• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Remake and new Jet Set Radio game footage appears online

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It was teaser for new Fantasy RPG by Hashino (creators of Persona 3,4,5 and Catherine) after he left Persona Team and created Studio Zero……That was loooooong time ago.

ReFantasy2.jpg
Thank you for the Information Danji 😃👍🏻

Hearing about a new Jet Set Radio like

Screaming Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Seriously though, there are few games I'm hungrier for. I'm a deep value gamer who rarely spends more than $15 on a game, but I'd pay $70 day one for a new Jet Set Radio

Reactions: Isa

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
? Why couldn't they do both?

What does wanting Persona 6 have to do with a remake of Persona 3?

Soooooo 99.9% sure this is by a completely different team, they already make new games...they are just making a remake too.

As in, also, as well, on top of, in addition to. I really don't know how many fucking times this needs to happen for some of you to understand that majority of remakes, are not by the original teams lol We literally saw Yakuza 1 and 2 remade and still got Yakuza 6 and Like A Dragon and Judgement 1 and 2 and Fist Of The North Star....

Didn't see that fucking stopping new games bud.

Its a dead myth with very little behind it other then lazy assumptions

adamsapple adamsapple Agreed 100%. I don't even know why many thought a Remake wouldn't happen cause a port came out. Fuck does that have to do with a remake? lol That wouldn't even be the first time that ever happened and I still don't get why many felt a remake would never happen based on ports lol

GTA III, VC and SA was ported to PS4 and still remade on PS4 after lol Capcom ported RE4 to the PS4 and has a remake of it on PS4 lol So this isn't some impossible, unlikely type of thing or something. I felt they would remake 1-4 to catch people up and modernize the IP like we saw with Yakuza series. So this isn't too surprising tbh.

They can do whatever they want as long as they make something new and original as well but Atlus is gonna Atlus so I'm expecting anther remake of Persona 5 in the next 2-3 years. Persona 6 or something new is prolly coming in the next 5 years so w/e.

Doom85

Bc money talks. Plenty of Japanese games skip Xbox. I'm ok with MS getting on the boat and locking some down. Could open the door to more support for Xbox

It didn’t work in the gen (PS3/360) when Sony initially fucked up with their pricing and such and 360 could have gotten more Japanese fans with their exclusive deals, but those fans just didn’t bite. Now in a gen where Sony is clearly ahead in sales, it REALLY won’t work.

At most Xbox might get a timed exclusive deal and even that’s pretty iffy. No game company is going to sabotage their sales by a lot unless they are offered a large amount for exclusivity, and I doubt Microsoft would because at this point they have to realize Japanese games sell far more on Nintendo and Sony consoles.

Mokus

Atlus definitely has a separate team making remasters and remakes for quite some time. Only for the 3DS they brought about 6 games from older systems that I know and were not rushed ports. Today they are really expensive in physical format. And the latest is the Shin Megamix Tensei III for multiple systems.

Honestly the simple ports of Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden shocked me, but now with the news of the Persona 3 remake it means everything is normal and some here should stop crying about it.

Last edited:

EDMIX

They can do whatever they want as long as they make something new and original as well but Atlus is gonna Atlus so I'm expecting anther remake of Persona 5 in the next 2-3 years. Persona 6 or something new is prolly coming in the next 5 years so w/e.

yea i got no clue where you got any of that info from. Chances are the ones making Persona 3 remake, are not the ones making Persona 6....they have nothing to fucking do with Persona 6 lol

When this rumor first came out, it was literally about Persona 6 and Persona 3 remake

Soooooo when Yakuza 1 and 2 got remade, its not like we just magically stopped getting Yakuza games lol I have no clue where this even comes from mind you as more examples show the teams that do the remakes, are not the mainline teams.

As in, Bluepoint games remade Demon Souls, not FromSoft, but any educated guess could understand that based on historically how remakes are generally made. So I don't see enough here to say this is some either or.

Using this logic, you should worry if we are going to get Elden Ring in time, I mean Demon Souls is being remade lol

You should worry about if we get GTA6 in time too, with that GTA Trilogy and all. lol

Last edited:

Fabieter

Bc money talks. Plenty of Japanese games skip Xbox. I'm ok with MS getting on the boat and locking some down. Could open the door to more support for Xbox

It could damage their brand longterm which would be me harmful than a bit of extra cash. As a business thinking short term isn't the best thing most of the time.

EDMIX

Exactly why I waited

Same.

I saw it was the nasty Portable Version and felt my PS3 PSN digital version was the way to go lol Heard the remake Rumor and was like "hell the fuck nah we buying that trash port" lol I also felt very sure they'd remaster 3 and 4 and remake 1 and 2 similar to how we saw the Yakuza remakes and rebranding when they were marketing it more and expanding the IP.

Hopefully they remake 4 too and continue with 1 and 2 or something so the whole series is up to modern standards like we saw with Yakuza.

BryceNobody

The same insider who leaked the P3 remake and has supposedly been vetted by Era mods is heavily hinting that the Persona 3 remake might be revealed at the Xbox keynote.

Which would be a fairly shocking turn of events if true.

S0xF7Dj.png
That would be downright insanity. Persona 3 Remake Xbox exclusive? For a series historically synonymous with PlayStation??

Keanu Reeves GIF

…damn. It’s not a massive franchise compared to the likes of Final Fantasy/Diablo/etc., but it’s arguably never been more popular thanks to P5’s buzz.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That would be downright insanity. Persona 3 Remake Xbox exclusive? For a series historically synonymous with PlayStation??

Keanu Reeves GIF

…damn. It’s not a massive franchise compared to the likes of Final Fantasy/Diablo/etc., but it’s arguably never been more popular thanks to P5’s buzz.

No one said anything about exclusivity, just that it will be revealed at the event. Like how Persona 3/4 current-gen ports were revealed at the Xbox event last year.

BryceNobody

No one said anything about exclusivity, just that it will be revealed at the event. Like how Persona 3/4 current-gen ports were revealed at the Xbox event last year.
Yeah, that was speculative on my part. Even choosing to reveal at Microsoft’s event over Sony’s upcoming showcase would be pretty crazy.

Maybe Sega struck a deal for some timed exclusives? Or they just want to align with the Microsoft showcase? Who knows.

Last edited:

Fabieter

The same insider who leaked the P3 remake and has supposedly been vetted by Era mods is heavily hinting that the Persona 3 remake might be revealed at the Xbox keynote.

S0xF7Dj.png

Maybe they even moneyhatted the game.

reksveks

I suspect that they won't get the game exclusive but I could see a marketing deal and potentially a GP drop. I wonder if MS is giving more than just money to Sega, ala a Azure deal (which is kinda a form of money) to sweeten their relationship.

FingerBang

S0xF7Dj.png
I heard the game is going to be shown off soon. If it gets shown at the Xbox keynote, I imagine it's going to be a day one game pass game later this year.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It was teaser for new Fantasy RPG by Hashino (creators of Persona 3,4,5 and Catherine) after he left Persona Team and created Studio Zero……That was loooooong time ago.

ReFantasy2.jpg
It's been ~7 years. What's taking them so looooooooong? It feels like forever ago:messenger_weary:

Last edited:
Same.

I saw it was the nasty Portable Version and felt my PS3 PSN digital version was the way to go lol Heard the remake Rumor and was like "hell the fuck nah we buying that trash port" lol I also felt very sure they'd remaster 3 and 4 and remake 1 and 2 similar to how we saw the Yakuza remakes and rebranding when they were marketing it more and expanding the IP.

Hopefully they remake 4 too and continue with 1 and 2 or something so the whole series is up to modern standards like we saw with Yakuza.

Exactly. Even Persona 5 is just a PS3 game.

I agree with you completely. You remake 3, then 4. Then you go back and remake 1 and 2 and by that time you can do a P5 remake as well.

I think they can really take their time with Persona 6 and 7.

Persona 5 brought in so many new fans (myself included) and the other games are just entirely too dated to have the same impact now. I've seen a bit of 3 and probably played about 15 hours of P4 on PC before deciding to wait. Then I heard about the ports and got excited, but they look like they have no real improvements, so I decided to wait for the remake.

It's the same argument for the Witcher 1 remake and a God of War 1-3 remake. The most recent games in the franchises are wildly more successful, but it doesn't mean those weren't great games. Easy to pair the popularity with new tech and existing games and deliver something people will want.

I just hope P6 isn't cross gen.

I heard the game is going to be shown off soon. If it gets shown at the Xbox keynote, I imagine it's going to be a day one game pass game later this year.

Makes sense, one of the few major franchises Microsoft could probably afford to moneyhat. They want to make an impact on Japan, but what will really happen is just no one will buy the game and Atlus will get frustrated and port it to PS5 and probably PS4.

Or it'll be next gen exclusive and release on XSeries and PS4.

If the P3 rumor is true it'll likely be the same as the whole P3P/P4G on "modern platforms" situation where Xbox announced it first but it will come to all other platforms like Switch, PS, PC.

Astray

Gold Member
Feels like a marketing contract to me, but wouldn't mind buying it on Xbox/PC if the game is good.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)

S0xF7Dj.png
This guy is a fucking clown. Comes in, confidently says something, provides no concrete details, refuses to elaborate.

Hasn't even been through their clown vetting procedure. I think it was one of the mods saying they had heard a similar rumour, which everyone there has just decided means something.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It took longer than that to make Persona 5
Actually, it was just 5 years if we're talking about full-on development Project Re Fantasy is being made by different team out of 3 ATLUS has. Don't get me wrong, it's probably a gigantic undertaking for them as it's their first new IP in years and all that.
But I guess my point being is that they've announced it way too early and they should't have. Just to give you an example, Persona 5 was announced almost at the end of 2013 and was released less that 3 years later.

One can probably argue, that ATLUS haven't officially announced anything cuz the game don't even have a name (at that time, I'm sure it has now though, after 7 years), but... it was clear as day that it's a game and they're developing it, so whether it has a name or not technically doesn't even matter. It's just taking them way too long even considering the time Persona 5 was in pre-roduction and before it was released, we had roughly 2+ years of marketing campaign, promos etc. etc.

It is deffinitely not going to be current-gen only game just cuz of the fact that it started development during early PS4's life cycle, so it's for sure will be cross gen game and probably Sony's exclusive for at least a few years. I can't wait to see what they've done cuz given P5 was PS3 game technically, it looks absolutely amazing cuz of incredible art and god-like stylisation with the mix of 2D art and 3D environment, but they can do so much more with PS4's hardware, plus fantasy setting just screams gorgeous natural environments, rivers, fields, huge castles etc. in contrast to concrete jungles.

Anyway, in case you can't tell, I can't wait to see what they've done, let alone play it. It for sure will be the best JRPG in years and I don't expect anything less:messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

FingerBang

Makes sense, one of the few major franchises Microsoft could probably afford to moneyhat. They want to make an impact on Japan, but what will really happen is just no one will buy the game and Atlus will get frustrated and port it to PS5 and probably PS4.

Or it'll be next gen exclusive and release on XSeries and PS4.
I doubt the next gen exclusivity since this has been in development for at least 4 or 5 years. It's highly likely cross-gen. It could be a timed exclusive for Xbox Series in the west, but I doubt it's going to happen because of the relationship Sony has (or at least used to have) with Atlus when it comes to Persona. There's a reason P5R took forever to get on Nintendo Switch, even though it made a ton of sense (the reason being Sony 💸 Atlus).

P6 has also been in development for a long time and it could again be a Sony exclusive, though I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

Kurotri

Actually, it was just 5 years if we're talking about full-on development Project Re Fantasy is being made by different team out of 3 ATLUS has. Don't get me wrong, it's probably a gigantic undertaking for them as it's their first new IP in years and all that.
But I guess my point being is that they've announced it way too early and they should't have. Just to give you an example, Persona 5 was announced almost at the end of 2013 and was released less that 3 years later.

One can probably argue, that ATLUS haven't officially announced anything cuz the game don't even have a name (at that time, I'm sure it has now though, after 7 years), but... it was clear as day that it's a game and they're developing it, so whether it has a name or not technically doesn't even matter. It's just taking them way too long even considering the time Persona 5 was in pre-roduction and before it was released, we had roughly 2+ years of marketing campaign, promos etc. etc.

It is deffinitely not going to be current-gen only game just cuz of the fact that it started development during early PS4's life cycle, so it's for sure will be cross gen game and probably Sony's exclusive for at least a few years. I can't wait to see what they've done cuz given P5 was PS3 game technically, it looks absolutely amazing cuz of incredible art and god-like stylisation with the mix of 2D art and 3D environment, but they can do so much more with PS4's hardware, plus fantasy setting just screams gorgeous natural environments, rivers, fields, huge castles etc. in contrast to concrete jungles.

Anyway, in case you can't tell, I can't wait to see what they've done, let alone play it. It for sure will be the best JRPG in years and I don't expect anything less:messenger_beaming:
I feel it's a combination of being very ambitious (it's called Re:Fantasy because they want to tackle the idea of the current understanding of what a fantasy rpg is) and not having a lot of staff. I read in some (older) japanese interview that they were barely 30 people.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I feel it's a combination of being very ambitious (it's called Re:Fantasy because they want to tackle the idea of the current understanding of what a fantasy rpg is) and not having a lot of staff. I read in some (older) japanese interview that they were barely 30 people.
I can't help but think that over these 7 years the team has grown signigicantly, especially considering the fact that a project of such magnitude basically requires it.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

S0xF7Dj.png
You're talking about Atlus, those are the same fuckers that release Person 3/4 Remasters for PC a good year before a Playstation or even a console announcement.
It's not shocking at all with their recent decision.
It like being shocked that PC announcement being at the Playstation Showcase.
All those companies are in full retard mode.

Last edited:

LordCBH

I doubt the next gen exclusivity since this has been in development for at least 4 or 5 years. It's highly likely cross-gen. It could be a timed exclusive for Xbox Series in the west, but I doubt it's going to happen because of the relationship Sony has (or at least used to have) with Atlus when it comes to Persona. There's a reason P5R took forever to get on Nintendo Switch, even though it made a ton of sense (the reason being Sony 💸 Atlus).

P6 has also been in development for a long time and it could again be a Sony exclusive, though I don't know for sure.

It’ll sell extremely well on PlayStation as thsts where the fans are. Sega is being smart by taking Microsoft money for marketing considering it’ll sell about 5 copies on Xbox.

cireza

Banned
I wonder if MS is giving more than just money to Sega, ala a Azure deal (which is kinda a form of money) to sweeten their relationship.
This is not a secret at all.

PSO2 made it to the West after Microsoft stepped in to handle all the infrastructure part.
Then, Microsoft has been partnering with SEGA to help them improve their development environment with Azure for their future, large scale projects.

This will benefit SEGA as a whole, as Microsoft are not giving them some quick-cash and support to develop a temporary exclusive game on a single console.

Last edited:

reksveks

This is not a secret at all.

PSO2 made it to the West after Microsoft stepped in to handle all the infrastructure part.
Then, Microsoft has been partnering with SEGA to help them improve their development environment with Azure for their future, large scale projects.

This will benefit SEGA as a whole, as Microsoft are not giving them some quick-cash and support to develop an temporary exclusive game on a single console.
Meant a bit deal than we thought

GHound

I'm starting to think this entire project is not even in development phase and Atlus just forgot about it.
That we haven't hear so much as a peep in the past ~17 months considering development was supposedly "reaching its climax" in December of 2021 doesn't exactly inspire confidence, yeah.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That we haven't hear so much as a peep in the past ~17 months considering development was supposedly "reaching its climax" in December of 2021 doesn't exactly inspire confidence, yeah.
This is why I fucking hate when some devs announce their game way too fucking early. Its my big reason why I respect devs like Monolith Soft so much, they announce their games when they actually have something to show.

Look at P5R for PS5 being gimped and not being able to upgrade to it or move your saves from ps4 despite being able to move your saves across X1 and XSeries. That seems deliberate.

FingerBang

Look at P5R for PS5 being gimped and not being able to upgrade to it or move your saves from ps4 despite being able to move your saves across X1 and XSeries. That seems deliberate.
I wouldn't underestimate the incompetence of atlus

It’ll sell extremely well on PlayStation as thsts where the fans are. Sega is being smart by taking Microsoft money for marketing considering it’ll sell about 5 copies on Xbox.
It's a win-win. Atlus gets the money and MS can claim they have Japanese games

Last edited:
Top Bottom