• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People seem to think I’m ruining gaming because I like 30fps…

tassletine

1. You are taking this personally. Nowhere have they said that you are ruining gaming. Try not to complain about things that don't exist.
2. "Why can’t people have preferences and like what they like?" -- This applies to you too and you should respect their opinions.

But, and this is a honest question for everyone, do you think we are really move to 60fps this generation? Or it is a fact of games being cross gen technically? Because I think that as soon the games become more demanding graphically, a lot of developers in console will return to 30 fps.
The more we stay in this cross-gen period where 60fps modes is the norm, the more it is likely games will at least continue to offer a 60fps mode. There is a sudden wave of people now on the 60fps train; and for many once you've experienced 60fps for a while it is REALLY difficult to go back (there are exceptions ofc). Your question is also a bit of a misnomer as pushing 60fps IS a game being more graphically demanding. The number of framers per second is part and parcel of a game's visuals. Graphics of a video game is a balance of lighting, shadows, model detail, animation, FPS. In my view, developers will have to at least give a 60fps mode right through the gen and beyond.

sephiroth7x

Just enjoy your gaming? Some games need 60fps (or more) more than others but if you are happy playing in 30 then play in 30.

Most games I play are just fine at 30fps. Would I prefer 60? Probably. Do I bitch and scream for it. No. I take it as it comes and as the developer wants it. Simple.

Whitecrow

Banned
So I posted on Reddit how excited I was to know Kena is getting a 30fps mode and people decided to just crap all over me as if it’s my fault that they included that mode.

“You’re dumb if you like 30fps”
“60fps is always better, if you want cinematic, watch a movie”
“Can’t wait to play at 8K/15fps, that would blow your mind”
“I can’t understand how anyone can LIKE 30fps”
“60fps is next gen”
“You don’t play movies”
“Have fun with your juddery slide show”
“You won’t notice a difference between 4K and 60fps mode but you will notice a difference between 30 and 60fps”
“30fps has too much input lag”
“Nobody wants 30fps, why are you excited?”

Why can’t people have preferences and like what they like? They act as if it bothers them greatly that someone else out there likes something they don’t. How did we ever put up with 30fps games for the past 15+ years if 30fps is simply unplayable?

Also, their brains pretty much explode when I tell them I would cap my games to 30fps on PC for maximum graphical fidelity.

“Who cares, you can’t see all that detail once you’re moving!” — umm yeah I can and you know what else I can see? A blurry image at 60fps.

Why would the devs put the 30fps mode there if people like me didn’t exist? If 60fps is 100% always better, then why not just force 60fps on everything and not even give us a choice?

Even though it’s an optional choice, they still seem to think their way is always superior like they’re PCMR all of a sudden. Why did everyone turn into frame rate snobs over night? Where have the graphics/image quality whores gone?

/rant
World is full of ass*****. NeoGAF included.
60 fps is a a religion now and you are good to stay away from it and laugh at all the butthurts.

Life's too short to care. Give everyone the finger and enjoy having the superior mindset of being able to enjoy everything.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Nothing against 30 fps but I have to say, after finished The Medium on ps5, I bought Hitman 3, man what a difference come back to very smooth 60 fps after a 30 fps plagued with stutters and bad frame pacing.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

So I posted on Reddit how excited I was to know Kena is getting a 30fps mode and people decided to just crap all over me as if it’s my fault that they included that mode.

“60fps is next gen”
“You don’t play movies”
“You won’t notice a difference between 4K and 60fps mode but you will notice a difference between 30 and 60fps”

Why can’t people have preferences and like what they like? They act as if it bothers them greatly that someone else out there likes something they don’t. How did we ever put up with 30fps games for the past 15+ years if 30fps is simply unplayable?

Also, their brains pretty much explode when I tell them I would cap my games to 30fps on PC for maximum graphical fidelity.

“Who cares, you can’t see all that detail once you’re moving!” — umm yeah I can and you know what else I can see? A blurry image at 60fps.

Why would the devs put the 30fps mode there if people like me didn’t exist? If 60fps is 100% always better, then why not just force 60fps on everything and not even give us a choice?

Even though it’s an optional choice, they still seem to think their way is always superior like they’re PCMR all of a sudden. Why did everyone turn into frame rate snobs over night? Where have the graphics/image quality whores gone?

/rant
Dont get me wrong anything above 30 fps is great, if a game has a 60fps option or if a my pc can play it in 60fps without effecting the graphics then its great but id rather play a game at 30fps without any drops compared to a game on 60 fps with frame drops, theres literally nothing wrong with 30fps, maybe it doesnt bother me because ive played games on almost every console, people forget the shitty ps2 games they played were in 30fps

KAL2006

Banned
People who aren't bothered or cant tell the difference how big is your TV and how far is your viewing distance. I think size of TV and viewing distance from a large TV makes 30fps look bad. It didn't bother me on my 42 inch, but on my 65 inch it's a eyesore. It makes sense as the motion on a larger screen is more obvious than a smaller screen. The motion space between 2 frames is larger on a larger screen. Just for my own curiousety I'd like to know the TVs people have.

I mean they’re right, but Reddit is also aids so not really sure who to back here.

I’ll only play 30fps if there’s no choice. Played through Dark Souls 3 4 times in 30 on the X1. Now it has an FPS boost patch on XSX for 60fps and it’s a godsend. Don’t even care it’s still 900p it’s so fluid now it’s amazing.

Genx3

I find it funny that the more we advance, the less and further from consistent 60fps we get, in favor of 30 fps..

You'd think that with better hardware this wouldn't be such an issue. It's just an easy way to get a better visual experience.

Ummmm
We went from 20 FPS during the N64 era to 120 FPS we currently have..

GymWolf

30 fps on those 10 console exclusives that comes out every generation that push graphic with a shitty hardware, 60 fps on pc for everything else.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
OP your opinion is a generation too late.

Lets face it, console players enjoyed 30 fps because most of the time you haven't experienced 60 fps.

I've been playing 144 Hz last few years, and now with 1440p 165hz display.

As a PC Gamer 60 fps has been crap for a long time.

You don't get max fidelity because 30 fps that's not how it works.

Capping 30 fps to get max fidelity is because of crap hardware struggling.

I run warframe 1440 p g sync capped 160 and even though everything's ultra, as in you can't get better graphics, my gfx card goes fucking insane because I play v sync off and it just spits several hundreds of frames.

I even had to downclock my grafic card because my card spits so many pictures out.

30 fps is crap. Always has been. The reason why more console players are disagreeing with you now is because more has experienced hideous 60 fps and even 120 fps.

FeldMonster

People who aren't bothered or cant tell the difference how big is your TV and how far is your viewing distance. I think size of TV and viewing distance from a large TV makes 30fps look bad. It didn't bother me on my 42 inch, but on my 65 inch it's a eyesore. It makes sense as the motion on a larger screen is more obvious than a smaller screen. The motion space between 2 frames is larger on a larger screen. Just for my own curiousety I'd like to know the TVs people have.
I cannot tell the difference between 30 and 60 and I have a a 75" 4K HDR TV with a viewing distance of about 9.5 ft.

NahaNago

30fps is fine. We just had a lot more pc gamers these jumping onto console games so they will complain about console games at 30.

edbrat

I'm not a frame rate obsessive, never have been, have always been like "if I'm ok playing it I don't give a fuck what frame rate it is". Until recently, when after having (unconsciously) played a load of 60fps games I tried to replay Bloodborne, I barely made it into the introductory area before I stopped because it just felt shit, my movement didn't feel smooth or responsive. I also had a bit of this when playing Control and choosing between the quality mode and the higher frame rate mode, once I'd tried the higher frame rate playing the lower option became unthinkable to me and even trying gave me the beginnings of motion sickness. Once you've snorted that sweet high framerate chisel it's difficult to go back imo, better to never try it at all if all you can get is 30FPS pub grub.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
1.) Platform Warriors (typically PCMR)
2.) "Hardcore" gamers. The ones who think they are hardcore, at any rate. Only ever play AAA titles, disregard everything that isn't modern day AAA titles as being for kids or shit.
3.) People with a magic devices called mouse and racing wheels that screams at you with the input lag difference...

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Why would you use 30fps if it plays better at higher fps?
It plays minimally better.

You think a difference of 16.6 ms is such a big deal but it isnt.

In slow paced games where reflexes and timing are not even close to crucial, the game plays exactly the same.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

3.) People with a magic device called mouse that screams at you with the input lag difference...

Exactly, honestly any game that i can't run at a absolute minimum of 60 fps is instant avoid for me. Can't deal with janky controls.

Nothing against 30 fps but I have to say, after finished The Medium on ps5, I bought Hitman 3, man what a difference come back to very smooth 60 fps after a 30 fps plagued with stutters and bad frame pacing.

Now imagine only playing games at 100+ fps with gsync and then move back to 30 fps with v-sync. U will just close the game.

Last edited:
They're right, 30 fps sucks

If you like playing a slideshow then go for it

For me if a game is 30fps only it's a hard pass
30 fps has been the case for the vast majority of games for a good 20 years, so you must've missed a LOT of games. Literally never play Nintendo games ever?

60 is obv better than 30 and 120 is obv better than 60. The question is at what cost do you get that framrate. If devs thought for a second that 60fps improved game quality that much then all games would look worse and run in 60, it is literally thier business to sell as many games as possible, if the market was that hungry for high framrate that's exactly what we would get.

Kenpachii

30 fps has been the case for the vast majority of games for a good 20 years, so you must've missed a LOT of games. Literally never play Nintendo games ever?

60 is obv better than 30 and 120 is obv better than 60. The question is at what cost do you get that framrate. If devs thought for a second that 60fps improved game quality that much then all games would look worse and run in 60, it is literally thier business to sell as many games as possible, if the market was that hungry for high framrate that's exactly what we would get.

Majority of games in the last 20 years have all been 60+ fps.

Paradicia

OP is like an old farmer in the 18th century before cars came around.

Why would I want to drive a car, when I can just ride bareback on a horse

You need to play at full 60+ FPS to see and fully appreciate the differences in framerate. If you know no better, why would you care?

Majority of games in the last 20 years have all been 60+ fps.
No they really haven't. If your playing on PC then maybe but on console, definitely not.

Odd how your quoting my comment that states no Nintendo games run in 60fps while claiming majority of games do. Nintendo are the prime example of how not necessary 60 fps is.

Interfectum

“60fps is next gen”
“You don’t play movies”

/rant

ice hockey laugh GIF by EASPORTSNHL

Kenpachii

No they really haven't. If your playing on PC then maybe but on console, definitely not.

Odd how your quoting my comment that states no Nintendo games run in 60fps while claiming majority of games do. Nintendo are the prime example of how not necessary 60 fps is.

That's your problem u play console games i did not.

I played halo combat evolved in 2001 at 60 fps+
Skateboard game from tony hawk at 60+ fps
warcraft 3 at 60+ fps
harry potter at 60+ fps
gothic at 60+ fps
counterstrike at 200+ fps
the sims at 60+ fps
hitman 60+ fps.

I have been high hz gaming for most of my life as even 20 years ago i was already sitting with 100hz screens with CRT which i would say its superior motion wise then we have even now.

Going back to 30 fps is like riding a horse on a high way. Yes everybody did so back in the day and it was acceptable. now however not so much.

So when a console gamer says "oh they can't play a 30 fps game its bullshit" its not. If my game sits at 30/40 or whatever below 60. I will close it down uninstall it and refund it and revisit it until either the game is fixed or better hardware is on the market. A good example is RDR2.

Hell even 60 is a pain, 80 fps is the real low end, with preferable 100+ fps.

Last edited:
Lol I did a quick Google search and found your reddit thread. You kicked it off with "Ever since I saw this game I wanted a 30fps mode" then started making snarky, defensive comments when people responded to it and called them triggered..

Also yes 30fps is ruining gaming and it should be a bannable offense in 2021
I'm just stating the truth. When a game is going for that animated movie style, I want 30fps and every time there was an article about the game, I'd ask if there would be a 30fps mode.

2. "Why can’t people have preferences and like what they like?" -- This applies to you too and you should respect their opinions.
I don't hate on anyone that wants to play the mode they like. When have I ever done that? If you like 60fps, then that's fine with me. However, I was actually genuinely excited for 30fps 4K mode in Kena and people jumped down my throat like I offended them with my excitement hah. They were so triggered by it. I posted it because I was happy that there was a mode for the dozens of us out there that will use it and I wanted to post it so that other people like me would know too before buying the game. There's nothing worse than buying a game that you thought would be fun, but there's loads stuttering or screen tearing, so I like to do my research before hand to make sure I'm getting a quality game. Man, I really miss demos.

Plantoid

For the last 10 years I've been a PC gamer and never experienced a game that was 30fps, of course I did play Nintendo games but that were some 20years ago, times change.

For the last 10 years I've been a PC gamer and never experienced a game that was 30fps, of course I did play Nintendo games but that were some 20years ago, times change.
I've always been a console gamer. Tried PC gaming for a couple years and while sometimes it was nice, there was a lot I didn't like about it. I definitely miss FreeSync though.

Banned

Mario Galaxy, 60fps
Mario Galaxy 2, 60fps
Mario 3D World, 60fps
Mario Odyssey, 60fps
Splatoon, 60fps
Splatoon 2, 60fps
Mario Kart Wii, 60fps
Mario Kart 8, 60fps
Super Smash Bros Melee, 60fps
Super Smash Bros Brawl, 60fps
Super Smash Bros 4, 60fps
Super Smash Bros Ultimate, 60fps
F-Zero X, 60fps
F-Zero GX, 60fps
Arms, 60fps
Every Kirby game, 60fps
EVERY NINTENDO GAME RELEASED ON NES and SNES, 60fps

Plantoid

I've always been a console gamer. Tried PC gaming for a couple years and while sometimes it was nice, there was a lot I didn't like about it. I definitely miss FreeSync though.
I understand, but for me PERSONALLY, it's impossible to withstand 30fps, I only bought a xsx because of the promise that every game would have 60fps mode, if wasn't for this I would've stick to PC gaming

MikeM

You have a differing opinion than a lot of other people. You were also on reddit.

Personally, 30 fps is a no-no. The Medium was "fine" but I would have much preferred a 60fps mode. Anytime there is a 30fps or 60fps, its ALWAYS 60 fps. If 120fps (Doom, COD, etc) then ALWAYS 120fps.

You have a differing opinion than a lot of other people. You were also on reddit.

Personally, 30 fps is a no-no. The Medium was "fine" but I would have much preferred a 60fps mode. Anytime there is a 30fps or 60fps, its ALWAYS 60 fps. If 120fps (Doom, COD, etc) then ALWAYS 120fps.
I’m also kinda old. 38. I grew up playing on console and there’s something kinda magical and immersive about 30fps. I know you disagree but that’s just how I feel. I’m glad TLOU2 kept the ability to still play at 30, but some games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Horizon Zero Dawn, they force you to play at 60fps and take away your choice.

Soodanim

OP your opinion is a generation too late.

Lets face it, console players enjoyed 30 fps because most of the time you haven't experienced 60 fps.

I've been playing 144 Hz last few years, and now with 1440p 165hz display.

As a PC Gamer 60 fps has been crap for a long time.

You don't get max fidelity because 30 fps that's not how it works.

Capping 30 fps to get max fidelity is because of crap hardware struggling.

I run warframe 1440 p g sync capped 160 and even though everything's ultra, as in you can't get better graphics, my gfx card goes fucking insane because I play v sync off and it just spits several hundreds of frames.

I even had to downclock my grafic card because my card spits so many pictures out.

30 fps is crap. Always has been. The reason why more console players are disagreeing with you now is because more has experienced hideous 60 fps and even 120 fps.
Are you saying you'd rather downclock your GPU than set a global framecap? That way you don't need to worry about games that didn't include a cap throwing out 1000fps and subjecting you to coil whine and a burned out GPU

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Are you saying you'd rather downclock your GPU than set a global framecap? That way you don't need to worry about games that didn't include a cap throwing out 1000fps and subjecting you to coil whine and a burned out GPU
Problem with global frame cap is it only limits how many frames you see, it still produces additional frames.

Derktron

Banned
One thing is good to come out of Reddit. ----- They agree with the fact that 60fps is a key to gaming and 30fps is pathetic and should be destroyed!

Tv Show Lol GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom