• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People saying Breath of The Wild has bad combat, are not creative enough.

Ezquimacore

Banned
After playing 100 hours of Elden Ring, which has better combat than botw (that's not fair because almost every souls game has better combat than anything else) I understood why people say botw's combat is bad. Because the combat on BOTW is as good as your creativity

While the "slash, slash, slash" of BOTW is not anything from other world and even lame with the weapons degrading

tumblr_om5t0xlru51tulcmho1_500.gif
<--------------that's not how you play botw.

1. Anything is a weapon, even your enemies

2. Use the elements, they are there for a reason
066c1fc8e289ae7bbcb765cb10a6b279331871ee_hq.gif

a5ed0c75195bec6e2235c890965c1fc5.gif

3. Use stasis, it's there for a reason
tumblr_occ7fheFmE1vy313ho1_500.gifv

PersonalInfiniteGalah-max-1mb.gif

lynel_go_bye_bye.gif

4. Use Magnesis, it's there for a reason
UnsungFriendlyBlackfly-size_restricted.gif

HeartfeltLoathsomeClam-max-1mb.gif

5. Use the cuccos, they are there for a reason
m6oqeutk03vhdq07uwfg.gif

BonyKindlyFritillarybutterfly-size_restricted.gif

6. Use your shield, it's there for a reason.

7. the horse combat is trash, so use the master cycle
FixedGrotesqueFairyfly-max-1mb.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

And I can be here the whole night giving you examples, but you get my point. The freedom on breath of the wild is not limited to the overwold, but it goes beyond and gives you every choice to be awesome or to be lame.

200w.webp
821931487ff6f309aac3aa1c93c881bb.gif

every system is interconnected, funny how people still don't get it. The game doesn't give you a tutorial of how to use it, you have the freedom to use it how you want.

it's called the chemistry engine for a reason.
IMG_5921-1.jpg
That still doesn't make it a good combat system. Yes you can utilize the world to creatively defeat enemies, but the actual weapons combat is fairly rinse and repeat. Was the main reason I couldn't vibe with the game, not even including the weapons breaking system.

Ezquimacore

Banned
That still doesn't make it a good combat system. Yes you can utilize the world to creatively defeat enemies, but the actual weapons combat is fairly rinse and repeat. Was the main reason I couldn't vibe with the game, not even including the weapons breaking system.
that's like some mental gymnastic shit, "I can use everything to kill everything on the game but that's just not combat, only sword fights"

EDMIX

Still prefer Twilight Princess

But BotW is fun, regardless of the combat

Twilight Princess is legit the last real good Zelda game.

I never knew that while playing it and only see that after so many "meh" Zeldas after. I didn't hate BOTW, but it felt like a Ubisoft clone more then a Zelda game.

I just want to go to many REAL dungeons, fight a boss, get a item and move to the next one, not some copy and paste shit, newgrounds puzzles etc. I had more of a Zelda feel with God Of War 2018, then I did BoTW. Set dungeons with bosses literally unique to that area, different puzzles actually about that location and not some copy and paste crap, I never thought I'd see the day were a God Of War game was more Zelda, then the last Zelda game. If you told me that was going to be the outcome 10 years ago, I would have never believed you lol

I want that design back that had purpose, when you went to an area and it was made for a real actual reason and not just mindless fucking ubisoft filler, I expected that from some big 3rd party looking to move units, not from Nintendo and from a Zelda game. BoTW 2 needs to fix that for me to even consider a buy at this point.

its good its just not souls level

I knows souls owes a lot to zelda from lock-on and targeting to parrying and more

but souls combat is way better

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned

I never knew that while playing it and only see that after so many "meh" Zeldas after. I didn't hate BOTW, but it felt like a Ubisoft clone more then a Zelda game.

I just want to go to many REAL dungeons, fight a boss, get a item and move to the next one, not some copy and paste shit, newgrounds puzzles etc. I had more of a Zelda feel with God Of War 2018, then I did BoTW. Set dungeons with bosses literally unique to that area, different puzzles actually about that location and not some copy and paste crap, I never thought I'd see the day were a God Of War game was more Zelda, then the last Zelda game. If you told me that was going to be the outcome 10 years ago, I would have never believed you lol

I want that design back that had purpose, when you went to an area and it was made for a real actual reason and not just mindless fucking ubisoft filler, I expected that from some big 3rd party looking to move units, not from Nintendo and from a Zelda game. BoTW 2 needs to fix that for me to even consider a buy at this point.
breath of the wild has more than120 shrines and 6 dungeons including the divine beasts, the yiga hideout and Hyrule Castle. While I want real big dungeons back, botw has more puzzles than any other zelda game. It's just dispersed in a giant world.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, BOTW is certainly a beast in terms of options once you get used to the game and can switch mechanics on the fly.

I tried to play it the other day after being away for 2 years. LOL, it was so ungodly sloppy for me. It was 100% my shortcoming but also reinforced that I'll probably never replay the game. I enjoyed my 80 hours and that's good enough for me.

I agree with a few others in here, TP is my favorite in terms of combat and overall Zelda experience. Such a great game, too easy though, that's my only complaint.

SeraphJan

You've completely spoke my mind

Last edited:

EDMIX

breath of the wild has more tahn 120 shrines and 6 dungeons including the divine beasts, the yiga hideout and Hyrule Castle. While I want real big dungeons back, botw has more puzzles than any other zelda game. It's just dispersed in a giant world.

Thats like saying AC light RPGS have more this or more that. idgaf sir, my issue is the new grounds copy and paste low quality crap. It has more bad puzzles lol

By this logic all AC rpgs are better then BoTW.... oh they have mo!!!! lol

Just stop man. I never liked Zelda based on a fucking number count, in fact that is why I hate other titles, back in the day a Zelda game was not about how much, it was about the great quality of that world and if you go to a far corner, the design was made with great purpose and a secret is there.

The bosses were all unique, the dungeons all unique to the story etc. I'd rather have that focused, quality and attention to detail vs a Ubisoft clone trying to win a numbers game of quantity then quality.

At this point, my only hope for that classic design and quality is actually the new God Of War game, not BOTW2 unless they do some massive changes. idgaf if they are out here doing 1000 of some dumb copy and paste crap, if its just going to fodder, collect'a'ton, filler stuff, I don't think I'll pick it. I like Zelda based on its concept, not name. Just calling it "Zelda" doesn't mean I'll play some Ubisoft clone man lol

We'll see if they make those changes in BOTW2.

Banned
Hmmm...okay. BOTW combat is fine for the game it wants to me, the issue is that because your weapons break you have to seriously consider fighting at all

no you don't, you get weapons EVERYWHERE... i constantly ran around with at least 4 guardian weapons and multiple throwaway ones you find everywhere

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Fully agree, the game is meant to be enjoyed with creativity and constantly changing up your strategies.

And yes, weapon breaking is a fantastic part of the game. It's probably my favorite thing they did of their moves against the conventional wisdom of the genre. Screw trying to complete some full arsenal of all items by checking them off a list, and screw having one master loadout, instead of having to constantly pick things up from your opponents and get creative in the middle of a fight.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Thats like saying AC light RPGS have more this or more that. idgaf sir, my issue is the new grounds copy and paste low quality crap. It has more bad puzzles lol

By this logic all AC rpgs are better then BoTW.... oh they have mo!!!! lol

Just stop man. I never liked Zelda based on a fucking number count, in fact that is why I hate other titles, back in the day a Zelda game was not about how much, it was about the great quality of that world and if you go to a far corner, the design was made with great purpose and a secret is there.

The bosses were all unique, the dungeons all unique to the story etc. I'd rather have that focused, quality and attention to detail vs a Ubisoft clone trying to win a numbers game of quantity then quality.

At this point, my only hope for that classic design and quality is actually the new God Of War game, not BOTW2 unless they do some massive changes. idgaf if they are out here doing 1000 of some dumb copy and paste crap, if its just going to fodder, collect'a'ton, filler stuff, I don't think I'll pick it. I like Zelda based on its concept, not name. Just calling it "Zelda" doesn't mean I'll play some Ubisoft clone man lol

We'll see if they make those changes in BOTW2.
lol wtf this shit is funny as fuck, the game is bad just because you say it. I will say the game is a masterpiece and you say the game is bad. Our conversation is pointless. "Just stop man" lol

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
So despite telling the whole forum that they’re playing it wrong, you play a modded version to make your weapons last 4x longer instead of ”being creative”.

Okay.
The weapons system is bad, and that's why I saw the combat for the other perspective and said sword combat is lame in the first sentence. I'm talking about the base game which I completed like 3 times, I play it with mods because mods are amazing on PC.

but you obviously need a bit of guidance to understand stuff.

RafterXL

Found the dude that is not creative enough.
Every time I go to my sisters house, my nephew runs out his Switch and shows me something "cool" he did in Zelda. I pat him on it the head and tell him "good job, buddy" but inside I want him to go away. You see, that Zelda game was mine before it was his, and I'd already done all of these things a dozen times over, and frankly they weren't all that impressive the first time.

This is all the physics system and not the combat. In fact, the entire game feels like they designed the physics system and then built the game as an afterthought.

Me not liking BotWs combat has nothing to do with my lack of creativity. It has to do with the fact that, other than the physics system, which I've never really cared about in ANY game, including games I've absolutely loved, like Half-life 2, there's NOTHING else about it that is interesting or worthwhile.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Every time I go to my sisters house, my nephew runs out his Switch and shows me something "cool" he did in Zelda. I pat him on it the head and tell him "good job, buddy" but inside I want him to go away. You see, that Zelda game was mine before it was his, and I'd already done all of these things a dozen times over, and frankly they weren't all that impressive the first time.

This is all the physics system and not the combat. In fact, the entire game feels like they designed the physics system and then built the game as an afterthought.

Me not liking BotWs combat has nothing to do with my lack of creativity. It has to do with the fact that, other than the physics system, which I've never really cared about in ANY game, including games I've absolutely loved, like Half-life 2, there's NOTHING else about it that is interesting or worthwhile.
well obviously this thread is not for you, since you don't like the game at all and not because of the combat. That's like me going to a Civilization thread and saying that franchise is bad or I don't like it, just because I don't like it.

EDMIX

lol wtf this shit is funny as fuck, the game is bad you because you say. I will say the game is a masterpiece and you say the game is bad. Our conversation is pointless. "Just stop man" lol

You too triggered man.

Its simply my opinion on the matter, just like you have your own. I gave my reasons. So with all do respect, you will say the game is a masterpiece, thats ok...you believe that, but give that same respect to those that disagree.

I see no reason to make a thread, get mad when someone disagrees and then feel its pointless cause I don't agree with you. I don't now what to say other then I can't agree with a numbers argument regarding a company built on quality and purpose. Back then, Zelda was the IP used to even argue why quality and real focus was what gamers wanted, to now hear some argument solely on a number and ignoring so many odd choices is sad to see imho. Those that like Ubisoft open world design by filler and numbers will be right at home I guess. I just can't buy a game based on a name, what i like with the series is just not in BOTW for me to care compared to the other titles in the past.

Its not a bad game and thats what you stated. You basically need everyone to 100% LOVE IT no issues, or any comment not praising it is "oh you say the game is bad" when nothing of the sort was stated. I played it, beat it, liked it, didn't love it, thought a lot of it was meh and felt a lot of the design was bad, doesn't mean I think its a bad game, simply that is doesn't even fit a lot of the Zelda concept and feels more like a Ubisoft game.

I didn't hate BOTW,

but I guess you needed to ignore that =)

Ezquimacore

Banned
You too triggered man.

Its simply my opinion on the matter, just like you have your own. I gave my reasons. So with all do respect, you will say the game is a masterpiece, thats ok...you believe that, but give that same respect to those that disagree.

I see no reason to make a thread, get mad when someone disagrees and then feel its pointless cause I don't agree with you. I don't now what to say other then I can't agree with a numbers argument regarding a company built on quality and purpose. Back then, Zelda was the IP used to even argue why quality and real focus was what gamers wanted, to now hear some argument solely on a number and ignoring so many odd choices is sad to see imho. Those that like Ubisoft open world design by filler and numbers will be right at home I guess. I just can't buy a game based on a name, what i like with the series is just not in BOTW for me to care compared to the other titles in the past.

Its not a bad game and thats what you stated. You basically need everyone to 100% LOVE IT no issues, or any comment not praising it is "oh you say the game is bad" when nothing of the sort was stated. I played it, beat it, liked it, didn't love it, thought a lot of it was meh and felt a lot of the design was bad, doesn't mean I think its a bad game, simply that is doesn't even fit a lot of the Zelda concept and feels more like a Ubisoft game.

but I guess you needed to ignore that =)
The thing is that I don't think the game is a masterpice, The most exciting thing about breath of the wild is how much the sequel can improve. Thing is everytime I post something positive about botw everyone here is triggered as fuck and ready to tell me how trash the game is without even reading the post. So to post here you gotta be ready for war, and that's what I do.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Ok but literally none of that is necessary to progress through the game. A good combat system would require, or at the very least encourage you to do things other than slash and dodge. People "showing off" things you can do, doesn't make it a good combat system.
why play the game at all, they give you the final quest from the beginning of the game. just go to hyrule castle and kill ganon without doing anything
maxresdefault.jpg

SeraphJan

Well-crafted level design, memorable boss fight, everything you do have a meaning, every equipment you obtain there is a sense of accomplishment, this is how I felt when I said I prefer Twilight Princess

BotW is a great game, but depend on perspective, if you are expecting a Zelda experience, that's not exactly what the game delivers, the above experiences I've described, BotW delivers none of them.

But why do I still think BotW is a great game? Instead of classic Zelda, if you look at it from a innovative sandbox game perspective where it tests the creativity of the player, it does delivered.

I remember there is one night, I had a dream in an alternative world, Link was palette swapped with Mario, BotW was launched as a Nintendo's new take on open-world Mario game. When I woke up, I was actually sold, I kid you not, I mean BotW had better platformer and traversal mechanic than its combat.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
This is valid for almost any game that has multiple systems that go unused because gamers are lazy. HFW has great depth in its combat but gamers just want to spam normal arrows…

EDMIX

I don't think the game is a masterpice

also you

the game is a masterpiece

I don't know how anyone can take this seriously....

You can't even maintain a view for 15 minutes....

The most exciting thing about breath of the wild is how much the sequel can improve.

My god, so the most exciting thing about the game, is how much another game will fix it? wow man.

everytime I post something positive about botw everyone here is triggered as fuck a

and? People are allowed to have different views.

So sir....this idea that "everyone here is triggered" is how you are responding to this.

funny how people still don't get it

Found the dude that is not creative enough.

you're just one of those internet salty dudes

everything well with the husband?

That's how I play it on cemu, the weapons are breakable but I use x4 duration.
^ yet you are literally arguing with people who are telling you they dislike the design, but shit you MODDED THE GAME to change a feature we are literally telling you was a bad design? The fuck?
I play it with mods
^ the fucking irony, yet you have the nerve to argue like this when you yourself altered the game to go around a bad design issue? smh
obviously this thread is not for you, since you don't like the game

The thread imho is for anyone who played it to discuss that combat feature in regards to creativity and game design in general, good or bad.

Banned
Ok but literally none of that is necessary to progress through the game. A good combat system would require, or at the very least encourage you to do things other than slash and dodge. People "showing off" things you can do, doesn't make it a good combat system.

that is true for almost every game. I know someone who literally played through Horizon zero Dawn by simply standing behind rocks and slow-mo jump shooting every boss to death on the highest difficulty.

there are people that play DMC3 and only do a single combo to defeat any enemy.

you can finish Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne by simply dodging and doing 1 attack over and over.

Last edited:

Doom85

The thing is that I don't think the game is a masterpice, The most exciting thing about breath of the wild is how much the sequel can improve. Thing is everytime I post something positive about botw everyone here is triggered as fuck and ready to tell me how trash the game is without even reading the post. So to post here you gotta be ready for war, and that's what I do.
ready for war
ready for war

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden
Shocked Eddie Murphy GIF
Awkward Season 2 GIF by The Office
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

Ezquimacore

Banned
also you

I don't know how anyone can take this seriously....

You can't even maintain a view for 15 minutes....

My god, so the most exciting thing about the game, is how much another game will fix it? wow man.

and? People are allowed to have different views.

So sir....this idea that "everyone here is triggered" is how you are responding to this.

^ yet you are literally arguing with people who are telling you they dislike the design, but shit you MODDED THE GAME to change a feature we are literally telling you was a bad design? The fuck?

^ the fucking irony, yet you have the nerve to argue like this when you yourself altered the game to go around a bad design issue? smh

The thread imho is for anyone who played it to discuss that combat feature in regards to creativity and game design in general, good or bad.
you took a bunch of quotes and created your own context to win an internet argument, you have more time than I do. you won.
_O-9zwCTBUd0b_ayjWbsvpGZXaTC-8Qidzx_xcKUH8s.jpg

Hugare

Bet you havent done (and arent able to pull off yourself) 10% of the cool shit that you posted

It's cool that in theory you can do all that. But 99% of the players will play with the "bread and butter" mechanics 'cause they arent some speedrunner living in their parent's basement. That's why it's important to make the "slash slash" gameplay rewarding and fun.

It's like posting a video of StealthgamerBR playing Dishonored. I'll never be able to pull that off, but the basic mechanics are so fun that I didnt even care and enjoyed the game anyway.

Last edited:
This is valid for almost any game that has multiple systems that go unused because gamers are lazy. HFW has great depth in its combat but gamers just want to spam normal arrows…
Horizon has some fantastic gameplay. I can easily see it being overwhelming for people, though, since there are a lot of systems at play. They need to tweak the amount of recrafting involved in combat, among other things.

Top Bottom