• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Jackson’s Weta Digital Sold for $1.62B to Tech Firm Unity

Aggelos

Unity Software Inc. (a.k.a. Unity Technologies) announced that they have acquired Weta Digital. The deal is set to close by the end of the year.

Unity-Weta-3.jpg

"Weta is the Wellington, N.Z.-based VFX house behind the Oscar-winning effects on Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings and James Cameron’s Avatar. The deal is expected to close before the end of the year."

Peter Jackson added: “Together, Unity and Weta Digital can create a pathway for any artist, from any industry, to be able to leverage these incredibly creative and powerful tools. Offering aspiring creatives access to Weta Digital’s technology will be nothing short of game changing and Unity is just the company to bring this vision to life.”

On the tech side, with this transaction Unity acquires Weta’s 275 engineers and proprietary technology including Weta’s 3D data platform and tools including Manuka and Gazebo renderers, Barbershop hair and fur system, Loki physics-based simulation tool for water and smoke; and facial capture technology.
“We are thrilled to democratize these industry-leading tools and bring the genius of Sir Peter Jackson and Weta’s amazing engineering talent to life for artists everywhere,” said Unity president and CEO John Riccitiello in a released statement.

Last edited:

McCheese

Unreal Engine has been increasingly used in film and TV VFX, so this is a power-play by Unity so they get a big fat foot in that door by incorporating Weta's tools into it's engine.

Important distinction:
Weta Digital’s VFX and animation teams will continue to exist as a standalone entity, known as WetaFX, which is expected to become Unity’s largest customer in the media and entertainment space. WetaFX, with about 1,700 employees, will remain majority-owned by Jackson and led by CEO Prem Akkaraju.

They also have a Weta Gameshop that was working on AR stuff with Magic Leap but that didn't really work out. The guy who blew up Barad-dur all by himself for ROTK worked on the HL2 Episode 2 cinematic physics. That was 15 years ago (lol) but it's probably a good indicator of what Weta can do in games. The rooftop destruction still looks good today.

And before someone imagines Total War style battles like in ROTK, MASSIVE is owned by its inventor, not by Weta.

Another exciting element of this acquisition is the asset library we'll inherit from Weta Digital, which includes urban and natural environments, flora and fauna, humans, man-made objects, materials, textures, and more. The WetaFX team will continue their industry-leading VFX work for major film and TV productions and feed into this asset library for years to come.
This is huge.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I thought that Randy guy owned WETA that was the impression I got watching all the special editions movie making content.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I thought that Randy guy owned WETA that was the impression I got watching all the special editions movie making content.
I would assume Jackson (or his production company) was able to make an offer after LotR came out.

Top Bottom