• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Fury - Reveal Trailer

Raven77

On the Switch. Which means this game could theoretically run on the Wii U...

Nintendo please release a more powerful console.

- Signed - a lifelong Nintendo lover.

VN1X

Banned
Why is there Sin footage in there? I get the same universe maybe, but wasn't there also Sin reloaded coming?
Yeah I believe it's been heavily alluded to that it's in the same universe.

I mean it even uses the exact same model for that weapon at the end there so... I'm hype! Especially as it seems to be taking a lot of cues from both DNF and SiN Episodes. Can't wait.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still have to play Ion, there's just too much retro shooters coming out!

Not complaining ofc. I'd rather play one of those than any AAA, extremely linear shooter.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Still have to play Ion, there's just too much retro shooters coming out!

Not complaining ofc. I'd rather play one of those than any AAA, extremely linear shooter.
It's one of the best FPS games I've ever played and a technological marvel for a build engine game. It's so satisfying to play! Feels like what Duke 3D 2 should have been. Ion Fury, Prodeus, and Dusk are all top tier experiences that are more fun to play than the likes of Call of Duty or Crysis 2 & 3.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's one of the best FPS games I've ever played and a technological marvel for a build engine game. It's so satisfying to play! Feels like what Duke 3D 2 should have been. Ion Fury, Prodeus, and Dusk are all top tier experiences that are more fun to play than the likes of Call of Duty or Crysis 2 & 3.
Yeah I should get some time for Ion Fury and play it. Played Blood for the first time this year and loved it, and I can imagine miss Bombshell's game being even better.

Apocryphon

Pumped for the game but I hadn't initially clocked that it isn't being developed by Voidpoint. Void are working on Ion Fury DLC and Phantom Fury is being developed by Slipgate Ironworks.

I kinda hope this means Voidpoint will be doing another Build Engine game. They would have been the perfect studio to reboot Duke but since Gearbox 🤢 own the IP I guess there's no chance we'll get that.

wf5utRO.jpg
lxr2LKs.jpg
9vMHy8N.jpg

fjzbqiy.jpg

jaysius

Banned
Imagine when people make fake retro games of this modern gen and actually make a good fps with these graphics.

This is a fucking weird arms race in indie and small devs to slowly creep toward modern graphics.

Apocryphon

Imagine when people make fake retro games of this modern gen and actually make a good fps with these graphics.

This is a fucking weird arms race in indie and small devs to slowly creep toward modern graphics.
Thats a very interesting point and now that you've put it in my head I can't fucking wait!

jaysius

Banned
Thats a very interesting point and now that you've put it in my head I can't fucking wait!
I mean... or brace yourself for this... some dev that has a fucking clue could make a game with today’s graphics…TODAY. It’s really sad that some of the better single player campaigns are all just COD today.

bender

What time is it?

I just like watching the genre waves that indie devs ride. Not that bigger studios don't do the same thing. We've seen a crazy amount of farming/hybrid farming sims lately. I'd have never guessed that.

jaysius

Banned
I just like watching the genre waves that indie devs ride. Not that bigger studios don't do the same thing. We've seen a crazy amount of farming/hybrid farming sims lately. I'd have never guessed that.
Yea, and because it’s all indie the new gimmicks they add aren’t great since Stardew really did it right and now everyone is just trying to cash in. This is a shitty time for gaming AAA and Indie, most of the indie game devs are hacks, all their attempts at QOL just ruin the games, this is the same for all the retro FPS games too. As I mentioned earlier tonight really only Prodeus and Clutic and doing anything right. I’ll try the demo for this, who knows maybe it’s good.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Yea, and because it’s all indie the new gimmicks they add aren’t great since Stardew really did it right and now everyone is just trying to cash in. This is a shitty time for gaming AAA and Indie, most of the indie game devs are hacks, all their attempts at QOL just ruin the games, this is the same for all the retro FPS games too. As I mentioned earlier tonight really only Prodeus and Clutic and doing anything right. I’ll try the demo for this, who knows maybe it’s good.
You're 100% right, but it isn't just Prodeus and Cultic. Dusk, Amid Evil, Ion Fury, and Project Warlock II are all fantastic too.

bender

What time is it?

It just makes me appreciate Lucas Pope even more.

Retro FPS seems to be the soup of the day. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than tough as nail 2D platformers, metroidvania-likes, survival craft 'em ups, or action rogue lites.

jaysius

Banned
It just makes me appreciate Lucas Pope even more.

Retro FPS seems to be the soup of the day. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than tough as nail 2D platformers, metroidvania-likes, survival craft 'em ups, or action rogue lites.
He’s one of the few devs that “get it”.

Most of the indie devs have what I call gaming dyslexia, they make games based upon their favorite genre but have no fucking clue what made those games fun ,so they end up making games “inspired by” their favs that start out amazing, because they spent the most time making a gameplay chunk they can sizzle for jurnos and then they run out of steam and add or misuse shitty gimmicks that they don’t understand later in their games. So you get games with heavy hype and great reviews because jurnos only play the first hour or so, or base their score on the first few hours rather than the last or the game overall.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
He’s one of the few devs that “get it”.

Most of the indie devs have what I call gaming dyslexia, they make games based upon their favorite genre but have no fucking clue what made those games fun ,so they end up making games “inspired by” their favs that start out amazing, because they spent the most time making a gameplay chunk they can sizzle for jurnos and then they run out of steam and add or misuse shitty gimmicks that they don’t understand later in their games. So you get games with heavy hype and great reviews because jurnos only play the first hour or so, or base their score on the first few hours rather than the last or the game overall.

The barrier to monetization is just so low now that you'll get indie devs chasing trends to try to cash in, especially with retro titles because it's "easier" to make art for them. You get this weird combination of people learning to make games, people that have no business making games, people trying to cash in and then true visionaries. It's almost refreshing seeing such large deltas in game quality. Its becoming rarer and rarer in the AA/AAA space to see truly awful games (shout out to Balan Wonderworld).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Said it in the Realms Deep thread, but this looks so good. The Duke Nukem Forever we never got. Really hoping it lives up to the quality of Ion Fury, because that was the best shooter I'd played in years.

GenericUser

Why can't we just have modern shooters that go all over the top and be cool, why does it always have to be this retro trash.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oh shit, just found out this was a thing! Ion Fury’s one of the best fps around, and I’m loving this new/old engine.

VN1X

Banned
So this turned out to be a massive dud.

They put out a demo on Steam and the feedback so far, from me included, is that it's incredibly under cooked and suffers from a ton of underlying issues. It's a shame as the presentation is top notch but the actual gameplay is subpar at best. Not even being hyperbolic here: the gunplay and movement in general are very floaty and clunky.

At least we've got Ion Fury Aftershock coming on Oct 2nd!

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Thanks for bumping. Never would have found out about the demo. Hopefully they listen to player feedback about the gameplay.

Edit: Demo is garbage. You move too slow. Enemies are too fast to the point you only have tank controls and they zip around like they are using the Doom 2016 controls, some controls were missing on Controller or it was buggy and you couldn't switch weapons. Needed the Keyboard for that. I could switch to Bombs but couldn't switch to anything else on controller.

Encountered a bug where I used the Robo arm and when it switched back to my Piistol the Pistol didn't load and I was only holding the magazine clip. HILARIOUS!

I concur with the above. Presentation is good but the actual gameplay is bad and seems like a poor transition from 2D/2.5D to a 3D plane.

Might replay the Selaco demo to restore some of my dignity. Which Selaco is SOOOOO MUCH BETTER.

Last edited:
Top Bottom