• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Confident in Decision to Delay Starfield

It's good that they didn't make Bethesda push those games out in compromised state to meet arbitrary deadlines.
Surely the team asked for more time, I can't imagine Phil or Booty going in and saying it's "not ready, delay it", but we'll never find out either way. Luckily we will get a better game regardless of how it was delayed.

I honestly didn’t think the gameplay they released at E3 looked impressive at all, really bad combat/shooting and the same static cutscenes and robotic looking facial animations most AAA games have moved on from already.

The thing thats gonna save this game is the exploration, rpg mechanics, and story. The presentation, gameplay, and production are all very dated looking. Wouldn’t be surprised if Obsidian officially passes them this generation

Look at these flat ass trees in 2023

fbaecf1f-starfield_-official-gameplay-reveal-6-8-screenshot.png

Last edited:
I honestly didn’t think the gameplay they released at E3 looked impressive at all, really bad combat/shooting and the same static cutscenes and robotic looking facial animations most games have moved on from already.

The thing thats gonna save this game is the exploration, rpg mechanics, and story. The presentation and production are all very dated looking. Wouldn’t be surprised if Obsidian officially passes them this generation
I'd say picking holes in a game of this scale is pretty petty. You're not getting a bigger more ambitious title than this till GTA 6 IMO, different games excell in different areas.

I'd say picking holes in a game of this scale is pretty petty. You're not getting a bigger more ambitious title than this till GTA 6 IMO, different games excell in different areas.

I didn’t see anything overly ambitious about it. Procedurally generated planets isn’t some revolutionary thing

It would be more ambitious if we knew there were dozens of actual living and breathing settlements and things to discover but they didn’t touch on that at all. I feel like everyone says its ambitious because Todd Howard said so, not because of anything they actually demonstrated

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I honestly didn’t think the gameplay they released at E3 looked impressive at all, really bad combat/shooting and the same static cutscenes and robotic looking facial animations most AAA games have moved on from already.

The thing thats gonna save this game is the exploration, rpg mechanics, and story. The presentation, gameplay, and production are all very dated looking. Wouldn’t be surprised if Obsidian officially passes them this generation

Look at these flat ass trees in 2023

fbaecf1f-starfield_-official-gameplay-reveal-6-8-screenshot.png
SlimySnake SlimySnake said that is truly next gen.
Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

gothmog

Gold Member
I just want Starfield to be great and I hate that I have doubts. Seems too ambitious and sounds like it was not even close to the lovable jank level of mess we put up with when we play Bethesda games at launch.

Last edited:
I didn’t see anything overly ambitious about it. Procedurally generated planets isn’t some revolutionary thing

It would be more ambitious if we knew there were dozens of actual living and breathing settlements and things to discover but they didn’t touch on that at all. I feel like everyone says its ambitious because Todd Howard said so, not because of anything they actually demonstrated
Really? Didn't see anything ambitious? Are we talking about the same game? The same developer who created Elder Scrolls. Who have said this is their biggest most ambitious game ever, seriously if you don't see anything ambitious about Starfield then I question your thought process.

Really? Didn't see anything ambitious? Are we talking about the same game? The same developer who created Elder Scrolls. Who have said this is their biggest most ambitious game ever, seriously if you don't see anything ambitious about Starfield then I question your thought process.

Todd Howard says a lot of things,

You are responding but you aren’t really providing any pushback for what I’m saying, what exactly feels ambitious about it? Skyrim and Oblivion WAS ambitious for its time, when open world games on consoles was still mostly limited to GTA and superhero sandbox games.

Now that Witcher, Assassins Creed, Horizon, Red Dead, Cyberpunk, Dragon Age, Elden Ring, No Man’s Sky etc. are out what is Starfield doing or showing us that is much more ambitious than what we already have? Sure, its space and its BIG but is the content within that openness gonna be high quality and unique? Are the NPC’s going to be natural and believable, are the enviornments going to feel living and breathing, are they doing anything new with actual gameplay mechanics?

The only thing they have talked up as being ambitious is the SIZE of the game but beyond the typical open world bethesda tropes, building spacecrafts like settlements in FO4 and mining minerals what have they shown us that looks like its taking gaming to the next level?

Last edited:

Elios83

The game looked rough at E3, especially the shooting gameplay mechanics with enemies not taking almost any impact from bullets.
Obviously they wouldn't have missed the holiday season if it wasn't super needed, last time it happened it was with Halo Infinite and well...it was more than needed, actually it wasn't enough.
Phil Spencer should tell people if he feels confident that the game won't be delayed again until holiday 2023, not that he feels confident in what has been already announced :messenger_grinning_sweat:

DragonNCM

My bet is that game will be delayed again till holyday 2023, they need to polish this out a lot.
I will rather wait 6 more months or year to play finished & playable game then get Cyberpunk fiasco again.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Both will be great. Would be nice if they give us some raytracing options on PC. A game like Redfall would look great with some raytraced emissive lighting. Starfield can at least give us an option for RTAO.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I want the game to be good and work well, but i know from all the games i've bought from Bethesda in the past, there will be bugs, that's what the Nexus is for, as long as they still support modding like they always have then i won't be complaining about the usual amount of glitches, the unofficial patches are a must have for me.

Starfield had a bad debut there's no denying that especially the way Todd Howard explained the game it sounds a hell of a lot better than how it looked. At the end of the day, Skyrim has brought Bethesda a lot of cache and goodwill it'll review well because we just don't get these type of games and that has to count for something.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Delays are a good thing. I’ll never get the push back some have. If something isn’t ready, don’t rush it out. Maybe with my age, I’ve grown way more patient.

Top Bottom