• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People should be forced to keep a car for as long as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bowie

+1000 points MAF. People use cars like kids on training wheels recently. They start out nice and smooth, and a week later, start taking off and crashing into ditches. Only difference here is that you don't get a delicious snack to take your mind off of the wrecked vehicle.

Alucard

Banned
I'm not totally sure that I get what you're talking about, but I do agree that people should keep cars for as long as they can still run safely. There are people that buy cars like candy and it's just not cool...especially not for the environment. I dunno, I like to get the most out the things I own before tossing them to the side.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Creepy, as I was reading this thread I heard screeching brakes somewhere outside.

I hope it was a bad driver who died!

ShadowRed

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
I think it would lessen accidents on the road. Cause new car people cant drive worth shit.

Dude did someone wreck your car again? Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th time this has happened in a year. Maybe it's you.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
graphic6.jpg

Drivers of these need a cattleprod to the head. Especially soccer moms who think their 1mpg tank will protect their offspring from the horrors of a pile up.

The newest vehicle I have is an '81. The other two are a '66 and '68. Consequently, I am an extremely safe driver. Ok, actually, I am a safe driver no matter what. Not that I drive slow or anything, but I have some freaking coordination and common sense about driving that 98% of the people on the road seem to lack for some reason.

pff, im a great driver. Never been pulled over, never caused an accident, and I've driven 24,000 miles in less than 2 years. I get my drive time, but since I dont car hop all the fuck time I KNOW my car. I know what it can do and what I can do.

New car people cant fucking drive.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
But my new car, a 2004 New Beetle Convertible turbo, drives exactly the same as the car I replaced, a 2000 New Beetle sedan turbo. Does that count?

Gek54

Newer cars have better crumple zones, better braking and better handling on the whole. Newer cars are more likely to be safer for everyone on the road.

Edit: I agree with the H2 hatred. My Explorer is 4000lbs and its not that fun to drive, I cant imagine why people would want to heave that 8000lbs tank around town. 10mpg? Holy fuck.

bionic77

This whole idea of not needlessly replacing a older car that still works with a newer and better model is unamerican. MrAngryFace is clearly a pinko commie terrorist.

I remember reading a sci-fi story by J.G. Ballard called The Subliminal Man. In it the hero finds out that whenever the economy needs a boost, the electric traffic signs installed all over the interstates will subliminally flash:

BUY NOW BUY NOW BUY NOW

NEW CAR NEW CAR NEW CAR

BUY NOW NEW CAR

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Of course, that couldn't really happen, could it?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
In Arizona, this seems to be a ridiculous phenomenon. It seems that every family above the poverty line has to be a $36,000 Dodge Ram pickup literally every three years. You barely see any pre-2000 cars on the road sometimes. Maybe it would bother me less if people were buying nicer (and cheaper) cars rather than those monstrous ugly pickups and SUVs.

AstroLad said:
In Arizona, this seems to be a ridiculous phenomenon. It seems that every family above the poverty line has to be a $36,000 Dodge Ram pickup literally every three years. You barely see any pre-2000 cars on the road sometimes. Maybe it would bother me less if people were buying nicer (and cheaper) cars rather than those monstrous ugly pickups and SUVs.

How the hell are they supposed to compensate if they can't have a shiny new truck?

the whole big car in the city phenom is one of the reasons americans are considered obnoxious.

IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAUL STUFF OR DRIVE OFFROAD YOU DO NOT NEED GIANT VEHICLE YOU DUMBASS.

Ive seen so many clean ass trucks down here with a flawless bed and im like WTF FUCKERS I HATE YOU and then they smile all cocky and flash their 9/11 flag bumper sticker at me and are all like ITS AMERICA LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT! FREEDOM! NEVER FORGET!

bionic77

MrAngryFace said:
the whole big car in the city phenom is one of the reasons americans are considered obnoxious.

IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAUL STUFF OR DRIVE OFFROAD YOU DO NOT NEED GIANT VEHICLE YOU DUMBASS.

Ive seen so many clean ass trucks down here with a flawless bed and im like WTF FUCKERS I HATE YOU and then they smile all cocky and flash their 9/11 flag bumper sticker at me and are all like ITS AMERICA LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT! FREEDOM! NEVER FORGET!

*calls Department of Homeland Security*

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MrAngryFace said:

The terrorists hate gigantic, shiny pickup trucks that never get used for anything other than carrying a few bags of groceries, carrying golf clubs, and taking the kids to tennis lessons.

bionic77

AstroLad said:
The terrorists hate gigantic, shiny pickup trucks that never get used for anything other than carrying a few bags of groceries, carrying golf clubs, and taking the kids to tennis lessons.

That is very true. They are against our pickup trucks and freedom.

AstroLad said:

That is due to the influx of immigrants from other states. This state (metro Phx) has one of the fastest growing populations in the nation. Don't believe me? Ask around and tell me how may tries it will take before you find 3 people in a row born in Arizona. Many people are coming here for new jobs and as a result of that they buy cars and houses.

Me, I've had maybe 5 or 6 cars in the last 8 years. I get bored easily.

I gotta haul shit around sometimes for the company. I drive an old, primered up truck. I'm like a redneck in the suburbs. I get 10 mpg because it's fast, not because it's an underpowered piece of shit H2 or some deal like that.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Also, leases. Leases give people the opportunity to drive a more expensive car for little to no money down, and low monthly payments. After a few years, you just give the car back to the bank & get a new one. That's the primary reason why you see so many $30K plus cars on the road nowadays.

Error Macro said:
I gotta haul shit around sometimes for the company. I drive an old, primered up truck. I'm like a redneck in the suburbs. I get 10 mpg because it's fast, not because it's an underpowered piece of shit H2 or some deal like that.

^^^^^^
Only reason to have a truck. If you have to haul shit for work, then yes, you need a truck and I say thanks for contributing to the economy. If however, you got a truck but you work at a 9 to 5 job in a skyscraper and haven't been outside except to play golf with clients, you don't deserve a truck and need to be slapped for ruining the environment.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SteveMeister said:
Also, leases. Leases give people the opportunity to drive a more expensive car for little to no money down, and low monthly payments. After a few years, you just give the car back to the bank & get a new one. That's the primary reason why you see so many $30K plus cars on the road nowadays.

Yeah, leasing is definitely an enabler, but when I go to Chicago or NYC I don't see half the percentage of new cars I see here in Phoenix. Maybe people are just too lazy to get their AC's refilled with freon so they buy new cars instead.

ConfusingJazz said:

I went to this site, and while a little humorous, there are a couple of points that seem to be innaccurate:

The H2 is a gas guzzler. Because it has a gross vehicle weight rating over 8500 lbs, the US government does not require it to meet federal fuel efficiency regulations. Hummer isn't even required to publish its fuel economy (owners indicate that they get around 10 mpg for normal use). So while our brothers and sisters are off in the Middle East risking their lives to secure America's fossil fuel future, H2 drivers are pissing away our "spoils of victory" during each trip to the grocery store.

From everything that I've found, the curb weight of the H2 is 6400 lbs., which puts it more in line with many other vehicles, such as the Suburban, Tahoe, Expedition, Excursion, etc.

The H2 is a tax loophole. Under Bush's new tax plan, business owners can deduct the entire cost of their $55,000 H2. If you are in the highest tax bracket, that's a tax savings of nearly $20,000! The government rewards you more savings for buying an H2 than you'd get for buying an electric car.

Tax loophole? You can deduct the cost of any vehicle purchased by your company, if it is used solely for the purpose of procuring business, transporting goods, or other activity directly related to the functioning of your business. It has been this way for many, many years.

I'm not defending the H2; I hate them as much as the next guy. I really don't like the fact that they are really just a Tahoe chassis with an ugly-ass body on it. Hardly any real off-road capability at all. I just don't like site spreading disinformation like that to propel their cause.

AstroLad said:
Yeah, leasing is definitely an enabler, but when I go to Chicago or NYC I don't see half the percentage of new cars I see here in Phoenix. Maybe people are just too lazy to get their AC's refilled with freon so they buy new cars instead.

Yeah another thing is in reality you don't know how people are paying for their cars. The "keeping up with the Jones'." is insidious. It has people upgrading, exchange, pimping the future of themselves and their children just for the pleasure of saying I look just like you. I found that out the hard (when I lost my job) and soft (looking at people in my car club)way. Alot of times people are leasing and other times they have like 4 or 5 adults in the same home (or live with parents). 20k goes a whole lot further with 5 people in a home vs. 1 person with 60k. I know in my car club there were 18 and 19 year old guys putting 1k DVD systems, 2k rims and tires, and 750 dollar exhausts in their cars and they worked at Target I worked for a Govt contrator and couldn't even think about doing all three in the same year let alone the same month.

But, to go back to what you were saying Astro if that AC goes out a lot of times it's just as "easy" to get a new car than to get that AC repaired. Generally here I've seen if the AC goes out it becomes a money pit above and beyond any other in the car. I've known people that had to get their ACs repaired like 3 or 4 times in one summer and at 300 to 750 a pop it will always "seem" worth it.

When I get back up to WA and settled down im going to get my car fixed up and learn how to upkeep it so it can run for freaking ever.

but its a ford so....I CANNOT FIGHT FATE. I love the focus line tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom