• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5: Royal - Review Thread (PS5|Xbox|Switch)

For someone who's never played these series of games is this a good start?

or should I get another one? or even the standard 5?
Definitely not vanilla. If you're getting P5, make it royal

I like the previous ones better but if you are not weeby enough to have them already, maybe p5 is a better starting point because of the greater resources used in creating it

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Cool i finished ni no kuni on gamepass just some alchemy left to do .
I will try this to scratch my JRPG itch i feel this year

Reactions: Isa

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
BOTW is a port from last ben WiiU, were you shocked?

PS5 is the greatest JRPG ever, period, and Atlus is the king (sorry Nintendo and Square Enix and Banco).
No because the wii u and switch versions launched at the same time. Persona 5 is 6 years old. These scores shoulda been given to the original game

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
PC:
+/-Where I spent most of my time gaming, but it's not the type of game I usually play on PC.
+/-Not portable unless I also play via cloud, which is usually not a very good experience.
-No ultrawide support, would have to hope for a community fix.
You could get a steam deck and enjoy the benefits of pc with the portability of switch

I don't need reviews. I've played the everloving shit out this game. It's a god tier game and one of my favourites of all time.

All I need to know is that the PC and Switch ports aren't shit because that's where I'm buying it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You don't say. I was backing you up and saying that the 6 year old game is the original not Royal :messenger_expressionless:
Royal is basically Persona 5 but better, either way it's still just an improvement on a 6 year old game.

I understand the critical acclaim, i've played the game myself, it's awesome. But this is a port, they should be reviewing it based on if it's a well made port and if it adds anything. They should have given these amazing scores to the original royal

20cent

Banned
If we combine PS5/Xbox/Switch reviews then the ones that came out for the original release are still relevant.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Is combat any better than p4g? That one was a chore after xx hours.
Much better. More options, feels faster and has better enemies (SMT demons instead of previous Persona's shadows). Also, demon negotiation is back from mainline SMT instead of the cards you got on P4 at the end of a fight.

Gambit2483

Not sure how a slightly enhanced version of this game is getting such rave reviews, especially for it being sold at full price. People are losing their goddamn minds imo.

Extra lame that there’s not even a discounted upgrade path for owners of Royal.
Because it's still an amazing game worth playing that millions more will now get to experience?

Also, let's not act like ever since Joker's inclusion in Smash people haven't been BEGGING for the day this would finally happen.

ssringo

For anyone wondering about a PC specific review to include the Steam Deck. Not really familiar with the site but the content of the review seems good.

If you do have a Steam Deck and were wondering how Persona 5 Royal is on it, it is fantastic and exceeded my expectations in just about every way.

No because the wii u and switch versions launched at the same time. Persona 5 is 6 years old. These scores shoulda been given to the original game
No. WiiU version was done months before and hold back for the Switch.

I could have taaken any other WiiU games ported over Switch.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The Steak Deck will be the definitive handheld experience. It will be glorious. No other handheld comes close to my favorite one.

I love this game. I haven't even played the Royal version yet. For anyone even remotely interested, it is literally the sleekest, best paced JRPG out there that still uses turn based combat. Nothing has come close since in the genre.
It is long but it is very rich. The themes and ideas are very much based in the real world.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Is there a reason why some people seems uncomfortable that the improved, remastered version is getting great reviews?

graywolf323

For anyone wondering about a PC specific review to include the Steam Deck. Not really familiar with the site but the content of the review seems good.

another good review that talks about the Steam Deck performance (as well as Switch for comparison)

Shtef

I might try this game but from what I have seen its overwhelming with visual effects, it hurts my brain.

Just look at this:

mcjmetroid

So is this version worth playing for someone who DID get along with the original Personal 5 but found the padding too much?

Does it fix the pacing of the game at all?

Blizzje

Is this game not available to buy digitally on ps5? I've been combing through the store and I've only found the ps4 version so far. It's supposed to be coming out tomorrow, has anyone found it?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is this game not available to buy digitally on ps5? I've been combing through the store and I've only found the ps4 version so far. It's supposed to be coming out tomorrow, has anyone found it?
I’ve noticed that too. I don’t think it will show up until the game is released. On Steam for example, the store page is up but no price or ability to preorder or preload.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does anyone know what the unlock times are ?

Wondering if I can take a quick trip to New Zealand to play early on game pass.

decided i'll buy the game for Switch tomorrow and i'll wait for a sale for the PC version. This is the kind of game I want to play while chilling out in bed, on the couch, or on the train. I can't be arsed sitting at my PC playing the game all the time. I already have P4G on Steam but I think I'll wait for the Switch version to replay it.

cheapest i can get the game, digitally on switch, is ~£50. that's a lot for a 3-6 year old game that i've already bought twice essentially. but fuck it it's one of my favourite games of all time.

It's Atlus you're dealing with lol. You're expecting too much from them.

Yeah it's coming out tomorrow so you'll need to check again tomorrow. The Steam page for the game still doesn't even let you pre order it or even pre load! All you can do is wishlist it.

Atlus are really incompetent when it comes to listing their games and putting stuff up for pre order/load. They are so backwards as a publisher/developer. They are so slow at doing anything.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
New Zealand gooooooo !

It's definitely 4K/60 FPS at the minimum. Any other visual improvements yet to be seen.

Also, for first timers. Royal includes all the bonus DLC from the previous versions, i-e you can have access to incredible powerful game breaking persona very early.

baiEbah.jpg

Last edited:
To new players jumping in, take your time and enjoy! It truly is one of my favorite games and I’m excited for you to play it! Wish I could play it for the first time again
the game itself says it all...

iu

New Zealand gooooooo !

It's definitely 4K/60 FPS at the minimum. Any other visual improvements yet to be seen.

Also, for first timers. Royal includes all the bonus DLC from the previous versions, i-e you can have access to incredible powerful game breaking persona very early.

baiEbah.jpg
i doubt it goes beyond 4K/60fps lol.

and yes there are "game breaking" personas but there is a boss that will force you to play a certain way. i struggled with it in Royal (not OG) despite using these powerful personas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom