• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Molyneux's NFT game Legacy has already sold $50m of "land"

Robochobo

L3D4xml.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Didn't he abandon a crowd funded project? Is this an open scam this time?

Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash should probably become required reading in schools. What an incredibly prescient piece of fiction.

GarlicPrawn

Neo Member
NFT bros buying this dumb shit with zero people actually playing this game when it launches.

Galaxy brain IQ.
Molyneuxs' "success" will most lickely flame the greed of more publishers I'm afraid. With all that sweet crytobro money up for grabs its bit hard to imagine more utter shite games reaching market. This could lead to more resources being focused to farming said bro's, potentially stunting development of original and fun games.

I'm hopefull though that legislation geared towards NFTs might lessen the damage.

GHG

This bubble can't burst soon enough.

But stuff like this makes me hopeful we are approaching the peak.

I'm not surprised, it's the cyberspace way for rich people to say fuck you losers. Everybody can afford a fancy skin, but only rich people can buy some stuff for tenthousands or hundreds of thousands.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I would say this is retarded, but retarded people wouldn’t be dumb enough buy imaginary land for real money.
They do. What's the PC game that has been around for 20 years? You could buy homes and land too. I forget what it's called. I dont think it's Second Life, but thats the only name to comes to mind. But maybe it is that game.

Skim through these beauty links.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I dont know how much costs it takes to make these digital plots of land, but I have a feeling this business model is at least 99% profit margin.

Give Molyneux credit. He knows how to hype up anything he makes.
It's just crazy that people keep eating it

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I sometimes wonder if these facts/headlines are faked/distorted to further push the fomo madness. If it looks like 'many' are buying into something then some actually will. It's still a con scenario, but one in which I'm slightly less ashamed of my species.

It's like stocks, if you undestand those you will. Except you can tank it way more easily and run away with the bag. Also you can look at NFTs here, if you so desire:
OpenSea, the largest NFT marketplace
I wouldn't say NFTs are like stocks. Stocks in short gives you part ownership of a business which generate profits over a long period of time by selling products or services. The better the revenue generating potential, the better the profitability, and the lower the risk makes the business worth more, and hence the stocks also worth more.

NFTs are more akin to collectables. There is no inherent "value" (it can't generate revenues or profits), but it's price is determined by people, maybe based on scarcity, but most of the time based on nothing at all.

zombrex

How is this worse than buying DLC that has zero potential value return?
With NFT's you can irrefutably own unique items and locations in games.
Scarcity creates value even if it is artificial, it's the business model of basically all collectibles and genuine limited editions. If the game is successful these guys could see massive returns.

Alebrije

Just imagine you can not save near a boss battle because all the land around the path is owned by someone so the only way to save or put a camp on those lands are by paying a fee to the owner...

Maybe it sound exagerated but that could be NFTs inthe future..

Its crap and saddly some people will buy NFTs ....

How is this worse than buying DLC that has zero potential value return?
With NFT's you can irrefutably own unique items and locations in games.
Scarcity creates value even if it is artificial, it's the business model of basically all collectibles and genuine limited editions. If the game is successful these guys could see massive returns.
One problem with gaming NFTs is the same as DLC. We already saw how developers created their games to funnel people towards buying DLC. Abusing fomo, making gameplay grindy etc. NFTs will again create that problem.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So these people bought digital land in some game which is still in development?
What will they be able to do with it once/if the games releases?

Ozzie666

Gamers are stupid, especially those with too much money.

I've lost faith in humanity at this point. Eskimos buying ice, people buying bridges.

Please, Aliens, take me to your leader.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
NFT are so new many people just use it as merely speculation. There is no sense to spend 600k dollars for a digital land except to hope in a future increase of value.

A guy made 98M dollars with digital paints made in few pixel, and they are also very bad and simplistic.

MastaKiiLA

I have to look into the tokenomics, but metaverse games are going to suffer a lot of pump and dump schemes. Someone like Peter can traffic off his name, and raise millions of dollars easily, without an actual finished product. Given his development track record, some people are probably going to be waiting a while to see ROI. But this is the future of game development. Why bleed funds building something you don't know will sell, when you can crowdsource funding via ICO or NFT auction, and fund development before you really begin in earnest.

Top Bottom