• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5: Royal - Review Thread (PS5|Xbox|Switch)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The review embargo for this port has lifted and holy shit folks still love them some Persona 5.

Opencritic - 94
Metacritic - 95 (Switch version, others don't have enough reviews to aggregate)

Adding more blurbs now.

PC Gamer: 94 / 100
Endlessly slick, the battles and story are a joy to play through. No turn-based JRPG feels as good as this.
Read full review
RPG Fan: 97%
Persona 5 Royal is an experience that no JRPG fan should miss, pure and simple. While it's an extremely satisfying experience overall, there are some rather visible areas for improvement in Persona 6. Nevertheless, this game is a modern classic.
Read full review
10 / 10.0
Persona 5 Royal was a masterpiece when it launched, and two years later, it is more resonant than ever. No matter what system you play it on, you are in for a treat, and one of the greatest games ever made.
Read full review
Nintendo Life: 10 / 10
Persona 5 Royal is the very definition of 'required reading' for JRPG fans. A deep and moving story, stylish presentation, amazing soundtrack, and decision-driven gameplay all combine to make for an unforgettable and exceptional experience that proves itself to be every bit deserving of the hype and praise it's already received. While those who have played this elsewhere may want to consider whether Switch's portability is enough of a selling point to justify paying full price to double dip, but it suits it perfectly. Persona 5 Royal remains a game that we absolutely recommend you pick up as soon as you can. This easily stands as one of the very best RPGs of the last decade and you'd be doing yourself a disservice to miss out.
Read full review
XboxEra: 8.8 / 10.0
Excellent turn-based combat is carried further by gorgeous visuals, an incredible soundtrack, and a story filled with brilliant twists and turns. It’s available day one on Xbox Game Pass and if you’re looking for a game to put over 100 hours into (conservatively) then do yourself a favor and give this one a go.
Read full review

OdFGvw3.png

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Goddamn I cant wait to play Royal, even if I finished P5 when it released and watched my ex gf play through 1/3d of it again on ps3 emu.

Now for a real pc playthrough hell yeah

SoraNoKuni

May replay it as I gave up on the original in the final chapter and now I can't recall the story.

Are there any significant graphical changes?

EDMIX

95?!?! for a port?!?!? GAH DAYUMN

I think we need to really sit down and question how a remaster should be rated.

Like, if the last game got a 10/10, what the fuck would the remaster get if its better in some area like frames or something? If they liked the last one, what on earth would 30 extra frames do? 11/10? lol

I think we should merely rate it on whats new.

Thats it.

I love Persona, but as someone who bought it at launch, then again with Royal, I see no reason for me to buy a PS5 remaster, of a PS3 title folks...need I remind many, this game literally is a PS3 game, that got a PS4 mid development lol From what I've seen from the PS3 version, it looks near identical to the PS4 version, to then go on PS5....I just don't see a wild difference for me to care and this seems like its for those who never played it prior, but even if they didn't....save the money and buy Royal used on PS4 and play it thru BC lol I don't think I'm missing much.

Between the original and Royal, it got native 4K on PS4 Pro. So this is probably the same and also 60 FPS (Pro was locked at 30 FPS).

Don't think there are any more beyond that.

True, so that means even when my PS5 comes on the 28th, I probably shouldn't waste any energy on this one and just play the PS4 version thru BC right?

Impotaku

This game still holds the top spot for best RPG i have ever played, they story & characters were fantastic. I loved slowly building relationships with all the characters especially at the end when all that work pays off as part of the story. Put 130+ hours into the PS4 version i'm more than willing to shell out for switch version for another journey with the phantom thieves.

• Strength
Reactions: Isa

nowhat

Between the original and Royal, it got native 4K on PS4 Pro. So this is probably the same and also 60 FPS (Pro was locked at 30 FPS).

Don't think there are any more beyond that.
And yet there's no upgrade path I take it?

I think I'll stick with PS4 BC, 60fps in a game like this is a non-issue for me. If I replay it ever again, I think even the base game really overstayed its welcome, the Royal edition very very much so. You do get a consolidation waifu though if you've blown your chances before, so I guess there's that.

adamsapple

And yet there's no upgrade path I take it?

I think I'll stick with PS4 BC, 60fps in a game like this is a non-issue for me. If I replay it ever again, I think even the base game really overstayed its welcome, the Royal edition very very much so. You do get a consolidation waifu though if you've blown your chances before, so I guess there's that.

Correct. As of July the official response was that you need to buy it again, no upgrade path from PS4 > PS5

adamsapple

PS.

For first timers, or even people who have already played OG but never Royal.

It is very easy to miss out on the whole new semester content, for that you need to make sure you max out your confidants with the 2 new characters as much as possible in the game. It is time sensitive in the in-game days.

You will get a lot of opportunities to do so, but in case you completely avoid those 2 characters, you will not get to see all the new extra content that takes place post the original games ending.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PS.

For first timers, or even people who have already played OG but never Royal.

It is very easy to miss out on the whole new semester content, for that you need to make sure you max out your confidants with the 2 new characters as much as possible in the game. It is time sensitive in the in-game days.

You will get a lot of opportunities to do so, but in case you completely avoid those 2 characters, you will not get to see all the new extra content that takes place post the original games ending.
Quoting you just to let everyone know that they reaaaally should care about this.

I had to speed run the whole game after beating it because I missed the new content and ofc I wanted to see it. Don't let that happen to you. :goog_relieved:

Danny Devito Lol GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Yup, your ONE sale will make a world of difference.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF
If everyone thought "why do anything cause it wouldn't make a difference" then nothing would ever happen. One of anything adds to the whole. Or else people wouldn't vote if they thought "my one singular vote won't do anything" silly guy. Value the power of your singular existence my guy.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
If everyone thought "why do anything cause it wouldn't make a difference" then nothing would ever happen. One of anything adds to the whole. Or else people wouldn't vote if they thought "my one singular vote won't do anything" silly guy. Value the power of your singular existence my guy.
Not the same thing at all.

The companies make money from the Gamepass deals, it's been proven. They won't care so much about sales.

They ripped people off who bought Persona 5 claiming the minor changes of Royale couldn't be implemented in a patch, fuck these greedy cunts.

Not the same thing at all.

The companies make money from the Gamepass deals, it's been proven. They won't care so much about sales.

They ripped people off who bought Persona 5 claiming the minor changes of Royale couldn't be implemented in a patch, fuck these greedy cunts.
Do you think they'll use gamepass player metrics to determine if they'll release PS6 on xbox or weight raw sales more? Genuinely curious. I think gamepass metrics will play into it but sales will also play a role on if they release ps6 imo.

LordCBH

Do you think they'll use gamepass player metrics to determine if they'll release PS6 on xbox or weight raw sales more? Genuinely curious. I think gamepass metrics will play into it but sales will also play a role on if they release ps6 imo.

The ultimate decider for a company like Atlus is going to be:
“Is Microsoft willing to pay for the port again?” Simply because the precedent, at least to them, has been set.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
117 hrs in the PS4 version. IMO, the game is a must play. Was my first Persona ever, and i'm hooked on the series now!!! I can't wait to see what they have in store for P6!!

Oh and obligatory post of the song you'll be hearing so often when you play, which is amazing! The whole soundtrack is fantastic!

Swoon

I'm not a big JRPG guy, but I loved Yakuza LAD and generally like turnbased combat (Favourite being Xcom). Is P5R something similar?

Reactions: Isa

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I either need to figure out Gamepass on Steam Deck or just get this on Steam cause I really loved playing P4G on my Deck. These games are best when you can get some of that slice of life sitting in bed or throw it on the big screen and sound for some dungeon crawling with an epic soundtrack.

Ultimate mood theme:

Top Bottom