• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5: Royal - Review Thread (PS5|Xbox|Switch)

New Zealand gooooooo !

It's definitely 4K/60 FPS at the minimum. Any other visual improvements yet to be seen.

Also, for first timers. Royal includes all the bonus DLC from the previous versions, i-e you can have access to incredible powerful game breaking persona very early.

baiEbah.jpg
Really wish it supported uncapped vrr I suspect ir would be 90-100 uncapped and they put in the work to support 120 on pc

Celcius

°Temp. member
Even though they charge full price for the ps5 version, I just wish saves and trophies carried over. Oh well.

Last edited:

Wunray

decided i'll buy the game for Switch tomorrow and i'll wait for a sale for the PC version. This is the kind of game I want to play while chilling out in bed, on the couch, or on the train. I can't be arsed sitting at my PC playing the game all the time. I already have P4G on Steam but I think I'll wait for the Switch version to replay it.

cheapest i can get the game, digitally on switch, is ~£50. that's a lot for a 3-6 year old game that i've already bought twice essentially. but fuck it it's one of my favourite games of all time.

It's Atlus you're dealing with lol. You're expecting too much from them.

Yeah it's coming out tomorrow so you'll need to check again tomorrow. The Steam page for the game still doesn't even let you pre order it or even pre load! All you can do is wishlist it.

Atlus are really incompetent when it comes to listing their games and putting stuff up for pre order/load. They are so backwards as a publisher/developer. They are so slow at doing anything.
Where did you get it for 50 pounds?

Wait fucking seriously ? Are you sure you're not playing the PS4 BC version ?

On Xbox it shows a gen9 app and it's 4K/60 on Series X.
I'm playing the ps4 version but I thought there was no ps5 version ...

Yup- just double checked the store there is no ps5 version and no update came for royal. It's 30 fps on ps5. What a great way to treat the loyal customers who've already bought this game ....twice, Atlus.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yup- just double checked the store there is no ps5 version and no update came for royal. It's 30 fps on ps5. What a great way to treat the loyal customers who've already bought this game ....twice, Atlus.

Oh, PS5 is supposed to get a separate native version as well, there's no upgrade path unfortunately.

There is a page on PS's website for it but it only has a wish list option

z2b3NNp.png
z2b3NNp.png

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
After all the fuzz about this game in forums I might as well try it on gsmepass although I am not a fan of JRPGs.

I can't stand JRPGs but everyone makes such a big deal about this game, I might try it after I finish Requiem and Scorn since it will cost me nothing. There have been so many games I was sure I wouldn't like that I ended up loving so maybe this will be another one.

I can't stand JRPGs but everyone makes such a big deal about this game, I might try it after I finish Requiem and Scorn since it will cost me nothing. There have been so many games I was sure I wouldn't like that I ended up loving so maybe this will be another one.

For what it’s worth I share your dislike of JRPGs , turned based stuff in particular however I enjoyed the original Persona 5 on PS4, it has a charm to it which kept me going to finish it.

nocsi

You’re playing the PS4 version. Otherwise your rant is very confusing. The PS5 version is 4k/60fps

game is unlocked for me now on switch (uk) will be playing it later after work :D
Where did you get it for 50 pounds?
switchup.gg with a 10% off code "SWITCHUP".

you can buy 2x £15 and a £25 eshop voucher and get 10% off so it's like £49.50

never heard of the site before but i was watching a youtube video that advertised it. seems legit but i ended up just buying my vouchers from amazon.

adamsapple

Even though it was never a game that took that long to do stuff anyway, having the SSD powered load times be so quick and snappy adds another notch to the great presentation the game has always had.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m liking 60 fps more than I thought I would.
Also, wasn’t the ps4 pro version using checkerboard rendering and not native 4K?

You’re playing the PS4 version. Otherwise your rant is very confusing. The PS5 version is 4k/60fps
So there is a ps5 version but I don't get a patch for 60 fps since I own the ps4 version on ps5 ....

If that's the case that's shameful from Atlus. People bought this game not once but twice and they can't give us 60 fps?

Trunx81

5 hours in and it plays like a dream on Switch. Graphics are ok in handheld mode, the text is big enough to read. Load times quick, even from a fresh start. Feels like PS4G on Vita again.

Dreamin

I had it on PS4 but the console died and for reasons I can't remember I didn't backup my saves so lost it, probably about 10 hours in. I'ma download it now for PC, gamepass style. Are there any other improvements besides being able to up the res to 4k? I wouldn't expect anything but after hearing it's coming out for PS5 maybe there are other improvements and it's not just a kick in the nuuuuuts if you want to play it on PS5?

Freeman76

New Zealand gooooooo !

It's definitely 4K/60 FPS at the minimum. Any other visual improvements yet to be seen.

Also, for first timers. Royal includes all the bonus DLC from the previous versions, i-e you can have access to incredible powerful game breaking persona very early.

baiEbah.jpg
Please elaborate, this is a game i dont mind breaking

adamsapple

Please elaborate, this is a game i dont mind breaking

Oh it's nothing you have to do extra stuff for, you get a notification in the game after a few in game days that you redeem some bonus stuff, and as soon as you get the ability to access the persona compendium, you have access to really high leveled Persona (like LV 90) that you can use from the start. Normally you need to be the same level as a Persona to use it, but these DLC persona you can use even at level 1.

Oh it's nothing you have to do extra stuff for, you get a notification in the game after a few in game days that you redeem some bonus stuff, and as soon as you get the ability to access the persona compendium, you have access to really high leveled Persona (like LV 90) that you can use from the start. Normally you need to be the same level as a Persona to use it, but these DLC persona you can use even at level 1.
Can we request to atlus to add vrr support to allow the framecap to be set to 120 instead of the current 60

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Game is insanely good, not gonna deny that, but you know the RPG turn based genre hasnt evolved jackshit in six years when the same game manages to launch 3 very similar versions of it and it still gets the same initial praise.

200.gif

Last edited:

TonyK

I was amazed the first 50 hours of game, but I skipped absolutely all dialogs and videos the last 50 hours, even the final ones. Game went from masterpiece to torture in a single playthrough. Regardless that I get the Platinum because I'm a fucking masochistic.

Gambit2483

Also purchased a copy on Xbox 🤷‍♂️
Still hasn't arrived yet though 🥲

But I'm playing a game already ATM, so it's not a big deal.
My Amazon order shipping date changed twice now. My friends Gamestop order also got delayed by several days. Sounds like it's been a processing nightmare on retailers end

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man, I expected better but even with supersampling the game looks rough IQ wise. On the upside this should run very well on the Deck.

nocsi

So there is a ps5 version but I don't get a patch for 60 fps since I own the ps4 version on ps5 ....

If that's the case that's shameful from Atlus. People bought this game not once but twice and they can't give us 60 fps?
Welcome to Atlus? Persona 5: Royal has been released on PS4 for 3 years now. Why would you expect them to automatically upgrade you with a whole new SKU? If somebody owns it on PS4, they probably played through the 100 hr game already. I doubt 60fps is worth making it a replay. Anyways, I get it for something like Cyberpunk 2077 where it was released at the same time. Even something like Dragonball Z: Kakarot is within the same year. But for something that's 3 years old....

Ftr, I own Persona 5 (PS4), Persona 5: Royal (PS4) and now Persona 5: Royal (PS5).

Trunx81

Thanks, didn’t know this. But the lvl90 eats through my SP like a madman.

Welcome to Atlus? Persona 5: Royal has been released on PS4 for 3 years now. Why would you expect them to automatically upgrade you with a whole new SKU? If somebody owns it on PS4, they probably played through the 100 hr game already. I doubt 60fps is worth making it a replay. Anyways, I get it for something like Cyberpunk 2077 where it was released at the same time. Even something like Dragonball Z: Kakarot is within the same year. But for something that's 3 years old....

Ftr, I own Persona 5 (PS4), Persona 5: Royal (PS4) and now Persona 5: Royal (PS5).
Charging full price for a resolution and framerate update isn’t okay. We have seen much older games offer upgrades at no cost, and some offer a discounted upgrade to get the features on PS5. Meanwhile xbox has been doing it for free on even older games going back to the original Xbox.

Let’s not act like this is a new sku built from the ground up. It’s just an update taking advantage of more powerful hardware, they should have offered an upgrade path for prior owners.

Last edited:

Bippicaster

Neo Member
I loved this game, this release is just an excuse to play it again and I’m thrilled. After 100%ing on PS, I’m really happy this is on game pass so I can do the same on Xbox at no extra charge

Reactions: Isa

Orbital2060

A couple of things annoy me with the game - the map is almost useless for navigation and navigating inside builidings and areas like the metro system is a pain in the ass - but god damn its awesome to play and such a well built JRPG with tons of depth and content.

I sat for a while clicking through the Royal bonus content when it appeared. All 40 pieces of DLC, thats a lot of stuff.

nocsi

Charging full price for a resolution and framerate update isn’t okay. We have seen much older games offer upgrades at no cost, and some offer a discounted upgrade to get the features on PS5. Meanwhile xbox has been doing it for free on even older games going back to the original Xbox.

Let’s not act like this is a new sku built from the ground up. It’s just an update taking advantage of more powerful hardware, they should have offered an upgrade path for prior owners.
You’re more than welcome to not purchase the game. Let capitalism decide. If you’re arguing about Xbox features then take that up with Sony. Fps boost has nothing to do with Atlus

Orbital2060

Is there any way to store

Raul

after you pick him up from the compendium? Or do you have to pay the full sum for him again?

Im early on and he is lvl 76 and crushing everything lol

Especially cause it’s not giving us all the options for settings literally where is the option to uncap the framerate to 120 when using vrr on ps5 and series x this shouldn’t be an unreasonable request considering they are asking for 60 bucks

Top Bottom