• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Comments on NFT Games

Guilty_AI

NFT does not have to have any monetary value

NFT as in Non-fungible Token ensures that file on the network is going to be unique and immutable on the whole chain.

Blockchain and NFT could be big technology for games, especially if not payed.

Imagine something like MMO Borderlands where everyone in the game world has it's own gun.
The only use i could think of so far was to enable sale of user-made content for online games like skins or avatars. Like, an user designs some weird-looking clothes in blender or something then sells it to another user who can use this asset in something like VR chat or other MMO/social game, while having bragging rights for having the original.

For the design of the game itself, i thought of persistent MMOs. But i can't tell if it would really have any advantage over a traditional central server, or feasible at all depending on the complexity of the game.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Hold up. I am still waiting for the thread: "Phil Spencer Comments on JRPG games." and this new NFT shit is giving me blue balls.

KAL2006

Banned
So Phil don't like exploitive games, I guess he will ban NBA, FIFA and other games on the Xbox storefront, right Phil, right? Hello Phil are you there?

Instead talking shit he should just say it's upto the publisher how they monetise their games and the consumers if they want to buy it, instead of coming across as good guy Phil. Microsoft are not good guys, I wanted to use Microsoft Office the other day just to do basic Microsoft Word stuff for a job, I realised they have a subscription fee and you cannot simply purchase the latest Office suite.

So Phil don't like exploitive games, I guess he will ban NBA, FIFA and other games on the Xbox storefront, right Phil, right? Hello Phil are you there?

Instead talking shit he should just say it's upto the publisher how they monetise their games and the consumers if they want to buy it, instead of coming across as good guy Phil. Microsoft are not good guys, I wanted to use Microsoft Office the other day just to do basic Microsoft Word stuff for a job, I realised they have a subscription fee and you cannot simply purchase the latest Office suite.
I too blame Phil for MS Office.

reksveks

Buy Office Home & Student 2021 (PC or Mac) – Download & Pricing (microsoft.com) here you are

You can use the free version of office

Bless Phil Spencer

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The only use i could think of so far was to enable sale of user-made content for online games like skins or avatars. Like, an user designs some weird-looking clothes in blender or something then sells it to another user who can use this asset in something like VR chat or other MMO/social game, while having bragging rights for having the original.

For the design of the game itself, i thought of persistent MMOs. But i can't tell if it would really have any advantage over a traditional central server, or feasible at all depending on the complexity of the game.
Really good idea with selling assets for the game, this could be honestly huge. However company should ensure that token never gets listed to any exchange and credits will not be transferable between accounts. Which would ensure that it wouldn't suffer from issues like crypto currency, with bull runs, dumping, etc. That you would have to earn your coins/token by playing the game.

Also having game build on blockchain, if it the nodes would be like servers, it would be great, because servers wouldn't be in the hands of the company but on the internet itself and let's say, that for players who would contribute to the network with their own node, could get credits for the game.

I can see the use definitely, however I am quite worried about implementation.

WitchHunter

NFT does not have to have any monetary value

NFT as in Non-fungible Token ensures that file on the network is going to be unique and immutable on the whole chain.

Blockchain and NFT could be big technology for games, especially if not payed.

Imagine something like MMO Borderlands where everyone in the game world has it's own gun.
Imagine everyone knowing you bought a chocolate cake for 650 EUR.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Imagine everyone knowing you bought a chocolate cake for 650 EUR.
nuke-the-whales.png

Hugare

Paying to play online is something that many years ago would sound ridiculous

Now look at us

So what Phil is basically saying is: let some companies try to exploit costumers first. If they accept it, we will go all in.

People will decide. Unfortunately, people are dumb.

Hugare

It still sounds ridiculous.
How the hell did the console players ever fall for it I have not a single clue.
Yeah, but here we are. Thats my point.

And MS lead the way, btw

Now they have different values and etc., supposedly. 'cause they are still charging for online ...

Yeah, but here we are. Thats my point.

And MS lead the way, btw

Now they have different values and etc., supposedly. 'cause they are still charging for online ...
And Sony started PS+ free games while they had free online.

They take turns being predatory, for sure.

whoever make a NFT game or game with ties to crypto stuff will probably make big money. but they'll also save me some money since there's no way in hell I'll be buying that.

Top Bottom