• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People seem to think I’m ruining gaming because I like 30fps…

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm also perfectly fine with 30 fps gaming. I'll take all the details/graphics that I can get.

Try to play FF7 remake at visual mode then performance. It becomes a sideshow when you can do the side by side.
To me playing at 60 fps made the game seem really blurry so I preferred 4K 30 fps.
I can understand others having a different preference though.

Last edited:

trikster40

I’m fine with 30 too. Just finished Ac Valhalla on quality. Now Deathloop, I went 4K 60, couldn’t tell that ray tracing added anything of value.

dano1

A Sheep
As long as it never goes below 30 I would rather have pretty graphics! Played Ratchet and Clank that way.

NikuNashi

You can play 30fps, I'm actually jealous if you can enjoy that, I unfortunately cannot. After Demons Souls PS5 at 60fps I cant go back now.

elliot5

While not minding 30 fps is fine, actively preferring it over higher frames even at similar settings is kinda whack. But you do you OP just enjoy your games

Traxtech

Also a fan depending on the game, but it also depends solely on the motion blur used... Insomniac/naughty dog wins in this regard where unfortunately most developers fuck up.

Hoping more developers do 40fps/120hz tbh, that shit was amazing on ratchet

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So I posted on Reddit how excited I was to know Kena is getting a 30fps mode and people decided to just crap all over me as if it’s my fault that they included that mode.

“You’re dumb if you like 30fps”
“60fps is always better, if you want cinematic, watch a movie”
“Can’t wait to play at 8K/15fps, that would blow your mind”
“I can’t understand how anyone can LIKE 30fps”
“60fps is next gen”
“You don’t play movies”
“Have fun with your juddery slide show”
“You won’t notice a difference between 4K and 60fps mode but you will notice a difference between 30 and 60fps”
“30fps has too much input lag”
“Nobody wants 30fps, why are you excited?”

Why can’t people have preferences and like what they like? They act as if it bothers them greatly that someone else out there likes something they don’t. How did we ever put up with 30fps games for the past 15+ years if 30fps is simply unplayable?

Also, their brains pretty much explode when I tell them I would cap my games to 30fps on PC for maximum graphical fidelity.

“Who cares, you can’t see all that detail once you’re moving!” — umm yeah I can and you know what else I can see? A blurry image at 60fps.

Why would the devs put the 30fps mode there if people like me didn’t exist? If 60fps is 100% always better, then why not just force 60fps on everything and not even give us a choice?

Even though it’s an optional choice, they still seem to think their way is always superior like they’re PCMR all of a sudden. Why did everyone turn into frame rate snobs over night? Where have the graphics/image quality whores gone?

/rant
Im in constant war with the 60 FPS nerds, check my post history.

The fact is 30 fps makes for better looking games, which is more important than framerate in any of the style games I like.

ethomaz

Banned
You are fine.
A minority but vocal just like to overreact.

Games in 30fps are perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Rayderism

60fps is always better, naturally. But I can tolerate 30fps just fine, it's never been a priority for me. I'm more concerned that the game is fun to play rather than worrying about its framerate.

I'm the same way with resolutions. It's just not my biggest concern. I mean, what does it matter if a game is running at 120fps and 8K res if the game sucks? Fun-factor ALWAYS comes first in my book.

So I posted on Reddit how excited I was to know Kena is getting a 30fps mode and people decided to just crap all over me as if it’s my fault that they included that mode.

“60fps is next gen”
“You don’t play movies”
“You won’t notice a difference between 4K and 60fps mode but you will notice a difference between 30 and 60fps”

Why can’t people have preferences and like what they like? They act as if it bothers them greatly that someone else out there likes something they don’t. How did we ever put up with 30fps games for the past 15+ years if 30fps is simply unplayable?

Also, their brains pretty much explode when I tell them I would cap my games to 30fps on PC for maximum graphical fidelity.

“Who cares, you can’t see all that detail once you’re moving!” — umm yeah I can and you know what else I can see? A blurry image at 60fps.

Why would the devs put the 30fps mode there if people like me didn’t exist? If 60fps is 100% always better, then why not just force 60fps on everything and not even give us a choice?

Even though it’s an optional choice, they still seem to think their way is always superior like they’re PCMR all of a sudden. Why did everyone turn into frame rate snobs over night? Where have the graphics/image quality whores gone?

/rant
OP, I agree with you 100%. 30 fps can be a great experience in many cases for the reasons you mention.

Many people won't agree or understand but fortunately, we don't need their approval to have a different opinion (and vice-versa).

Who cares about what other people think anyway 🤷‍♂️

BigBooper

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

DelireMan7

I can't understand the "XX fps is unplayable" crowd. They just limiting the number of games they can play. (I mean some people call Bloodborne "unplayable" for being 30 fps... Their loss...)

I don't notice the difference between framerate. I just appreciate any game I want to play.

Play the games you want. As Jean-Paul Sartre said : "L'enfer c'est les autres" (Hell are the others people).

I’ve skipped plenty of 30fps or lower games and think that I’ll probably never play anything in 30fps again tbh. If it means waiting for PS6 or a PC version or even never playing something so be it.

Quite happy with whatever level graphics but if I’m interacting with something I want it to be smooth - I even installed something to unlock the frame rate on the latest Ace Attorney game and that made it look way better.

All else being equal more fps is always better and some of your comments seemed borderline trolling talking about filmic feel which has always been developer code for the hardware isn’t strong enough to push more fps so let’s say it’s cinematic.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
the spider man ps5 games and rift apart run smoothly for me at 30 fps but 30 fps for demon souls was trash and I had to go 60 fps

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I mean I do wonder how Cyberpunk would have gone if it was just for pc and/or next-gen. I personally feel catering to consoles fucked over development. Probably still could have come out janky anyway.

Hoppa

Lol I did a quick Google search and found your reddit thread. You kicked it off with "Ever since I saw this game I wanted a 30fps mode" then started making snarky, defensive comments when people responded to it and called them triggered..

Also yes 30fps is ruining gaming and it should be a bannable offense in 2021

GeorgPrime

Banned

“60fps is next gen”
“You don’t play movies”

/rant

I play games on 30 and 60 fps. I dont see rhe difference anyway.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
So I posted on Reddit
Here is your mistake. Dont post on Reddit. Dont post to seek validation for your beliefs.

30 fps is fine depending on the game.

Why can’t people have preferences and like what they like? They act as if it bothers them greatly that someone else out there likes something they don’t.
Because Reddit opinion is like an arse crack - everyone has one. Combine that with manchilds who cannot stand the idea that someone may enjoy something else than you do and there you go.

Where have the graphics/image quality whores gone?

/rant
Playing games instead of being bothered by what Martin ManChild has to tell me.

And so should you.

I'm with you OP. I'm a graphics whore and when I can get all the bells and whistles with a smooth 30fps like HZD or Spider-Man I'm always picking that option. Currently enjoying Deathloop in RT mode and having mucho fun. There are of course negative examples like Demon's Souls but generally I don't have a problem with 3o fps. ( MP shooter excluded. Gimme dat sweet 60fps)

I mean, some people like things that are worse performing and less convenient. Slower internet allowed more time to reflect. Next day delivery doesn’t give you time to appreciate an incoming package. Food at the store doesn’t let us know the satisfying of finally getting a kill after a week of no food. 30fps has its uses.
That got a good ol chuckle out of me right before work starts. Thx, mate.

First of all OP, if you like 30fps, all the power to you. Don't worry about what anyone else says and don't let others sway your opinion.

However, for an interactive medium, higher FPS is always better. It demonstrably and measurably improves the gameplay experience in terms of input precision, input lag, hand eye co-ordination, reaction times etc etc. So you can't blame the industry from moving on from the dated 30 fps. We were all stuck in prior gens 30fps because of technical limitations only and not because its the ideal standard.

You can prefer a classic car, but you can't expect the car industry to manufacture classic cars today. In all measurable metrics a typical modern car will beat a typical classic car. The market and the industry has moved on.

Same story for 30fps.

howitis3

after playing on pc with a 144mhz monitor with 144fps locked.... the idea of a game only having 30fps is incomprehensible. That said. I played games on the 3do and pc back in the day that ran at 15fps. you just don't know any better. same as me back in the day.

FourEyesGod

Neo Member
as for me, until recently, i always play all games on a shitty laptop and i am used to laggy and low fps. A few months ago i bought a new gaming laptop man, the difference is so big it brought tears to my eyes. But i still can play on 30fps with no problems. Even if i had to admit, 60 fps look smoother asf.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
What's the point of having nice graphics if when you pan horizontally it becomes a blurry, juddery mess? 30fps is a crime against gaming.
Exactly this. 30fps makes graphics also look worse when it's moving. It's not really a matter of preference anymore. You like graphics? 60fps is the best mode. You like performance? 60fps is still the way to go.

30fps needs to go.

Last edited:

TonyK

Problem is to compare. If a great game with outstanding graphics was released today with only 30fps mode (the same as in PS4 era), people couldn't compare and simply enjoy the game. But people now test 60fps and then test for a few seconds the 30fps mode and obviously, they notice it moves worse. But, if you do the opposite, as for example I did in Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Spiderman Miles Morales or Ratchet And Clank, if you play several hours in Quality mode and then change to performance mode, then those games look poor graphically in comparison, simply as regular PS4 games but with higher framerate.

As somebody said. Play in PC at 24fps for a while and then change to 30, suddenly, 30fps seems buttery smooth. It's all in the comparison.

TonyK

First of all OP, if you like 30fps, all the power to you. Don't worry about what anyone else says and don't let others sway your opinion.

However, for an interactive medium, higher FPS is always better. It demonstrably and measurably improves the gameplay experience in terms of input precision, input lag, hand eye co-ordination, reaction times etc etc. So you can't blame the industry from moving on from the dated 30 fps. We were all stuck in prior gens 30fps because of technical limitations only and not because its the ideal standard.

You can prefer a classic car, but you can't expect the car industry to manufacture classic cars today. In all measurable metrics a typical modern car will beat a typical classic car. The market and the industry has moved on.

Same story for 30fps.
But, and this is a honest question for everyone, do you think we are really move to 60fps this generation? Or it is a fact of games being cross gen technically? Because I think that as soon the games become more demanding graphically, a lot of developers in console will return to 30 fps.

Dr. Suchong

I'd say 60 is better overall but if you prefer 30, I'm not going to cast aspersions on you.
Don't worry about it, just enjoy what you enjoy 👍

Dr.D00p

30fps is all about even frame pacing.

If the developers nail it, combined with nice subtle motion blur, 30fps is perfectly acceptable to me. It's why I run Cyperpunk 2077 @30fps RT Psycho on my 9900K/3080 PC, because both of those variables have been done correctly.

Dr. Suchong

I can still play Stunt race FX with a big smile on my face.
*Looks out of window to see pitchforks and torches being held aloft, en masse*

Duchess

People seem to think I’m ruining gaming because I like 30fps…​

You absolutely are, you heathen! My eyes were opened to the glories of 60fps gaming when I got my PS5. Now, if I install a title and it's 30fps, I can see that it's immediately unplayable and uninstall it faster than if it were a Unity game (and if it's Unity game, I invoke a time distortion effect to remove it before I installed it).

Join us new 60fps console devotees, along with our former PCMR enemies, now powerful allies, as we look towards a silky smooth future.

(copy and replace 60fps with 120fps and 30fps with 60fps when the time comes)

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Best thing from devs is to include both Quality and Performance Mode. I can't stand 30FPS anymore, but I expect, that many people does not care about high framerate. So give us both a let us decide what we want.

Top Bottom