• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pfizer’s Covid Vaccine Over 90% Effective, applying for FDA authorization later this month

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
No new vaccines should be administered to the public until they're absolutely certain that it won't cause the dead to reanimate.
Cause if there's anything movies and TV have taught me it's that zombies are a massive pain in the ass.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Very impressive that they refused to be part of the US federal initiative and, as such, didn't receive the large advance that so many other companies accepted to begin developing a vaccine. This effectively means that one of the least funded and advantaged companies came up with the vaccine first. That's honestly awe inspiring. Very impressive level of competence and ingenuity with this BioNTech; I hope these trials go well so that we can all stop worrying about this damn thing and get to the task of fixing our economy.

Greedings

Very impressive that they refused to be part of the US federal initiative and, as such, didn't receive the large advance that so many other companies accepted to begin developing a vaccine. This effectively means that one of the least funded and advantaged companies came up with the vaccine first. That's honestly awe inspiring. Very impressive level of competence and ingenuity with this BioNTech; I hope these trials go well so that we can all stop worrying about this damn thing and get to the task of fixing our economy.

No it doesn’t. It means the multi-billion dollar company Pfizer didn’t want to take federal money. I don’t know the strings attached to the money, but I’m sure there were plenty.

it’s also important to realise that Much of vaccine discovery is luck based. Many companies were using similar tech, but slight variations in formulation or RNA sequence can result in different effects.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
The strings are that the US government dictates who gets it, how much they get and the cost. That's the price of being funded in operation warp speed.
For smaller companies who couldn't afford to do it on their own it was an easy choice to sign up.. It was free money for them and the only downside was concessions they'd have to make on the off chance they hit the lottery and actually did find a cure/vaccine.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The strings are that the US government dictates who gets it, how much they get and the cost.
That's where BioNTech weighed in early, saying that they reject these terms, and also didn't want to be bought out in any other way, to keep delivery specifics independent from the US government. That's been news. I suspect that that's why Pfizer struck an alternate deal with the "preorders".

Our next big country-wide crisis will be the apparent classism that will make itself known when the rich and elite get priority access to the vaccine before the most at-risk population.

I'm sure The Rock, Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande will defer their dose to a poor person.

tenor.gif

RavageX

I'll be refusing it. Not because i don't believe in vaccines, i very much do. But simply because it's been rushed through human trials and is using an experimental form of treatment.

I'll try it in 5 years though. Should i go directly to jail and not collect £200 until then?
This is the part that gets me. People in a rush to take something that hasn't even been out long.

How many meds and such have adverse side effects that appear down the road hmm?

I'm not against the vaccines, but I'm definitely on the wait and see side of the fence.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
That “90% effective” in the title should have an asterisk or say during the first month in parentheses. Pfizer turned out having the worst effectiveness out of the government purchased options after the first 3 months.

That “90% effective” in the title should have an asterisk or say during the first month in parentheses. Pfizer turned out having the worst effectiveness out of the government purchased options after the first 3 months.
Exactly. This is why people being sceptic of these vaccines aren’t necessarily science-deniers - because medical science can change its stance. Remember when cholesterol was bad or when kids were kept away from food that could cause allergic reactions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom