• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pete Hines (Bethesda) on Starfield and Redfall

Spidey Fan

Banned
qPnvp09.jpg
Oprah Winfrey Reaction GIF

ANIMAL1975

Seriously, people need to get over it. If you want to play Microsoft games, get a Xbox or PC...
lol, that's an even better point. Forgot that they're still going to PC.
And the TV dongle.

Fanboys are the better advertisement. No need to say it once, when their arguments puts on you on the headline for entire year.
the simpsons me fail english thats unpossible GIF

You do know that your post history is public young junior warrior? I'm starting to think you don't have mirrors at home.

Spidey Fan

Banned
And the TV dongle.

the simpsons me fail english thats unpossible GIF

You do know that your post history is public young junior warrior? I'm starting to think you don't have mirrors at home.
I wish I was sadly, but I am not. I like to poke on both.

I may come strongly for gamepass, but that is because value wise, its great for casual like me. Free Microsoft exclusive, and I save my money for PlayStation exclusive. In other news, I get to enjoy both systems thnx to gamepass.

Excuse me? They purchased a publisher with multiple studios and multiplatform franchises under their belt, not " a studio".
So? They would be a PlayStation Studio right now if Sony had wanted to pony up the cash. Microsoft and Bethesda don't owe anyone anything. You enjoyed their games on other consoles before? Good. If you want to continue enjoying them, get an Xbox or PC.

Nubulax

So? They would be a PlayStation Studio right now if Sony had wanted to pony up the cash. Microsoft and Bethesda don't owe anyone anything. You enjoyed their games on other consoles before? Good. If you want to continue enjoying them, get an Xbox or PC.
Insomniac 229 million... Zenimax 7.5 BILLION.....

Thats a bit of a difference to "pony up"

Moneywise that is 32 Insomniac acquisitions..people dont seem to get how insane throwing up 7.5 BILLION is for studio acquisition

Between Minecraft and Zenimax MS have spent almost 10 Billion dollars

Last edited:

elliot5

Insomniac 229 million... Zenimax 7.5 BILLION.....

Thats a bit of a difference to "pony up"

Moneywise that is 32 Insomniac acquisitions..people dont seem to get how insane throwing up 7.5 BILLION is for studio acquisition

Between Minecraft and Zenimax MS have spent almost 10 Billion dollars
It's the value of IP, man. Insomniac is a steal, but they have hardly any value IP on their own. That's why they were cheap to buy.

reksveks

I wonder what Bethesda expects from Starfield, You know in terms of sales. Does MS really believe by the time Starfield releases there will be enough Xbox owners out there to offset the loss of potential Playstation sales?
I don't think Bethesda are thinking too much about unit sales anymore, they don't need to. I don't think Microsoft are as well. It's probably all about Gamepass subscriber numbers and engagement.

The Alien

Banned
Where are the makers of Final Fantasy that have to explain and justify why their games will be exclusive to Sony?

This is stupid fanboy bullshit TBH.

Reminds me of when Keighley relentlessly pestered Phil Spencer about the timed exclusivity for ROTR. I truly wish Phil just bitch slapped him in the mouth.

If Sony made thus purchase, thered be zero doubts about exclusivity. MS bought Bethesda for $7.5B. Fork over $7.6B or keep your mouth shut.

Greggy

It's the value of IP, man. Insomniac is a steal, but they have hardly any value IP on their own. That's why they were cheap to buy.
IP + Tech (IdTech) + publishing infrastructure.
Zenimax runs its own studios and requires no time from Max Booty who can focus on XGS. They can handle the pipeline all the way to distribution if required.
Insomniac are devs. They can only handle the pipeline until the disc press.

Blond

Banned
I still think it’s low key hilarious how many people on this forum talk about buying 2500 dollar televisions and theater level sound systems all the while saying “m0neY isnT aN issUe 4 m3” yet a 300 dollar box that you can walk into target and get most weeks is breaking the bank for them while they also (apparently) own high end PCs.

Maybe lay up on the high balance credit cards for a while?

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
“I don’t know how to allay the concerns of PlayStation 5 fans other than to say, well, I’m a PlayStation 5 player as well, and I’ve played games on that console, and there’s games I’m gonna continue to play on it,” Hines said. “All I can really say is, ‘I apologize,’ because I’m certain that that’s frustrating to folks, but there’s not a whole lot I can do about it.”
donald trump GIF

So would that mean Indiana Jones is exclusive as well even though the acquisition wasn’t finalized yet when they announced Indy?
Depends on Disney. I do think that MS will try to negotiate the contract regarding exclusivity. We'll see closer to release.

Exactly. And this goes for all devs on all platforms. I really can’t see why any game developer would want to exclude gamers on certain platforms. Dream scenario must be that the whole world plays your game.
Actually there is a narrative I hear from time to time that people resign if they can't make the games for Playstation anymore. It is some occult thing or something.

If only MS thought of a way...
Playstation owners will be able to play Starfield on their TVs (I hope they use one when performing their rituals) or if Sony allows browser on the console :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Redtemplar

Neo Member
So if you purchase one studio at a time, it's good. If you purchase various studios at the same time, then it's bad.
Ok, got it... (y)
Wath are you even talking about, are you really that dumb or are you trying to make us dumb with that comment?
The problem here is not buying one or various studios, the problem is buying one publisher with multiple multiplatform franchises with huge fanbase on other platforms that helped that franchises to grow over the years.
This kind of Microsoft practices doesn´t help the gaming industry or the gamers in general it only helps them, the games were going to reach both platforms already.
It's much healthier the strategy that sony uses buying small talented studios or funding projects that need the help from the big players to finance their projects and their visions.
I'm not saying that sony is the good guy and microsoft is the bad one, both have done a lot of things that just benefits them, and not the game industry or the gamers as a whole.
But the worst it can happen in this industry is the purchase of this big publishers like zenimax and all their popular properties it is just wrong and bad for the industry it just helps the ego of some fanboys thats all.

Neolombax

I think its smart of him to appeal to gamers like this, especially Sony fans. Instead of having console warring, why not just buy both consoles. Smart man.

I don't think Bethesda are thinking too much about unit sales anymore, they don't need to. I don't think Microsoft are as well. It's probably all about Gamepass subscriber numbers and engagement.
I know gamepass is something MS is pushing hard but couldn't people get it for a $1 for Starfield and then cancel it when they beat it? I mean I would lol.

Fredrik

Actually there is a narrative I hear from time to time that people resign if they can't make the games for Playstation anymore. It is some occult thing or something.
Lol I’m not even surprised, sounds like a typical millennial thing 😂 Oh well, no loss, games will get better if adults are making them 👍

reksveks

I know gamepass is something MS is pushing hard but couldn't people get it for a $1 for Starfield and then cancel it when they beat it? I mean I would lol.
There is a couple of things:
- the stock market might not care honestly in the short term
- even if 20% of the users whom join for Starfield don't cancel afterwards, that could be an decent increase in subscribers

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wonder what Bethesda expects from Starfield, You know in terms of sales. Does MS really believe by the time Starfield releases there will be enough Xbox owners out there to offset the loss of potential Playstation sales?

if we go by the internet an absolute shedload of PlayStation owners have good pc’s so they can justpick it up on PC. Failing that, there’s the various ways MS will have cloud gaming by next holiday so peeps could subscribe To gamepass for a month or two?

Last edited:

We are in the thread where he said this :

“I don’t know how to allay the concerns of PlayStation 5 fans other than to say, well, I’m a PlayStation 5 player as well, and I’ve played games on that console, and there’s games I’m gonna continue to play on it,” Hines said. “All I can really say is, ‘I apologize,’ because I’m certain that that’s frustrating to folks, but there’s not a whole lot I can do about it.”

He can flip-flop as many time he wants.

Like i've said, he didn't whined before :

Looks like Bethesda, alongside with bugs in their games, also have bugs in their statements

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I might get this response from them since these games would have been multiplatform anyway. It was announced before the acquisition and not after so why compare it with the Sony studios? Those games wouldn't even see the light on Xbox anyway.

Dibils2k

i dont understand what the issue is with PS fanboys?

I thought since everygame on xbox is also on PC, there isnt any actual xbox exclusives... so play it on your PCs

The Alien

Banned
I think the only IP they brought with them is Sunset Overdrive.
Correct.... and as much as I loved SSOD, it ain't a very valuable commodity.

Maybe it finds new life on PS if it gets remastered. But honestly can't see that happening when they can devote resources and time to make a 12M selling Spiderman game.

CRAIG667

This.

Fanbois are missing the big picture when they talk of sales.

It's all about subs.

Enjay

Banned
I will show solidarity with the absolute pain pete hines is going through by not buying this game then until it's given out free to everyone in the world.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Pete Hines sat down during the Xbox Games Showcase Extended to talk about what makes Starfield a true Bethesda game experience. He detailed the emphasis on player choice, and how Bethesda is giving the player tools to play however they want, whether that's guns blazing, exploring its 1,000 worlds, or just following the story.

Timestamps
0:00 Intro
0:10 Redfall and Starfield Delays
1:27 Redfall breakdown
5:34 Elder Scrolls Online
7:05 Fallout 76
9:01 Starfield

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
If you want to play the game, stop being cheap and buy a system it’s on. I want to play Spider-Man and FF7r, so I buy a ps5. If you want to play Starfield save up and buy a PC or Xbox. Hell you can even still use your ps5 controller if you want on a pc.
Its really that simple. Sony fans need to get used to things as they are now. E.S.6 and Fallout are also going to be exclusive. There has to come a time when you just accept it. Its not like you can't just play the game on PC, Steam, Cloud and soon Samsung TV's. You've got options! Not to mention the new puck they have coming. It's kinda crazy how many ways you can play the game without even owning the console.

Pedro Motta

I don't know about wanting it on PS5 as much as wanting as many people to play the game and being sad that some people who were excited to play the game now have to purchase it on either Xbox or PC instead of for the PS console they own.

And his sadness is understandable.
I would bue sad to if they removed my game from the platform thats sells the best.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
The day Sony allows gamepass on Playstation is the day I can walk into a store and purchase a PS5.

It's a bold play on Microsofts part, hoard enough exclusives to a point where Sony can no longer ignore it and potentially force their hand, but I don't think Sony would ever allow it.
Just get it on PC or play it on Cloud. It'll be on GP and that's just about on every platform. Whats the issue? You guys are weird!

Top Bottom