• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer inducted into the 'Variety 500' 2022 edition, being recognized for his accomplishments in Business. (Live-Action Halo, Activision Deal)

https://variety.com/variety-500/
Welcome to the sixth annual edition of Variety500, an index of the 500 most influential business leaders shaping the global media industry.

Updated Dec. 28, 2022, the Variety500 reflects the accomplishments of its members over the previous 12 months. They were selected by the Variety editorial board, which conducted extensive research for its selections.
Phil_Spencer_v4.png

After Microsoft acquired ZeniMax and its lauded publisher Bethesda for $7.5 billion in 2020, Spencer and the tech giant shocked the industry in January 2022 by announcing a plan to acquire “Call of Duty” owner Activision Blizzard for $69 billion. The deal will also bring Blizzard’s “World of Warcraft” and “Overwatch” into the fold alongside “Candy Crush” and other popular mobile games from King, though there are caveats. Several lawsuits against Activision Blizzard allege years of widespread misconduct that went as high as CEO Bobby Kotick, and a state investigation into the company is still ongoing. Furthermore, regulatory scrutiny of the deal, which was expected to be finalized in 2023, has now culminated in the FTC attempting to block it. Otherwise, there is at last a live-action adaptation of signature Xbox franchise “Halo” that premiered on Paramount+ in March.

Seems when I found Ryan I somehow missed Phil two pages before.

Phil Spencer has also won a place in the Variety 500, mostly due to the Activision Deal negotiations (similar to the Bloomberg 50 induction) and the Halo TV show adaption on Paramount plus. It seems like gaming leaders really did well in 2022.

It looks like both Sony and Microsoft had entrants this year, congratulations to both!

Last edited:
Next post: “ Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin inducted into the Variety 500 2022 edition, being recognized for his contribution for creating divisive threads”
These type of posts are very baity.
I can see couple of people getting mad about it.

He made two threads about a magazine giving props to both CEOs and you guys are saying it's divisive, but you guys DIDN'T consider it divisive when there was ONLY the Jim Ryan thread until recently?

NeoGAF ladies and gentlemen.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
"Otherwise, there is at last a live-action adaptation of signature Xbox franchise “Halo” that premiered on Paramount+ in March. "

thats an achievement?

feynoob

Banned
He made two threads about a magazine giving props to both CEOs and you guys are saying it's divisive, but you guys DIDN'T consider it divisive when there was ONLY the Jim Ryan thread until recently?

NeoGAF ladies and gentlemen.
You must have not seen his other threads.

ZehDon

Convincing Microsoft to invest USD$77b into Xbox is certainly an achievement. Microsoft's work with Game Pass is also industry leading. Both happened under Spencer, so I say well deserved.

The less said about that Halo mess the better, though I'm happy to blame 343i's creatives for letting the show butcher the legacy. Horrible adaptation.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"Otherwise, there is at last a live-action adaptation of signature Xbox franchise “Halo” that premiered on Paramount+ in March. "

thats an achievement?
The achievement is for making the deal, not the quality of the show. Also, the Halo show has so much potential... It's sad to see how shitty it is

BabyYoda

Banned
He should get a Razzie for the Halo show, it stank even more than Halo Infinite (former Halo fan here).

Top Bottom