• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People saying Breath of The Wild has bad combat, are not creative enough.

Knightime_X

Using literally anything that isn't your primary weapon should be viewed as a utility, not a semi-forced gimmick.
If you want to use your sword only, that's fine; Shouldn't be viewed as a negative.

Raven117

Or people are well aware of all that shit, and they just don’t like that?

Geezus, it’s like some fans just can’t accept something doesn’t click with certain people, and they rationalize in their head, “ah, they’re just ignorant on the matter!”

the simpsons adult GIF
My biggest issue with BotW fans.

I've been told time and time again that I'm ignorant...and somehow "lack taste" in this kind of stuff.

I recognize that it is an excellent physics engine...but I don't find it fun. Its not for me. I understand what its trying to do.

I love BOTW's combat personally. You parry, dodge, time strike, roll, have multiple weapons and abilities at your disposal, can use the environment and objects to your advantage, and it feels good.

Breakable weapons didn't bother me and once you are far enough in the game it's no issue. Weapons are plentiful and it adds another layer to the game that isn't like anything else.

I don't see it lacking compared to it's peers really. Dark Souls included.

Granted, I also enjoyed Witcher 3's combat lol

I will admit that a lot of those gif look like fun. It's true, I'm probably not creative enough to think of those use cases, partly because I would have to unlearn a lifetime of games telling me "no, you can't do that". But also because most of those are situational and often less effective than simply slashing shit. I'm fine with it though. I don't want very complex combat in this type of game so I'm happy just frolicking around mashing the attack button.

Buggy Loop

That’s cool and all, using all systems and BOTW physics and chemistry engine are super cool, but it’s the equivalent of a tiger toying with a mouse, because BOTW enemies are nothing special in their attacks, they’re easy. I love BOTW, but really not for combat.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
That’s cool and all, using all systems and BOTW physics and chemistry engine are super cool, but it’s the equivalent of a tiger toying with a mouse, because BOTW enemies are nothing special in their attacks, they’re easy. I love BOTW, but really not for combat.
While they are easy, master mode is pretty good for a challenge and you will definitely need alternative ways to kill enemies since their health regenerate.

BigBooper

So how many of these combat tricks and abilities did you discover?

I wouldn't call watching video on how to replicate obscure combat techniques "creative."

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
So how many of these combat tricks and abilities did you discover?

I would call watching video on how to replicate obscure combat techniques "creative."
this is not really obscure, I guess you haven't played the game but the great plateau is the first area of the game where you get all those techniques and the point of the chemistry engine is to mix everything. You could attack a bokoblins with your sword or you can drown then in the river if you don't wanna waste a weapon. 5 years later people discover new ways to use the world as "combat" because the game is designed that way.

BigBooper

this is not really obscure, I guess you haven't played the game but the great plateau is the first area of the game where you get all those techniques and the point of the chemistry engine is to mix everything. You could attack a bokoblins with your sword or you can drown then in the river if you don't wanna waste a weapon. 5 years later people discover new ways to use the world as "combat" because the game is designed that way.

Yea, but you didn't answer my question.

BTW, I didn't ask to call you out specifically or anything. I think if the combat system requires obscure tricks to be interesting so that even dedicated fans can't figure them out without help, then the game has bad combat. At least for most people.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Yea, but you didn't answer my question.
instead of using your sword to fight a Lynel and waste 3 swords ( the stronger enemy of the game) you can do this
BeautifulCostlyAsianconstablebutterfly-size_restricted.gif

that's the point of the thread, they way you can use everything for combat and not just weapons. you just need to be creative with all the tools.

BigBooper

instead of using your sword to fight a Lynel and waste 3 swords ( the stronger enemy of the game) you can do this
BeautifulCostlyAsianconstablebutterfly-size_restricted.gif

that's the point of the thread, they way you can use everything for combat and not just weapons. you just need to be creative with all the tools.
Yea...but you still won't answer my question. The reason I asked it is I think if the combat system requires obscure tricks to be interesting so that even dedicated fans can't figure them out without help, then the game has bad combat. At least for most people.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Yea...but you still won't answer my question. The reason I asked it is I think if the combat system requires obscure tricks to be interesting so that even dedicated fans can't figure them out without help, then the game has bad combat. At least for most people.
Dude I'm just telling you these are not "obscure" tricks, you literally get the tutorial at the beginning of the game, everything is connected (the elements, the runes, the physics and the combat) use it how you want, or don't. If you still don't get it, I guess for you it will have bad combat but if my little sister can do it, anyone can do it.
IMG_5921-1.jpg

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
From the get go (thread title), the OP set a pretty bad tone for the conversation, which otherwise is a reasonable one to have -- even beyond Breath of the Wild, the general tendency of games to give you (or not give you) the ability to be creative with combat.

But the OP and some of his fellow Nintendo/Breath of the Wild fanatics are defensive and argumentative; just comes off as incredibly childish 😂
Couldn’t have said it better myself lol

JCK75

. . .really?

I returned the game and the system. I couldn't believe how bad the actual content in the game was; I honestly was fooling myself telling myself "Well the Divine Beasts are just the classic dungeons (they aren't)" or that the Shrines really weren't just a collection of mobile mini-games.

. . .legit wild how much praise the design of this game gets even after folks have taken multiple looks under the hood.

Dishonored may be the exception.. but NO to the Souls games, RDR2 and everything else said..
Souls games require mad skills and while impressive.. it doesn't have the style you get here.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I started a new file recently, and the little adventure I went on this weekend was a perfect example of why the game is so fantastic.

With just 5 hearts now, I'm extremely vulnerable and have to use tricks to win bigger encounters. I was exploring the far north and decided to make my way towards the huge labyrinth you can see up there--but as I cut through the icy mountains leading to it, I realized I didn't have any warm clothing yet, so this was going to be a struggle. I did have something like 15 minutes worth of cold-reducing foods to eat, but at that altitude all they did was to slow down the freezing damage effect, not completely stop it.

So it was a rush to the labyrinth, and without the map area unlocked yet it was hard to see and know where to go once you get high up in the mountain and have no visibility due to snow. I cut too far north and ended up very nearly sliding into the abyss at the edge in a startling moment, but finally just spotted the looming edge of the labyrinth through the blizzard and made it there. Now, however, I had nearly eaten all my extra food just to keep replenishing hearts, and had been killing wolves to get more and barely survive.

Inside the labyrinth with maybe 8 minutes left of cold reduction and still taking damage, it seemed nearly impossible. In small enounters I ended up dropping firewood, lighting it with one of my few fire arrows, then using it to light my other arrows for a better attack. Also being within a few feet of a fire during a fight meant I stopped taking freezing damage. But I still would have died if I hadn't found a fire rod--and thanks to the fantastic systems in the game, it turns out that carrying a lit fire rod on your back is just enough extra warmth to avoid any damage if you've also eaten level-one warmth foods. So I had 3 or 4 minutes to spare on my final warmth food, nothing left to replenish hearts, and the fire rod to keep my from taking damage. I just barely found the entrance to the shrine before dying, and it felt like such a triumph.

That's the beauty of the game: approaching things entirely differently each time, using its various sytems. Everything works together (equipment, food, environment, combat, etc) so that you'll find on a replay that the game can be entirely different from your first experience.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Is it just me or does it seem like the people who constantly heap praise on BoTW and considerate it a 10/10 masterpiece give off the impression that BoTW is the first open world game they played. Also quite possibly they have only ever owned a Nintendo console. Before anyone accuses or asks, yes I've played BoTW all the way through, twice, all 120 shrines done. It's a middle of the road Zelda at best with at least ALTTP, Ocarina, Twilight, Links Awakening, A Link Between Worlds all better off the top of my head. On second thought, maybe I just need to get more "creative."
Wind waker is also a way better zelda game.

Top Bottom