• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People seem to think I’m ruining gaming because I like 30fps…

Dunky

We were told before this generation games would still be 30 frames per second on consoles look how wrong they've been. More and more games are doing 60fps.

Why would you want less? It's like saying 480p is better than 4k.

Soodanim

Problem with global frame cap is it only limits how many frames you see, it still produces additional frames.
That can't be true at all. I run a 141 cap via RTSS, and if what you said was true my GPU would always be maxed out because it would be producing 10,000 frames in old games even though it only needs 1/100th of that.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
That can't be true at all. I run a 141 cap via RTSS, and if what you said was true my GPU would always be maxed out because it would be producing 10,000 frames in old games even though it only needs 1/100th of that.
Ok I'm lying then. Gonna wash my gfx cards mouth with soap.

Whitecrow

Banned
You aren't ruining anything, you simply prefer inferior performance and the internet is quick to remind you of the fact.
Where's the law, or the scientific study, that higher framerate is better than higher resolution in 100% of the cases?

I'll tell you the only fact here: the internet is stupid.

The_Mike

You are just wrong. Driver level fps cap will stop GPU from producing more frames. In game fps caps are usually broken anyway (framepacing...).
I have fps cap in nvidia control panel but even with that my gfx card screams and have 100 percent usage all the time.

If I downclock it I have the exactly same performance but less heat on my gfx card.

My gfx card was 83 degrees /105 before dc, and after dc 68/78 without noticeable performance difference.

Armorian

Banned
I have fps cap in nvidia control panel but even with that my gfx card screams and have 100 percent usage all the time.

If I downclock it I have the exactly same performance but less heat on my gfx card.

My gfx card was 83 degrees /105 before dc, and after dc 68/78 without noticeable performance difference.

This is weird. Simple vsync should drop GPU usage like a stone, same for fps caps.

Armorian

Banned
That's the trick. I ain't using v sync cus I can't stand the input lag.

Dou you have VRR monitor? With vsync and fps cap ~3 frames below monitor refresh rate you should have the same input lag as without vsync. There is a YouTube channel teaching people about this stuff, I'm on a phone so can't find it.

The_Mike

Dou you have VRR monitor? With vsync and fps cap ~3 frames below monitor refresh rate you should have the same input lag as without vsync. There is a YouTube channel teaching people about this stuff, I'm on a phone so can't find it.
Not a vrr, but a g sync monitor. G sync still adds input lag, however it's the closest of the sync options.

And I can still feel the input lag. I am very sensitive regard this.

ViolentP

Where's the law, or the scientific study, that higher framerate is better than higher resolution in 100% of the cases?

I'll tell you the only fact here: the internet is stupid.

Nowhere. Not everything people enjoy has to be because it's the best. People are quick to forget that.

MikeM

I’m also kinda old. 38. I grew up playing on console and there’s something kinda magical and immersive about 30fps. I know you disagree but that’s just how I feel. I’m glad TLOU2 kept the ability to still play at 30, but some games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Horizon Zero Dawn, they force you to play at 60fps and take away your choice.

You're basically the same age as me lol

Also, I forgot to mention that 60fps with drops looks terrible to me. So either give me 60fps that’s almost flawless or give me 30fps with perfect frame pacing. None of this 45-50fps crap like Deathloop on balanced mode.

Banned
I’m also kinda old. 38. I grew up playing on console and there’s something kinda magical and immersive about 30fps. I know you disagree but that’s just how I feel. I’m glad TLOU2 kept the ability to still play at 30, but some games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Horizon Zero Dawn, they force you to play at 60fps and take away your choice.

you grew up playing 60fps console games if you are 38, because at 38 you were a kid during the NES and SNES times, and most of those games ran at 60fps. this means if you grew up with consoles you grew up with 60fps

also during the PS2 generation 60fps was very common on console, especially on Dreamcast. only with the PS360 era did it shift to 30fps as the standard.

even on Handhelds like the GameBoy and Gameboy color 60fps was normal, the rule not the exception.

basically, when 30fps became normal you were already 23 years old

Last edited:
you gre up playing 60fps console games if you are 38, because at 38 you were a kod during the NES and SNES times, and most of those games ran at 60fps.

also during the PS2 generation 60fps was very common on console, especially on Dreamcast. only with the PS360 era did it shift to 30fps as the standard.

even on Handhelds like the GameBoy and Gameboy color 60fps was normal, the rule not the exception.

basically, when 30fps became normal you were already 23 years old
My best memories of gaming were during the PS3/PS4 era. I only played a handful of PS2 games (Silent Hill mostly).

Favorite games were Infamous, Uncharted and TLOU series as well as stuff like Tomb Raider and DriveClub. I also really enjoyed AC3.

Oh well.

Banned
My best memories of gaming were during the PS3/PS4 era. I only played a handful of PS2 games (Silent Hill mostly).

Favorite games were Infamous, Uncharted and TLOU series as well as stuff like Tomb Raider and DriveClub. I also really enjoyed AC3.

Oh well.

so you are 38, and you "grew up with consoles", why even bring that up when in the end that era of your life wasn't significant part for games for you?

I grew up with 30fps, My first system was a PS1, and games on that thing often even struggled to run at 30fps, I played Driver at ~20fps with bad PAL conversion.
and because I grew up playing shitty framerates I was blown away when the Dreamcast had top of the line graphics all running at 60fps.

30fps has to die out, it has to be phased out, and this console gen has the chance to be the one to do it. basically every game so far runs at 60fps which was never before seen on 3D consoles aside from maybe the Dreamcast, but even that had its fair share of 30fps games in its first year.

And I really don't understand how anyone cpuld prefer 30fps, all that gives you is worse clarity, worse input latency and therefore worse gameplay and it gives you worse immersion.

so I really hope we soon see games that don't even bother offering 30fps graphics modes anymore and just focus 100% of the development on optimising 60fps or 120fps modes.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
LOL I remember when the PS2 specs first came out and I thought to myself “WOW 6.4 GFLOPs, surely all games from now on will be 60 FPS!!”

We are so close to realizing that dream now, over 20 years later. I hope that if/when the “pro” console versions come out, they will be able to run “quality mode” settings at 60 FPS and that’ll be the end of 30 FPS console games for good.

Hargate

Stop settling for less. Just because you like the taste of the shit sandwich you are eating doesn't change the fact that its still a shit sandwich.

Also yes i play 30fps for decades its about time we ask for better and stop settling for less.

Stop settling for less. Just because you like the taste of the shit sandwich you are eating doesn't change the fact that its still a shit sandwich.

Also yes i play 30fps for decades its about time we ask for better and stop settling for less.
To me it’s not less. To me it means higher quality visuals. You can always get more detail at 30fps because you have 33ms to render each frame. The longer the render times, the more you can do in each frame. Don’t be surprised when the real next gen games hit and they’re only 30fps again because the detail will be out of this world.

Hargate

To me it’s not less. To me it means higher quality visuals. You can always get more detail at 30fps because you have 33ms to render each frame. The longer the render times, the more you can do in each frame. Don’t be surprised when the real next gen games hit and they’re only 30fps again because the detail will be out of this world.
Your extra details mean fuck all without fluid gameplay. I've been playing since text games and zork the graphics are fine a little bit more for losing that amazing fluid movements and shit. You can play better and its more natural, stop settling.

You. Are. Wrong. Period.

I will die on this hill you low frame rate people are a plague that needs to be wiped out from gaming.

Hargate

And now I will tell you all why you are wrong and why we despise you 30 fps bunch. Since the beginning of gaming it has always been 30 FPS standard. Only until recently has 60+ fps has become an option. We could move into the future where 60+ fps is standard and everything else is optional, BUT unfortunately we are being shackled to these delusional 30fps people who think just because the graphics are slightly better it makes the game better. How about instead you all sit the fuck down and let the rest of use move into the future.

Last edited:
Your extra details mean fuck all without fluid gameplay. I've been playing since text games and zork the graphics are fine a little bit more for losing that amazing fluid movements and shit. You can play better and its more natural, stop settling.

You. Are. Wrong. Period.

I will die on this hill you low frame rate people are a plague that needs to be wiped out from gaming.
To you, yes.

30 fps is fine for most games, sans bayonetta or fighters. Not ideal for racers, but a ton of great racers have been 30 so even then it is ok.

Heck, even 20fps on n64 titles (and that framerate is made more tolerable due to the relative lack of animation frames) is tolerable if your display has good motion, upscaling and response time.

The people saying 30fps is unplayable are really saying : "sniff. Ah. I love PC gaming, and I don't have to choose 30fps. What's that? All those classic games that are 30 or lower? Pure trash." *thinks assassins creed 20 is good because they play at 120fps*

The people that say 60fps is barely playable are just PC dorks taking the piss.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
It's one thing to be okay with a game running 30fps. It's another thing to prefer it to 60fps. I can't wrap my brain around that. Your preference is your preference, of course. I just don't understand it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably the first 60 fps 3D racing game I played was Daytona USA. And it wasnt even at an arcade. It was at some arcade/gaming convention at Exhibition Stadium where it might not had even been in arcades yet. Giant line and everyone got one play and had to let the next guy in line play. I think we paid an entrance fee and every demo station in there was free to test out. It was jammed.

Probably the smoothest 3D racing I played up to that time was Virtua Racing in the deluxe cockpit cabinet for $1 per play!

And any other 3D racer I played on PC (like Indy 500) was definitely not 60 fps.

Right away you can tell the awesome smoothness playing 60 fps. Then when more 3D arcade games came out like Tekken and seeing PS1 Toshinden play, 30 fps looked like a drag (more like "up to 30 fps"). Still serviceable at the time because most 3D games werent 60 fps so you had no choice but to suck it up.

Ive never seen 120 fps. My tv doesn't do it and no monitor or laptop I've had can refresh that fast too. At some point later when I get a better tv I cant wait to see it and if it's much different than 60.

Last edited:
It's one thing to be okay with a game running 30fps. It's another thing to prefer it to 60fps. I can't wrap my brain around that. Your preference is your preference, of course. I just don't understand it.
I care about resolution and detail more than I care about frame rate. I’ve always been like this. The Uncharted series lost their epic ness when they went to 60 FPS in the remasters. They just don’t look right running so fast.

Also, more motion detail means that things like pop-in, terrain streaming, and LOD transitions stick out like a sore thumb.

Mods I had my comment deleted. I thought it was obvious that I was joking, I myself will play 30 fps games no problem, sorry about that 🤷‍♂️

Soodanim

Have you looked into the issue or spoken to anyone about it? It's honestly the first claim I've ever heard of frames being rendered past the frame cap, let alone enough to warrant a downclock. I think something about whatever you have set up has gone wrong if your GPU is rendering 500 frames when you have capped to 160.
LOL I remember when the PS2 specs first came out and I thought to myself “WOW 6.4 GFLOPs, surely all games from now on will be 60 FPS!!”

We are so close to realizing that dream now, over 20 years later. I hope that if/when the “pro” console versions come out, they will be able to run “quality mode” settings at 60 FPS and that’ll be the end of 30 FPS console games for good.
Devs finally gave people the choice and they chose, at least enough for others to follow in those footsteps. It helps that it's less about pretty screenshots these days and more about videos showing gameplay (although pretty 30fps still has a large market).

You. Are. Wrong. Period.

Let's not play silly bollocks and pretend that you're so important that your opinion is somehow fact. I don't like 30fps, but it doesn't make me right. He's allowed to like 30fps, even if he's a dirty little heathen.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Half Baked Boo GIF

lukilladog

I just can´t get a comfortable sense of smoothnes @30fps on modern displays, I need 37fps/74hz as a minimum. I ´ve not played a 30fps game since I switched to lcd.

Dunky

Well even my mobile phone is 120hz and you're seeing games on a mobile phone doing 120fps. If consoles gets stuck at 30fps is going to be like having a black and white TV compared to an Oled.

MiguelItUp

>reddit

found the problem
This was what I was going to say more or less. People have their own preferences, and there's nothing wrong with that!

While I still reddit, I feel like the last couple of years have been annoying AF there, especially with subreddits that revolve around gaming or specific games. Majority of the time instead of it being people that are fans of said game, it's flowing with entitled "fans" just constantly bitching. It quickly becomes an echo chamber of all these people bitching, lol. If anyone disagrees with the bitching, they're mocked, downvoted, etc. It's pretty mind numbing.

I just hit my 11 year cake day not long ago and I decided I'd start pulling back on commenting because it just got really stupid. 🤷‍♂️

You're not ruining gaming, you're just a luddite. Sometimes it's easier to just call someone an idiot and move on. Gets the point across without wasting too much time lol.

Of course, I'm in the minority for wanting all media to be at least 60 FPS standard. This includes movies. So, whatever! Post an unpopular opinion on the internet, get slammed by anonymous people.

Last edited:

BreakOut

I’ll get the knife, you tie him down.
But for real, whatever. I hate it. I like Insomniacs 40fps/120Hz thing. Feels good and doesn’t sacrifice so much.

Last edited:
So I just played a little bit of Kena and even with the controller speed set to the highest, the camera feels sluggish in both 60 and 30fps so I’m just gonna keep it on 30 to enjoy the higher resolution. Man, this game looks so goooooooood.

Genx3

Is it really that difficult to make every game have 3 options:
4K 30FPS Quality mode,
Dynamic 4K 60 FPS using VRS balanced mode
Dynamic 1440P 120 FPS VRS performance mode

Top Bottom