• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Confirms That The Elder Scrolls 6 Won't Release Until after Fable

Thirty7ven

Banned
This seems like a lot of people that arent xbox fans freaking out over trivial sentence on something already obvious.

Seems to me you believe being an Xbox fans is a requirement in order to care about when ES comes out or not. The franchise is older than Xbox, and you won’t need an Xbox to play it. How is this not absurdly obvious?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Cool a game that does not exist yet is coming after a game that also not exists yet

this feels like saying..

yo guys so tekken 9 is not coming out before final fantasy 17

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's Phil job to prioritize the development of the biggest RPG of all time. He needs to go on a hiring spree and create a new team at Bethesda. You cant wait for Starfield to be done in 2022 before you begin development on ES6. You have to start now.

Hate to say it but the franchise is no longer Todd Howards. Let him work on it in a limited capacity. Atleast until he finishes up starfield but get a new director to do ES6.

OceanGaming

For Fantasy Games in Xbox Ecosystem;

Avowed is 2023
Fable is 2024
"Project Dragon" is 2025
Elder Scrolls 6 is 2026

Mark This Post.

NahaNago

Probably 2025 for this game then since Starfall will release supposedly at the end of next year, giving them what like 2 and a half years to make this game and almost half a year to finish debugging and optimizing. I'm not expecting this game to be that big compared to older elder scroll games if this is the case .

Last edited:

oldergamer

The people speculating here literally have no idea. You are just tossing out years without any thought on how much could be accomplished with a large team.

retsof624

I just want to see some Fable gameplay. That’s what I’m most looking forward to from Xbox. I wanna see what Playground games does with that game.

Kuranghi

Is Bethesda superhuman? Doing 2 mega hit back2back? They arent insomnia, which can do 1 dlc, and a 10 hour game.

Elder scroll 2 will take 5 years to make, due to the elderscroll series nature. You need to write down 10k books, and scatter them all around the world. Make more than 1 thousand quests, and places so players can get lost, and forget what the main object is.

Out of all the gamers who bought The Witcher 3 on Steam, only 27 percent have managed to finish the main story. This is for the witcher 3. That is how big open world is. I expect Bethesda to have larger map, than the witcher 3 for the TES6.

Anyone who is expecting it sooner, I have dreams to sell it you.
Hungry Gluten Free GIF

I know you're just joking and I'm not specifically speaking to you but people have been saying this a lot around here lately, there aren't any "books" in Skyrim, there are a hundred or so things that you pick up that look like books and contain a few or more paragraphs in them, even if you combine them all its not even one book worth of reading.

Thats just been annoying me lol sorry.

kingfey

Banned
I know you're just joking and I'm not specifically speaking to you but people have been saying this a lot around here lately, there aren't any "books" in Skyrim, there are a hundred or so things that you pick up that look like books and contain a few or more paragraphs in them, even if you combine them all its not even one book worth of reading.

Thats just been annoying me lol sorry.
A book is a book. A length doesn't dictate a book.
What matters is what is written there.
They have to write all these stuff, while focusing on the lore of the game.

Its more of journal, left by the elders.

Old books were short, due to the value of the paper.

Soodanim

Please don't use the creation engine

Please don't use the creation engine
A common complaint, but it misses the point.

Every TES/FO release comes with an upgraded engine, and there's no way the next game is going to have the limitations that existed in Skyrim. Even FO4 fixed a number of them, and that was before RT and other more recent developments became commonplace. Creation Engine, or whatever 2025+ evolution of it we get, will be fine.

Given that Skyrim modding is still going strong 10 years later, with active development of plenty of mods like it was brand new, moving away from that engine (and all of the other benefits people take for granted) would be a huge mistake. Bethesda know it, and given that they opened the Creation Club to make even more money by bringing in modders they actively embrace the modding scene. That's impossible without Creation Engine.

That said, Starfield will give us an accurate look at the state of their engine.

svbarnard

Banned
You have dreams to sell us.....I have a reality to give you.
Elder Scrolls 2 came out quite some time ago:
MV5BNjczZTc4ODUtMTVmOC00ZGZiLWI0Y2YtNDYzNzk1YzQ4MmJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Assuming they started working on it already.
Starfield is launching end of next year, they should already be super deep.
Elder Scrolls 6 could make holiday 2024.
But yeah with all the Xbox Games Studios games launching they could actually give them an extra year and launch in 2025.
2024 can be reserved for Everwild or Avowed
Oh shit yeah don't forget about Avowed it's supposed to be first person RPG just like Elder Scrolls. Gosh I really could see Xbox winning this generation just based on how many games are exclusive.

Zannegan

A book is a book. A length doesn't dictate a book.
What matters is what is written there.
They have to write all these stuff, while focusing on the lore of the game.

Its more of journal, left by the elders.

Old books were short, due to the value of the paper.
Length really does dictate a book in the industry, with different wordcounts being considered optimal depending on the genre and intended audience.

In any case, his point wasn't to define what a book is but to point out that the work it takes to write all of those "books" isn't nearly as difficult as your post made it sound. That's not to minimize the effort it will take to make the next ES. Designing all of the quests and sidequests will take a ton of writing, for example--much, much more than the "books."

Honestly, I don't know why they bother with the books anymore as they just put a marker on your screen the instant you open them. I wish they made it just a little more difficult to make the hints worth reading. Even just highlighting the important passages Phoenix Wright-style or following coordinateswould be a step up from the braindead process it is now. But I also wish the map looked like a map, the nights were actually dark, and that you could only fix your location during the day, so I'm just one of those weirdos who sees navigation as part of the gameplay loop.

kingfey

Banned
Length really does dictate a book in the industry, with different wordcounts being considered optimal depending on the genre and intended audience.

In any case, his point wasn't to define what a book is but to point out that the work it takes to write all of those "books" isn't nearly as difficult as your post made it sound. That's not to minimize the effort it will take to make the next ES. Designing all of the quests and sidequests will take a ton of writing, for example--much, much more than the "books."

Honestly, I don't know why they bother with the books anymore as they just put a marker on your screen the instant you open them. I wish they made it just a little more difficult to make the hints worth reading. Even just highlighting the important passages Phoenix Wright-style or following coordinateswould be a step up from the braindead process it is now. But I also wish the map looked like a map, the nights were actually dark, and that you could only fix your location during the day, so I'm just one of those weirdos who sees navigation as part of the gameplay loop.
The current industry is different than the age of elder scrolls.

The reason the books are there, is for immersion.

In elder scrolls, you are an adventurer. Books are one way, adventures leave these to the new generation.

You might not like it. But other people will love it.

Starfield in 2022
Fable in 2023
Avowed or Outer Worlds 2 in 2024
Avowed or Outer Worlds 2 in 2025
Elder Scrolls 6 in 2026

Xbox has the RPG genre on lock down this entire console generation, and these are just the games we know about. Didn't even include the rumored inXile FPS RPG as it hasn't been officially announced yet.

Zannegan

The current industry is different than the age of elder scrolls.

The reason the books are there, is for immersion.

In elder scrolls, you are an adventurer. Books are one way, adventures leave these to the new generation.

You might not like it. But other people will love it.
Even in the dark ages, I'm pretty sure books were longer than 3-5 pages. They're cut down to save Bethesda's writers time, and because players are too lazy to read all that anyway, not because it's a realistic rendering of an era.

I didn't say I didn't like the books, I said I don't know why they bother making them if they're just going to auto-mark the maps for us (and, frankly, if they're going to be so shallow and poorly written). What I did say was that my personal preference would be for MORE immersion by letting us figure things out, which would have the added bonus of making the writing important again.

Aenima

So every game with skill tree are now labeled as RPG?
Skill tree, quests, level up system, armor stats, loot. Only big diference to other RPG is that HZD dont placed focus on player stats like other RPG. The game is classified as an Action RPG in any media outlet you search for it. Deal with it.

Last edited:
Starfield in 2022
Fable in 2023
Avowed or Outer Worlds 2 in 2024
Avowed or Outer Worlds 2 in 2025
Elder Scrolls 6 in 2026

Xbox has the RPG genre on lock down this entire console generation, and these are just the games we know about. Didn't even include the rumored inXile FPS RPG as it hasn't been officially announced yet.
I'm not sure I believe starfield will make that launch date but we'll see.

Top Bottom