? There were not many fully original concepts that released in the last 10-15 years. Most of the games released in the last decade “borrow” stuff from other games.

Sure - which is why devs go out of their way to show how their games will be different to all those others. To put it another way - the indie trash box is full of games that just ripped off the mechanics of other games and were forgotten 5 minutes after launch.

People in this thread are assuming a lot about what this game will be but it wasn’t shown regardless - they’re just assuming “more Bethesda” stuff. If you didn’t know anything about Bethesda you’d say this was NMS - shoot things, mine things, build a base. That’s what they chose to show.

For example

1) Are their parties in this? Or am I yet another lone character wandering the wilderness like the last 20 years of Bethesda games? If you have ships and bases but no meaningful relationships with other a crew, this game is DOA.

2) What is the story? Are their factions? Can I join? Are there multiple endings? Nothing shown.

3) Todd said the choices we make will decide the story? Really? So is it open ended sandbox - or is there a story ark that concludes? If it’s a sandbox base building then this is NMS with jank and no multiplayer.

Basically if you’re just going to show the stuff that is the same as other games then you open yourself up to exactly the criticism being thrown from far and wide.

There was no passion, no hook and no compelling reason presented in this segment to suggest this is any more than yet another of the flood of space games we’ve had this past few years.

There may well be a unique and innovative element to this game - but it hasn’t been shown yet and given the track records of the companies involved I’ll reserve judgement.

My GPU $1 sub runs for another 2 years so there’s a decent chance I’ll get to see this running as they envision it (although I wouldn’t bet my life on it) but still - am I hyped for it? Nope - I feel like I’ve played it already several times.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
People will always find similarities in every game if they are looking for it.

For example...

mzuKUsd.jpg
Console warring? This is a very dumb take

Uncharted, Ico, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War are not the same game

Just because it has jungle/forest section doesnt mean its the same game

Theres jungle/forest section to in Halo, Ryse , Tomb Raider and Gears

Youre gona ignore that? Silly console warring

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
We should compare it to Outer Worlds, because that is fallout in space, and that is what Starfield is more likely to be like. But comparing space games is normal. It doesn't have to diminish either game. Because games that take place in space are cool.

Guilty_AI

I might be wrong - as I'm only going by what I read in the comments, as haven't had time to watch the video without a quick scan - but the most difficult part of such a game to convince the audience they are in this universe is the leaving and entering orbit, and even the ~6year old launch day version of No Man's Sky completely nails the X-wing Dagobah entry and take off IMO. And from the comments Starfield doesn't let you control the landing part at all.
We don't really know, people are just assuming that because they haven't shown any gameplay footage of leaving or entering atmosphere. It could simply be because it isn't in a state that can be showcased yet, considering implementing this in a convincing way is usually pretty hard.

NMS for example has lots of pop-ins and sudden lightining shifts when doing it, something harder to get away with in a more "grounded" hugh budget game.

Here's the thing...in a parallel universe if the Starfield Bethesda staff all decided to join Hello games, today, in 12month's time which game would be able to deliver on the shared vision better? Hello game's bespoke in-house engine would probably be easier to visually enhance and probably still run at a full 60fps on Series or PlayStation IMO. So if Hello games were absorbed into an RPG publisher company a No Man's Sky sequel could arrive to market before Starfield and probably technically better in all areas going by where Starfield is for frame-rate and pacing - on XsX? or RTX 4090/RX 7800XT PC?
NMS engine has its own share of issues. Having played around in that game for so long i can tell anyting remotely RPG-like can barely hold itself together, not to mention performance isn't exactly great either, nor its very good at creating dense enviroments (just driving around in a roamer already causes grass and rocks to pop-in right below the player)

Last edited:
Console warring? This is a very dumb take

Uncharted, Ico, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War are not the same game

Just because it has jungle/forest section doesnt mean its the same game

Theres jungle/forest section to in Halo, Ryse , Tomb Raider and Gears

Youre gona ignore that? Silly console warring

the only real similarity is 3rd person. thats it. all those games play very differently to eachother.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
First picture :

Omg there's a robot. Just like no man's sky. In a Sci fi game.

Secons picture: oh my god it is third person, just like no man's sky.

Third picture: oh my god you can mine with a laser in a Sci fi game, like no man's sky.

You could literally put any third person game from the same time era whatever and make it look like a copy.

This is some low quality bait.

Kiraly

With how incredibly pressed people online are about this game you just know Microsoft and Bethesda have an incredible game on their hands.

Tripolygon

Banned
one pew pews in space the other pew pews in space based on the 15 mins of gameplay
100% identical
Knock yourself out my friend.

Are the character camera movement the same?

Its more than that, here is why both games seem similar but they have some differences and that is not a bad thing.

They are both space games with procedural generated planets filled with alien fauna and flora, where you are tasked with finding artifacts to uncover a secrete. You can fly ships, dogfight, and the main tools at your disposal is a scanner and a laser mining tool for mining minerals and material you can use to craft or trade. You can build bases in both games, you have robotic companion on your journey. You can jetpack across a mostly beautiful open barren landscape, in NMS however, you can manually take off and land from planet to planet, you can terraform, swim, ride various vehicles and fauna, you can have a "zoo" and a grow plants and there is a rich make your own fun rpg-like element to it. The game has really come a long way so Starfield is in good company if they are being compared. NSM does a lot of things that Starfield should copy, though we have yet to see everything Starfield has to offer.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Starfield or No Mans Starfield, I’m cautiously excited to play! I’ll happily blast my Skyrim character into NMS.

Topher

Gold Member
The mining with a ray gun looks exactly like NMS, but that's about it. The space ship building part isn't in NMS at all. You buy a ship and use inventory slots for upgrades which is a bit absurd, imo. It looks like SF allows you to build a ship from scratch. Interactions with NPCs, combat, cities, etc. All different.

PaintTinJr

I need to ask then. Do you think that throwing enough people at a project that massive could transform No Mans Sky into Starfield in 12 months?
Normally no, but specifically in this scenario, yes, I believe the laser focused technical lead at Hello Games that has built and rebuilt every system in their engine specific to their vision over the last 10years or so since design inception would be easier to scale up with help from say a SquareEnix JRPG team than trying to make a non-buggy 60fps version of Starfield on XsX - going by past post release patching by the two companies.

ToadMan

then dont play it. seems an obvious solution.

Unless there’s something worthwhile there I probably won’t. And with so many people evidently having the same feeling as me, this’ll end up being a commercial bomba.

But who am I kidding? I already paid for it through gamepass.

Kssio_Aug

First picture :

Omg there's a robot. Just like no man's sky. In a Sci fi game.

Secons picture: oh my god it is third person, just like no man's sky.

Third picture: oh my god you can mine with a laser in a Sci fi game, like no man's sky.

You could literally put any third person game from the same time era whatever and make it look like a copy.

This is some low quality bait.
What "surprises" me is to see how websites like IGN, Kotaku and Eurogame (at least Eurogamer PT) are always throwhing these kind of cheap baits on Twitter.

Are they really in such a need to whore themselves for clicks? No one gives them attention anymore without some clickbait bullshit?

Happy Episode 19 GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

What "surprises" me is to see how websites like IGN, Kotaku and Eurogame (at least Eurogamer PT) are always throwhing these kind of cheap baits on Twitter.

Are they really in such a need to whore themselves for clicks? No one gives them attention anymore without some clickbait bullshit?

Happy Episode 19 GIF by The Simpsons
They make their money off ad revenue, which is tied to impressions. Getting people to the page is the basically how they make their money. I don't love it, but this is what has become of the internet. Don't hate the player, etc.

Ev1L AuRoN

I think the game looks good, especially considering the scale we're promised. Visually it looks like a last-gen game, again, given the project's ambitions, it's good enough. I'm concerned about performance, however, it feels like a 30fps game and with fps drops or improper frame rate, I notice some fluidity issues in the demo. Still in the early days, I think, but Bethesda doesn't have a good track record in that regard.

Compared to No Man's Sky, they can't be more different, No Man's Sky is more cartoonish with bright colors, Starfield is aiming to a more filmic look, very stylized. But some gameplay elements are very similar, maybe that's why people are comparing the two.

MiguelItUp

There's definitely influence and inspiration, there's no doubting that. Some of it is pretty damn blatant. That's been my personal issue with modern AAA for a few years now. We've always seen titles be influenced or inspired by others for decades. Some blatantly. But I feel like it's all SO blatant nowadays, lmao. So many things are just so similar the differences in them are almost nonexistent aside from the engine and UI.

That being said, them making this a big deal is silly, this is no different than other titles that are similar to one another. Of course they're gonna use ideas from one another, etc. None of this is new.

Sacred

Yes it has similiar elements like mining and planet hopping. It also has elements of star citizen, fallout, skyrim, and several other titles. As does every other game in existence, this is a really disingenuous thread imo.

There isn't a point to No Man's Sky other than reaching the center of the galaxy. That's it. Comparing No Man's Sky to Sea of Thieves makes way more sense.

As for Starfield, I have no idea what the point is yet, but I'm sure it's different. Considering it will be more like a sci-fi Skyrim than anything else, which is exciting. Had this game been multi-plat, the response would have been much, much different.

Last edited:

Fbh

I guess the comparison makes sense but from my understanding No Man's Sky is still basically just a "make your own fun" survival crafting game.
Meanwhile I expect Starfield to be a proper Bethesda RPG with tons of NPC's, quests, hand crafted dungeons and locations, extensive side narratives, more RPG mechanics, etc.

Danknugz

After seeing the footage i felt kind of disappointed with how sterile and dare i say boring star field looks but then again i'm not a huge fan of the space fantasy genre

UnNamed

Banned
Flight on planets, scan and craft stuffs, shoot at enemies, so we should compare Starfield with Frontier and so on.

Top Bottom