• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People seem to think I’m ruining gaming because I like 30fps…

Gamerguy84

Smooth 30 is playable. I think 60 is better because it's so much smoother and your not exactly admiring the candy while playing plus it's not far off.

The best solution has been the inclusion of both 30/resolution quality or 60/fps mode. In control I used both.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Oddly enough I still don't have a problem with the N64s frame rate unless it's Perfect Dark in some scenarios.

Still, for a fast paced game even 60 feels bad.

Genx3

40 hz for 120 hz televisions (like Ratchet and Clank) needs to become a much bigger thing for high fidelity games. I really like that mode a lot.

Really hoping they can pull it off for Forza Horizon 5.
Xbox series has VRR they can run it at 45 FPS if they want RE8 does this already.

Mercador

It depends on the game really. For FPS (genre), 60+fps is a must but right now I play Tales around 40-50fps because 4K is so pretty. I doesn't bother me that much. In battle though, I got around 60fps so that's fine.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I find it funny that the more we advance, the less and further from consistent 60fps we get, in favor of 30 fps..

You'd think that with better hardware this wouldn't be such an issue. It's just an easy way to get a better visual experience.

Last edited:
I've played plenty of games where the FPS was awful but I still enjoyed my experience. Good for you OP for not letting others' opinions affect your love for gaming the way you like. Enjoy games how you want to enjoy them and tell everyone who disagrees with that to kindly shove it.

XXL

Sure, 60fps nice but, most GOTY winners and candidates are 30fps....

It's just forum badasses that say cringey shit like that. If they did IRL people would make fun of them to no end.

Don't pay any attention to it, they're clowns.

S0ULZB0URNE

the trick is to not be a little bitch
A08XJBN.gif

rushgore

Though the people on mainstream subreddits are quite lame and not really knowledgeable, I agree with them on this.

But this should mean nothing to you, play it however you like. Options are always good.

Tschumi

Vartiations in FPS have been a thing for decades.

It's only exercising fanboys here because it's been made a thing by content producers. It's become a buzzword.

If the game is meant to be 30, I'll play it at 30. If it's meant to be 60, 60. If I need to buy a $5000 computer to play games at 120FPS for the next 2 years, I'm gonna buy a nice road bike instead.

Fbh

If you like it then just enjoy the game the way you prefer, people online love to make a big deal about everything (Reddit in particular).
IMO 30fps is fine as long as it's consistent and has proper framepacing. I've been switching a lot between 30fps and 60fps games in recent years (depends on which platforms and how visually demanding) and I've yet to see how 30fps is anywhere close "unplayable".

To me it's all about the trade off. I'll gladly take 60fps over native 4K, ray traced reflections or slightly better visuals. At the same time we are still early on in the gen and the vast majority of games are cross gen, I do think as the generation goes on we will get more 30fps games or the trade offs for 60fps might become more significant, at which point I could see myself opting for 30fps modes in some games.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

Never understood the 60 fps crowd, I couldn't tell the difference if there was a gun to my head. I will take an improvement in resolution any day, I can't stand blurry low-res gaming.

Razvedka

Banned
Nah. I game at 120-160fps on PC and I can go and play Ratchet and Clank on PS5 at 30fps. More is better, but it's not the end of the world.

I personally favor consoles at 30(ish) and pushing boundaries & tech. Scale, graphics technology & techniques. Let the PC scene crank up the fps and bells and whistles.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

One does not simply like 30fps through preference. You're just settling and delusional. It's okay to have higher expectations.

I like both for certain things. Would never play anything competitive/multiplayer at lower fps (stuff like FFXIV at 140+fps is great but I still don’t notice a world of difference from 60)

But I found myself preferring FF7R Intermission’s visuals at 30fps 4k as opposed to the 60fps for example

Who cares what other people think though. More options the better

Last edited:

Rea

You have rights to what you like. Ignore them and move on. For me personally, i like some games with 30fps, for fast action games 60fps is a must.

Banned
So I posted on Reddit how excited I was to know Kena is getting a 30fps mode and people decided to just crap all over me as if it’s my fault that they included that mode.

“You’re dumb if you like 30fps”
“60fps is always better, if you want cinematic, watch a movie”
“Can’t wait to play at 8K/15fps, that would blow your mind”
“I can’t understand how anyone can LIKE 30fps”
“60fps is next gen”
“You don’t play movies”
“Have fun with your juddery slide show”
“You won’t notice a difference between 4K and 60fps mode but you will notice a difference between 30 and 60fps”
“30fps has too much input lag”
“Nobody wants 30fps, why are you excited?”

Why can’t people have preferences and like what they like? They act as if it bothers them greatly that someone else out there likes something they don’t. How did we ever put up with 30fps games for the past 15+ years if 30fps is simply unplayable?

Also, their brains pretty much explode when I tell them I would cap my games to 30fps on PC for maximum graphical fidelity.

“Who cares, you can’t see all that detail once you’re moving!” — umm yeah I can and you know what else I can see? A blurry image at 60fps.

Why would the devs put the 30fps mode there if people like me didn’t exist? If 60fps is 100% always better, then why not just force 60fps on everything and not even give us a choice?

Even though it’s an optional choice, they still seem to think their way is always superior like they’re PCMR all of a sudden. Why did everyone turn into frame rate snobs over night? Where have the graphics/image quality whores gone?

/rant

30FPS is bad, that's simply how it is. and yes you will not see any detail as soon as you move. because 30fps games usually use camera motion blur, and combine that with the diminished clarity 60fps brings (+ a potentially bad pixel response time of your TV panel) and you will have a blurry mess whenever you move even a little.

this means 30fps+higher resolution is only good for taking screenshots, as soon as you move it will be a mess, and it feels worse to play.
making the most integral part of videogames, the interactivity, feel worse is just a bad idea.

and yeah, I also shit on anyone who prefers 30fps over 60fps, because 30fps is just bad for gaming and was a terrible trend in the last 2 gens that should die out and never come back, the trend of developers prioritizing screenshots to sell games over playability. and I can understand when people are concerned that if more of you exist out there, casual players that don't really care for gameplay, that developers and publishers will go back to that 30fps standard to push graphics in order to sell to casual players.

we heard it from the mouth of Insomniac during the late PS3 and PS4 era, where they saw no PR benefit to 60fps but saw a benefit in offering "the best graphics possible" because you can show that in trailers and screenshots.
and if that comes back, people like you are at fault, because you tolerate worse gameplay because you want the shiny eyecandy instead.

Last edited:
60 fps needs to be standard!! Adjust graphics accordingly and res shouldn't drop below 1440p if you need to lower the graphics then do it and quit getting people expecting something that looks so good but you know it's gonna run like crap

Banned
It depends on the game.

the only games that are tolerable and don't play worse at 30fps are Text Adventures, Graphics Adventures and turn based games like RPGs. everything else is only really good at 60fps
30fps might be tolerable but it's tolerable in the same way as watching youtube videos at 360p is tolerable whenever your connection sucks and you have no other choice

Last edited:
How can we see a trailer at 30fps and go “wow that game looks incredible” but then you can’t play it at 30fps because it’s a slideshow? You say 30fps is only for screenshots but I can see perfectly fine in 30fps. It doesn’t look like a slide show and the game looks very detailed and pretty. Ratchet and Clank was insane on fidelity mode. A lot of stuff is cut back in 60fps RT mode that I didn’t find it quite appealing. For one, the whole game was blurry not crisp and some effects seemed toned down and ratchet looked like he had less fur etc.

Given the choice between Fidelity or Performance, I almost always choose fidelity. However, Little Nightmares 2’s fidelity mode had frame pacing issues which turned me off so I played it in performance mode and it still had RT!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So I posted on Reddit how excited I was to know Kena is getting a 30fps mode and people decided to just crap all over me as if it’s my fault that they included that mode.

“You’re dumb if you like 30fps”
“60fps is always better, if you want cinematic, watch a movie”
“Can’t wait to play at 8K/15fps, that would blow your mind”
“I can’t understand how anyone can LIKE 30fps”
“60fps is next gen”
“You don’t play movies”
“Have fun with your juddery slide show”
“You won’t notice a difference between 4K and 60fps mode but you will notice a difference between 30 and 60fps”
“30fps has too much input lag”
“Nobody wants 30fps, why are you excited?”

Why can’t people have preferences and like what they like? They act as if it bothers them greatly that someone else out there likes something they don’t. How did we ever put up with 30fps games for the past 15+ years if 30fps is simply unplayable?

Also, their brains pretty much explode when I tell them I would cap my games to 30fps on PC for maximum graphical fidelity.

“Who cares, you can’t see all that detail once you’re moving!” — umm yeah I can and you know what else I can see? A blurry image at 60fps.

Why would the devs put the 30fps mode there if people like me didn’t exist? If 60fps is 100% always better, then why not just force 60fps on everything and not even give us a choice?

Even though it’s an optional choice, they still seem to think their way is always superior like they’re PCMR all of a sudden. Why did everyone turn into frame rate snobs over night? Where have the graphics/image quality whores gone?

/rant

Well there is your first mistake, you tried to have a discussion on Reddit. Do yourself a favour and never use it again. Reddit is a cesspool.

Secondly, nothing wrong with liking 30 FPS. I noticed there are two types of people who cry about FPS:
1.) Platform Warriors (typically PCMR)
2.) "Hardcore" gamers. The ones who think they are hardcore, at any rate. Only ever play AAA titles, disregard everything that isn't modern day AAA titles as being for kids or shit.

The reality is most actual hardcore gamers, y'know the ones with an actual passion for the medium, don't give a rat's arse about graphical fidelity or FPS. They may have preferences, but they won't dismiss or claim a game is unplayable. They play everything from 8 bit titles that ran at 10 FPS to the most well optimized PC ports that run at 120+.

If you like 30 FPS? That is fantastic. Some prefer 60. Some prefer 120, but anyone claiming they literally cannot play anything below 60 is a simple troll. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

the only games that are tolerable and don't play worse at 30fps are Text Adventures, Graphics Adventures and turn based games like RPGs. everything else is only really good at 60fps
30fps might be tolerable but it's tolerable in the same way as watching youtube videos at 360p is tolerable whenever your connection sucks and you have no other choice
Would you like it better if that 360p video was 120fps to have maximum motion clarity? Haha. That’s how I feel about 60fps. It looks blurry to me so I usually prefer higher resolution.

Banned
Well there is your first mistake, you tried to have a discussion on Reddit. Do yourself a favour and never use it again. Reddit is a cesspool.

Secondly, nothing wrong with liking 30 FPS. I noticed there are two types of people who cry about FPS:
1.) Platform Warriors (typically PCMR)
2.) "Hardcore" gamers. The ones who think they are hardcore, at any rate. Only ever play AAA titles, disregard everything that isn't modern day AAA titles as being for kids or shit.

The reality is most actual hardcore gamers, y'know the ones with an actual passion for the medium, don't give a rat's arse about graphical fidelity or FPS. They may have preferences, but they won't dismiss or claim a game is unplayable. They play everything from 8 bit titles that ran at 10 FPS to the most well optimized PC ports that run at 120+.

If you like 30 FPS? That is fantastic. Some prefer 60. Some prefer 120, but anyone claiming they literally cannot play anything below 60 is a simple troll. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I cry about FPS while being none of the strawmen you described. 30fps sucks, end of story... just because I also play GoldenEye on N64 at 20fps doesn't mean I can't also be of the opinion that low framerates are bad for videogames and are only even a thing because of A: bad hardware that is hard to actually utilize or B: game developers wanting to sell games with shiny trailers and screenshots.

no game designer that is good at his job would ever design a game to run at 30fps, because it's simply not good. it's a compromise, nothing more. they want to sell games with graphics because that's easy, you can't bring across good playability on a compressed to death youtube trailer which you can't actually play and feel.

so just because "actual hardcore gamers" like me who play freaking GTA Vice City at 30fps because running it higher breaks the physics complain about framerate doesn't mean we don't play 30 or even 20fps games... it means we think it sucks that these games run at 30 or 20fps, which it always does, it never does not suck that these games run at low framerates.
hence why I will never ever play the original N64 version of Perfect Dark ever again, outside of maybe looking back at it and get some nostalgia, because on Xbox 360/One/Series you can play the game at 60fps and up to 4K with 2x MSAA and the game is a dozen times more enjoyable that way.
meanwhile I can't play God Hand at 60fps because it's locked to its framerate, but I still love the game, even tho I can acknowledge that it sucks that it runs and is locked to 30fps

Banned
Would you like it better if that 360p video was 120fps to have maximum motion clarity? Haha. That’s how I feel about 60fps. It looks blurry to me so I usually prefer higher resolution.

no because I can't feel a non interactive youtube video... but I can feel the camera movement, button response and overall gamefeel, and all that is worse at 30fps in a big way.
also in a youtube video you don't move your camera in order to spot enemies or specific items, which also feels so much worse at 30fps because of the way worse motion clarity

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I cry about FPS while being none of the strawmen you described. 30fps sucks, end of story... just because I also play GoldenEye on N64 at 20fps doesn't mean I can't also be of the opinion that low framerates are bad for videogames and are only even a thing because of A: bad hardware that is hard to actually utilize or B: game developers wanting to sell games with shiny trailers and screenshots.

no game designer that is good at his job would ever design a game to run at 30fps, because it's simply not good. it's a compromise, nothing more. they want to sell games with graphics because that's easy, you can't bring across good playability on a compressed to death youtube trailer which you can't actually play and feel.

so just because "actual hardcore gamers" like me who play freaking GTA Vice City at 30fps because running it higher breaks the physics complain about framerate doesn't mean we don't play 30 or even 20fps games... it means we think it sucks that these games run at 30 or 20fps, which it always does, it never does not suck that these games run at low framerates.
hence why I will never ever play the original N64 version of Perfect Dark ever again, outside of maybe looking back at it and get some nostalgia, because on Xbox 360/One/Series you can play the game at 60fps and up to 4K with 2x MSAA and the game is a dozen times more enjoyable that way.
meanwhile I can't play God Hand at 60fps because it's locked to its framerate, but I still love the game, even tho I can acknowledge that it sucks that it runs and is locked to 30fps

You are the literal embodiment of what I wrote. Congrats.

no because I can't feel a non interactive youtube video... but I can feel the camera movement, button response and overall gamefeel, and all that is worse at 30fps in a big way.
also in a youtube video you don't move your camera in order to spot enemies or specific items, which also feels so much worse at 30fps because of the way worse motion clarity
But how can you tell the graphics look good while the game is moving in a trailer? I mean, its a slideshow after all and only useful for screenshots ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No idea how we ever played some of the greatest games of all time at 30fps or lower.

MrJTeera

anyone claiming they literally cannot play anything below 60 is a simple troll. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
This.

“Wah! You’re ruining my graphics performance. Wah! You low framerate fucks are degenerates. Wah! This is ruining my gaming experience, even though it didn’t ruin anyone a decade ago. I am the future, old man!”

Fuck off. Don’t a such a snob.

Rexket

Neo Member
But how can you tell the graphics look good while the game is moving in a trailer? I mean, its a slideshow after all and only useful for screenshots ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No idea how we ever played some of the greatest games of all time at 30fps or lower.
Some great games were at 30fps 20 years ago. Clearly this means we shouldn’t improve that. Let’s also dial back the graphical detail to n64 polygons. It was good enough back then, it’s good enough now.

Knightime_X

RE4 is one of my the best game ever

30fps

Silent Hill 2 is one of my the best game ever

30fps

Final Fantasy IX is one of my best game ever

20 fps on battle, 15fps on world map....

EDIT : Excuse me... I'm european... 25fps
Re4 was 30fps now made even BETTER with newer versions being 60fps.

Artistic

While I prefer 60FPS over 30FPS(even better when a game is 4K/60FPS), 30 doesn't make or break a game. Such silly logic.

Arsic

Gold Member
Very few games have ever felt good at 30FPS to me in the last 5 to 7 years. And when those games are given 60FPS modes it is night and day.

Try to play FF7 remake at visual mode then performance. It becomes a sideshow when you can do the side by side.

Red Dead 2 for example is also caca in sub 60fps.

Oddly enough Last of Us 2 felt just groovy at 30fps on a ps4 pro.

Top Bottom