• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasm Studios Seeks To Resurrect Ghosts 'N Goblins With Or Without Capcom's Okay

Tripon

Newly-established Phantasm Studios is looking to bring the legendary Arthur back from the dead with a fresh entry in the Ghosts 'N Goblins series. CEO and founder Monty Singleton has lifted the lid on a Kickstarter campaign to raise the necessary funds for development, but there's a catch: he doesn't have the permission of Capcom to use the brand — at least not yet, anyway.

Singleton has confirmed that his fledgling studio has approached Capcom for the license to use the name, and that the Japanese company has agreed to review the application:

Capcom only promised to review our submission, and nothing more. We have only discussed a possibility of a developer’s license if the game is up to their standards. We do not currently have one and may not get one.

The game is not in development yet. We have only finished pre-production (concept art, strategy, story, physically modeling the characters). We are now at the expensive part, paying our veteran coders, designers, and artists (who have worked with Electronic Arts, Activision, Sega Japan) to build a game that’s up to Capcom’s high standards. We need your help so we can create a game so amazing, Capcom won’t say no.

In 1980 Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo created a Popeye video game but couldn’t get the rights from King Features. He transformed Popeye to Mario, Bluto to Donkey Kong, and Olive Oyl to the Princess. This was the birth of Donkey Kong. After the success of Donkey Kong, King Features changed their mind and allowed Nintendo to release a Popeye game. That is why the games are so similar. If we can’t secure a developers license we will change King Arthur and the name of the game, but that is all. Thankfully werewolves, demons, skeletons, reapers, ghosts, goblins, etc. are all public domain. The modifications will be so minor, the changes will be easy and will not change our release schedule.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ts_n_goblins_with_or_without_capcoms_blessing

Kickstarter here

Planned for Xbox Live, PSN, and the Nintendo eShop releasing in April 2015. OUYA in October 2014.

I'd be down to play a new Ghouls and Goblins but I doubt Capcom is keen to let somebody use their IP.

The art looks atrocious.
Seriously, fuck this guy and his company. Stay away from GnG thanks.
The only company I want working on it now is probably Vanillaware.

Takao

Banned
That is insanely sketchy. They're using an established brand to get name recognition on Kickstarter without the okay to do that. Given they've actually launched the Kickstarter I can't see Capcom allowing this to go on for long.

EMT0

Banned
The first release is an Ouya release? Can somebody explain why that's the case to me? I couldn't find it in the Kickstarter page.

.la1n

Kick starter video doesn't instill confidence and the concept art isn't up to the series' standards.

Takao

Banned
The first release is an Ouya release? Can somebody explain why that's the case to me? I couldn't find it in the Kickstarter page.

I think Ouya has a deal where if you're on Kickstarter they'll double your funding in exchange for timed exclusivity. I'm not sure if this game takes part in that program though.

I think Ouya has a deal where if you're on Kickstarter they'll double your funding in exchange for timed exclusivity. I'm not sure if this game takes part in that program though.

It does. The video and page point out that the Ouya version will be released in October 2014 while the other versions will be released in April of 2015.

lupinko

If there's no Tokuro Fujiwara then no buy, Professor F only or GTFO, this the guy every Capcom lead looks up to.

Tain

This looks absolutely vile.

Like, vile enough to make this above poster's suggestion...

Uncle Rupee said:
The only company I want working on it now is probably Vanillaware.

...sound good.

Tapiozona

Banned
I Love that they're threatening to undercut Capcom if they say no. Thus guy doesn't have much business sense and is an idiot to think threats are the best, first, course of action.

rrs

This part sealed the deal of just how silly this is
tfZTYdP.png

JDSN

Banned
Talk about violent video games and today's youth.

Asking money for a fan game and possibly participating in an Ouya scheme.

bede-x

These guys may be very talented for all we know, but without anything to show why would you back them on account of such a vague video? Which is not to say that I don't wish them the best, as I'd absolutely love a new Ghosts 'N Goblins, but for now I'll stick with Maldita Castilla and wait to see what this turns into.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
And this is why Mighty No. 9 made me feel ultra uncomfortable. If you don't defend your marks, its open season.

sleepykyo

This feels like an onion article that would have been written in response Inafune's kickstarter kicking off.

It also feels off. At least they included a disclaimer about how it Capcom hasn't approved it and the game could very well have to be reskinned as something else.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
"Our focus at Phantasm Studios is to re-imagine classic or forgotten games for the new generation. Basically, we secure developer licences from major studios of our favourite games that we grew up with. And then, create something new that now we will love, but our kids will love too."

Looks like they're missing a step.

Biker19

Banned
If there's no Tokuro Fujiwara then no buy, Professor F only or GTFO, this the guy every Capcom lead looks up to.

I agree. Not having Tokuro Fujiwara involved in another Ghosts 'N Goblins/Ghouls 'N Ghosts game is like not having Keiji Inafune involved a Mega Man project, & we all know what happened with that.

Dali

Ummm... Misleading thread title. They aren't using the ip without capcom 's ok. Thus they aren't resurrecting anything unless it's ok' d.

TheBear

And this is why Mighty No. 9 made me feel ultra uncomfortable. If you don't defend your marks, its open season.
What happened with mighty no.9?

This guy has has some balls trying to make a gng game game without capcoms permission or help from the original dev's. Fans will roast him.

Vamphuntr

This will be killed quickly. It's pretty shameful. They don't even have the OK from Capcom and still went ahead with the kickstarter campaign. Even if Capcom agrees, the license will probably be expensive.

But they're pretty good developers.

The main issue I have with most Vanillaware games is that they make a small amount of content but make you replay it ad nauseam. Their games reuse the same levels multiple times which and it gets irritating quickly.

Evilisk

f9b99c94b79af7ca8a32086a5b695fb1_large.jpg

Besides the fact it's not even Arthur's helmet

How does this even work

You wouldn't even be able to see the beard with the helmet anyway

AppleMIX

As bad as this kickstarter is, I don't see why Capcom should remake some of it's old classics with competent developers.

sn00zer

As bad as this kickstarter is, I don't see why Capcom should remake some of it's old classics with competent developers.

They did...Bionic Commando Rearmed was pretty good and Strider looks pretty neat...kind of hard to fuck up a 2d game this day and age since they are so well researched

system11

They did...Bionic Commando Rearmed was pretty good and Strider looks pretty neat...kind of hard to fuck up a 2d game this day and age since they are so well researched

If anything it's getting worse, because the people who really knew what they were doing have mostly faded into history.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Glad I'm not alone in thinking this looks like an atrocity. Honestly, the developer I'd trust the most to do something like this would be Crazy Viking Studios, since Volgarr the Viking was... Basically a new GnG. And amazing.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Ouya-quality game you say? The crappy video was passable but not that.

Top Bottom