• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal coming to Xbox Series X|S and PC (Game Pass)

Sure, Jan. They ported to pc and now to consoles, and then they ported p5r to Xbox and pc but “that’s not how atlus operates”.
Nice try, jan.
I never said they won’t port it. Read my post. Not sure if you have trouble reading English or something (no offense) but I stated you’ll have to wait years. The nerds at resetera break it down pretty well.

Swift_Star

Banned
Maybe, maybe not.

SEGA tried with Yakuza and it failed. So like many publishers they may have not cared about putting M rated titles on Nintendo systems to this extent.

MS likely also came to SEGA to pay for them ports or something, who knows.

I think SMTV might be as far as they are willing to go with that rating on Nintendo platforms, or don't feel they have a huge market on there so want to see how it looks on XB. Yakuza worked for XB, so maybe they want to see if Persona can too.

For all you know those ports come to Switch and PS4,PS5 in 6 months time or something lol
That’s a given.

EDMIX

Do NOT play persona 3 portable, do yourself a favour, get retroarch on your xbox and get persona 3 fes ps2 emulation. Its the better version and has more content.

oh WTF!!!!!!!!!!????? Why did they use such a shit version?

I was hype to buy this on PC, but its a no buy if its that version.

I hope they remake Persona 1 and 2, but at least remaster 3 and 4.

Lognor Lognor lol huh? I don't believe Sony ever had anything with the Persona IP, that might be just Atlus/Sega etc.

Most JP publishers don't make XB games, thats like fucking saying they ALL have some deal with Sony, they simply don't put out their games on systems that they also sell the least on or something.

We can say Sony has something with FFVII remake, even FFXVI as clearly they are making the deal to market it and talk about such deals, but I don't recall that ever happening to stuff like Persona, Yakuza, Dragonquest etc, many times thats simply due to them doing better on Nintendo and PS or something, not cause some secret deal is happening.

Not all JP games that don't came to XB, are based on Sony. A lot of them are simply based on the low install base of people that buy JRPGs on XB, thats it.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I never said they won’t port it. Read my post. Not sure if you have trouble reading English or something (no offense) but I stated you’ll have to wait years. The nerds at resetera break it down pretty well.
I doubt it’ll take more than 6 months if even that. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You’re free to believe what you want, though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Atlus MUST have some beef with Nintendo and Switch, its not possible.

MS but not Switch? Whats the fucking logic?

They've literally put out multiple SMT games exclusively on Switch. That definitely can't be the case.

Based on the fact that it doesn’t say it’s exclusive (something that they obviously be very happy to say) anywhere and that the vast majority of persona and jrpg fans are on PlayStation. This is, at best, a timed exclusive.

Don't take it so seriously lol, Atlus games coming to Xbox in the first place is the more surprising and pressing news. These will obviously come to PS as well, P5R is already playable on PS5, so no need to mention that separately with this announcement and its release in October, and the other 2 are scheduled for next year, plenty of time between now and then for Atlus to announce PS4/5 versions on PSN for them alongside.

Last edited:
I doubt it’ll take more than 6 months if even that. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You’re free to believe what you want, though.
I don’t have to believe anything because I’m not the one who has to wait for it to get ported buddy

I’m just trying to keep your expectations realistic as you seem heavily affected by this news

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.

They environments in the portable version after just back drops and you cant roam, the content has been cut and missing some very good anime cutscenes, sure they added you can control other characters but missing endgame content is a big no no, play the ps2 retro version for best experience, persona 3 fes

LordCBH

I keep reading mixed things after searching this. Surprised to see how polar people are on this game.

It’s still a really good game. Especially the battle system changes. But my preference is still Fes. I like being able to walk around the game world outside of dungeons and I adore the cutscenes, which got completely cut from the PSP version because they didn’t want to ship on 2 discs. Even with the brain dead party AI I still prefer Fes because of the outside of battle stuff.

adamsapple

It literally has double the campaign with the FeMC at least.

Yes, FES version would have been more appreciated, but they chose the laziest and easiest version, PSP is already wide screen so they wouldn't have needed to do any extra remastering. Probably just gonna slap a filter and sell it for $19.99 or something.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
They've literally put out multiple SMT games exclusively on Switch. That definitely can't be the case.

Don't take it so seriously lol, Atlus games coming to Xbox in the first place is the more surprising and pressing news. These will obviously come to PS as well, P5R is already playable on PS5, so no need to mention that separately with this announcement and its release in October, and the other 2 are scheduled for next year, plenty of time between now and then for Atlus to announce PS4/5 versions on PSN for them alongside.
I’m pretty sure is happening. That guy is just looking for trouble and warring and I’m really not in the mood for it. The OG leaker said it’s coming for PS consoles so I’d rather believe his word than the one of a GAF warrior. Ignored him already.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned

Lognor Lognor lol huh? I don't believe Sony ever had anything with the Persona IP, that might be just Atlus/Sega etc.

Most JP publishers don't make XB games, thats like fucking saying they ALL have some deal with Sony, they simply don't put out their games on systems that they also sell the least on or something.

We can say Sony has something with FFVII remake, even FFXVI as clearly they are making the deal to market it and talk about such deals, but I don't recall that ever happening to stuff like Persona, Yakuza, Dragonquest etc, many times thats simply due to them doing better on Nintendo and PS or something, not cause some secret deal is happening.

Not all JP games that don't came to XB, are based on Sony. A lot of them are simply based on the low install base of people that buy JRPGs on XB, thats it.
Do NOT play persona 3 portable, do yourself a favour, get retroarch on your xbox and get persona 3 fes ps2 emulation. Its the better version and has more content.
You don't need an emulator, FES is still available on the PS3 store for $10. It might come to the new PS+ eventually too.

I just bought the original Persona 4 on PSN. I had the dvd only 😁

Last edited:
It’s still a really good game. Especially the battle system changes. But my preference is still Fes. I like being able to walk around the game world outside of dungeons and I adore the cutscenes, which got completely cut from the PSP version because they didn’t want to ship on 2 discs. Even with the brain dead party AI I still prefer Fes because of the outside of battle stuff.
Good to know. Odds are I’ll play the gamepass version given it will be on gamepass. Sounds like a hybrid of both games would be best.

Reactions: Isa

LordCBH

Good to know. Odds are I’ll play the gamepass version given it will be on gamepass. Sounds like a hybrid of both games would be best.

Either way you’re in for a treat. 3 in general in all versions is pretty rough around the edges, but it’s essentially the first game considering how different 3 and onwards are from 1 and 2 (plus the time gap between the releases of 2 and 3)

Lognor

Banned
They should port over Strikers, too, it's really fun (if you like Dynasty Warriors style of games).

Because it sells pretty well on PS? But it's Atlus, who knows what the fuck they are doing.
I didn't play strikers because it's a sequel to persona 5 which I haven't played. I will likely pick it up once I finish persona 5.

I'm still hoping persona 5 comes to switch. I'm holding out hope that Nintendo will have a direct this week and will announce p5 on switch

EDMIX

You don't need an emulator, FES is still available on the PS3 store for $10. It might come to the new PS+ eventually too.

I just bought the original Persona 4 on PSN. I had the dvd only 😁

Oh I own the PSN versions of Persona 3 and 4.

Funny that the PS3 is legit the best place to play the whole persona series lol

I also have both for PS2 still. Such a great series, I had hopes for a remaster vs some bad port of the worst version.

Either way you’re in for a treat. 3 in general in all versions is pretty rough around the edges, but it’s essentially the first game considering how different 3 and onwards are from 1 and 2 (plus the time gap between the releases of 2 and 3)
Are 1 and 2 worth playing? Or can I just skip? My backlog is already huge.

LordCBH

1 not so much. I’d go so far as to say thst I don’t like 1 much at all, either the PS1 version or the PSP remake, both of which I have. The OG translation of 1 was so bizarre.

2 though? Both games in the duology are excellent, though a bit annoying as we only got one of the PS1 ones and one of the PSP remakes.

1 not so much. I’d go so far as to say thst I don’t like 1 much at all, either the PS1 version or the PSP remake, both of which I have. The OG translation of 1 was so bizarre.

2 though? Both games in the duology are excellent, though a bit annoying as we only got one of the PS1 ones and one of the PSP remakes.
The earlier death of PSP in the West compared to Japan fucked a lot of niche titles like that. To this day, there is no official release of Fate/Extra CCC.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

persona 2 gets even weirder than an average atlus release. worth playing but feels old as hell.

khps5jlozb321.jpg

OuterLimits

Maybe in like 10 years based on how Atlus releases games

Pretty much this. Hell, P3 and P4G aren't even releasing on Xbox until sometime in 2023. If this is indeed a timed exclusive, then PlayStation and Switch likely wouldn't get it for 1.5 to 2 years.

I think it's great more gamers can play these with it coming to PC, Xbox. From a business perspective though, leaving out Switch and PlayStation seems bizarre. Sales would be considerable on both platforms. This is Atlus though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised

Last edited:

lachesis

I think the chances of these games releasing on PS+ and PS4/5 platform are also pretty high for some reason.. especially P5R. I would actually be rather surprised if it won't be available for PS+.
Especially Sega already offered P5 for PS+ collection offerings before - so it's not much of surprise if they offer P5R on PS+ around the same time of game pass release. Quite possibly on Steam as well.

It just carries so more impact for both parties (MS and Atlus) to announce "look, Persona 5 Royal (and others) on Xbox" at this very moment... than "Look, Persona 5 Royal on PS+!", which is like... uh.. okay, big deal for 3 year old game? I would be more surprised if P5R timed subscription is only made available on Game Pass ever.

P4G and P3P, is more interesting case to be honest - especially P3P. P4G is already available on PC, and we can probably expect similar on Xbox... but honestly I think P3P is likely to be a lazy emulated/upscaled version than a true remaster/remake... so we'll see how much effort they've put in, and whether they'll be available on PS+ service, or gets ported to PS4/5 as stand alone games.

I think we'll hear more throughout the year as there are a couple more Persona 25th anniversary announcement left... (if this is one of them, then there's only one more left in the fall?)

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Pretty much this. Hell, P3 and P4G aren't even releasing on Xbox until sometime in 2023. If this is indeed a timed exclusive, then PlayStation and Switch likely wouldn't get it for 1.5 to 2 years.

I think it's great more gamers can play these with it coming to PC, Xbox. From a business perspective though, leaving out Switch and PlayStation seems bizarre. Sales would be considerable on both platforms. This is Atlus though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised
Don’t worry, it’ll be released on ps and switch.

Nautilus

Banned
Maybe, maybe not.

SEGA tried with Yakuza and it failed. So like many publishers they may have not cared about putting M rated titles on Nintendo systems to this extent.

MS likely also came to SEGA to pay for them ports or something, who knows.

I think SMTV might be as far as they are willing to go with that rating on Nintendo platforms, or don't feel they have a huge market on there so want to see how it looks on XB. Yakuza worked for XB, so maybe they want to see if Persona can too.

For all you know those ports come to Switch and PS4,PS5 in 6 months time or something lol
Well, some creators have some weird beefs with Nintendo. Yakiza games not comming to switch mostly boils down to its creator, which I don't remember his name now, not liking Nintendo and thinking their consoles being for kids. He actually already went on record saying those things numerous times.

But outside of those cases, it doesn't make sense. SMT V is far more "mature" than Persona, and SMT V has been widly successful on the Switch, being the fastest and biggest seller on the franchise(did more than 1 million for a while now).

Whats most likely to have happened is that MS paid for those ports. But even then, Atlus was already on its way of porting old Persona games anyway, with P4 Golden on steam and P4 Arena everywhere. So I think its more about MS paying Atlus to put them on Gamepass day one and to have marketing rights, and those games would come a bit later, or just be announced for other platforms closer to launch.

Either way, we have a lot of keakers saying they are comming to Switch and PS systems, so I think its just a matter of time, because even for Atlus standards, porting to only Xbox is too bizarre.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
probably already mentioned but Altus says they are all remasters. i guess it depends what they think a remaster is. i am just happy i don't need to play P5R on PS4 anymore. should look great on PC ... if they do a proper remaster.

LordCBH

probably already mentioned but Altus says they are all remasters. i guess it depends what they think a remaster is. i am just happy i don't need to play P5R on PS4 anymore. should look great on PC ... if they do a proper remaster.

Is Atlus themselves doing the porting work on this, or is it Sega Europe?

adamsapple

P5r was already 4K 30 on the PS4 pro, I'm guessing they're going to turn it to 4K 60 for this conversion. Even though it's a turn-based rpg, any upgrade is welcome.

adamsapple

You can skip them, they might be good dungeon crawling RPGs in their own field, but they look and play completely different from three four and five, so there is absolutely no cohesive tissue among them at all.

In fact, might be sacrilege to say but the franchise only really picked up after the third game and its new style.

Aenima

Now we know why Persona 5 got removed from the PS+ games collection. MS deal must prevent the game to be in other services. Ppl that added the game to the library can still play it though, just new players cant add or download it anymore.

damiank

I was thinking why Atlus chose P3P, not FES... Is it because of that female protagonist? Is it because it's the latest version...?
Maybe.. but I think they chose P3P because it's native wide-screen, just like P4G.
It would require them minimum effort to port.... no need to tinker the game, nor artworks etc.

Honestly though, I would have loved the real "definitive" version of P3 - as more or less some serious remaster.
  • Base the game on FES
  • Keep the male/female protagonist choice for P3P and her social links.
  • New character models & Better bkg assets (Let's be honest - it's not "that" diverse)
  • New cut scenes with new models + all new FMV that's more consistent with the artwork.
    (P3 had this weird phenomenon of game character - illustration - fmv looking all distinctly different for some reason - at least the illustration and FMV should have looked similar, like P4G)
Maybe that will come in, as P3 remake is always rumored... and we still have 2 more announcements left?
That's because Portable was probably last available source code.

damiank

Persona 5 Royal stays at 30 fps right?
This may sound weird but it seems like it would feel weird if it ran at 60 fps like Strikers, but maybe that’s because I’ve already spent 200 hours playing it on my PS5 lol.
On trailer it looked like 60FPS
persona 2 gets even weirder than an average atlus release. worth playing but feels old as hell.

khps5jlozb321.jpg
Honestly I want this shit remastered

Graciaus

Since there is a Steam release day one. But do I want to play right away or wait for mods? Golden with QOL fixes was worth the wait.

Top Bottom