• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pete Hines (Bethesda) on Starfield and Redfall

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Is it just me or around 13:00 he sounds like he would have wanted Starfield on PS5?
Seems quite possible MS gave them the "game by game basis" line and Bethesda folks lost that argument after purchase.

Both Hines and Howard aren't really ecstatically trumpeting the company lines lol

Also just possible they are truly apologizing as I'm sure a lot of fans have not been happy and probably shat on them on social media.. they do have a lot of Playstation fans.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

“I don’t know how to allay the concerns of PlayStation 5 fans other than to say, well, I’m a PlayStation 5 player as well, and I’ve played games on that console, and there’s games I’m gonna continue to play on it,” Hines said. “All I can really say is, ‘I apologize,’ because I’m certain that that’s frustrating to folks, but there’s not a whole lot I can do about it.”

Aion002

That's nice of him... He didn't need to say anything about it.

I think that every game maker wants to release their games on every platform, more sales, more people being able to enjoy their work and stuff... It's a pity that some just can't.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
Why would he even say this? From a corporate perspective, it just seems really dumb...

SuYo28I.gif

reksveks

Is it just me or around 13:00 he sounds like he would have wanted Starfield on PS5?
Yeah, I don't know if it's something that they are torn up about (not to say he isn't genuinely upset). I think he and Todd is a creator and most genuine creators wants people to view/play their games but Hines accepts the commercial nature of making a game.

He also seems happier by the fact that the barrier of a 70 quid purchase is removed by gamepass and so alot more people in the gamepass ecosystem will play the game.

I think Hines is a guy who would be pushing for xcloud on PS.

fermcr

Seriously, people need to get over it. If you want to play Microsoft games, get a Xbox or PC... just like if you to play Sony or Nintendo games, you have to get their console.

Sony and Nintendo purchase developers, nobody complains. Microsoft purchases a developer, all hell breaks loose...

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is Sony's fault, frankly. They should allow Gamepass on Playstation.
They allow EA access, so why not say to MS you can bring Gamepass (or a first party only version) of it PS.

Sony should publicly offer it, because I'm almost certain Xbox would not do it despite saying they want it on all platforms and Sony are not their real competition.

Fredrik

He seemed annoyed at some questions, probably heard them a million times before, still an interesting interview, lots of tough subjects brought up

reksveks

Why does it seem like he's really hurt about this?

He doesn't need to say anything.

Seems a weird message to send out there.
Cause he got the question from tamoor, 'what would you say to upset PlayStation fans?' and he didn't want to say no comment.

He seems like a genuine guy but he understands the business part of the industry.

He also seemed happy that alot of players in the gamepass ecosystem were more likely to try the game out cause its effectively free.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If you want to play the game, stop being cheap and buy a system it’s on. I want to play Spider-Man and FF7r, so I buy a ps5. If you want to play Starfield save up and buy a PC or Xbox. Hell you can even still use your ps5 controller if you want on a pc.

Is he trolling? Sounds like a troll post :LOL: .

Anyway, yeah it's what it is. Anyone who was gaming pre-PS2 knows there were always big games you'd miss out on if you didn't own every system. PS2 was just kind of the first console where it felt like that wasn't the case anymore (even though technically it was still true).

Some folks need to realize that you'll never get those days back, there'll never again be a single platform with 90%+ of the industry's games in one spot...and that's probably for the best.

This doesn't happen when we see Sony and MS try to outdo each other with timed 3rd party exclusives.

He doesn't need to apologise, business is business.

I think he's just trolling fanboy extremists who are too cheap to buy a 2nd console, a smartphone, computer, laptop, or tablet and/or $15 a month on a sub for a device they likely already own.

At that point, there's no reason to apologize. But plenty of reason to laugh.

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't really know why they have been tip toeing around the subject for months.
This is only news because instead of being like "We bought Bethesda, they are a first party now. Outside of already established deals all future games will be Xbox and PC exclusive just like every other first party dev" they've been avoiding the subject, or giving vague "we'll see on a game to game basis" answers.

Top Bottom