• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Developer Atlus Wants to Release a 'Pillar' Game in 2022

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://gamerant.com/atlus-new-game-2022-persona-6/

Few Japanese developers are as acclaimed as Atlus, the development studio and publisher behind the Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games. Atlus has been on a bit of a hot streak, releasing Persona 5 Strikers earlier this year and Shin Megami Tensei 5 back in November. While that's already a decent helping of video games, it appears Atlus has one more trick up its sleeve for 2022.

As translated by Gematsu, Famitsu recently released its annual end-of-the-year developer interviews, which just so happen to include a quote from Atlus' Shinjirou Takada. In the quote, Takada stated that he chose "Challenge" as his keyword for 2022 "in hopes to release a title to the world that will become a pillar for Atlus." Takada went on to say that Atlus is hard at work developing a new game and that he hopes fans will look forward to it.

The most obvious answer is Persona 6, which Atlus has already more or less confirmed when it stated that it would have to make another entry to exceed Persona 5. The original Persona 5 launched in 2016, which would leave a 6-year gap between the two projects – a healthy timeline for a sequel. Persona 6 also fits the bill as being a "pillar" game, as the franchise is well-regarded and tends to make an impact when new entries release.

It's also possible that by "pillar" Atlus means an entirely new IP, which could be propped up besides both Persona and SMT. If that is the case, fans will have something entirely new to be excited about. For now, though, all fans can do is wait patiently for more information.

Spaceman292

Banned
The time between Persona games is pretty ridiculous for something so popular. I know a lot of time goes into them, but still.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm just hoping that whatever it is gets a western release as the same time as the Japan release.

Impotaku

People misheard & they are actually releasing a pillow game based on persona that look like dakimakura, when you summon a persona it just pops up as a pillow. Lol put it on next gen & they might win a bit of japan back.
1920px-thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
The time between Persona games is pretty ridiculous for something so popular. I know a lot of time goes into them, but still.
Persona 5 is a PS3 game.

Now we're probably about ready to see their attempt at a PS4 game. They're usually about 5-8 years behind.

I could see them releasing something smaller like Catherine.

wOs

I'm ready for a new persona and another attempt at them not making the first two hours a slog. At least this started better until they pulled the rug for what seemed like 3 weeks worth in game days hitting x.

Thief1987

It should be something already announced, no? Because Atlus isn't known for reasonable announce-release cycles.

Last edited:

Labadal

I know it's not it, but I would love a Devil Survivor 3. The new Etrian Odyssey game would also be cool. (I think that they announced one?)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You're absolutely high if you think this is gonna be P6.
If it is P6 I hope they do something about once more System, I just can't go back to that after SMT5's proper press turn.

Once more was build with original Persona 3 in mind because in that game you couldn't control your party members so it made sense that character you do control have multiple turns.
I also why MC is wild card and able to equip multiple Persona because he needs to fill the role healer, supporter and attacker exactly because you had no control over your party members.

But later games when you could control your party, once more system balance changed and enemies barely stand a chance against you.

cireza

Banned
But later games when you could control your party, once more system balance changed and enemies barely stand a chance against you.
Battles have been a tedious, brainless chore in recent Persona games. Pretty bad honestly.

I am currently replaying Skies of Arcadia, and as always, SEGA demonstrates how you can have an engaging yet simple battle system, that forces you into thinking who should do which action, and when to defend. And this applies to all battles, not only bosses. Same in Lost Odyssey by the way, very clever battle system yet simple actions available to the player.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Battles have been a tedious, brainless chore in recent Persona games. Pretty bad honestly.
They need to do something about the balance, in once more you have too much advantage over enemies.

SMT5 was so fun because both enemies and bosses pushes back and encouraged you to build different party set up with each encounter.

lachesis

I guess it's that Re Fantasy game...
but I wouldn't be surprised if they made a Columns (Pillar) v.s. game with Persona characters at this rate... :(

ACESHIGH

Banned
Meh. Just port your .massive back catalog to PC at a decent pace and properly coded. That's challenging enough for them.

Start with vanillaware stuff

Three

If it is P6 I hope they do something about once more System, I just can't go back to that after SMT5's proper press turn.

Once more was build with original Persona 3 in mind because in that game you couldn't control your party members so it made sense that character you do control have multiple turns.
I also why MC is wild card and able to equip multiple Persona because he needs to fill the role healer, supporter and attacker exactly because you had no control over your party members.

I think on normal it's way too easy but they do have a merciless difficulty which is too much of a challenge even with the One More mechanic.

Danjin44

I think on normal it's way too easy but they do have a merciless difficulty which is too much of a challenge even with the One More mechanic.
My problem with Once More system is that it was designed around original Persona 3 because in that game you couldn’t control your party members.

You want MC have multiple turns because he was only one you can control and switch between multiple Personas in battle because you couldn't rely on AI party to heal and support.

but once you could control them balance goes out to window.

YukiOnna

The pillar game was hogwash.
Re:Fantasy is MIA, Persona 6 hopefully won't take 2 extra years to release, and I still need a definitive edition of Persona 3...

They're lucky SH2 is coming to be honest.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It’s actually soul hackers 2
Yeah, very clearly Soul Hackers 2 has turned out to be a big AAA release for Atlus. Not something anyone would have guessed, but they're positioning it to be one of their "big" games like SMT5.

Top Bottom