• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer acknowledges ‘it’s been too long’ since Xbox’s last big first-party game

18 months will take us to June 2023.

All I need to know is what’s relevant to me, and that is that Microsoft are struggling to have a consistent release window, still. Couldn’t care less about anything else.

Rewinding a little, but I don’t think MS did release more games than Nintendo in 2021. They had Bowser’s Fury, Game Builder Garage, Mario Golf, Miitopia, Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Wario Ware, Skyward Sword HD and Metroid Dread..

Xbox only really got halo and forza as new games last year so it doesn’t even make sense to do list wars.

Flight sim was a port, psychonauts was multiplat.

No? I’m just saying that the excuse of covid doesn’t hold up because the other 2 console manufacturers (who have less studios) have still produced multiple high profile games a year.

It’s almost as if different games are in different stages of development at all times 😆 You make it seem as if all these games are on the same schedule and thus if COVID doesn’t affect one it shouldn’t affect the other.

MS had a great 2021. Their games were delayed out of 2022. It happens. People seem to conveniently forget how lacking most of 2021 was for Sony. It’s almost as if their games were delayed to 2022.

KXVXII9X

Just thinking about next year for Sony. Is Spider-man 2 the only AAA 1st party game that Sony has?
While not a first party exclusive, Final Fantasy XVI (may be timed exclusive), Final Fantasy Rebirth, and Forspoken will be exclusive to PlayStation. I'd say that is pretty huge as they are both actual current gen games. Don't also forget about PSVR2 which will have Horizon Call of the Wild and offer a different experience of familiar games like Resident Evil Village.

SSfox

I know its sad, (and been sad for a while) but if Xbox was more competive, Sony probably wouldn't be remaking Ps4 games.

I want Xbox to do better as a Sony fan, so the bar is raised for everyone.
michael-scott-the-office.gif

It’s almost as if different games are in different stages of development at all times 😆 You make it seem as if all these games are on the same schedule and thus if COVID doesn’t affect one it shouldn’t affect the other.

MS had a great 2021. Their games were delayed out of 2022. It happens. People seem to conveniently forget how lacking most of 2021 was for Sony. It’s almost as if their games were delayed to 2022.

People act like 2021 is the type of year we get from MS on a routine basis. It's not. It's an outlier year for them. It was a good year, but it was nothing I'd call absolutely spectacular.

Sony had a "down" year for them - but even still managed to release two next-gen exclusive games that were both really excellent, one of which is probably the best third person shooter I've ever played mechanically speaking.

But you look at the year before, and they launched their system with next gen exclusives and had last-gen GOTY quality titles. You look at 2022 and it's absolutely stacked.

Yes, things get delayed - that's not the problem. I don't blame them for delaying Starfield until they get it right. I blame them for basically having nothing, year-in-year-out with huge droughts. When things get delayed for MS, the problem is magnified because they have nothing else realistically in the pipeline. Hellblade, Perfect Dark, Everwild, Fable, etc...it might as well be vaporware because ever year we get hardly any significant updates on these games.

Last edited:
What concerns me the most is will these games be worth the wait and actually good? I mean AAA, high competition-level good. The exclusives should eventually come out, but the longer they take, the more they will have to live up to the high expectations and inevitable hype.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
What concerns me the most is will these games be worth the wait and actually good? I mean AAA, high competition-level good. The exclusives should eventually come out, but the longer they take, the more they will have to live up to the high expectations and inevitable hype.
That is the big expectation. From everything MS is cooking, I can think only in two games that would be what people are expecting to reach this level of quality: Fable and project Dark.

clarky

Gold Member
That is the big expectation. From everything MS is cooking, I can think only in two games that would be what people are expecting to reach this level of quality: Fable and project Dark.
I don't understand this post, your saying that people will only expect Fable and Perfect Dark to be AAA?

TheTony316

This is the issue with Xbox.

Every time people mention the lack of game releases someone goes “next year will be better” and that never happens. 2022 was suppose to be “that year” for them.

Nothing even has a release date for next year. But at least they are aware of these issues.

Exactly. Every year since 2014 is supposed to be "the biggest year in Xbox history" and it never happens.

Chukhopops

You know why it was delayed right?

Argument: Sony only had « minor delays »
Rebuttal: GoW was delayed by at least 11 months compared to its announced date.

The reason doesn’t matter. Stalker 2 was delayed because their country was invaded and most of the devs had to go fight to defend it.

Fredrik

Fable, maybe, Playground are wizards but it’s a new team on a new genre. We’ll see.

And Perfect Dark is made by a new dev we know nothing about, could be great but adding this to the list seems odd.
Sidenote, what MS is lacking is third person games, personally I hoped they would go there with the Perfect Dark reboot, especially when they work with Crystal Dynamics, would’ve been a perfect fit.

Anyway, I would add new Gears, DOOM, Hellblade, The Elder Scrolls, Forza Horizon/Motorsport to the list instead. I expect superb quality on all those titles.

And Avowed could be magnificent. And Indiana Jones, high expectations there. Plus Starfield, looks amazing!👌

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
In English?
Is not news or even seminohtg put to dteabe the llsuacketr AAA Hgih Qutaliy ano/dr New IPs optuut form Xbox Frist Praty. undefined

And the oputut they have had or has lsot its lutesr, is an irettaion or it filas to raceh eoneiaxpctts.

Pepole want AAA siht wituoht any kind of bsluliht aunord it. Ilealdy these souhld be New IP. But Fable and Procjet Drak are so old; bsalcilay daed IPs, taht eficvteelfy wuold be new.

What deos Hgih qtaliuy mean:

1.The Bset Gciphras (hyepr ratieilsc)
2. A metay excpeinere (20 30 hrs)
4. Smnehiotg new, rsnieherfg, rksiy autmibios, bold. Irnstduy lnedaig. undefined

undefined

Why thsoe two gmaes?:
Bauecse tehy are sopspeud to be tohse gmae mdae by:

1. The bset Sitduo MS has (Fable).
3. A situdo bliud up form the grnoud up to make a AAAA type game (Prjceot Dark)

While not a first party exclusive, Final Fantasy XVI (may be timed exclusive), Final Fantasy Rebirth, and Forspoken will be exclusive to PlayStation. I'd say that is pretty huge as they are both actual current gen games. Don't also forget about PSVR2 which will have Horizon Call of the Wild and offer a different experience of familiar games like Resident Evil Village.

I knew about those. I was wondering if Sony had anything else from us 1st party wise.

Robb

Gold Member
Good, they really need to get the ball rolling. Their release schedule have been very inconsistent.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
maybe, Playground are wizards but it’s a new team on a new genre. We’ll see.

And Perfect Dark is made by a new dev we know nothing about, could be great but adding this to the list seems odd.
Sidenote, what MS is lacking is third person games, personally I hoped they would go there with the Perfect Dark reboot, especially when they work with Crystal Dynamics, would’ve been a perfect fit.

Anyway, I would add new Gears, DOOM, Hellblade, The Elder Scrolls, Forza Horizon/Motorsport to the list instead. I expect superb quality on all those titles.

And Avowed could be magnificent. And Indiana Jones, high expectations there. Plus Starfield, looks amazing!👌
How can I be extremely clear?.....

Phil Spencer acknowledges ‘it’s been too long’ since Xbox’s last big first-party game​

vHotpu4.jpg

ziFaFCN.jpg

And let's not forget about Halo shitshow since 343i.

My point:

MS has not the best track record delivering High Quality AAA/New Ips for a long time now.

MS has earn a bad reputation slow and steady. It could be funny if it wasn't so baffling.

Fable and Project Dark are the two games that are suppose to be next in line to lunch. And also, be the games that that MS has been lacking, or has been unable to produce.

solidus12

Phil Spencer acknowledges ‘it’s been too long’ since Xbox’s last big first-party game​

vHotpu4.jpg

ziFaFCN.jpg

My point:

MS has not the best track record delivering High Quality AAA/New Ips for a long time now.

MS has earn a bad reputation slow and steady. It could be funny if it wasn't so baffling.

Fable and Project Dark are the two games that are suppose to be next in line to lunch. And also, be the games that that MS has been lacking, or has been unable to produce.
Add this one too:

OQVb1Q7.jpg

Rykan

Oh shut up.

Every Xbox owner is happier with the direction Xbox has taken since he's been at the helm. It hasn't been perfect but he has made owning an Xbox 10X times more enjoyable.

Probably the main reason Sony fanboys get a hater boner for him.
How exactly has he made owning an Xbox more enjoyable?

He took the helm in 2017. How much has changed since then? The Xbox one was frequently criticized for not having enough compelling exclusive content and relying too much on franchises like Halo, Gears and Forza. It is now 2022, we're 2 years into the release of Xbox Series consoles and the only notable exclusive games on Xbox are....Forza and Halo.

The Xbox series console managed to have the single worst launch lineup of any major console that I can think of. What new direction are we talking about here? Gamepass?

He opened his wallet, purchased a bunch of studios and publisher and is now just sitting back and waiting until they start to deliver. Which takes a very long time, apparently.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Since 2015 and Fallout 4 (their last big game) what have Bethesda made? Fallout 76 and ...... thats 8 years between major single player games
To be fair 3-4 years between titles isn't abnormal, Starfield has been delayed a year (assuming it comes out next year!) Which would make for an extra year, but given the pandemic, etc, etc.

2008 Fallout 3
3 years
2011 Skyrim
4 years
2015 fallout 4
3 years
2018 fallout 76
5 years
2023 Starfield

I didn't care for 76, but it was still a significant release, it's not nothing to put out a whole game like that.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
At this point it's pretty clear how bad Xbox Game Studios management is compared to their competition. They keep spinning the same excuses year after year. At this point I will probably buy my Series console at the end of console generation, so I know excactly what kind of games I get from them.
Correct. What saddens me is that this cancer is more likely to infect Bethesda studios than it is to help Xbox.

Pelta88

vHotpu4.jpg

My point:

Add this one too:

OQVb1Q7.jpg

When you want to defend Phil Spencer's meaningless PR smoke but solidus12 solidus12 and ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo got the receipts.

HardBitesizedGarpike-size_restricted.gif

nowhat

While it's true, I did think Scorn was one of the best exclusives for a long time.
Scorn sure looks interesting and looking forward to playing it once the "console launch exclusivity" ends, but it's not a first-party game.

Mephisto40

Topic should read

"Phil Spencer acknowledges ‘it’s been too long’ since Xbox’s last good first-party game"

Last edited:

Fredrik

Next in line? We know that Starfield, Redfall and Forza Motorsport comes out next year. Hellblade 2 will come out before Fable and Perfect Dark as well.
And personally I don’t see what MS has been lacking that Fable and Perfect Dark is bringing. First person action and role-playing is exactly what MS is not lacking.
I’m mostly excited for Fable because Playground is as solid as Insomniac when it comes to delivering quality.

gothmog

Gold Member
I wish Microsoft seemed actually interested in solving the problem, but they have so much money they can just keep buying their way out of any bad effects of what is basically mismanagement. That's what makes me sad.

Is not news or even seminohtg put to dteabe the llsuacketr AAA Hgih Qutaliy ano/dr New IPs optuut form Xbox Frist Praty. undefined

And the oputut they have had or has lsot its lutesr, is an irettaion or it filas to raceh eoneiaxpctts.

Pepole want AAA siht wituoht any kind of bsluliht aunord it. Ilealdy these souhld be New IP. But Fable and Procjet Drak are so old; bsalcilay daed IPs, taht eficvteelfy wuold be new.

What deos Hgih qtaliuy mean:

1.The Bset Gciphras (hyepr ratieilsc)
2. A metay excpeinere (20 30 hrs)
4. Smnehiotg new, rsnieherfg, rksiy autmibios, bold. Irnstduy lnedaig. undefined

undefined

Why thsoe two gmaes?:
Bauecse tehy are sopspeud to be tohse gmae mdae by:

1. The bset Sitduo MS has (Fable).
3. A situdo bliud up form the grnoud up to make a AAAA type game (Prjceot Dark)
There is something serious wrong with your spellingchecker...i mean realy realy realy wrong🙄

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I knew about those. I was wondering if Sony had anything else from us 1st party wise.
I'm not sure. I know Quantum Dream is working on Star Wars Eclipse. That will probably be a 2024 release though. I guess TLOU Factions may be their big multiplayer game if it releases next year. I hope we get more info at the VGA for both Sony and Microsoft.

TastyPastry

Arkhane needs to become a support studio. I dont know who these games are for, but clearly no one cares. And by no one, i mean niche. I am sure there are a few hundred thousand prey and dishonored fans out there. Just do support work for real studios like ID Software, Bethesda and Avalanche. If Bethesda is too busy with Starfield, get some directors to go to Arkhane and have them make Fallout 5 or Elder Scrolls. Stop making these B games no one wants to play.

nah man, arkane is a good studio but they need a good IP to be working with. my suggestion has always been shadowrun. a arkane shadowrun game sounds like a dream to me.

Top Bottom