• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer finally reveals his video game playtime

PaintTinJr

I've been playing games adamantly for a quarter of a century. If someone asks me about my gaming habits I'd give them a daily/weekly rundown, not my life story.

I promise you, that that's the case for most people into gaming. He wasn't having a casual conversation with a friend at a bar, he was answering an interview question about his gaming habits
Do you see how despite the point you tried to make your opening words look like a natural inclusion so as to establish that we are both gamers on a level footing in the conversation, because it was (probably) automatic for you to share it as part of your gaming habits.

The interviews from Bloomberg have felt like fluff pieces of PR for Xbox, followed by negative speculations about PlayStation in the last few years IIRC, so I'm pretty sure they would have worded this interview any way Nice Guy Gamer, for Gamers Phil wanted. His PR team failed to spot the importance of his gaming journey to establish him as a credible gamer, and he maybe isn't a life time gamer if he didn't react like you, and that IMO is why it isn't included in the interview - unlike the details from Iwata and Inaba's interviews I recounted which established their inherent connection to gaming.

Do you see how despite the point you tried to make your opening words look like a natural inclusion so as to establish that we are both gamers on a level footing in the conversation, because it was (probably) automatic for you to share it as part of your gaming habits.

The interviews from Bloomberg have felt like fluff pieces of PR for Xbox, followed by negative speculations about PlayStation in the last few years IIRC, so I'm pretty sure they would have worded this interview any way Nice Guy Gamer, for Gamers Phil wanted. His PR team failed to spot the importance of his gaming journey to establish him as a credible gamer, and he maybe isn't a life time gamer if he didn't react like you, and that IMO is why it isn't included in the interview - unlike the details from Iwata and Inaba's interviews I recounted which established their inherent connection to gaming.
It wasn't a natural inclusion. I included it specifically in response to you mentioning that any long time gamer wouldn't do that.

If a friend asked me my gaming habits I'd tell them what I'm playing atm and how often, not my life story.

Not sure why you're so set on him not being a "real gamer"

EDIT: there are stories of him playing Ultima at work in the 90s, and games during meetings (based), I got into video games because my dad bought them for me, guess we aren't real gamers because we didn't deal with bullies or go against family wishes, GTFO

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I thought I read an article where Kojima spends a crazy amount of time watching movies each week. Mark Cerny also has a truck load of platinum trophies if memory serves.

Last edited:

jhjfss

jumbo Ryan plays games too guys, don't make fun of him!
fFoKGep.jpg

Okay, so that shows what he's currently doing, but compared to say(the late great) Iwata's story - where he went against his family's wishes to pursue something they thought was a worthless endeavour - or Atsushi Inaba's story of PlatinumGames - that had him as a kid willing to spend time with a bully up the street to gain access to more game experiences - it feels a little thin for substance, don't you think?

If someone was asking any regular gaf member about their gaming habits wouldn't you expect a more colour picture from when they started gaming ,first of all, rather than a weekly metric?

My response would have probably started about a weird Polaroid photo - showing colours on a black and white tv - of my sister and me playing the brick wall on a borrowed 48K Spectrum a month before the xmas back in 83 when we got our own, or ...

I've got friends that have played 40hrs a week burning the candle at both ends at times in their life, with 5hrs after the pub with late night MP game sessions, or them doing the original GT challenges, etc, but they aren't gaf level gamers. They had more dedication to expensive clothing than gaming, maybe even put their haircut reading material above gaming in their lives.

I'm not saying he's definitely not a life time gamer, but if Iwata had said he only gamed 2hrs per month it wouldn't have made him any less gaf worthy, would it?

This is a strange post, because we don't know about Phils gaming history before box very much, so you're basically making an assumption he had none, or very little.

Ev1L AuRoN

15 hours a week, solid time considering his position, between my job, family and studies I barely manage to play 10 hours weekly, most of my playtime is taken from my sleep time so I have to balance it not to overdo it.

DaGwaphics

That's a lot for someone like him. Either he lies, or he doesn't have a job.

15 hours is quite a bit, but nothing extreme. There are people that play 15hr sessions.

Does your Xbox keep track of hours played per week or month? Would be interesting to know what the total is.

Edit: LOL at trying to go to war over the gaming habits of a CEO.

Last edited:

SSfox

15 hours is quite a bit, but nothing extreme. There are people that play 15hr sessions.

Does your Xbox keep track of hours played per week or month? Would be interesting to know what the total is.

Edit: LOL at trying to go to war over the gaming habits of a CEO.
There are time where i play 15 hours a session, depend of the time and the game. That's not the point.

But for a CEO of a big company like Xbox, with Family and other hobbies (if he has ones), 2 hours a day seems a lot, but IDK. Maybe he has some secret tech that allows him so, would be nice if he shared it.

Last edited:
There are time where i play 15 hours a session, depend of the time and the game. That's not the point.

But for a CEO of a big company like Xbox, with Family and other hobbies (if he has ones), 2 hours a day seems a lot, but IDK. Maybe he has some secret tech that allows him so, would be nice if he shared it.
You'd think as the CEO he'd spend time actually playing the products he plans on selling. It isn't surprising at all that at least part of his day to day routine involves him playing games. I'd be concerned if he didn't.

Winter John

15 hours a week playing video games? Lol. Wut? Imagine the head of a video gaming division playing video games. Who does this guy think he's kidding? The absolute state of him. You know what Phil, how about you spend less time playing Uncharted, and more time crushing pussy like Jim Ryan.

PaintTinJr

This is a strange post, because we don't know about Phils gaming history before box very much, so you're basically making an assumption he had none, or very little.
It was in response to your OP which - paraphrasing - was that he;s definitely a real gamer because of this single 15hrs/week data point of gaming in his life.

My post merely pushes back against your assertion from your assumption does it not?

Even the context around someone's current habits would be normal eg he might have said: " I play about 15hrs a week now, but used to play 40 of Madden on Genesis at College with friends.", or " I've finally been able to make more time for gaming and I'm pretty happy I get to fit in 15hrs a week, now"..

It was his interview to sign off on, if he felt that info alone conveyed him being a gaf level gamer, to let hypemen tell the internet he's a big gamer, then maybe that tells us something too, who knows? But you created this thread to assert people were wrong to doubt his credentials, so the responsibility is yours to find that info - and maybe update the OP to strengthen your argument.

In hindsight would you agree that you've made a thread to assert something off of pretty inconclusive data?

Console wars have stooped to which ceo plays more games. Even console wars quality has taken a hit these days. It was much better back in the day.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Console wars have stooped to which ceo plays more games. Even console wars quality has taken a hit these days. It was much better back in the day.
We need more commitment from the higher ups. J. Allard showed us the way from XBOX to the 360.

The Console War should consume you and cause a full-scale makeover.

1Sv68Q9.jpg

DaGwaphics

I typically would play at least a bit every day. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people do. Where others might choose to watch TV, etc. I might choose to game. It's just a matter of how you choose to spend your free time.

In Spencer's case, I think its great that he has a personal enjoyment of gaming, gives him a better connection to it rather than just being a suit that is always thinking numbers.

DaGwaphics

This is my favorite meme of recent years.

It has a certain .. grandeur ..

EwOYdSAVEAMGghR

Xbox should move forward with those. The Xbox executive/developer glamour shot boxes, collect them all. :messenger_tongue:

At the very least they should all start photo shopping these and post them to their twitter accounts.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Mid 40s here, not too stressful job though but I can still relate. It’s not easy to find time to play, especially not in the living room with kids around. When do you let them see detailed AAA gaming violence? 11? 13? 15? I played games like Barbarian with head-chops at 9 but the graphics and violence is more detailed now. 17 seems overkill though, or maybe I’m just desentizised.

To be honest, I’m thinking of buying a second PS5 so I can play the more violent stuff in my room. Usually keep the consoles in the living room but I can’t be slaughtering people in front of my 8 year old.

Daymos

Woot 25 hours a week here, my life is awesome! Glad I'm not Phil Spencer, shove your workaholic capitalism religion.

Fredrik

To be honest, I’m thinking of buying a second PS5 so I can play the more violent stuff in my room. Usually keep the consoles in the living room but I can’t be slaughtering people in front of my 8 year old.
Lol yeah my youngest one is 6 so no slaughtering here either.
But yeah the thought of secondary consoles has crossed my mind as well. PC gaming is so much easier, I just close the door to that room or play on the Steam Deck.

It was in response to your OP which - paraphrasing - was that he;s definitely a real gamer because of this single 15hrs/week data point of gaming in his life.

My post merely pushes back against your assertion from your assumption does it not?

Even the context around someone's current habits would be normal eg he might have said: " I play about 15hrs a week now, but used to play 40 of Madden on Genesis at College with friends.", or " I've finally been able to make more time for gaming and I'm pretty happy I get to fit in 15hrs a week, now"..

It was his interview to sign off on, if he felt that info alone conveyed him being a gaf level gamer, to let hypemen tell the internet he's a big gamer, then maybe that tells us something too, who knows? But you created this thread to assert people were wrong to doubt his credentials, so the responsibility is yours to find that info - and maybe update the OP to strengthen your argument.

In hindsight would you agree that you've made a thread to assert something off of pretty inconclusive data?

A lot of junk and run around to say absolutely nothing, I posted this to show that he was a gamer, everything else is you filling in gaps with conjecture and speculation (and statements i never spoke), then spinning both of those as objective, then backtracked when i point out it didn't make sense.

You are also involving your personal definition of how many hours would meet your arbitrary criteria as enough to be a "gaf level gamer" so really it's you that needs to provide further elaboration in your thesis. As well as an explanation of why you took your assumption, then claimed it was mine, and based it on something I never said, but based on your own criteria?

Bizarre that this is one of the most active threads right now. Some dude saying he plays 15 hours a week. Honestly

harrison-ford-who-gives-a-shit.gif

The press apparently, they love the guy.

PaintTinJr

A lot of junk and run around to say absolutely nothing, I posted this to show that he was a gamer, everything else is you filling in gaps with conjecture and speculation (and statements i never spoke), then spinning both of those as objective, then backtracked when i point out it didn't make sense.

You are also involving your personal definition of how many hours would meet your arbitrary criteria as enough to be a "gaf level gamer" so really it's you that needs to provide further elaboration in your thesis. As well as an explanation of why you took your assumption, then claimed it was mine, and based it on something I never said, but based on your own criteria?

The press apparently, they love the guy.
Yeah that's exactly what I did
/S

I said that if Iwata played 2hrs/month he was clearly a gamer thru and thru from his gaming journey, so I set no bar for Phil at all for hours a week, quite the opposite if you had followed my replies to the first person to respond to me.

It is your thread and your assertion he is a gamer like us. I don't know either way, but from your lack of info, because the interview is just a hypeman sound bite, it is no more likely than unlikely IMO. from the info you have provided.

DaGwaphics

What exactly is a gaming journey and what constitutes a "real gamer" or a "gaf gamer"? 🤷‍♂️

Don't most people have the same gaming journey that begins either with an experience in the arcades or with a home console or PC (depending on the age of the gamer)?

Last edited:
Yeah that's exactly what I did
/S

I said that if Iwata played 2hrs/month he was clearly a gamer thru and thru from his gaming journey, so I set no bar for Phil at all for hours a week, quite the opposite if you had followed my replies to the first person to respond to me.

It is your thread and your assertion he is a gamer like us. I don't know either way, but from your lack of info, because the interview is just a hypeman sound bite, it is no more likely than unlikely IMO. from the info you have provided.
Lol

"bro iwata had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to game, 2 hours of monthly gaming for him= more than 15 for Spencer per week"

This is how dumb you sound

Phil's gamer score is 88k, the guy obviously plays games, for whatever reason you seem very intent on believing that he's not a gamer, despite literally no evidence

What exactly is a gaming journey and what constitutes a "real gamer" or a "gaf gamer"? 🤷‍♂️

Don't most people have the same gaming journey that begins either with an experience in the arcades or with a home console or PC (depending on the age of the gamer)?
For whatever reason the guy just seems to think that Japanese gaming is more pure than western.

Therefore iwata journey is enlightened despite his own suggested 2 hours/month for iwata, over capitalist swine spencer and his tainted 15 hours a week.

Spencer said that his upcoming most anticipated game is Ragnarok, the man isn't even locked to gaming on Xbox/pc. Dunno what this guy expected spencer to say after the 15 hours comment, that's a significant amount of time.

Top Bottom