• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pete Hines (Bethesda) on Starfield and Redfall

ethomaz

Banned
It is fine they are a MS studio now.
It should weird to have the game being cross-platform.
There is nothing to apology at all.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Is it just me or around 13:00 he sounds like he would have wanted Starfield on PS5?
Those were the original plans so definitely. But I bet that goes for every other 1st party studio, best scenario for all devs would be if the whole world plays your game, I don’t think anyone want to lock people out except the suits who simply want to use your creation to lure people into investing in your product.

He made it sound like a relief to not have to bother about the game running on more platforms though. It’s positives and negatives.
And as he said there are many ways to play MS exclusives, and more will come, even the most stubborn fans will come out of the grumpiness and realize this sooner or later. There are many doors, only one has been closed.

sublimit

Banned
SadDetailedBlowfish-size_restricted.gif

bender

What time is it?
Yes people, outside of the couple games already under contract for PS5, time to accept that Doom, Wolf, ES and all Beth jank will be exclusive to the MS platform..
cGhCxpZ.gif

I still remember the bear getting launched in the GiantBomb QL. Memories man, sigh.

NickFire

Is he trolling? Sounds like a troll post :LOL: .

Anyway, yeah it's what it is. Anyone who was gaming pre-PS2 knows there were always big games you'd miss out on if you didn't own every system. PS2 was just kind of the first console where it felt like that wasn't the case anymore (even though technically it was still true).

Some folks need to realize that you'll never get those days back, there'll never again be a single platform with 90%+ of the industry's games in one spot...and that's probably for the best.

I think he's just trolling fanboy extremists who are too cheap to buy a 2nd console, a smartphone, computer, laptop, or tablet and/or $15 a month on a sub for a device they likely already own.

At that point, there's no reason to apologize. But plenty of reason to laugh.
The irony of this post is amazing.

But anyway, sure, you are correct. Until MS purchased these games some gamers thought you could get all games on a single platform. Thank you for setting everyone straight now.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
I don't really know why they have been tip toeing around the subject for months.
This is only news because instead of being like "We bought Bethesda, they are a first party now. Outside of already established deals all future games will be Xbox and PC exclusive just like every other first party dev" they've been avoiding the subject, or giving vague "we'll see on a game to game basis" answers.
Fanboys are the better advertisement. No need to say it once, when their arguments puts on you on the headline for entire year.
Season 1 Applause GIF by Law & Order

Greggy

Who knew Pete was the soft one between him and Todd? Toddy H was like “I love being on Xbox only” and the business guy says “sorry”. Hum..
My take is they’re probably just covering all angles here.
Everybody’s job stability got better at Bethesda as part of this and they have one less dev kit and demanding platform holder to focus on. I fail to see the downside for them. They play those games before anybody anyway and many of them cashed out as part of this. I don’t believe that they are truly heartbroken about some people needing something a system other than a PlayStation to enjoy the games.

Last edited:

NickFire

Who knew Pete was the soft one between him and Todd? Toddy H was like “I love being on Xbox only” and the business guy says “sorry”. Hum.. My take is they’re probably convering all angles here.
What makes you call Pete the soft one? Wouldn't he be taking more risk by not pretending that he loves that his company was bought out?

jhjfss

Images of pete and Todd being "Sorry" ps5 users can't play bethesda games.
Give me a fucking break. I doubt they give a shit, i know i wouldn't if i was in their position.
GIF by netflixlat
jon stewart crying GIF

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Is it just me or around 13:00 he sounds like he would have wanted Starfield on PS5?

They're game is going to reach less players. As developers it's something the Phil Spencer's can't understand. Phil sees dollar signs, devs working on the game probably just want their work to be in as many gamers hands as possible. In the end though people at the top signed the contract so here we are.

Greggy

Risk of being fired for publicly apologizing for what MS decreed to start with.

So now that the obvious is answered, why would he be the soft one again?
You missed my theory which is the double angle PR approach. Think good cop bad cop, to simplify more. I get the feeling that it’s needed.

Greggy

They're game is going to reach less players. As developers it's something the Phil Spencer's can't understand. Phil sees dollar signs, devs working on the game probably just want their work to be in as many gamers hands as possible. In the end though people at the top signed the contract so here we are.
I thought it was bad that Xbox had no exclusives.
And the Insomniac devs must be fuming about Spider-Man being unknown to the Xbox community then.

NickFire

Would be interesting to know if any of the impacted devs have unit sales bonuses. If so the sorrow could be legit for financial reasons too.

Fredrik

devs working on the game probably just want their work to be in as many gamers hands as possible. In the end though people at the top signed the contract so here we are.
Exactly. And this goes for all devs on all platforms. I really can’t see why any game developer would want to exclude gamers on certain platforms. Dream scenario must be that the whole world plays your game.

jhjfss

Exactly. And this goes for all devs on all platforms. I really can’t see why any game developer would want to exclude gamers on certain platforms. Dream scenario must be that the whole world plays your game.
If only MS thought of a way...

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

If only MS thought of a way...
The day Sony allows gamepass on Playstation is the day I can walk into a store and purchase a PS5.

It's a bold play on Microsofts part, hoard enough exclusives to a point where Sony can no longer ignore it and potentially force their hand, but I don't think Sony would ever allow it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

A few gullable people here. Just look at his sob face when saying it :messenger_tears_of_joy: , he's basically saying 'Guys please dont give me any online hate, it was nothing to do with me'.
Microsoft and Bethesda have been in talks since 2018, they will of knows for ages that their games would be Xbox and PC.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Microsoft and Bethesda have been in talks since 2018, they will of knows for ages that their games would be Xbox and PC.
So would that mean Indiana Jones is exclusive as well even though the acquisition wasn’t finalized yet when they announced Indy?

jhjfss

The day Sony allows gamepass on Playstation is the day I can walk into a store and purchase a PS5.

It's a bold play on Microsofts part, hoard enough exclusives to a point where Sony can no longer ignore it and potentially force their hand, but I don't think Sony would ever allow it.
Why exactly does gamepass need to be on playstations? MS already confirmed stream sticks for cheap, and even an app directly on smart TV's. Why give sony 30% when you can switch between ps games and the gamepass app with your TV remote?

Stuart360

So would that mean Indiana Jones is exclusive as well even though the acquisition wasn’t finalized yet when they announced Indy?
Its hard to say with Indiana Jones, as Disney themselves may of said they want the game on everyhting, and the only way they get the license is to do that.
I think there is a chance Indiana Jones will be on PS5, and maybe Switch.

Fitzchiv

PlayStation Fans: our console has the best exclusives, fuck you!

Also PlayStation Fans: yeh, you apologise for not making your game available on our console because it's an exclusive! Damn right!

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
PlayStation Fans: out console has the best exclusives, fuck you!

Also PlayStation Fans: yeh, you apologise for not making your game available on one console because it's an exclusive! Damn right!
Also PlayStation fans: that apology wasn’t sincere, he’s only saying that to help promote his game.

(Actually not really. I don’t think anybody was expecting or asking for this apology. It was a nice gesture. Just really weird to see a first party developer apologize that their games aren’t on the competitor’s console)

Fredrik

Its hard to say with Indiana Jones, as Disney themselves may of said they want the game on everyhting, and the only way they get the license is to do that.
I think there is a chance Indiana Jones will be on PS5, and maybe Switch.
Seems reasonable yeah. I think it was like 2 weeks before the acquisition was final so maybe it was a planned thing so they could still do some multiplats.
Have they said anything about The Elder Scrolls? That too was announced before the acquisition.

Reallink

They earn bonuses based on unit sales, so of course they want access to the PS user base.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Seems reasonable yeah. I think it was like 2 weeks before the acquisition was final so maybe it was a planned thing so they could still do some multiplats.
Have they said anything about The Elder Scrolls? That too was announced before the acquisition.
Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield were announced at the same time, and Starfield is coming first, and is exclusive, so i see no reason why it wouldnt be the same with Elder Scrolls 6.

I don't really know why they have been tip toeing around the subject for months.
This is only news because instead of being like "We bought Bethesda, they are a first party now. Outside of already established deals all future games will be Xbox and PC exclusive just like every other first party dev" they've been avoiding the subject, or giving vague "we'll see on a game to game basis" answers.
Yeah, very vague...
Starfield-announces-release-date-with-trailer-and-will-be-exclusive-1024x576.jpg

That art for Starfield is incredible

Yeah, I remember how people did not need Xbox because each and every of them had a beefy PC :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I didn't say that 🙂 lots of people need an Xbox to play Bethesda games. I'm just saying that they're also playable on PC so you're not necessarily missing out just because the games aren't coming to PS5 and you don't own an Xbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom