• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5: Royal - Review Thread (PS5|Xbox|Switch)

nordique

Never got around to playing it on ps4 due to being on the go

Guess that means I can grab the switch version then lol

Isa

Got a few of my friends to dl it on GP, I'm really interested to see how people not exposed to it will enjoy it. I know my friends have been slowly but surely opening up their gaming horizons and learning to enjoy and appreciate slower more strategic TB games.

I personally already have the game on PS4/5, both og and Royal. But I only played up to a certain point each time, and my girl played through the whole way. After whining and bothering MS for years I have to get this. I'll wait for that GP discount, but I want to show my support. I would absolutely love to see 13 Sentinels and Catherine FB get ported as well. I hope this does well for them, I wonder what direction Atlus plans on taking P6. So many games have been influenced by the intense art style and flair, how can they top it? Really excited to see what stories they could tell next.

hemo memo

Gold Member
P5R is perfect on Switch as the game is sooooooo looooooooong. I don’t have a 100 hours + game in me right now.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Good thing I am a degenerate weeb
bad movies endless trash GIF

Aurelius

People who have never played this game are in for such a treat. I wish I could erase it from my mind.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Is it really 100 hours of good content?
Yep. I doubted that and it blew my mind. The story is crafted completely from beginning to end (and after with the new semester of content royal has). No grind for the main story. It adds new elements deep into the game too, so things never felt like a old. So much A+ content. It's the only persona I've ever played, but I'll never miss another going forward. As others have noted though, there are also hours of dungeon crawling which isn't the best, but the combat more than makes up for it. Good enemy placement and variety.

It was also the highest rated PS4 exclusive (not exclusive any more), beating out Bloodborne, God of War, and Last of Us. Fucking insane.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Going on a surprise work trip for 8 days starting Saturday and was planning on a New Game + / Golden Route attempt in Triangle Strategy but now I wonder if I should pick up P5R instead. I've only ever beaten the base game on PS4 and that was 5 years ago.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Not the same thing at all.

The companies make money from the Gamepass deals, it's been proven. They won't care so much about sales.

They ripped people off who bought Persona 5 claiming the minor changes of Royale couldn't be implemented in a patch, fuck these greedy cunts.

So you call the other guy a clown for buying and owning a JRPG on Xbox despite it's subscription availability, and now you're spewing some activist bullshit against the developer for not pampering you with an easier upgrade path to the bonus content?

Who's the fucking clown supposed to be here again?

Sojiro

Damn, surprised its holding that well in ratings considering its a port. Will be getting the switch version day 1, the 100 ish hour game estimate is a bit daunting, but hopefully the game keeps interesting throughout the entire time to make it worth that game length. Excited to jump in.

Last edited:

nikos

Really stuck between playing this on PC or Switch.

Switch:
+Portable.
+OLED is a pleasure to use.
-Sub-native res in handheld mode, which is how I'd play it 100% of the time, but it doesn't look too bad.
-30 FPS, though that's not horrible for this type of game.

PC:
+/-Where I spent most of my time gaming, but it's not the type of game I usually play on PC.
+/-Not portable unless I also play via cloud, which is usually not a very good experience.
-No ultrawide support, would have to hope for a community fix.

It's a shame to leave so much performance on the table by going with the Switch version, but this game is sort of perfect for it. What makes it worse is there's already a 60 FPS mod for hacked Switches and it seems to work perfectly. Same with using docked resolution in handheld mode.

This will be my third time starting the game. Need to get it right so I can actually finish it this time. Would've been an easier decision if it at least ran at 720p in handheld.

Last edited:

Switch:
+Portable.
-Sub-native res in handheld mode, which is how I'd play it 100% of the time, but it doesn't look too bad.

PC:
+/-Where I spent most of my time gaming, but it's not the type of game I usually play on PC.
+/-Not portable unless I also play via cloud, which is usually not a very good experience.

It's a shame to leave so much performance on the table by going with the Switch version, but this game is sort of perfect for it. What makes it worse is there's already a 60 FPS mod for hacked Switches and it seems to work perfectly. Same with using docked resolution in handheld mode.

This will be my third time starting the game. Need to get it right so I can actually finish it this time. Would've been an easier decision if it at least ran at 720p in handheld.
Can you mod the switch oled? I modded one of day 1 switches

jaysius

Banned
So you call the other guy a clown for buying and owning a JRPG on Xbox despite it's subscription availability, and now you're spewing some activist bullshit against the developer for not pampering you with an easier upgrade path to the bonus content?

Who's the fucking clown supposed to be here again?
Still against Atlus dude. It's not hard to figure out.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Wasn’t Royal a rerelease years ago with rave reviews? Why is it getting re rereleased now with mid 90 scores lol

What’s wrong with a great game (that’s on Switch, Xbox, PC and more) getting rave reviews.

Gambit2483

Switch:
+Portable.

PC:

This is the perfect kind of game for handheld play. Lying in bed for a quick session before bed or taking it with you on a trip for a quick play, imo, is a godsend for a 100+hr game

Besides, it's the kind of game that doesn't really need 60fps to enjoy and looks great on a 720p OLED screen.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Will buy for PS5 since I already have all of my progress and trophies from the PS4 version on there, even though nothing carries over.

kubricks

I still remembered the good times with p3p on PSP and P4G on Vita. Now we have P5R on Switch! Honestly can't wait to get my hand on it as handheld is the only way I can play these long ass JRPG.

april6e

I'm so jealous of all the PC players who will be experiencing this for the first time. It truly is one of the great modern JRPGs.

Not sure how a slightly enhanced version of this game is getting such rave reviews, especially for it being sold at full price. People are losing their goddamn minds imo.

Extra lame that there’s not even a discounted upgrade path for owners of Royal.

Top Bottom