• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People would still complain if games weren't cross-gen.

RCU005

Let's be real: If God of War sequel and Gran Turismo 7 were huge games technically that would fry the PS4, people would complain that the games aren't 60fps/4K.

Sony knows that the trend right now with hardcore gamers is 60fps. Many developers know that people would prefer a Metal Gear Solid 1-looking game at 4K/60fps than a hyper-realistic game at 30fps maybe at 1080p-1440p.

I, personally, can imagine a scenario where God of War was PS5 exclusive, looking amazing, but having many videos on Youtube like DF complaining that it's not 60fps, that it drops a bit to below 30fps, etc. People would then argue that the PS5 is underpowered and consoles are obsolete.

In reality, the majority of people who has a PS4 and has bought a PS5, won't care at all. They will still be amazed at the game no matter what (assuming it's as good as the first one in the case of GOW). I am thankful that neither my eyes nor my brain can process the difference between 30fps and 60fps, so I don't care about it either. It's weird to me that no-one had an issue playing Super Mario 64 back in the day, but now everyone notice when a game drops one frame and somehow it's a big deal.

To me, the disappointment is more about the game design that the SDD supposedly allows in creating different areas and having a seamless transition. In GOW sequel, I'd imagine they would use that technology to move from realm to realm very easily with no load times or the weird place where you have to walk to let it load.

Sadly, many people would not care about that. It seems that no matter how great a game is, or how graphically impressive is, it will only boil down to "it sucks because it's not 4K/60fps"

Ceadeus

The people complaining represent such a small overall portion. Demi dozen of youtubers and couple of twitch influencers. The portion is still small if we even include the ''hardcore'' gamer category.

They'll continue pleasing the mass market just like in anything else, really.

Kilau

Gold Member
Yes people will always complain. Sometimes it’s justified. Sony backtracking on their generations stance and the general antagonistic attitude towards wanting older games on new hardware gives people a reason.

The games will 100% be held back if we are to believe the SSD claims, so why shouldn’t we complain.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Let's be real: If God of War sequel and Gran Turismo 7 were huge games technically that would fry the PS4, people would complain that the games aren't 60fps/4K.

Sony knows that the trend right now with hardcore gamers is 60fps. Many developers know that people would prefer a Metal Gear Solid 1-looking game at 4K/60fps than a hyper-realistic game at 30fps maybe at 1080p-1440p.

I, personally, can imagine a scenario where God of War was PS5 exclusive, looking amazing, but having many videos on Youtube like DF complaining that it's not 60fps, that it drops a bit to below 30fps, etc. People would then argue that the PS5 is underpowered and consoles are obsolete.

In reality, the majority of people who has a PS4 and has bought a PS5, won't care at all. They will still be amazed at the game no matter what (assuming it's as good as the first one in the case of GOW). I am thankful that neither my eyes nor my brain can process the difference between 30fps and 60fps, so I don't care about it either. It's weird to me that no-one had an issue playing Super Mario 64 back in the day, but now everyone notice when a game drops one frame and somehow it's a big deal.

To me, the disappointment is more about the game design that the SDD supposedly allows in creating different areas and having a seamless transition. In GOW sequel, I'd imagine they would use that technology to move from realm to realm very easily with no load times or the weird place where you have to walk to let it load.

Sadly, many people would not care about that. It seems that no matter how great a game is, or how graphically impressive is, it will only boil down to "it sucks because it's not 4K/60fps"

Who owns a PS5 will complain for not being PS5-only, and vice versa.

GeorgPrime

Banned

People will always compain. Doesnt matter what you do. So just do it anyway

LMJ

I mean all we had for thee days after Fobidden Wests reveal was "how is this possible on PS4" "best looking game ever" "best graphics ever"

The thing is folks, even IF Horizon FW was PS5 only, it's still using an engine that was designed with the PS4 in mind...

I keep saying it, a few years in and you will REALLY see what the consoles can do

MastaKiiLA

Gaming forums are places for people detach from reality, and make mountains out of molehills. Months ago, Sony was doomed for having Jim Ryan lead them. Then the PS5 is the hottest seller, and their earnings report beams. Then there was praise being heaped on Jim for his brilliant management, despite what they thought were questionable decisions. Now he's the devil again, for cross-gen games that are supposedly going to hamper the PS5 versions. Then after E3, when those cross-gen games are launched and are the best-looking products on the market, people can sheepishly admit they were wrong, while searching for the next thing to lose their minds over.

This forum is an anomaly. Not even Reddit is this bipolar. I like to think it's just people trying to stay consistent, because they had a field day with downplaying the Series consoles for having cross-gen games. However, refusing to abandon a flawed stance is the definition of folly. It's better to just admit that the stance was misinformed, and move on. HFW looked amazing, cross-gen or not. No reason to expect SSM or PD to not deliver the goods. If you were awed by the visuals you saw, then that's all that matters. Anyway, I'm glad there's an F1 race this weekend. I can get away from this lunacy.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
People paid $500 expecting games that made use of that hardware.

Microsoft was smart in creating their "Smart Delivery" plus backwards compatibility. Those features justify buying an Xbox even with no next gen exclusives released.
Sony on the other hand decided to dive head on, but due to covid and hardware shortages they are taking a different stance now.

If Sony really had planned ahead, they would have developed some decent cross gen solution like Microsoft did.
That would make it worth to buy a PS5. Sony deciding to make most of their next gen exclusives into cross gen now devalues the PS5 somewhat.

I do like the route Xbox has taken and have said for awhile now Xbox was making a lot of right moves.

In all honesty I only play my PS5 for their exclusives and Xbox/PC for everything else.

Ezquimacore

Banned
With the current situation I don't see the problem with crossgen games. It's like playing the games on old gpus vs new gpus. This is not like ps2 vs ps3 days, there's actual scalability now.

I wouldn't complain.

Next gen only is how it should be. It's how its always been. Sucks for those without next gen systems, sure. But that's how it works.

I wasn't worried about PS3 owners not being able to enjoy HZD either.

Last edited:

Fbh

Why couldn't it be Ps5 exclusive and have a 60fps mode?
That would imply the only real difference between Ps4 and 5 is 60fps?

We spent months hearing about how SSD on consoles would be a game changer for games and game design, how exciting it was that these new consoles would have much less of a CPU bottleneck than previous the previous gen, the great performance of their GPU, RDNA2 and all that shit, etc.

And now it's like "yeah so it all translates into Ps4 games at 60fps"

Last edited:

Microsoft was smart in creating their "Smart Delivery" plus backwards compatibility. Those features justify buying an Xbox even with no next gen exclusives released.
Sony on the other hand decided to dive head on, but due to covid and hardware shortages they are taking a different stance now.

If Sony really had planned ahead, they would have developed some decent cross gen solution like Microsoft did.
That would make it worth to buy a PS5. Sony deciding to make most of their next gen exclusives into cross gen now devalues the PS5 somewhat.

I am not sure if I follow what you are saying. The PS5 is backward compatible and most games usually are sold with the PS4/PS5 editions bundled together.

Anyway, the main issue here is Sony wasn't upfront with saying all of these games would come to PS4. They hold back with saying that earlier on to push more sales for the PS5. Also if these games are cross gen they will be held back by the weaker CPU and HDD in the PS4. We basically have to wait another 5 years to see a real next gen GOW, Horizon and GT game which doesn't make any sense.

IMO, The PS5 didn't need to come out this soon if they planned on doing this.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Absolutely not

Having a God of War game where you don't need to go through cracks in a cave to mask loading the next area where game design is not affected by console limitation. 30fps and 60fps has nothing to do with it and besides a next gen Gran Turismo would always have a 60fps target whether it's cross gen or now. Unfortunately now we have to wait until 2029 until a true next gen Gran Turismo that's designed around a SSD and a modern CPU and GPU.

the noise will calm in a couple of days and no one will remember any of this with the first trailer SSM release when people will be in shock and awe of the glorious gameplay reveal of God of War sequel

Share Discover GIF

For the tag change.

:messenger_grinning:

People complain about everything..it is impossible to make gamers happy. Remember when people were bitching for 60 fps on console? Now I see those same clowns bitching about not having 120 fps on consoles. The Earth appears to just be filled with miserable people these days. I wish my life were easy enough to bitch about things as minor as that....but I have like a career and life and stuff 😂

Derift

... but sony are doing this already and actually have some next gen titles...

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I mean all we had for thee days after Fobidden Wests reveal was "how is this possible on PS4" "best looking game ever" "best graphics ever"

The thing is folks, even IF Horizon FW was PS5 only, it's still using an engine that was designed with the PS4 in mind...

I keep saying it, a few years in and you will REALLY see what the consoles can do
The problem is with dev cycles the way they are now we will likely never get a GoW or Horizon or GT that takes full advantage of ps5 until ps6 is about to come out. It's just a shame. Like I'm still hyped as hell for the games as I love the series but it's so sad seeing them not wanting to move the baseline on franchises that can do it especially with ps5 versions of cross gen games like Miles Morales selling so much more

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
How are they not taking advantage of PS5?
Because they're still having AI and systems that can run on jaguar CPU. They still have stuff going on slow enough for an HDD. They have to make the core game scalable rather than push it to the limit

LMJ

The problem is with dev cycles the way they are now we will likely never get a GoW or Horizon or GT that takes full advantage of ps5 until ps6 is about to come out. It's just a shame. Like I'm still hyped as hell for the games as I love the series but it's so sad seeing them not wanting to move the baseline on franchises that can do it especially with ps5 versions of cross gen games like Miles Morales selling so much more

no I wouldn't say that, we will likely get at least one GOW or HZD if not new IP's as well

Its clear that Ratchet RA is being done on a next gen basis, but keep in mind that's after Spiderman, Miles Morales and SM Remastered...that's alot of work for ONE studio, so one of the things that tells me is that the PS5 is fairly easy to develop for...even easier than the 4. So I would wager that will leave to faster development

EDMIX

Because they're still having AI and systems that can run on jaguar CPU. They still have stuff going on slow enough for an HDD. They have to make the core game scalable rather than push it to the limit

That doesn't mean on PS5 they lack that ability though....

Dolodolo

I do like the route Xbox has taken and have said for awhile now Xbox was making a lot of right moves.

In all honesty I only play my PS5 for their exclusives and Xbox/PC for everything else.
I have never understood this logic. What is "everything else" you play on the Xbox for?
Seriously. Most major releases don't make it to Gamepass (Yes, I'm aware that Battlefield 6 will be there, but that's just an exception to the general rule).
The differences in graphics between the two new generation consoles are minimal.
I understand the position on the PC. Everything is obvious there. Better graphics. More frames. But, with xbox, I don't understand this at all.

GymWolf

Nah, intelligent people knows that a big heavy ps5 excusive is never gonna be 4k60, who cry for that is people who cry for everything or just ignorant people.

Asking for that and asking to cut this crossgen bullcrap are 2 completely different things, one is doable and expected, the other no.

Rudius

They would complain regardless.

I would prefer to have PS5 only games so devs don't have to worry about PS4 limitations, but at least in the case of Horizon the graphics are impressive and I'll be able to play it at 60fps, so it's not that bad.

Urban

Gamers have a natural "complain-attitude". Even if you gave them 10.000$ they would still complain like: What should i do with this money now?

Top Bottom