• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Molyneux, legend

Bragr

Banned
He started up a blockchain game last year and people got angry, and he's been a meme for decades, but Peter Molyneux is a legend of the industry and deserves some respect from the zoomers that never experienced his brilliant games.

He started off with Bullfrog, one of the all-time great PC studios.

1989 - Populous & Populous II
The highly praised god games that kicked off the genre and his career.

1993 - Syndicate
The start of the great Syndicate tactical strategy games.

1994 and 1995 - Magic Carpet & Magic Carpet 2
A showcase visual stunner at the time.

1994 - Theme Park
Highly influential superb management game that still resonates today and studios are still copying its design.

1995 - Hi-Octane
A cool racer in the vein of F-Zero and Wipeout.

1997 - Dungeon Keeper
One of the best PC games of the 90s, a legendary dungeon builder.

Then he went on to found Lionhead studios alongside a bunch of others.

2001 and 2005 - Black & White and Black & White 2
Innovate and incredibly ambitious god game, one of the best franchises ever to be "lost in time".

2004, 2008, and 2010 - Fable 1, 2 and 3
A bit overhyped perhaps, but the first 2 are still great, and the second one still holds up reasonably well

2005 - The Movies
A cool management game with an awesome concept

This is a stellar career.

jaysius

Banned
Is he dead or something? There's no reason to make a thread about him right now.

He's infamous for building up hype with features that don't make near the final cut of games.

Also you omitted that retarded mobile cookie clicker app that he made that he said would "Change the world" but then it just, I dunno the person got a small part in the pure trash rts game that he made.

I Dont Understand Whats Going On GIF by HULU

Last edited:
He started up a blockchain game last year and people got angry, and he's been a meme for decades, but Peter Molyneux is a legend of the industry and deserves some respect from the zoomers that never experienced his brilliant games.

He started off with Bullfrog, one of the all-time great PC studios.

1993 - Syndicate

1994 - Theme Park
Highly influential superb management game that still resonates today and studios are still copying its design.

1995 - Hi-Octane
A cool racer in the vein of F-Zero and Wipeout.

1997 - Dungeon Keeper

Innovate and incredibly ambitious god game, one of the best franchises ever to be "lost in time".

A bit overhyped perhaps, but the first 2 are still great, and the second one still holds up reasonably well

2005 - The Movies
A cool management game with an awesome concept

This is a stellar career.
Do you have a list of any good games he made?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is he dead or something? There's no reason to make a thread about him right now.

He's infamous for building up hype with features that don't make near the final cut of games.

Also you omitted that retarded mobile cookie clicker app that he made that he said would "Change the world" but then it just, I dunno the person got a small part in the pure trash rts game that he made.

I Dont Understand Whats Going On GIF by HULU

Plot twist: OP is Peter Molyneux.

abcdrstuv

Banned
I have a fantasy someone with better management skills will remake Fable 2 or 3 and bring all the features he promised..

Esca

I played and loved and liked a lot of his games.
But now he's a sign to stay away and don't listening to his lies

SantaC

Dude made some awesome games in the 90s. Just because he hasnt made a good game in a long time doesnt mean he is a scrub. Even Miyamoto has made some stinkers.

Deerock71

Why doesn't he just come right out and make an (admittedly) cool game entitled Snake Oil? It could be a Metal Gear Solid homage, which involves an AI boy trying to chip away at the secret in the center of the universe?

Last edited:

TheStam

Amazing games really, it's a list of the top notch pc games of that age. The hype was real

Last edited:

spawn

I have not played any of these, but his last good game was 12 years ago? Also, this is the same guy that worked on Project Natal that never came to fruition

Pagusas

Elden Member
I did love Black & White, wish they'd come back.

Only played Populous, B&W 2 and Fable but they were all pretty good! Never understood why he was considered so controversial.

The problem with him is, with all of his games, from the very begining, he promised the world with them. Black & White was sold as being the harbinger of real AI, with endless possibilities (it wasn't, just a lot of nice creature raising and flow chart machine behavior), Spore was sold as the be-all-end-all game of the millennium, it was an absolute failure of a game with nothing but a bunch of stupid mini games jammed together, Fable was suppose to be this living breathing world where what you did truly mattered to the world and narrative... in the end it was just another generic action rpg.

His games can be very good, they can even be 9 out of 10 games/90%ers, but the problem is he ALWAYS sells them early on as the next big "thing", the thing that will change everything. Basically he promises he'll give you Witcher 3 and instead hands you Assains Creed Valhalla.

Last edited:

Madonis

He promised way too much. That was his fatal mistake. Tone down the hype and yes, he has indeed had a solid career. If he was more realistic about setting expectations, few would mind.

Last edited:
Nice, if he could just drop the used car salesman approach of BS, BS and more BS he'd be golden. Out of OP's lists my reactions to what I played -

-Hell yes, great games.

1993 - Syndicate
-Fuck yes, great game. So cool.

-Somewhat yes, solid games at a time where this sort of stuff was pretty tricky and still developing.

1994 - Theme Park
-Yes, yes and yes, unique game during a time of cookie cutter and rip off crap flooding the market. Refreshing style of game and fun to play.

1997 - Dungeon Keeper
-Shit yes, great concept executed really well too.

-Meh, I really liked the concept but I just could not play them for long.

-Meh, not my cup of tea.

Sgt.Asher

I think the complexities of game development finally caught up with his bullshit, and we got to see who he really was.

He's a has-been that made some good games, but no where near a legend.

Skifi28

Seeing how he turned out again and again, I can't help but feel that his earlier successes were made despite him rather than because of him. He probably had a great team that knew when to say no. Once he was a celebrity lead doing what we wanted, his true colors showed.

Last edited:
He's made some good games over the years and that's the entire problem with Molyneux. He would promote them with bold and lavish statements and the final products ended up being simply good, not great or influential classics, just good games.

Havoc2049

People still can't get over that they were never able to plant an acorn and watch a tree slowly grow over the life of their video game character in Fable. Let it go folks and move on with your life!

I loved Populous, Populous II and Syndicate back during the ST, Amiga and PC days. Leveling up my cyberpunk assassin team with all the coolest tech and weapons and laying waste to targets in Syndicate was extremely satisfying.

I really enjoyed the Fable games, but they aren't quite up there with my favorite RPGs of all time.

Bridges

Spore was sold as the be-all-end-all game of the millennium, it was an absolute failure of a game with nothing but a bunch of stupid mini games jammed together
Peter Molyneux didn't make Spore, that was Will Wright with Maxis.

Aaand you're wrong, Spore actually was awesome (for what it was).

The arc of that game's public perception was very Molyneux-esque though.

BigBooper

He WAS a creative genius, developing many games I loved and I'm grateful to him for that.

Batman
WAS the hero until he lived long enough to become the villain.

Top Bottom