• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasm Studios Seeks To Resurrect Ghosts 'N Goblins With Or Without Capcom's Okay

Shinta

Banned
"Yeah, sticking it to Capcom is cool! Who even cares if we have the rights to the IP? Worry about that later!"

This is super shady, and I hope this isn't a trend. This is probably going to become the biggest cliche' in Kickstarter games since "inspired by Chrono Trigger."

vg260

Yeah, this is awful.
They use someone's IP to raise money for their kickstarter, get turned down, get the funding, then just tweak it to make it just different enough. It feels like yet another clever abuse of kickstarter.

I dunno, what would actually happen if they meet the goal but dont get the license? Do backers get their money back? But really how can they run this as a GnG project without the license?

Sheroking

As much as I'd like to see GnG return... not from a random company of nobodies who are going to C&D'd, and certainly not with my money.

This is honestly the worst Kickstarter for a video game I have ever seen. Watching their pitch video made me angry. What a complete joke.

Camp Lo

Banned
Their kickstarter makes no sense.

Top console games are too violent for our young children.

Our team has kids in grade school. Some of us are parents of toddlers/infants. Do we really need to tell our children to wait over a decade before they can play the latest, most popular console games? Not on our watch.

But they want to make Ghosts N' Goblins: Demon World? What the fuck is going on and why have people donated to this shit?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
KuGsj.gif
!!!! WTF at that art, BWAGAHAHAHAH oh my god I don't even...

Please stay the fuck away from my Ghost 'n Goblins.

Eh, I'd rather see it farmed out to someone like
Vanillaware or to just be developed internally at Capcom. Don't know if they still have the chops, though.

Alchemy

"Game Designer/Sales"

The fuck? Sketchy as fuuuuuuuuuuuck. This looks exactly like a bunch of scam artists trying to get $50k and run. Fuck these idiots.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The first release is an Ouya release? Can somebody explain why that's the case to me? I couldn't find it in the Kickstarter page.

for reasons that are beyond me, ouya is matching their kickstarter donations dollar for dollar

border

I love their idea -- they're going about it in completely the wrong way though. Nobody is going to donate to a project that could be shut down at any time.

Just market it as a game "inspired by Ghosts n' Goblins." Give it a similar name -- "Banshees N' Demons", or something similar. Come up with a working prototype that shows people just how similar the game is going to be. Show in-game footage of that prototype. Don't just show off some talking heads and concept art -- there's got to be at least the beginnings of a game there. If they want to pitch it to Capcom as a new Ghosts N' Goblins then that's fine, but don't even bring that up in the pitch.....don't make it seem like the whole project hinges on Capcom's approval.

I guess it's also pretty suspicious that they are only asking for $50,000. Is that money meant to fund the entire development? Or are they only asking for enough to fund a pitch-demo to woo Capcom?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
OK, who wants to fund my Resident Evil game? 1k donation tier gets you an authentic umbrella (or parasol if Capcom doesn't go for it).

Aaron

This feels like a long con to me. Even if they reach their goals, they'll probably wait on a C&D from Capcom so they have an excuse not to produce anything.

And to no one's surprise...
No shock. No shock at all. KS like this need to be shut down. Donate money so we can make a game we don't even have the rights to make. People really need to wrap their heads around the concept of a spiritual successor. Ghouls and Monsters would fly... just like how Roads of Anger and some palette swaps and a few brush strokes would have saved Streets of Rage Remake.

No shock. No shock at all. KS like this need to be shut down. Donate money so we can make a game we don't even have the rights to make. People really need to wrap their heads around the concept of a spiritual successor. Ghouls and Monsters would fly... just like how Roads of Anger and some palette swaps and a few brush strokes would have saved Streets of Rage Remake.
SoRR ripped off pixel art and sprites from several other games though.

Top Bottom