• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who don't play indies...why?

If you don't play indies , do you ever feel like you are missing out?

• Yes

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 74 83.1%

• Total voters
Been playing vampire survivor non stop and it's been genuinely one of the best games I ever played giving Elden Ring, my current favorite game of all time a run for its money as GOTY. But being an over head pixel indie I know while many people who will play it many more will skip it. So if you are someone who only plays games by major publishers do you ever feel like you are missing out on something or are you content with AAA games or games from major publishers only?

I would not say, that I differentiate between indies and games with more production value.

It’s more between generic standard games and outstanding ones. On both sides we have more of the boring ones and few pretty good games. Like in every art form.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Everybody plays indie games, even those that think they hate them because they have some weird idea of what they are and think they're all shitty knock offs of 80s games with bad graphics or something, all while enjoying some game that is actually indie but they think is AAA or whatever instead.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Depends on the indie, i find the vast majority to be quite similar to each other with a new coat of paint.

People love vampire survivors but that's been done for 30 years, not sure i understand the hype for a lot of them. I try and watch people play them and get bored tbh.

DaGwaphics

This thread brings forward the bigger question: Are people who don't play indies really people?

Seriously, there is a lot of shovelware in the indie space, but a lot of great games too. I'm not sure how you could enjoy games and not have a few favorite indie games.

Rambone

If indies are interesting and deep like Stardew Valley or Minecraft I get interested in as well as play them but most of the time I feel like there is an ocean of trash indie games cluttering storefronts which just become a nuisance to try and sift through.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Anytime I see a retro inspired indie that interests me, it always has some dumb modern hook that ruins it for me. Obviously that's a really shallow take but if I want to play a Zelda clone, I want it to be a Zelda clone. There is a new Zelda clone that released, can't remember the name but it's on my radar. Looks like a super-charged LTTP.

Everybody plays indie games, even those that think they hate them because they have some weird idea of what they are and think they're all shitty knock offs of 80s games with bad graphics or something, all while enjoying some game that is actually indie but they think is AAA or whatever instead.
Sadly alot of people only play COD, Fortnite, or the single player lovers who will only play GOW, Resident Evil, Elden Ring etc...alot of people won't look at a game that is slightly outside of their comfort zone.

i hate when people talk as if they’re somehow more open minded or have better taste because they “play indies”. Gamers are becoming like movie snobs that think watching foreign movies or A24 films make them movie connoisseurs.

Truth is there are far more garbage indie games to rummage through than there are AAA games due to the sheer quantity in which they release. People love pointing to the 10 or so stand out indie games a year and hold them above AAA games in terms of creativity and innovation but for every stand out good game there 1000 copy-cat low effort zelda and 8 bit metroidvania shovelware.

It doesn’t make you a better, more sophisticated gamer because you play the 5 major publisher backed indies a year that end up in all the award shows.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
i hate when people talk as if they’re somehow more open minded or have better taste because they “play indies”. Gamers are becoming like movie snobs that think watching foreign movies or A24 films make them movie connoisseurs.

Truth is there are far more garbage indie games to rummage through than there are AAA games due to the sheer quantity in which they release. People love pointing to the 10 or so stand out indie games a year and hold them above AAA games in terms of creativity and innovation but for every stand out good game there 1000 copy-cat low effort zelda and 8 bit metroidvania shovelware.

It doesn’t make you a better, more sophisticated gamer because you play the 5 major publisher backed indies a year that end up in all the award shows.
No point making it some kind of attack on people's character.

If you play a wide variety of genres, you have a wider, broader, richer understanding of gaming. I think most people can also acknowledge that these days, AAA is becoming more homogenous. Doesn't mean there are zero good AAA games, and I don't think anyone would really claim that. But playing a more varied collection of games makes your opinions and perspective more varied. It is just the truth, whether insecure people feel that is snobbish or not.

sigmaZ

I love indies when done right like Celeste. Thing I don't like about a large amount of indies games is that they focus too much on aesthetic and often don't iron out gameplay aspects.

Alexios

Lol @ thinking you know what's up cos you follow shitty award shows. Lol @ following shitty award shows. Lol @ thinking "there are bad (indie) games" is some amazing revelation.

Ow, there aren't as many bad AAA games, cos there aren't as many AAA games (of course pubs don't only do AAA games). Amazing knock against some imaginary enemy of yours.

Lol @ thinking you know what's up cos you follow shitty award shows. Lol @ following shitty award shows. Lol @ thinking "there are bad (indie) games" is some amazing revelation.

Ow, there aren't as many bad AAA games, cos there aren't as many AAA games (of course pubs don't only do AAA games). Amazing knock against some imaginary enemy of yours.

Tell me more about vampire survivors and why the casual gamer just doesn’t understand what they’re missing

Alexios

Tell me more about vampire survivors and why the casual gamer just doesn’t understand what they’re missing
I mean, lots of casual gamers play that, it's not for me but they do their thing and that's fine, maybe they heard about it in some award show or other mainstream outlet.

Topher

Gold Member
I won't say "indies", but I'm becoming more attracted to smaller games in general, most of which happen to be indies. I'm playing Triangle Strategy and loving it and that game is made by Square Enix. Good to change pace every once in a while, I think, and not be drawn entirely to the trappings of AAA gaming all the time.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I won't say "indies", but I'm becoming more attracted to smaller games in general, most of which happen to be indies. I'm playing Triangle Strategy and loving it and that game is made by Square Enix. Good to change pace every once in a while, I think, and not be drawn entirely to the trappings of AAA gaming all the time.
AA is great too, for sure. Less and less games are technically "indie." The terms are pretty vague at this point.

tommib

The AAA bloatfests with endless cutscenes of mind-numbing dialogue are pushing people to look at everything else with a different pair of eyes. And that’s good. You’re missing out on amazing games if you only want pretty graphics for photo mode.

Signalis, as a recent good example of a game made by 2 people.

Topher

Gold Member
AA is great too, for sure. Less and less games are technically "indie." The terms are pretty vague at this point.

Yeah, all those As are becoming more and more meaningless. Look at A Plague Tale: R. Isn't Asobo technically an "indie"? I don't know if Plague Tale had the budget of an AAA game but it sure has the look of one.

ungalo

You make it look like a pose while it's really not about that. You think of it that way from an outside point of view but perhaps you'll come to think the same in a few years.

I'm a sucker for AAA and like most people i didn't start to "hate" most of them just for fun. Started playing indie games "by default" and then understood their value.

The fact there is a lot of garbage is of course true, it's due to the very nature of distribution that allows indies to exist in the first place. But it's not like you pick a random game blindly. People talk about those games and usually they're famous because of mouth to ear rather than marketing hype train. What matters is the amount of good games not bad ones.

Markio128

My taste in gaming is a little limited when it comes to Indie games, but I have enjoyed my fair share over the years. Stand outs for me are Super Stardust HD, Resogun and Geometry Wars (can you spot the link). Vampire Survivors sounds like my cup of tea, so I’ll probably give it a go at some point. However, having already gamed my way through the 80’s and 90’s, I‘m not attracted to those games that try to mimic that retro feel. Been there and done that, if you know what I mean.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Most people here don't play indies, even those that claim they do.
Because if you have a publisher backing your *development* (Devolver, Microsoft, Humble Bundle, tinyBuild, etc) then you're not "indie" at all.

I guess you could consider "indie developers" those that develop their own games without funding, and then get a pulishing deal.
But I would likely call those "semi-independent", because without the publisher doing the marketing, PR and localization they would probably not get as far.

I guess there are very few "true" indie developers in the world left, and they probably are the ones that make freeware games.

I don't mind indies. I do not buy games according to their production budget. But indies have the same issues with lack of imagination and follow-the-leader-ism than AAA games.

I like stuff like Hades or Teardown, but I will not play an Earthbound-inspired RPG which is secretely a metaphor for depression or suicide, the umpteenth roguelite RPG with survival mechanics or the wAckY Visual Novel about boinking single dads or toasters or monsters that tries to be Hatoful Boyfriend without being funny.

I loved Vampire Survivors though, great fun for an insane price. But I won't buy any of the 500 clones you can already find in the Steam store.

Last edited:

begotten

Bit weird to start this thread and ask this question after playing a Twitch Streamer game that doesn't really embody the "indie" creative & ambition that you're thinking of.

Kharons' Crypt and Fhtagn Sim might have been recent examples you were looking for.

The main reason I don't play a lot of indie games is because of TIME. These days I barely have time to play AAA games so if I was to play indies also it would just be cutting my AAA game time.

Also very few indie games appeal to me.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Has to be something special for me, I don’t care if that means indie, AA or AAA. Stuff like Hades, A Hat in Time, Yooka Laylee, Stray, Tinykin, Tunic, A Plague Tale, Ori, Vampire Survivors - those games capture my imagination and slap hard. I can’t imagine anyone on here limiting themselves to AAA only.

Has to be something special for me, I don’t care if that means indie, AA or AAA. Stuff like Hades, A Hat in Time, Yooka Laylee, Stray, Tinykin, Tunic, A Plague Tale, Ori, Vampire Survivors - those games capture my imagination and slap hard. I can’t imagine anyone on here limiting themselves to AAA only.

I don't think its a matter of limiting ones self but more so just knowing what types of experiences your looking to get out of gaming. I don't think Stray or A Plague Tale would be considered indie, those games are basically AA games.

When I see a game like Vampire Survivors my immediate thought is I played this type of game like 10 years ago on my GBA lol. Its not the type of experience I am looking for out of my Series X or PS5.

Top Bottom