• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore - Xbox vs PlayStation Console Wars Were Encouraged by Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

winjer

Gold Member

The era of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 was one with its own challenges, like the Red Ring of Death or launch PS3s having technical issues (one of the most prominent being its obscene price). If you were on the internet, you would more often than not hear of the “console wars” and countless debates about which console was better than the other. Some of which rage on to this day if our comments section is anything to go by.

There's an interesting note about this, though, and it comes from Peter Moore, a former Xbox executive. In a report from Gamespot, Moore spoke to the Front Office Sports Podcast, saying that Microsoft essentially encouraged the console wars of the mid-2000s to 2010s.

Moore said, “We encouraged the console wars, not to create division, but to challenge each other, and when I say each other, I mean Microsoft and Sony. If Microsoft hadn't stuck the course after the Xbox, after the red rings of death, gaming would be a poorer place for it, you wouldn't have the competition you have today.”

The Red Ring of Death, when the Xbox 360 was first released, was such a widespread issue that itwound up costing Microsoft $1.15 billion to resolve on future prints of the 360. This, in turn, was used as one of the reasons that PS3 was superior in the console wars at the time. It’s interesting to look back on this era, all things considered.

Moore left Microsoft in 2007 and went on to be EA Sports’ president, then became CEO of Liverpool Football Club, and now resides as an executive at Unity.

Fast-forward to these days, the console wars topic isn’t as prevalent as before. There are still people that fixate on what exclusives are on what platforms. But in reality, PC winds up winning out here, as Xbox and now PlayStation games end up landing on either Steam or the Epic Games Store in some capacity. Was encouraging the console wars to rage on fruitful? Only time will tell.

Perhaps they didn't intend to create division, but the result was encouraging rabid fanboys, attacking each other in the internet.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Everyone did. E3 was a tournament, and you showed up to compete with winners and losers. It was fun.

Being online, like most things, has turned console warring into some kind of toxic mutation of what it used to resemble. Before it was like watching March Madness and seeing rivalries. Now it's like the guy in Robocop that gets hit with toxic waste, and wanders around trying to hug everyone until he gets hit by a car and explodes on everyone's windshield.

Last edited:

Aion002

war transformers GIF

These wars happen with everything. It's part of our nature.

Star Wars vs Star Trek
Apple vs android
Marvel vs DC

It happens with musical acts, etc...it happened before internet existed. It was just less noticeable for obvious reasons...

But Star Wars fans were insuferable decades ago according to even my dad, lmao.

As i grow older i just realize how stupid it all is tbh...

Kimahri

Banned

Perhaps they didn't intend to create division, but the result was encouraging rabid fanboys, attacking each other in the internet.
Those were in place long before Xbox entered the field.

People were batshit insane about this nonsense as fsr back as I can remember.

The difference that happened in parallell with Xbox arriving was more easily available and fast internet for pretty much anyone.

Fredrik

Console wars didn't start in the xbox vs playstation generation imo.

I looked down on the n64 kids with unearned confidence
Lol yeah it’s been going on for a long time, I looked down on the Atari ST kids when I had the Amiga. And the Speccy kids. And the NES kids, because I was a kid too and then kid friendly games obviously weren’t cool enough when I could play C64 where there were red splurting blood and nudity and heads flying 😎

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Lol yeah it’s been going on for a long time, I looked down on the Atari ST kids when I had the Amiga. And the Speccy kids. And the NES kids, because I was a kid too and then kid friendly games obviously weren’t cool enough when I could play C64 where there were red splurting blood and nudity and heads flying 😎
80s and 90s male advertising was just going for maximum Edge. Hell, Kool-Aid man would regularly destroy people's houses and walls just to try and get you to drink his shit. Competition was the norm. Most games were going for high scores and were hard as hell as well.

55b99b5cdd0895307e8b4622
PNxmqT5.jpg
Hq5H46e.jpg

anqygo74pxm11.jpg

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Those were in place long before Xbox entered the field.

People were batshit insane about this nonsense as fsr back as I can remember.

The difference that happened in parallell with Xbox arriving was more easily available and fast internet for pretty much anyone.

Read what Peter Moore said carefully?
Did he say that Xbox started console wars? Or did he say that Xbox encouraged console wars?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Good on you guys for all saying that they didn't start it....Which was absolutey not what was discussed....He said they encouraged it, which is different but you needed an angle to defend this kind of shit I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom