• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

heringer said:
Played this for about 3 hours and I'm not feeling it.

Basically your generic japanese sim with boring dungeons that look samey. The PS2 version is probably cooler since you at least can run around freely in daytime. The way they present this part in the portable version feels kinda lazy.

Don't see what the big deal is, probably because it's still early. We'll see.
Yeah i think most of hte people who like it are the ones who have already played it before. I was pretty disappointed i couldnt run around. I really doubt you will like it better after that. Do yourself a favor get persona 4 and just play that, not that i dont love P3P myself but ive played 3 and 4 already.

Aru

kafka rock opera said:
Yeah i think most of hte people who like it are the ones who have already played it before. I was pretty disappointed i couldnt run around. I really doubt you will like it better after that. Do yourself a favor get persona 4 and just play that, not that i dont love P3P myself but ive played 3 and 4 already.

I wasn't bothered by the fact that we couldn't run everywhere. Made the game more fast paced.
It was a great experience but I found the end too much simple for such a "complex" story.

Blueblur1

P3P is on sale in the US PS Store for $19.99, guys. I'm considering double-dipping just so I can play it on my NGP sometime in the future.

Snaku

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
P3P is on sale in the US PS Store for $19.99, guys. I'm considering double-dipping just so I can play it on my NGP sometime in the future.

Just saw that earlier and bought it. Been waiting for it to hit $20.

Just started this game a week ago. Im loving it! I saw it when it was released on the PS2 but never bought it and sold my PS2 and never had a chance to play it. I currently have played for like 26 hours and just killed the
Love hotel's shadow boss

Im thinking in prepare myself for the future and get persona 4 since I have a PS3 with PS2 compatibility... does persona 4 works in PS3?

sotodefonk said:
Im thinking in prepare myself for the future and get persona 4 since I have a PS3 with PS2 compatibility... does persona 4 works in PS3?
Yup.

Though when you play it on the PS3 you might want to keep multiple save files. Some people have reported randomly losing save files when playing Persona 4 on the PS3.

sotodefonk said:
Just started this game a week ago. Im loving it! I saw it when it was released on the PS2 but never bought it and sold my PS2 and never had a chance to play it. I currently have played for like 26 hours and just killed the
Love hotel's shadow boss
I started this game on Sunday and I'm totally hooked... I've dumped 40+ hours into it already (many of them just playing around with persona fusion and grinding for cash so I can pull more out of my compendium to fuse) and I'm about half way through (on summer vacation)...

Anyway, it's my first Persona game and I think it's fantastic. This is why I love GAF - I never would have bothered with this without the positive buzz it generated here. Great game!

Curufinwe said:
The World Balance on floor
is kicking my ass. The MC is only level 63, and I might have to actually grind for the first time in P3P.

I remember just running through those floors to get to the end, annoying enemies. But I had all of the highest persona possible without doing the pentagon etc fusions. Final boss was still tough as nails X_x. Thor and Odin FTW)

Emitan

heringer said:

Basically your generic japanese sim with boring dungeons that look samey. The PS2 version is probably cooler since you at least can run around freely in daytime. The way they present this part in the portable version feels kinda lazy.

I played Persona 4 for about 5 hours and put it down. But I'm addicted to this game. I love the fact that you don't have to walk around freely because what's the point? This system just makes it easier to talk to everyone and move around the map.

If I buy the PSN version of P3P, will it run fine on the latest CFW? Sorry for the question, I haven't kept up on the PSP scene. I'm usually a UMD guy, but this price seems too good to pass.

Billychu said:
I played Persona 4 for about 5 hours and put it down. But I'm addicted to this game. I love the fact that you don't have to walk around freely because what's the point? This system just makes it easier to talk to everyone and move around the map.
You are a bad person.

I think this is my favourite version of P3. It's trimmed a lot of the fat off, and the dungeon floors seem a bit smaller. Playing it on Easy though. It's tough enough as it is, for me :)

Billychu said:

There was something about P3P that I liked over P4 as well. Maybe for me, its the music direction, the story, and the addictive Tartarus (As well as quickly finding everything on the maps)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
heringer said:

Well they make it more portable by cutting down the running around and just getting into the action.

... the story takes a turn for the crazy and crazier the more you go. It's a very slow burn.
Personally I'd just skip it and go into Persona 4

The combat gets pretty tough later on.

Easystride said:
If I buy the PSN version of P3P, will it run fine on the latest CFW? Sorry for the question, I haven't kept up on the PSP scene. I'm usually a UMD guy, but this price seems too good to pass.
Sorry to quote myself, but does anyone know? There is only a few days left on the sale. I suppose I could always buy it and play it on the NGP.

vocab

heringer said:

lol god no. The PS2 version is unbearable at times. I quit the game after 20 hours, and I still bought FES which I will never play. It took THREE versions of the game to get rid of the garbage. The social links in P3 are not worth walking around freely for. It sucks that the story is put on the backburner for a good portion of the early game.

Sipowicz

Banned
how many girls can you buil social links with?

at the moment i have fuuka, yuko, chihiro and maya on level 4 or below. i dont want to go any further because i read somewhere you can only max out one social link for a "romantic interest"

Sipowicz said:

at the moment i have fuuka, yuko, chihiro and maya on level 4 or below. i dont want to go any further because i read somewhere you can only max out one social link for a "romantic interest"

if your the male MC you can get Mitsuru and Yukari also but it has to be after a certain time and a certain requirement is met (Mitsuru = max intelligence, Yukari = max charm) IIRC.

Not sure about the Female MC since i haven't played her yet.

also don't remember if Aegis can get one (or thats in P3:FES)

Sipowicz said:

Well theres Aegis but thats close to end game...

panda21

have ATLUS expressed any intent to put this on the european PSN?

i just got a psp for tactics ogre and was really surprised to see they released persona 1 psp on the psn here, even though they didnt release it on disk afaik and usually that stuff never makes it over here, or if it does its via another publisher.

panda21 said:

i just got a psp for tactics ogre and was really surprised to see they released persona 1 psp on the psn here, even though they didnt release it on disk afaik and usually that stuff never makes it over here, or if it does its via another publisher.

Ghostlight is bringing it out in a collectors edition on UMD to Europe this year, it doesnt say if its coming to the PSN there.

Jb

panda21 said:

Atlus won't, but Ghostlight will (UMD+PSN).

Sipowicz

Banned
i want to max out mitsuru's social link because empress has the personas i want

how far can i go with the s-links for the other girls. can you sex up more than one girl at once?

well if you are "special" (dating) more than one girl, then the link could possibly reverse, and then you'll have to get on your knees and crawl back and apologize

luckily if you max the link it's fair game! sleep with everyone then
you're also safe if you go "friend route"

Sipowicz

Banned
viewtiful_dru said:
well if you are "special" (dating) more than one girl, then the link could possibly reverse, and then you'll have to get on your knees and crawl back and apologize

luckily if you max the link it's fair game! sleep with everyone then
you're also safe if you go "friend route"

so if i max out mitsuru then i'm safe?

also, what do you mean friend route? does each girl have a friend option that doesn't fuck up your social links?

Adam Prime said:
The combat gets pretty tough later on.
I just finished off the October full moon shadow
- the double team with Fortune and the roulette wheel -
and I killed it first try, without breaking much of a sweat... In fact, I haven't had any real challenges in combat since early in the game while I was getting a feel for the system. The story's good and I'm enjoying the game, but I'm definitely thinking that I should have chosen the HARD difficulty level, because even without "grinding" my party consistently remains a match for anything they throw at me if I think about what I'm doing at all...

As for reversals, I'm not sure what happens when you're dating more than two girls at once, but I've had a couple setbacks with Yukari - just "you're relationship seems to be stagnating" kind of things...

Sipowicz

Banned
what the fuck? I just did an s-link with the speccy girl and it says "she'll get mad" if you try to bang another girl

that means i cant do s-links with anyone else?

Sipowicz said:
what the fuck? I just did an s-link with the speccy girl and it says "she'll get mad" if you try to bang another girl

that means i cant do s-links with anyone else?
For one, I assume you mean Chihiro, which means you have awful taste for not ignoring the fuck out of her.

For two, when you start in a "relationship" with a chick, hanging out with another chick can lead to the first one getting jealous and reversing your social link with them (I'm not sure if it happens any time you try and hang out with another girl, but it happens a lot). Once you max her social link, though, you're free to try and bang whoever you want.

Honestly I kind of wish they made it so you could totally fuck things up, but I get why they give you that out. :\

Sipowicz

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
For one, I assume you mean Chihiro, which means you have awful taste for not ignoring the fuck out of her.

For two, when you start in a "relationship" with a chick, hanging out with another chick can lead to the first one getting jealous and reversing your social link with them (I'm not sure if it happens any time you try and hang out with another girl, but it happens a lot). Once you max her social link, though, you're free to try and bang whoever you want.

Honestly I kind of wish they made it so you could totally fuck things up, but I get why they give you that out. :\

ok i get you. but i'm in a bit of a dilemma because i'm trying to max all the girls social links at once. yukari, mitsuru, maya, speccy girl, sports manager, fuuka

any ideas on what i can do? i'm in december so i'm guessing i'm almost at the end of the game

Sipowicz said:
ok i get you. but i'm in a bit of a dilemma because i'm trying to max all the girls social links at once. yukari, mitsuru, maya, speccy girl, sports manager, fuuka

any ideas on what i can do? i'm in december so i'm guessing i'm almost at the end of the game
What's your level with all of them? Also, Maya doesn't really count so you can max her out with no worry.

Sipowicz

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
What's your level with all of them? Also, Maya doesn't really count so you can max her out with no worry.

cool so keep doing maya. i think i'm about level 3 with the rest although i just hit level 5 with chihiro when i got the message

Finished this game last night with about 99 hours in... Spent a lot of time wandering about Tartarus completing all the quests and saving all the humans so I was leveled up to 85 or something by the end and the final battle and it was no problem...

Long story short: I loved it!
I'll admit that the game's ending took me completely by surprise, but it felt so completely right. In retrospect, I see that I probably shouldn't have been so surprised, but I was, which kind of ties in with the game's over-arching theme in a nice way.

Anyway, now I'm hoping for a P4P, either for the PSP or NGP (or both)... and I'm thinking of playing the original Persona, though I need to take a break from JRPGs for a little while to catch my breath after this one...

Great game, and I wouldn't have played it without the praise it gets here... Thanks GAF.

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
Finished this game last night with about 99 hours in... Spent a lot of time wandering about Tartarus completing all the quests and saving all the humans so I was leveled up to 85 or something by the end and the final battle and it was no problem...

Long story short: I loved it!
I'll admit that the game's ending took me completely by surprise, but it felt so completely right. In retrospect, I see that I probably shouldn't have been so surprised, but I was, which kind of ties in with the game's over-arching theme in a nice way.

Anyway, now I'm hoping for a P4P, either for the PSP or NGP (or both)... and I'm thinking of playing the original Persona, though I need to take a break from JRPGs for a little while to catch my breath after this one...

Great game, and I wouldn't have played it without the praise it gets here... Thanks GAF.

P1P is awesome and P2P seems to be even more awesome. I need to go back and play as the female for P3P, though

Curufinwe

I've reached the top of Tartarus with a week left to go, but my main party is only around level 71.

What's the best way to gain another 10 levels or so quickly? I wish I didn't have to beat the Reaper to access Monad.

Curufinwe

So I checked on Gamefaqs and apparently I should
beat the the Reaper using Odin's Thunder Reign
attack, and that will get me access to Monad.

I'm getting less than 1,000 XP per battle on the top floor of Tartarus so trying to level up there is useless.

cj_iwakura

There's a much easier way to kill the Reaper.

Lucifer + Satan = Armageddon Fusion. Everything dies.

You'll need to max Star(Mamoru) though.

Boogiepop

So... what's the general consensus on picking this up having already played FES? Is it worth it? I rather enjoyed FES so I'm kind of curious, but I'm not entirely sure it's worth picking up...

epmode

Mank said:
So... what's the general consensus on picking this up having already played FES? Is it worth it? I rather enjoyed FES so I'm kind of curious, but I'm not entirely sure it's worth picking up...
I've played through FES and I'm still enjoying this.

Still, I think the lack of 3D areas and character models ultimately hurts the game. If it wasn't for the awesome female POV and the WONDERFUL full-control in combat, it would have been a disappointment.

Tamanon

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
There's a much easier way to kill the Reaper.

Lucifer + Satan = Armageddon Fusion. Everything dies.

You'll need to max Star(Mamoru) though.

I'm pretty sure fusion spells aren't in P3P. Just fusion items.

Curufinwe

I just beat the Reaper but the door to Monad hasn't appeared. It's January 28th and I have already reached the top floor of Tartarus so I don't know what else to do to make it appear.

Fucking hell... I forgot to take the Bloody Button quest first so now I have to beat him again.

Curufinwe said:
I just beat the Reaper but the door to Monad hasn't appeared. It's January 28th and I have already reached the top floor of Tartarus so I don't know what else to do to make it appear.

Fucking hell... I forgot to take the Bloody Button quest first so now I have to beat him again.
Yeah, you have to do the bloody button quest.

Kall201

I bought this while it was (still is?) on sale on PSN, and I'm seriously in love!
I'm about 15 hours in , and it's the first time I feel this addicted to a JRPG (or even RPG), I think it will be the first I finish.
I like the pace of the game, and love the Social aspect. Combat is fast and dynamic (playing on easy, I don't like grinding).
So, I already bought P4, but what other games am I missing? Is persona unique in it's genre, or is there other games I might love? I liked: The story, the social aspect, the dungeon aspect, the pace and the caracters.

Kall201 said:
So, I already buyed P4, but what other games am I missing? Is persona unique in it's genre, or is there other games I might love? I liked: The story, the social aspect, the dungeon aspect, the pace and the caracters.
The other games in the Shin Megami Tensei series are all missing the social aspects. Why not settle for the 150 hours of Persona that you already have before you buy a bunch of other games? The most beloved Megami Tensei game besides P3 and P4, is Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne (Lucifer's Call in Europe). It's completely missing the social links and the character and the story parts are considerably smaller.

Kall201 said:
I bought this while it was (still is?) on sale on PSN, and I'm seriously in love!
I'm about 15 hours in , and it's the first time I feel this addicted to a JRPG (or even RPG), I think it will be the first I finish.
I like the pace of the game, and love the Social aspect. Combat is fast and dynamic (playing on easy, I don't like grinding).
So, I already bought P4, but what other games am I missing? Is persona unique in it's genre, or are there other games I might love? I liked: The story, the social aspect, the dungeon aspect, the pace and the characters.

bought*

I have found that there are no other comparable games due to the meld of the social and fast combat. I guess that is perhaps the reason why it is the definitive RPG on the PSP (and is tied for the highest rated psp game ever).

Blueblur1

Kall201 said:
I buyed this while it was (still is?) on sale on PSN, and I'm seriously in love!
So, I already buyed P4, but what other games am I missing? Is persona unique in it's genre, or is there other games I might love? I liked: The story, the social aspect, the dungeon aspect, the pace and the caracters.
I had a similar experience when I first played Persona 3 FES. I'm happy to see a fellow gamer enjoy the game as much as I did. :)

Kall201

archnemesis said:
The other games in the Shin Megami Tensei series are all missing the social aspects. Why not settle for the 150 hours of Persona that you already have before you buy a bunch of other games? The most beloved Megami Tensei game besides P3 and P4, is Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne (Lucifer's Call in Europe). It's completely missing the social links and the character and the story parts are considerably smaller.

I'll finish the game, but I felt like it was just the kind of games I love (and didn't know about), and I wanted to know if it was a unique case, or representative of a sub-genre.
Thanks for the recommendations.

Dedication Through Light said:

Sorry, edited, thank you.

Dedication Through Light said:
I have found that there are no other comparable games due to the meld of the social and fast combat. I guess that is perhaps the reason why it is the definitive RPG on the PSP (and is tied for the highest rated psp game ever).

That's what I feared. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Blueblur1 said:
I had a similar experience when I first played Persona 3 FES. I'm happy to see a fellow gamer enjoy the game as much as I did. :)

:)

Top Bottom